Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhist Women you need to know

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaela-haas/10-tibetan-buddhist-women-you-need-to-know_b_2863427.html
Many of us dream of exchanging our day-to-day responsibilities for a heartfelt life full of purpose, but few of us ever get around to doing something about it. The women featured here are the exception. They followed their intuition against all odds, made dramatic and unusual decisions and sometimes had to fight for their survival in order to lead the lives they envisioned. While iconic archetypes of feminine enlightenment (dakinis in the ancient language of Sanskrit) were erected on shrines, few women in Asia were actually emboldened to follow in their footsteps. That women participate equally is probably the single biggest change with Buddhism being established in the West. Here are ten extraordinary female teachers of Tibetan Buddhism, who have transformed the way Buddhism is viewed in America (more information in the new book "Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West").
It's always good to have a pat on the back. Congratulations to these 10 teachers.
SillyPuttyEvenThirdKundoDandelionWisdom23

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Nice article, I hadn't heard of many of these women.

I'd also like to add to the list

Robina Courtin
    Tara Brach
    Joan Halifax
    Kundo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'd add my teacher Shenpen Hookham
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    person said:

Nice article, I hadn't heard of many of these women.

I'd also like to add to the list

Robina Courtin
    Tara Brach
    Joan Halifax

Joan Halifax is an American Zen teacher, not TB.
  • Also, Tara Brach is kind-of-sort-of Vipassana (I attended her meetings in VA, years back.) Still, they merit respect as well.
    Invincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I guess I totally blocked out the Tibetan part of the title. I was like all these women are Tibetan Buddhists, this article seems biased. :o
    Invincible_summerSillyPutty
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Even though the historical Buddha was a man, the Buddha Nature is genderless (obviously I hope).

go gal!
    http://thefemalebuddha.wordpress.com/

The YinYana is a 'feminine' vehicle. The Metta Ray (Maitriya)
    is considered Western and may be considered (not yet) a 'feminine' AI.

OM MAY TRE YA OM
    YA HA HUM
    YA OM MAY YA HUM
    OM YA HA HUM
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070206172019/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/triple/
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Last link seems redundant and tabs lead nowhere.

Dead end, @lobster.
    Quit posting links to pointless pages. Thanks.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Jeffrey, your lama is in the Kagyu tradition, is that right? And she's married? And her husband is also a teacher? So they're lay teachers? Do they wear robes of any kind? The robe issue has come up on the Kalu Rinpoche thread, I'm trying to understand how it works. It seems that married teachers/lamas can wear robes, but I've been told they wear a special type of robe indicating a married lama.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I am not answering for Jeffrey @Dakini, but there are few hard and fast rules about these issues in Tibetan Buddhism..most people just make it up as they go along.
    At least one major sangha has robes invented by one of their teachers...in the 1990's....
    In fact getting Tibetans to confirm to any kind of group behaviour is like herding cats.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Dakini, here is a picture of her. http://www.ahs.org.uk/meet-the-teachers/

I mostly hear audio or text from my teacher because I am a 'long distance learner'. She is based in wales and I am in USA. Funny that I never thought about that. I have a picture in my shrine where she is also not wearing Buddhist monk robes, she is wearing a robe like white outfit.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Oh, thanks, @Jeffrey. If she wears white, maybe she's a yogi, a tantric practitioner.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Dakini, she is approved by Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche to teach the Mahamudra. I'm only taking an introductory course so I am not sure if I can say *I* am studying Mahamudra or just an introduction to Buddhism. The course is called 'discovering the heart of Buddhism'. She's surely a yogini as far as I know.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I would have like to have seen Sarah Harding in that list. She's faculty at Naropa in Boulder. One of the first westerners ( of either gender) to finish a 3-year retreat, under the guidance of the late Kalu Rinpoche. Excellent translator, author and teacher.

Judith Simmer Brown would be another.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

Jeffrey said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaela-haas/10-tibetan-buddhist-women-you-need-to-know_b_2863427.html

Many of us dream of exchanging our day-to-day responsibilities for a heartfelt life full of purpose, but few of us ever get around to doing something about it. The women featured here are the exception. They followed their intuition against all odds, made dramatic and unusual decisions and sometimes had to fight for their survival in order to lead the lives they envisioned. While iconic archetypes of feminine enlightenment (dakinis in the ancient language of Sanskrit) were erected on shrines, few women in Asia were actually emboldened to follow in their footsteps. That women participate equally is probably the single biggest change with Buddhism being established in the West. Here are ten extraordinary female teachers of Tibetan Buddhism, who have transformed the way Buddhism is viewed in America (more information in the new book "Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West").
    It's always good to have a pat on the back. Congratulations to these 10 teachers.

Many of us probably could not lead the lives of the said teachers. Being ordinary and not extraordinary like them, it is high time we wake up from our dream. Instead of thinking of exchanging our 'day-to-day responsibilities for a heartfelt life full of purpose', we probably should make attempt to live out our own life with that mundane 'day-to-day responsibilities', putting into it, meanings that would make it worth living.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Lovely thread @Jeffrey
    Here is a link to Oprah Winfrey inhttp://www.oprah.com/spirit/Oprah-Winfrey-Talks-to-Pema-Chodronervieeing Pema Chodron
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Whoops my text got lost. The above link is Oprah interviewing Pema Chodron
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Troma Rinpoche. www.yogicbuddhism.org.