Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In open rebellion of God?

Over the past week, we've seen the U.S. Supreme Court turn back the clock on one issue, and defeat another. And, in the issue of Gay marriage I've seen the hatred that's fuming from Christian Fundamentalist conservatives. The suggestions and veiled demands are becoming very flagrant towards the demands of open violence to save the country from an angry God.

The issue of being in open rebellion of God, has become a point of contention for me; and the demands in these veiled hints to violence are becoming too hard to ignore. In the belief of those who ascribe to this, we as Buddhists, and those who do not accept their God as God, live in open rebellion, and could become eyed for punishment by those souls who see themselves as defending their God, and restoring not just a social issue, but a religious one.

What is the solution to this? I know to hide and quiver will not advance peace, but to martyr oneself is also not judicious . So, is time to move on and turn our backs to those who have the need to hold everyone back in an era that can no longer provide stability? For me, it's the latter, to move on and turn our backs to them; to keep millions in suffering to satisfy the fantasy of the past for a few thousand, is not in the teachings of the Buddha. What do you think?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I sometimes find myself around the small government tea party types. I've heard talk from them about armed uprising against the injustices they see.

To me it sounds like they didn't get their way through democracy so they want to get it by force.

Its unsettling to me when I hear it but it hasn't become anything more than talk so far. There isn't anything I can really do about it so I hope they are just blowing off steam and an armed uprising doesn't occur.

Its this group that feels they need to be armed enough to support a civil coup of the government that I feel really fuels the pro gun lobby.

If it ever came to open conflict with the government though no amount of assault rifles and weekend training drills could withstand the might of the US military or even police with their SWAT teams. So I kind of feel like we all have to put up with a proliferation of guns to please the fevered imaginings of weekend civil warriors.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, first of all, in terms of whether "we" Buddhists do or don't believe in God...speak for yourself as an individual. We've had a thread on that topic in the past, and as I recall quite a few of us do believe in God and are Buddhists.

But on to your main question...I live in Colorado Springs...known for being a bastion of conservative Christianity, and I don't feel the least bit of a threat.
    Invincible_summerJohn_Spencer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I think minding our own business and only sharing our understanding when someone is actually listening to us. My brother had a friend who was Christian and in his intellect and from his family he debated my brother about gays and religious issues such as going to hell. My brother was not a believer. Also it should be said that this religious guy was a VERY nice guy aside from his family views. He was nice to me when I was a freshman on the tennis team.

Years later the guy sent my bro a message that he (bro) had changed this guys life. He was now openly gay though still a strong Christian but in a loving way. He said my brothers compassion to gay people and logic had helped him feel to be a 'good' and worthy person even though he had that sexuality.

So I am saying that you can still put out your message, but it has to be from a supportive friendly context.

But I wouldn't debate my aunt who is a Christian Reformed Church (evangelical) about politics; there would be little point.

I do get scared about my facebook friend who deliberately kills animals even swerving to hit them. He is strongly anti Obama which is all well and good, but I worry he would do something stupid. I do worry about revolution in USA.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Well, first of all, in terms of whether "we" Buddhists do or don't believe in God...speak for yourself as an individual. We've had a thread on that topic in the past, and as I recall quite a few of us do believe in God and are Buddhists.

But on to your main question...I live in Colorado Springs...known for being a bastion of conservative Christianity, and I don't feel the least bit of a threat.

I did not mean to offend vinlyn, what I'm trying to say is, that many define God, in narrow definitions as those of the fundamentalist conservatives, taking the first commandment in law and deed, as defined by 'their' views. I'm not making an attempt in defining God, but I am trying to narrow the focus in the view of what a narrow minded individual believes in what the world is in totality; and what should be the proper mindset of those who are outside of this ideology.

The department I retired from, I worked with three openly practicing sovereign citizens. They removed their children from public school and are home schooling them; and teaching them that homosexual, and non-Christian teachings are sinful. They are being raised in total social isolation except for their church. What happens when they must enter the world and have to partake in a society that protects the rights of 'all'? This is the answer I'm seeking; how to lead a life in a society where the demand for stagnation is ordered through a narrow mindedness? Is it time to just move on and let them behind, or stay and, to me, entertain a fools errand and stagnate as they? And yes, the Koan, a bad person is a good persons mission. But, when does that mission end?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    John, I took no offense.

Particularly as a former school principal, I have long had a problem with home schooling for the very reasons you state. Our school's business partner was Booz, Allen & Hamilton -- one of the "Beltway bandit" government consulting firms (and they were great to us). One year they hosted all of our faculty for a day, and in a large group session our teachers could ask questions of BAH's management. One of the questions asked was, "What do you look for in potential employees?" Without pause, the answer was, "People who work together well in groups. We don't have individual employees sitting alone at their desks." From my perspective, the candidate mentioning religion during an interview or in a resume was pretty much a red flag. We had to fire one teacher who would actually tell some girls they were going to hell because of their dress styles. And, the last couple of years before retirement I had a couple of teacher candidates who had been partly home-schooled in high school, and for me, that was another red flag. You don't get to be a people-person while being home-schooled, and the reason most people home school has something to do with religion and/or not trusting schools and teachers.
    I think this kind of intentional isolation from the wider culture will ultimately resort in these people being left behind.

Look at the Republican party election process atm. They have a system where the fringe gets involved and demands candidates who reflect their ideas and values and they elect these far right candidates in the primary elections. When it comes to general elections though they can't get elected amongst the broad public. Democrats have had the majority of the votes in 7 of the last 8 presidential elections. The Republicans only have a majority in the house because of gerrymanderd districts, Democrat representatives received a million more votes overall.

I think leaving them to themselves will eventually lead to them being isolated and left behind. I guess the worry is will they react violently in order to bring about the world they want? There is certainly a call and a riling up of rebellious intentions in the media bubble they consume.

Really though there is nothing we can do except let them be and wait and see. I suppose since you were a police officer JohnG your natural inclination is to do something about it, welcome to the world of the helpless civilian. :-/
    riverflow
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Helpless civilian, in truth I am having great trouble with that aspect. But yet I cannot try to find a way to give back.
    Thinking about my post for a bit I thought I had probably overstated the issue by saying 'helpless civilian'. I guess compared to a civil authority like a police officer or a social worker, etc. an ordinary citizen is less empowered but we can always act in educational or social organizational ways, we can still be involved.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I'm working part time in a smaller department right now; when I finally get my retirement legs (a few months or weeks :D ) I'm going to be returning to be a volunteer firefighter again. But, I'm also returning to writing screenplays with a bit of a supernatural and fateful twist. :D
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Buddhists must not forget to promote peace and happiness in the world they live as well as in their mind, Fighting for secular values to protect everyone is highly important!

The age of Dharma kings has passed, Just as others wish for happiness we should make sure in the world we inhabit the rule of law is a force for good that protects all from religious hatred or persecution.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    People like this (as well as some of the characters described in this thread) must be full of suffering. They see things in such black-and-white, "us vs them," "with us or against us" terms that they must not be at peace... or if they are, it's a very unskillful kind of peace.
    riverflow
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I am glad there don't seem to be any of those religious crackpots in the UK and the Church of England is dying.
  • I am glad there don't seem to be any of those religious crackpots in the UK and the Church of England is dying.

There are, they're just a much smaller minority. You have to remember that America's foundations were built on the migration of religious extremists (the Puritans) from Britain to America because they saw the UK as too liberal, I believe that's why our two countries have such a different relationship with religion - we're far less tolerant of extreme fundamentalism than our cousins across the pond.
    riverflow
  • Some twenty years ago, I knew and even mingled with some of these militia groups people--of the "Christian Identity" sort. Even at the time, as mired as I was in fundamentalism at the time, I never could quite buy all of it (particularly the racism aspect of it). Me and some friends who got involved with this ended up getting kicked out of the Church of Christ (!!!!) and my then-fiancee left me. Once a certain logic and fear take over, you can easily start traveling down that path. I knew one man who had an entire arsenal of weapons in a shack-- he showed it to me: a wide variety of rifles, hand grenades, the walls covered with ammo. That was back in 1993 in Louisiana.

We would listen to tapes made by various preachers (mostly from churches in the northwest US) who all spoke about overthrowing the evil unchristian government (and not just talking about Democrats but Republicans also) and defined the US as the "Promised Land" of Israel (oh yeah, and "white people = Israelites," the Holocaust never happened, and plenty of crazy John Bircher conspiracy theory talk). I can spot this sort of paranoia now so easily because I knew this crap so intimately.

A long time ago, you would only hear of this sort of crazy talk on AM radio at 2 in the morning. Now it seems much more widespread-- if not outright Christian Identity per se, then something similar to it, a Christian equivalent to the Taliban. It doesn't come as a surprise to me that it has bloomed in the US because we have deliberately cultivated violent rhetoric in political discourse in a way that I haven't seen elsewhere. I certainly know that in New Zealand this sort of thing couldn't gain any traction, even just the rhetoric. The conditions have ripened to what we see now, and I think it will have to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    Invincible_summerMaryAnne
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    My impression is that most nations have a healthier tendency to cynicism and doubt. In the US everything seems to have to be black and white, good and evil, win or lose and so forth. No grey areas or uncertainty allowed, and definitely no self-doubt. No offence intended, but from the outside it appears to be a madhouse.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Florian said:

My impression is that most nations have a healthier tendency to cynicism and doubt. In the US everything seems to have to be black and white, good and evil, win or lose and so forth. No grey areas or uncertainty allowed, and definitely no self-doubt. No offence intended, but from the outside it appears to be a madhouse.

This describes it all too well. Unfortunately.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    So it is time to move on and let these behind?
  • Bad things happen when any group thinks "God is on our side".
    vinlynkarmablues
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    It does make one nervous to hear rumors of stirring violence, but try best not to worry about it. Do good where you can, and try not to add anything to the pot.

All over the world, people kill for their religion. It happens every day. It is sad, but it is true. We must accept this. We can work for change when we can, but the existence of suffering is the first noble truth. What's going on in the case of America is that we are not used to seeing this kind of thing every day. Many other countries are. We are not immune to religious violence, not that I have really seen any bubbling up.

No one's asking anyone to become a martyr. Just try to be a good example.
    person
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    JohnG said:

The issue of being in open rebellion of God, has become a point of contention for me; and the demands in these veiled hints to violence are becoming too hard to ignore. In the belief of those who ascribe to this, we as Buddhists, and those who do not accept their God as God, live in open rebellion, and could become eyed for punishment by those souls who see themselves as defending their God, and restoring not just a social issue, but a religious one.

What do you think?

Namaste John,

Well I am a Buddhist who DOES believe in God. However, I do NOT believe in the way a lot of people have interpreted His/Her/It's wishes for humanity. As a Jew, I also would like to highlight that the Torah/OT has been misappropriated by those who wish to denounce others. This has been eloquently highlighted in Rabbi Jeff's blog - http//www.rebjef.com/1/post/2013/06/judaism-and-homosexuality.html

In metta,
    Raven
    vinlynInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you all for your responses. :D
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Psst, there's no God to rebel against ;)
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Daozen said:

Psst, there's no God to rebel against ;)

;)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    If you are a heterosexual, marry or refer to your best friend (with their consent) as your wife. If you are gay, or heterosexual-pseudo-gay keep renewing your marriage vows. Have fun. ;)

I am off to marry and snog the Buddha . . .
  • My daughters refer to my best bud as my "man-wife". Kind of accurate...
    lobster
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

...My brother had a friend who was Christian and in his intellect and from his family he debated my brother about gays and religious issues such as going to hell. My brother was not a believer. Also it should be said that this religious guy was a VERY nice guy aside from his family views. He was nice to me when I was a freshman on the tennis team.

Years later the guy sent my bro a message that he (bro) had changed this guys life. He was now openly gay though still a strong Christian but in a loving way. He said my brothers compassion to gay people and logic had helped him feel to be a 'good' and worthy person even though he had that sexuality.

So I am saying that you can still put out your message, but it has to be from a supportive friendly context.

But I wouldn't debate my aunt who is a Christian Reformed Church (evangelical) about politics; there would be little point.

As an individual there’s only so much we can do. One aspect of Buddhism – I think - is that small contributions are relevant. When we don’t kill the fly it doesn’t change the way things are in the universe in any noticeable way; but we do make a difference to the fly and we are a different person ourselves.

Having a good influence on our close environment is the best thing we can do I think. When “they” want to isolate themselves there’s little we can do about it. But it’s a bad idea to copy that behavior.
    When your friend is in a cult; remain their friend on your own terms. Be their lifeline to sanity.
    personKundo