Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which Algea DHA supplement should I buy?

cvaluecvalue Veteran
edited July 2013 in Diet & Habits
I am a new Vegan, I am looking to buy an Algea DHA supplement but I don't know which one I should buy. I am confused with the choices out there. There are so many brands such as Life, Deva, Opti3, Nutru, Dr Fuhrman's... to name just a few. At the Health store, they showed me Vegan DHA of Minami. Do you have any favorite Vegan DHA supplement brand to recommend? Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    How do you know you need it?
    I have a vegan friend who takes no supplements whatsoever.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited July 2013
    B12 Vitamin is the only suplement recommended to vegans if you have a well balanced diet and don't have any congenic condition (like bad absorption, allergies etc.)

Actually B12 also is recommended to all people when they are old to prevent brain degenerative diseases like Alzheimer.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I don't understand why people don't build a brewers yeast culture and eat that fresh? It's easier than baking bread by far.
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I don't understand why people don't build a brewers yeast culture and eat that fresh? It's easier than baking bread by far.

Actually brewer's and nutritional yeasts do not contain B12 unless they are fortified with it and this fortified ones could have some drawbacks. :(

http://veganhealth.org/b12/vegansources
    Jeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    People can convert ALA into DHA. DHA Is basically ONLY present in fish, and it comes from the algae they eat. The only other way to get it is via some leafy greens (barely present) and walnuts, because as I said the body can convert the ALA in those items, into DHA. However, nuts are very fatty and calorically dense which is a concern to some people. The fats are good fats, but they are still fats if you are trying to lose or maintain weight. You have to eat a fair amount of walnuts to get enough DHA from them, and 1/4 of a cup contains 180 calories. Getting DHA in this way is not generally recommended because ALA is a short chain omega and DHA is a long chain omega, and for the body to convert one to another is cumbersome and unknown exactly how much of one is created by the other. Most people do not eat enough walnuts for it to be an adequate supply.
    Federica, your vegan friend may not take DHA, but they might be well-served to do so unless they are eating things like seaweed and algae already or eat copius amounts of walnuts. EPA is another that is virtually impossible to get without fish/algae unless you take a supplement.
    Of my vegan or vegetarian friends, the ones with health #s from their doctors are all on supplements of some sort. Mostly Vitamin D (because we are at the 47th latitude and it's recommended for virtually everyone here), vitamin B, and DHA/EPA. I will check if any have recommendations on algae for the OP.
    cvalue
    The DHA issue in vegans-vegetarians don't have consensus yet.

Some said we need so said we don't.

For example some this study said that despite having significantly lower intakes of EPA and DHA (from fish or fish oil), blood levels of EPA and DHA in vegans and vegetarians were approximately the same as regular fish eaters.

http://newsletter.vitalchoice.com/e_article001932826.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Also vegans and lacto-ovo vegetarians (who don’t eat fish) are significantly less likely than their non-vegetarian counterparts to develop heart disease, despite their low - or zero - intakes of EPA and DHA. There is also no evidence that vegans and vegetarians are at higher risk of depression, Alzheimer’s disease or other cognitive problems.

Anyways, is at to you decide if you need DHA supplements or not, and fortunate exist vegan alternative from algae.
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    I find it convenient to take Algae supplement than to buy, cook and eat Algae.
    cvalue said:

I find it convenient to take Algae supplement than to buy, cook and eat Algae.

Yep, that I was refering, about the suplement from algae and not algae itself that could be difficult to get in some locations. Actually is microalgae the best source of DHA and from this is made the suplements.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ah.
    Thanks for your concern, @karasti....
    I have flaked seaweed on a lot of stuff. I always have some in my stock cupboard....

My vegan friend happens to be - Japanese! :D