Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone know about Taoism? Is Taoism just another path to enlightenment or is it something different?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2013 in General Banter
Buddhism is a 'practice' that can guide us towards Enlightenment!!!!

Is Taoism something completely different or are 'they' (taoists) also seeking Enlightenment?

Comments

• PatrPatr Veteran
    Since Taoism is Chinese based, so from a Chinese viewpoint,....

Taoism is acknowledged as a lower level of practice than Buddhism.

But do not be disheartened, since we build from the ground up.
    As mentioned, we learn from the ground up and many people are predisposed to Taoism.

Primary school is as important as secondary as is graduate status.

Tao te ching means ethical sutra, direct translation.
  • So Taoists 'are' seeking Enlightenment? Just like Buddhists?
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Err, their destination is heaven, namely heaven of the 33, as oppoosed to Nirvana
  • zenmyste said:

Buddhism is a 'practice' that can guide us towards Enlightenment!!!!

Is Taoism something completely different or are 'they' (taoists) also seeking Enlightenment?

Tao means "way" or "path". It is ineffable. Taken in its entirety the Tao is strikingly similar to the Hindu Brahman.

The opening lines of the Tao Te Ching, the main book of Taoism are

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao.
    The name that can be named is not the Eternal Name.
    The Nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth.
    The named is the mother of myriad things.

To me this indicates dependent origin, and inherent emptiness of objects, not unlike that of Buddhism and Advaita.

Taoism has several subsets, including philosophical Taoism, which is non-theistic; and theistic and religious Taoism which can include a myriad of gods and goddesses, adopted from Chinese folk religion, or be a simpler version.

Taoism espouses a cycle of change, so it does not deny the possibility of rebirth. The ultimate goal is immortality, which could be considered liberation. Taoism doesn't deny it.

The Wikipedia article is pretty good http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism The citations and references are extensive.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Patr said:

Not by me.
    Then again . . . I don't practice Buddhism (whatever that is) either . . .
    http://personaltao.com/taoism-library/articles/taoism-101/
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    It's different, sometimes almost contradictory, but generally complimentary.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Patr said:

Primary school is as important as secondary as is graduate status.

That's fighting talk @Patr. Acknowledged by whom?

• PatrPatr Veteran
    Acknowledged by the overwhelming majority of Taoists in Asia, its actually general knowledge.

Apart from the Taoist masters views, goto any Taoist temple and the Buddhas / Bodhisattvas placement on the altars have the most important position.

In the Dharma, the Taoist realms are known and described, look up the Heaven of the 33, where Deva Sakyaraja is the King of the Taoist gods. Need I say more.
  • As one beginning to incorporate Taoism into my "dangerous touchy-feely salad bar mentality" of practices (as stated by a rabid Hindutvavadi on another site), I think of Taoism as the tofu of the philosophical world... it takes on any flavors it's mixed with. :D
  • Posted in another thread

"If I many make an observation, that is way over simplified, generalized and without any basis but my own speculative meanderings.
    Buddhism is in the head, Judeo/Christian/Muslim is in the heart and Tao/aboriginal/indian is in the gut. None are superior or inferior…but just different and perhaps operating out/from a different chakra."

to expand...

Tao is about just "knowing" and is more of a naturalistic or closer to nature's cycles, rhythm and deities. Therefore more of a gut intuitive orientation.

Judeo/Christian/Muslim talk about heart, love, compassion, grace; more of an emotional/affective orientation.

Buddhism is logical and psychological with focus techniques...thus more of a head thing.

Of course each has their exoteric and esoteric schools and orientations with lots of similarities and overlap...each is a valid path.
    riverflowlobster
  • Taoism is a practice similar to Zen
    "To ask a question about the Tao is to ask a question about Zen"

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Taoism is a practice similar to Zen
    "To ask a question about the Tao is to ask a question about Zen"

Good plan
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org//viewtopic.php?f=115&t=9782#p150006
    Tao Now,
    Ask questions later

may go on my official Zen T-shirt . . . either that or 'gay cowboy sex' . . .

Yee Ha!
  • The Heaven of the 33 would be good enough for me. Just sayin'.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'm holding out for heaven of the 34 myself.

Heaven has no top as hell has no bottom.

Happy Dharma day; it's the fourth of July. As some people on facebook think it is americas 2013 birthday. Hey. Who needs history?
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Patr said:

Acknowledged by the overwhelming majority of Taoists in Asia, its actually general knowledge.

Apart from the Taoist masters views, goto any Taoist temple and the Buddhas / Bodhisattvas placement on the altars have the most important position.

In the Dharma, the Taoist realms are known and described, look up the Heaven of the 33, where Deva Sakyaraja is the King of the Taoist gods. Need I say more.

Well, yes. Quite a lot more. I could pick out some silliness from Buddhist doctrine about gods and devils and dismiss Buddhism on that basis. I'm talking about Taoism as described in its founding text.

I can accept that Buddhism is a more fully developed method. It's the best of all of them imho. But to say that Taoism is a lower level of practice is a rather different claim.

Jeffrey
  • Lower level?
    Higher level?
    Gods?
    Ignorance is bliss!