Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ultimate Sacrifice

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited June 2013 in Diet & Habits
There's a video doing the rounds on the internet, variously titled "5 foods that will make you fat/are supposedly healthy but aren't/are bad for you/will not let you lose weight!"
Basically, it's a dumb promo ad/information video that gives you those 5 foods (in about 3 minutes) - but also gives you 57 minutes of self-promoting, repetitive hyped-up jargon, about a specific diet programme, fitness club, health organisation, that they want you to join. They string the video out to the max and pack it with loads of unhealthy, fattening, pointless information and 'come-ons' that frankly make you want to slash your wrists....It's mind-numbingly boring, particularly as you KNOW what they're doing - butr you want to hear about these damn 5 foods, get ON WITH IT!!!!

Very often, they'll use a banana as an illustration, to entice you into thinking, "hang on, I thought bananas were good for you!"

They are.
bananas aren't one of the foods.

So: For your information, and in order to assist you lead fuller lives, and not waste a complete hour sitting listening to some over-paid advertising promoter, here are the 5 foods you "should never eat" if you want to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.

Only one of these 'surprised me'.

1: Concentrated fruit juices (particularly orange).
2: Margarine
3: Wholewheat bread
4: Processed soya products (tofu, milk, and whatever else don't look like the bean)
5: GM sweetcorn.

I eat none of those, BtW....

So, thank me for this perfectly useless information, if it was useful to you.
And no. I'm NOT intending to join the "Trim Down Club" any time soon. Not even for the amazingly low sum of £29.00 plus 4 free gifts.

No.
personSillyPuttyseeker242ZeroCheBeejWonderingSeeker

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see their evidence re GM sweetcorn. So far apart from emoting, and references to Frankenfood, ( and a vague feeling in Buddhist circles that GM is somehow unBuddhist ) there isn't any....
    Invincible_summermithril
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, you'll just have to watch the video. I missed out the boring scientific bits. But there's only a 'pause' facility - and it's right at the end so you'll have to sit through it like I did.
    In fairness, they did post links to back up their so-called food facts - but there again, you can say that everything is bad for you, in unwholesome amounts....
  • Total nonsense, of course. I will never watch the infomercial you mention, but none of these foods are especially harmful or particular fattening in the right amounts. I suspect the "science" spouted in the video is the typical pseudoscience or distorted conclusions that huskers always try to use.

vinlynSillyPuttymithril
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Y'all should know where I come from in terms of eating by now. But in terms of things you should never eat, it's simple, really. Just use moderation. But it is probably best to stay away from anything that comes in a bag or a box. The fresher and more alive your food, the better. The more processed, the more you should avoid it. That simple.
    riverflowInvincible_summerBeejDharmaMcBum
  • My general rule of thumb: If it contains any ingredients that you don't know how to pronounce, it is probably not healthy.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    So....no porridge...no brown rice....no lentils....no pasta....no chickpeas ? They all come in bags or boxes.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I have developed a Pavlovian arm twitch that shakes my mouse off anything remotely evangelical but thanks anyway for the heads up.
    Invincible_summerCheBeej
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I try to eat as clean as possible. We make our own bread (I'm still experimenting with doing so with other flours, because I'm allergic to wheat). Most of the problem with juice is that it's a lot of calories that don't make you full, so especially with children, people feel them juice all day long and it adds unnecessary calories and tons of sugar on their teeth throughout the whole day. I don't really watch any of those ads and such when they show up. They all contradict themselves anyhow, lol. There isn't much that is bad for everyone. There is a lot that is bad for someone. Knowing what is bad for you is the key, and it can take a lot of work for one to figure that out.

I personally don't believe GM foods are good for us, and I personally would rather not eat them so I am a fan of labeling, which we do not do in the US. So I avoid as much as possible foods that are known to contain them. What we eat literally changes our genes, and when the farther away a food is from it's actual natural source, the worse the effects tend to be. That said, I don't usually go by reading tons of articles to determine what is good for me. I have a really good sense of my body and tend to know inherently what is good and what is not.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2013
    how said:

I have developed a Pavlovian arm twitch that shakes my mouse off anything remotely evangelical but thanks anyway for the heads up.

You see - ?? YOU SEE - ?!? The sacrifices I make for youz guys.... huh, there's gratitude fer you!! heads up? HEADS UP?? I nigh on saved your life!!

:lol:
    Che
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Federica
    There is nothing that makes a heads up warning more important than when finding oneself about to lie face down in a 2" evangelical puddle. :bowdown:
    federica
  • That video is the worst! I only lasted about 15 minutes. All I wanted to know was the names of the five foods! You definitely made a sacrifice there.

It sucks to hear that about wholewheat bread and soy products. I love soy milk and other products made from soya.
    Invincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    What is the matter with whole wheat bread?
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2013
    federica said:

5 foods you "should never eat" if you want to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.

1: Concentrated fruit juices (particularly orange).
    2: Margarine
    3: Wholewheat bread
    4: Processed soya products (tofu, milk, and whatever else don't look like the bean)
    5: GM sweetcorn.

What is the word I'm looking for here? "Bullocks"? Or "Bollocks"? One of those, not sure which one! I'm an American!

:lol:
    lobster
    Jeffrey said:

Actually, I think they were really struggling with this one... see, they were trying to say it's the carbs. And they figure people are eating carbs/protein in the wrong proportions, and it sets of 'fat retention'...TbH, I had time to get off my ever-decreasing ass and go make myself a cup of tea and she was STILL banging on about the combinations of food being wrong - but, get this: All the illustrations used, were with WHITE bread..... :rolleyes:

It was just one big, boringly repetitive advertising promo for the "Trim Down Club" and frankly, it was horrifically nauseating. I kept yelling at the screen, "For F***'s sake JUST GET ON WITH IT!!!"

(I somehow don't think she heard me, which is why the video has no means of being advanced, as they have on youtube.... they like to keep their audience riveted....)

And @seeker242.... it's with an 'o'. But 'bullocks' works, when you consider Bovine Scatology.....
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
    The only - ONLY food, I agree is extremely bad for you, is margarine. I won't touch the stuff.
  • Eat smart, eat little. You'll be fine.
    lobsterSillyPutty
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited June 2013
    are concentrated fruit juices bad for health? - i do not know, so asking - i mean the juices which we get in markets in boxes and bottles with labelling as fresh pure juices, without preservatives and chemicals. any ideas, please. thanks in advance.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    My grandma used to say 'A little of what you fancy does you good'. But then she was alive before we started interfering with food on such a grand scale. She also believed that eating a 'peck' of dirt a day was good for us, which seems like good sense.
    adventuress
    Concentrated juices are not as good for you as "freshly squeezed" or ordinary fruit, because in order to concentrate the juice, it has to go thorough a whole lot of chemical and mechanical processes, which remove a lot of the goodness. Often, sugar is added to bulk the juice back up.

Juice is commonly concentrated with a piece of equipment known as a 'Thermally Accelerated Short-Time Evaporator', or TASTE (!) for short. TASTE uses steam to heat the juice under vacuum, which enables the water content to be evaporated. Concentrated juice is then discharged to a vacuum flash cooler, which reduces the product temperature to about 55.4° F (13° C), very quickly. The pulp is separated from the juice by ultra-filtration and pasteurised. The clarified juice containing the volatile flavourings is concentrated at 50° F (10° C) by reverse osmosis and the concentrate and the pulp are recombined to produce the appropriate juice concentration. Juice concentrate is then stored in refrigerated stainless steel bulk tanks until is ready to be packaged or reconstituted.
    Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

Read more here.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/understanding-concentrate-juice.html#b
    Jeffreylobster
  • are concentrated fruit juices bad for health? - i do not know, so asking - i mean the juices which we get in markets in boxes and bottles with labelling as fresh pure juices, without preservatives and chemicals. any ideas, please. thanks in advance.

Fruit juices contain a lot of sugar. So do the fruits they are made from. Not particularly "bad" for you if you drink them in moderation, like any source of calories.

Really, there is no secret list of foods that if you consume or avoid will make a huge difference in your health. Mostly, we tend to eat too much and not exercise enough and no list of foods to avoid is going to fix that.

My wife is a diabetic and so avoids certain foods because it makes her blood sugar spike. Curiously enough, refined sugar isn't one of them. Diabetics can eat sugar or a candy bar once in a while. Sugar is just a carbohydrate, not a poison. She can have a spoonful of sugar in her coffee with no problem, but eating a slice of white bread makes her readings spike while a slice of wheat bread has no effect. Cheap hotdogs also mess up her blood sugar levels, while all beef hotdogs are OK. Over time she's learned what she can and can't eat.

The main thing is, she eats four meals a day with a small snack between them but less amounts for each meal. Turns out that's a healthy way to eat. That's why people who follow the monk's "eat a couple of big meals and then starve yourself after noon" type living isn't the healthiest one for a lot of people. But our bodies are designed to handle a lot of variation in our diet habits.
    lobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Florian said:

My grandma used to say 'A little of what you fancy does you good'. But then she was alive before we started interfering with food on such a grand scale. She also believed that eating a 'peck' of dirt a day was good for us, which seems like good sense.

You sure about that? A peck = "2 gallons or 8 dry quarts or 16 dry pints".

There is an old saying that my grandmother often stated: "You've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die"....but a peck a day???

person
  • Do they even sell margarine anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw it.

The GM thing kinda annoys me though. All genes do is make proteins. So what if they put a fish gene in a tomato, it's not different to eating fish in tomato sauce once it's in your stomach.
    Invincible_summer
  • they still sell margarine. Tub margarine is OK (no trans fats), it's the stick margarine you need to avoid.
    personInvincible_summer
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    I don't know why we keep doing it to ourselves. Nobody is really forcing us to take part in this nonsense. I know i personally read news, and they are exactly of the type you describe. FUD, adds, whatnot, its not pretty, and not true either.

As far as i know the Buddha didn't agree with gossiping around mindlessly, but what about other people going on with it? It is horrible.

Some people or websites are like that - they make one want to substitute ones brains with teflon - their shit just sticks everywhere! I can find myself thinking over their bullshit instead of enjoying the moment. :sawed:

I'll keep of dreaming of the lotus; mud all around, but still all clean and blossoming.

This is poison. Aversion (and attraction, and indifference) are worse then any physical poison you could consume. There is something wrong with the margarine. Whatever it is, it is not in the margarine -.-' This much i know. :o
    Lighten up...this is diet and habits, not advanced ideas..... ;)
    lobsterBeej
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Citta said:

So....no porridge...no brown rice....no lentils....no pasta....no chickpeas ? They all come in bags or boxes.

I think you know what I meant, @Citta. :lol: It was basically my way of saying no processed foods.

• Jeffrey said:

More and more people are finding that they cannot handled processed wheat (more specifically, the gluten). You really have to pay attention to the label to see if it's really "whole wheat bread" or just white processed bread in disguise. When I did eat bread (I have cut back since on bread/pastas a lot), I'd always make my own in the bread maker with spelt flour. Spelt is a form of wheat but much better for you and has a lower glycemic index.
    JeffreyriverflowInvincible_summer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Indeed, "whole wheat" bread only needs to contain a portion of whole grains. It may be a low portion, and the bread may also be made with sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup. Not good.
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    That's a problem in my house. My mom doesn't like dense bread and so she buys 'multi-grain' bread. On the lable it has a lot of fiber but I still don't trust it because it is not dense.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I got my mom to buy Triscuits and Wheat Thins.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran

More and more people are finding that they cannot handled processed wheat (more specifically, the gluten). You really have to pay attention to the label to see if it's really "whole wheat bread" or just white processed bread in disguise. When I did eat bread (I have cut back since on bread/pastas a lot), I'd always make my own in the bread maker with spelt flour. Spelt is a form of wheat but much better for you and has a lower glycemic index.

Why do you think white bread contains more gluten then does whole wheat bread?

edited June 2013
    Both breads have about the same amount.
    Wholewheat bread just has more of the wheat grain's component parts, including more fibre.

people might like to check this out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheat-Belly-Davis-William-MD/dp/1609611543
  • I saw a 'dietician' recently on TV spouting about some diet or other. She was hugely obese. This doesn't necessarily negate her advice, but neither am I persuaded by honed and toned 'buff' fitness gurus telling me I can exercise my way to a six-pack and look like them.

Nations have a variety of terrible diets available. Tibetans, for example - high fat, salt etc. and plenty of heart problems, even without fast food joints.

Truth, as I have found it: Eat more calories than you consume, you put on fat. Exercise will make you fitter and may boost metabolism - a little. To burn off a chocolate bar, say 600 calories, will take you an hour of intensive exercise. Doctors, nurses and other experts in nutrition seem to be as prone to fatness or dropping dead jogging as the rest of us.

Have to admit it - there are very few really bad foods and Mum was right - 'moderation in all things' is the best way. I am unlikely ever to follow Mum's advice. ;)
    lobsterInvincible_summer
    I found this picture the other day....
    let's firstly admit that the lady on the right has lost some weight, and has apparently had a course of botox - to which she reacted badly, and as such has not repeated.

However, having watched both ladies on TV, I still feel the person on the right is one i would aspire to, rather than the lady on the left. She in turn has had to make drastic changes to some of her advice and recommendations, as they have been proven to be without foundation, substance or veracity. She even had to drop the title 'Doctor' because the provenance of her qualification was dubious. To put it generously.....
    I exceeded my calorific limit today, but I have what i would delicately term as my 'monthly munchies'.... It happens to ladies, sadly.... I didn't exceed it by much, but tomorrow is a fast day, so I'm cool with 'slipping' now and then.
    I'm sure as heck damned if I'm going to become obsessive about this.......
    lobster
  • Its not what you eat...its how you eat it...is it a sacrament...we are eaters of the dead...but what do you do with it?
    Cittariverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Florian said:

You sure about that? A peck = "2 gallons or 8 dry quarts or 16 dry pints".

There is an old saying that my grandmother often stated: "You've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die"....but a peck a day???

Hmm. True. Maybe she didn't say a peck and I dreamt that bit. Either that or your gran paid more attention in class.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Florian said:

My Gran used the same expression. On one occasion finding grit in his portion of cabbage my grandfather complained and my grandmother intoned her usual reply ' You've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die.' ' Maybe ' replied granddad ' but not the whole peck in one go '.
    ZerovinlynmithrilCinorjer
    edited June 2013
    No, the correct saying IS eating 'a peck o' dirt before you die'. It's basically an admonishment on trying to be too sanitary and fastidious about what we eat. And there's truth in the matter.

Many current food allergies have been put down to the over-elimination of natural 'germs and bacteria' which we would naturally build up an immunity to, if exposed to minute quantities...Instead, we go for sanitised, pre-packaged, sterilised food which looks fresh, clean....boring, bland and unappetising.

A cross-section of children questioned in a school, failed to make the connection between this - and this, these and this, or particularly, these, and these.

Many children absolutely refused to believe these items were in any way connected to their original animals.

We have become so clinical about our food, its provenance, processing and preparation, that we have completely lost touch with the essence and nature of a good diet. We eat strawberries in December, and parsnips in July. Our internal clocks are completely knocked off kilter, and natural eating has become a thing of the past.

I've taken a health and Hygiene Food standards course. My kitchen is clean. But I'm not into this crap about killing all germs 99.99% dead. And look at me, I'm not dead yet, either.
    lobsterMaryAnneInvincible_summer
    Yes, I agree Federica that we often overdo the food cleanliness aspect. Many Japanese have trouble with our food cleanliness here in the States...we're not clean enough. Many Thais I know who live in the States get sick when they return to Thailand. It's all relative. But clearly we need to build up resistances to be truly healthy.
    Invincible_summer
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    federica said:

My kitchen is clean.

Germs eh? Don't tell them about the human microbiome.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Do you remember Mr Thin? Dietary needs and understanding have moved on since those times.

Some of us will know how when blood sugar gets low, so does our mindfullness. Others will have allergies or difficulties with healthy foods.
    Really I feel we each require what works for us . . . Water is quite good . . . mostly . . . :)
    mithril said:

federica said:

My kitchen is clean.

Germs eh? Don't tell them about the human microbiome.

I know about them already.
    That's why my Kitchen is merely 'clean'. Not 'sterile'.
    MaryAnne
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    grows.
    Nevermind said:

grows.

..... :scratch:
    mithril
  • lobster said:

Sorry to drag up an older thread, but what the deuce is that thing?

It's clearly a statue of the fasting Buddha.
    It's an extremely damaged and un-restored, fragmented statue, depicting the Buddha during the time he practised extreme asceticism... and finally decided "This is NOT a good idea. I'm HUNGRY!!"
    riverflowChrysalidmithril