Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

i hope this is in the right place......

Hi all, my names Dan and im from the UK.
ive had an interest in Buddhism and respect for it teachings for a number of years.
I have however lived a very self destructive and selfish life that has lead me on many occasions to various periods of depression.
it has only been the last year that ive connected my behaviour with my unhappiness and that for some reason reminded me of the little I knew about Buddhism.
I look forward to learning more about Buddhism and doing my best to put some of the teachings into practice.
cheers

Dan
riverflowTheEccentriczombiegirlshanyinInvincible_summerDotClobsterWisdom23Kundo

Comments

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Hello Dan, and welcome :)
  • Hi, Dan. I hope you find your newfound exploration of Buddhism fruitful!
    Theswingisyellow
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Welcome Dan! That's pretty much where we all start. "Ummm... holy moly I'm generating this feeling of ick? Guess its time to learn how to play." It all turns into fertilizer (which we need) so don't bother with regret. :)

With warmth,
    Matt
    VastmindriverflowpersonTheswingisyellow
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Wonderful people and wonderful insights here. We are all on the same path, welcome!!
    Todd
    riverflowkarmablues
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Sounds like you are in the right place to me Dan...welcome..

_/\_
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Welcome we all just want to be happy! So lets get started on the path, a single step in the right direction and always more and more.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    welcome. Dogen said - to know delusion as delusion is enlightenment itself. So relax. let go of the past and future, just be fully in now. no judging, no grasping, no rejecting. just fully accepting whatever is happening in present moment.
    riverflow
  • Hi Dan:) welcome! I'd say you're in a good place to start! If you're interested- my favorite book on mindfulness is Bhante Gunaratana's Mindfulness in Plain English. Course I'd say your cushion matters most:)!
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    thank you all for the warm welcome...
    riverflow
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer

Hi Dan:) welcome! I'd say you're in a good place to start! If you're interested- my favorite book on mindfulness is Bhante Gunaratana's Mindfulness in Plain English. Course I'd say your cushion matters most:)!

I will take your recommendation and give it ago as to be honest Im not really sure where to start lol!
    Any more recommendations?

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited June 2013
    bfg84 said:

Hi Dan:) welcome! I'd say you're in a good place to start! If you're interested- my favorite book on mindfulness is Bhante Gunaratana's Mindfulness in Plain English. Course I'd say your cushion matters most:)!

I will take your recommendation and give it ago as to be honest Im not really sure where to start lol!
    Any more recommendations?

@bfg84 - this small book list, in effect, represents my introduction to Buddhism-- books that have helped me:

Buddhism 101
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    It's good to see another Dan around! :)

If you're looking for book recommendations, I'd say that A Still Forest Pool and Peace is Every Step are pretty good places to start, in addition to what has already been mentioned.
    karmablues
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Once a student went to see his master and said "all this buddhist study is nonesense.."

The master replied; "your right, however i usually leave that teaching for my more advanced students"

Read books if you want.. (If u really feel you need to) but bare in mind there will come a time where you'll hit a break wall again... And no book is giving you answers... What then??? PRACTICE, LIVE LIFE is the answer...

Some people read alot, make notes (some even hang them up around the house *rolls eyes*) but this wont bring us 'nearer' to understanding the way!

Its only when we chuck everything out and simply live 'ordinary'... that enlightenment comes.. We finally GET IT!
  • zenmyste said:

Its only when we chuck everything out and simply live 'ordinary'... that enlightenment comes.. We finally GET IT!

A concert pianist, in order to "sound natural," paradoxcally must first devote their practice to doing scales and many more finger exercises many times a day. Only after such practice can the concert pianist play naturally, organically, allowing the music to come without effort.

The saying goes that once you cross the river, one doesn't continue to carry the raft. The mistake I seem to see more often lies in wanting to ditch the raft when one hasn't yet completely crossed.

Don't mistake Buddhism as a one-size-fits-all proposition, a truth which one can state definitively, exhaustively and unilaterally:

"Therefore, Mahamati, bodhisattvas are not attached to words but expound the teachings of the sutras according to what is appropriate. Because the longings and afflictions of beings are not the same, I and other buddhas teach different teachings to beings with different levels of understanding..." ~ Lankavatara Sutra (translated by Red Pine)

Anyone can state Buddhist doctrines "correctly," but if stated unskillfully, the statement becomes inappropriate and, I would even dare say "incorrect."
    karmabluesFullCircleInvincible_summer
  • @zenmyste... Adyashanti mentions a lil story about how a student said to the zen master 'Isnt it true that we are all already enlightened?' And the zen master said 'Yes. But a fat lotta good that does you if you don't know it':)
    Don't you think we have to put in the time n work to actually realize and Know this truth? Otw we are simply like the student merely SAYing it....
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited July 2013
    riverflow said:

zenmyste said:

A concert pianist, in order to "sound natural," paradoxcally must first devote their practice to doing scales and many more finger exercises many times a day. Only after such practice can the concert pianist play naturally, organically, allowing the music to come without effort.

The saying goes that once you cross the river, one doesn't continue to carry the raft. The mistake I seem to see more often lies in wanting to ditch the raft when one hasn't yet completely crossed.

Don't mistake Buddhism as a one-size-fits-all proposition, a truth which one can state definitively, exhaustively and unilaterally:

"Therefore, Mahamati, bodhisattvas are not attached to words but expound the teachings of the sutras according to what is appropriate. Because the longings and afflictions of beings are not the same, I and other buddhas teach different teachings to beings with different levels of understanding..." ~ Lankavatara Sutra (translated by Red Pine)

Anyone can state Buddhist doctrines "correctly," but if stated unskillfully, the statement becomes inappropriate and, I would even dare say "incorrect."
    You have a great point and I agree with your words my friend. Well said ! x
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    @bfg84
    just stopped you posting grins on this joke forum
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nasrudin/

consider it a gift for your past laughable behaviour
    It is now up to you to be a mensch, and set wayward beginners like me a better example
    :clap: