Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Club

edited September 2006 in Sanghas
Well, I've been meditating on my own for a while now but never joined a group. Back home, there was one that met nearby at a Unitarian Universalist Church, but I never worked up the courage to make my way over there. Here at college, though, I don't really have much of an excuse -- there's a meditation club that meets weekly right on campus, within walking distance from my dorm, at a time that I can easily manage. Also, since it will be other students I'm meditating with, it's not as intimidating as it might be. And not only that, but I really think that another sangha, of sorts (in addition to this wonderful one!), would do me good right about now.

What I'm getting at is that I thought I'd just let you all know that I'm very excited and looking forward to this new experience! I guess I just had to tell someone. I've got mountains of other things that I want to tell you all about, but they will have to remain a mystery until the time is right...

Anyway, I'm up to my eyeballs in schoolwork, so I may not get to visit half as much as I should like, but I shall try to poke my head in the door every now and then.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    I can relate.

I am going for my MBA! LOL!

Adiana:usflag:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Rambling,

It's so nice to hear how happy you are. Surrounding yourself with good companionship and with others who follow The Middle Way will be of more help to you than you can imagine. If the meditation club practices Buddhist meditation then you're very fortunate because, as you know, meditation is the core and it's importance can never be overstated.

Buddhist practice will also have a very positive effect on the academic work you have to do and in managing all the stress that both you and Adiana, and Nick (another member starting law school) and anyone else who is experiencing high levels of stress will be under.

I'm wishing you both the very, very best with much peace and joy in all the days ahead.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Great news, ROMW, and remember: the first rule of meditation club is?
  • edited September 2006
    You don't talk about meditation club?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Besides that, I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank -- enlighten me, if you please.
    edited September 2006
    You don't talk about meditation club?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Besides that, I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank -- enlighten me, if you please.

Precisely! You got it.
  • edited September 2006
    Oh, I thought I was just being difficult. Well, even better!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Ha ha ha ha.

Good one.

-bf
  • edited September 2006
    Well, the club met yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post 'til today, so here it is.

It was awesome! But the strange thing is that I felt that it was easier for me to concentrate in the group setting -- that's strange because I'm usually very shy and self-conscious, so sitting in a circle with everyone facing everyone else, I expected to be distracted and nervous. Not so! It was one of my most enjoyable sessions (though a frisbee did hit one of the windows while we were sitting). The student leading us had a Tibetan singing bowl (or something to that effect), which was a new and wonderful thing for me. The sessions are a lot longer than what I do regularly, so I shall have to choose new gathas and exercises to keep me occupied, which is great because I've been meaning to explore some techniques but haven't had the time (or thought that I didn't have the time) and now have ample time. Also, since I have to plan my regular meditation around my roommate's absences, this gives me another opportunity for practice. And we're also supposed to do some walking meditation, which I am very inexperienced at but would love to explore.

The other thing that's nice about it is that we met in the dance studio of one of the academic halls, which projects outward a bit from the main building and has a sort of low, pyramid-shaped roof, a very nice little space sort of set off from the rest -- I pass it several times a day and I've come to see it as my zendo, or at least the next best thing. It's a pleasant reminder.

So...

My apologies for the rambling post, but I'm feeling a bit rushed at the moment. I suppose I could just say, in short, that I am very, very happy!
  • edited September 2006
    good to hear rambling, I hope it continues to be a good thing for you.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Very kewl.

I'm glad this turned out to be a good experience for you. Although, there is just as much to be learned from bad experiences...

Anyway, I'm happy for ya.

-bf
    edited September 2006
    Well, the club met yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post 'til today, so here it is.

It was awesome! But the strange thing is that I felt that it was easier for me to concentrate in the group setting -- that's strange because I'm usually very shy and self-conscious, so sitting in a circle with everyone facing everyone else, I expected to be distracted and nervous. Not so! It was one of my most enjoyable sessions (though a frisbee did hit one of the windows while we were sitting). The student leading us had a Tibetan singing bowl (or something to that effect), which was a new and wonderful thing for me. The sessions are a lot longer than what I do regularly, so I shall have to choose new gathas and exercises to keep me occupied, which is great because I've been meaning to explore some techniques but haven't had the time (or thought that I didn't have the time) and now have ample time. Also, since I have to plan my regular meditation around my roommate's absences, this gives me another opportunity for practice. And we're also supposed to do some walking meditation, which I am very inexperienced at but would love to explore.

The other thing that's nice about it is that we met in the dance studio of one of the academic halls, which projects outward a bit from the main building and has a sort of low, pyramid-shaped roof, a very nice little space sort of set off from the rest -- I pass it several times a day and I've come to see it as my zendo, or at least the next best thing. It's a pleasant reminder.

So...

My apologies for the rambling post, but I'm feeling a bit rushed at the moment. I suppose I could just say, in short, that I am very, very happy!

It sounds like a lovely space and a really positive experience. Few things equal the joy of arriving among people with whom we can connect. It is my experience that the experience of 'newness', of the surprising by joy, that is integral to being awake. Treasure it.