Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eightfold Path post-its

I used to post up wee gathas here and there in my apartment as mindful reminders to myself. As an experiment, I've decided to try something similar but using the Eightfold Noble Path.

I've made small notes which I've posted up with double-sided tape in strategic locations of the 8FNP with a brief summary in my own words (I've taken a liking to the word "sound" rather than "right" based on Glenn Wallis' comments).

"Sound speech" is by the bathroom mirror, to be seen while brushing my teeth. "Sound livelihood" is next to my closet upstairs to be seen every morning I get dressed for work. "Sound action" is by the front door before walking out. "Sound Concentration" is in my meditation space, "Sound Mindfulness" by my laptop, etc.

I've attached a few photos. Anyway, I wanted to share this as a nifty idea others here might want to put to good use as well.

seeker242federicaVastmindSillyPuttyJainarayanDandelionGlowMaryAnnekarmabluesInvincible_summerzenmysteLucy_BegoodDavidbfg84Jeffreystavros388

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Love those! I printed some out and hung them in frames around our house as well. I'm not exactly a creative person so I use a lot of TNH's gathas from his books as well, his one book (Peace Is Every Step) has so many of them for all types of things during the day and I found it really useful for all of us (even the non-Buddhists in the house) to put them in opportune places. Plus they are great constant reminders for me.
    riverflow
  • Yep, it's an excellent idea. I have things like that in my cubicle at work. I have photos of physiques I'd like to attain on the pantry door and refrigerator with captions like Do you see this in the mirror? One bit of advice I'd give is to switch them around every now and again. Change their locations, the color and size of the paper, anything to not become desensitized to them, like the wallpaper pattern.
    riverflowVastmind
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Great idea!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I suggest:

SOUND
    HUMOR
    Lighten up and don't
    take yourself so seriously.
    zenmyste
  • Nevermind said:

I suggest:

SOUND
    HUMOR
    Lighten up and don't
    take yourself so seriously.

I second that! LOL
  • I have a couple of post-its (the literal Post-it Notes with my own handwriting) decorating spots on my desk and my credenza at my office. On those, I've simply listed the N8FP. It gives me some peace to just review them throughout the day.
    riverflowVastmindkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    riverflowLucy_BegoodChe
  • lobster said:

1. Chop firewood
    2. Fetch water
    VastmindlobsterLucy_Begood
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I did the same thing in my last apartment but haven't done so here yet. I find it helps not only in being mindful but also in being joyful.
    riverflow
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    good idea, being new to Buddhism I find even though I start out with the right intention old habits keep on creeping back without me even knowing! a constant reminder would do me good....
    riverflow
  • BlondelBlondel Veteran
    Where does this Eightfold Path lead to?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Blondel said:

Where does this Eightfold Path lead to?

It is a path to realization of wisdom and end to worldliness.

• lol...
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2013
    It is a path to realization of wisdom and end to worldliness
    I knew it.
    Been going in the wrong direction again. Been heading for the world and the realization of stupidity.

Time for a post it note:

This post it note is posted
    Jeffrey
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I have but one note stuck to a door in my house.
    "Open your mouth and you're wrong."
    -Soen Sa Nim
    Jeffreylobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @lobster, wisdom can be to notice that your fly is open! Yes. Yes. The post its are creeping into our heads. All we want is to space loose.
  • CheChe Veteran
    So how long have you been married @Gui :D
    Gui