Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...,

Once you are enlightened, is it something you always experience, or could you lose it at any moment if not constantly "working" on it?

Also, if you decide to come back again in human form to help others, do you instantly remember and realize that you are enlightened? Or do you have to relearn the process all over again in some fashion? Or do you just stay in nirvana and don't bother returning and help from afar?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Once you are enlightened, is it something you always experience, or could you lose it at any moment if not constantly "working" on it?

Initially it is experienced, or filtered/effected by personal impediments.
    This would be the stage of major openings. At this initial stage it can be 'lost'. Get here and your second question becomes suitable for those Bourne again . . .

:)
    SillyPuttyForuilive
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2013
    This is a big, and old, debate in Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitism
    SillyPuttypersonEvenThird
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "How wonderful, how wonderful, all things are perfect, exactly as they are!"

(ATTRIBUTED to the Buddha, but....you know...)
    Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Can't say for sure but looking at @Federicas' post I feel that wonder and enlightenment or awakening go hand in hand. Not to be too cliché, but once we think we have it all wrapped up we can no longer see it. Also, to come to the end of the path is to no longer be on the path.

I don't think enlightenment is the end of the line. There is still a lot of work to do.
    Also, if you decide to come back again in human form to help others, do you instantly remember and realize that you are enlightened? Or do you have to relearn the process all over again in some fashion?
    I think it would be instilled as a kind of instinctual awareness. I doubt we would remember exactly though because of that old saying that goes something like "How can I possibly taste a tea properly without emptying my cup of the old tea?"
    Or do you just stay in nirvana and don't bother returning and help from afar?
    For the truly awakened, I imagine the only way to rightly stay in the nirvanic (if that's even a word) state is to transcend time. To turn away from those of us who can still not see would be to see that we are all there already.

The only way I wouldn't want to come back to help is if I'm still just way too stupid when I pass.

SillyPuttyJeffreyEvenThird
  • ourself said:

I don't think enlightenment is the end of the line. There is still a lot of work to do.

That's what I worry about in a sense. What if becoming enlightened is only the tip of the iceberg? We see how hard that is... what if there's something even beyond that we have to learn/transcend? Like this never-ending video game that you keep having to gain levels and advancing (someone posted a thread on this about some kids who are making a documentary about this exact premise).
    ourself said:

The only way I wouldn't want to come back to help is if I'm still just way too stupid when I pass.

Well, if you were enlightened you wouldn't be stupid, right? You'd be, in a sense, perfect and be able to say the right things at the right time.
    David
  • ZeroZero Veteran

That's what I worry about in a sense....

Worrying causes your body to release chemicals that hasten the general on-going corrosion and ironically set the conditions for more worrying... be kind to yourself - worry less.
    David
  • None of us know!
  • Stop... enlightenment is not something that is achieved... it is nothing but a realization that you are... remove the ego(s), remove the fear, remove the defilements... removing the self... enlightenment is about what it lost and not what is gained...
  • Zero said:

That's what I worry about in a sense....

Worrying causes your body to release chemicals that hasten the general on-going corrosion and ironically set the conditions for more worrying... be kind to yourself - worry less.
    I'm worried I can't stop worrying. :crazy:
    Zero
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Now I'm worrried about all your worrying.
    SillyPuttyEvenThirdDavid
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    You might find this interesting.

The Ten Bodhisattva Bhūmi (Sanskrit; Tibetan "byang chub sems dpa'i sa", enlightenment-being grounds/levels) are the ten stages on the Mahayana bodhisattva's path of awakening.

I think it is said that once the 6th level is reached, there can no longer be losing of anything.
    personSillyPuttykarmabluesEvenThird
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It sounds like enlightenment is like surfing on a wave and then the fear is that when the wave is gone we will lose enlightenment. But a Buddha is unconditioned so he/she doesn't need the wave to be a Buddha. It's easy to imagine a 'golden child' of a former Buddha and I think this is an archetype. We can always imagine this special child. So what would an enlightened child be like?
    SillyPuttyEvenThirdDavid
  • Pffft...by definition...enlightenment is transitory, impermanent and nothing...not to mention also dangerously delusional. Get some grippage people....go surf each endless moment.
  • Pffft...by definition...enlightenment is transitory, impermanent and nothing...not to mention also dangerously delusional. Get some grippage people....go surf each endless moment.

A wrathful deity would say something like that. Hmph. hehehe ;)
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Enlightenment? Fuggetaboutit!

SillyPutty
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I_AM_THAT said:

Stop... enlightenment is not something that is achieved... it is nothing but a realization that you are... remove the ego(s), remove the fear, remove the defilements... removing the self... enlightenment is about what it lost and not what is gained...

Exactly so.
    No pain. No gain.
    SillyPuttykarmabluesEvenThird
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

Also, if you decide to come back again in human form to help others, do you instantly remember and realize that you are enlightened? Or do you have to relearn the process all over again in some fashion? Or do you just stay in nirvana and don't bother returning and help from afar?

Enlightenment as you put it, sounds like something you get from a body workout. You have a great bod if you workout and lose it when you don't. I wouldn't like to think of enlightenment as that but frankly, having not been enlightened, I don't know what it is. I would like to think of it as something that once you have it, will stay with you and will help you look at your problems with objective. You may choose to come back and help people or you may not, but you'll be calm when facing your problems, knowing well how to let go if you have to. For a start, we have to let go of obtaining enlightenment. Just live right.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if it's something that just happens in a sudden moment (like an "a-ha!" moment), or it's something that builds up over time, and one day you take a look in the mirror and go, "Hey... I am enlightened!..." :lol:

On that note, if it does happen in a sudden flash of a moment, does that mean you had to be pretty darn near perfect for it to happen? Would you have to extinguish all of the desires, attachments, emotions, etc. first before even getting to that state, or could you still be somewhat "imperfect" before that "a-ha!" moment hits you and changes your being forever?
  • On that note, if it does happen in a sudden flash of a moment, does that mean you had to be pretty darn near perfect for it to happen? Would you have had to extinguished all of the desires, attachments, emotions, etc. first before even getting to that state, or could you still be somewhat "imperfect" before that "a-ha!" moment hits you and changes your being forever?

In my opinion, i dont think so no!

I believe enlightenment is just an 'ah' understanding... ahhh now i get it

I dont believe we have to extinguished all of the desires, attachments, emotions, etc....
    SillyPuttyEvenThird
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Oh, Sons of the Victorious One!
    the three realms are only mind

~the Garland of the Buddha Sutras

1. mind does not exist when examined through momentariness.
    2. mind does not exist since it has not been seen by anyone, and
    3. since there are no objects, no mind exists

~Jewel Ornament of Liberation

What is the bondage of all bodhisattvas, and what is liberation? Wisdom awareness not supported by method is bondage; wisdom awareness supported by method is liberation. Method not supported by wisdom awareness is bondage; method supported by wisdom awareness is liberation

~The sutra shown by Vimalakirti

Outer things do not exist, nor not exist.
    Mind also is completely without fixation
    Having abandoned all views
    Is the characteristic of non-arising

~the Gone to Lanka Sutra
    aMattEvenThird
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I wonder if it's something that just happens in a sudden moment (like an "a-ha!" moment), or it's something that builds up over time, and one day you take a look in the mirror and go, "Hey... I am enlightened!..." :lol:

On that note, if it does happen in a sudden flash of a moment, does that mean you had to be pretty darn near perfect for it to happen? Would you have to extinguish all of the desires, attachments, emotions, etc. first before even getting to that state, or could you still be somewhat "imperfect" before that "a-ha!" moment hits you and changes your being forever?

I think it depends on which Buddhist tradition you're looking at.

There are quite a few Zen/Chan stories about "A-ha!" moments (arguably stemming from the Flower Sermon ). From my understanding, most Theravadan schools focus on eliminating defilements as a pre-requisite for nibbana.
    SillyPuttyEvenThird
  • I don't want to be enlightened anymore, life is fine as it is.

Maybe next life or the one after :).
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @SillyPutty
    The problem with this question is while there is a "you" to ask such a question, it's real answer requires the transcendence of everything that created this "you".

It helps if you go back and ask yourself what each "you" written in your posting actually is?
    Invincible_summer
  • how said:

@SillyPutty
    The problem with this question is while there is a "you" to ask such a question, it's real answer requires the transcendence of everything that created this "you".

Yeah... that's the part I don't get. :D
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Buddha found that the joy of samadhi (achieved through meditation) could NOT be Truth (background: Hinduism's yoga says that samadhi is Truth/enlightenment). Since samadhi always ends when you get up from your meditation cushion, it could not be Truth. Buddha reasoned that Truth, once seen, cannot be forgotten or lost.

I do not remember the book I read this in (it was some book about the life of the Buddha), but it affected me profoundly.
    Probably because I was raised in the practice of yoga, and the attitude that the joy of meditation WAS the goal. And Buddha was saying it wasn't the goal.

From the quote, though, it would appear that full enlightenment is a permanent state. However, until full enlightenment, we may be in that headspace for a period of time, but revert back to our usual habitual ways. We can have an "ah-hah" moment, but we still have habits of thinking and responding, and these overtake us .. until we have retrained them.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2013
    how said:

@SillyPutty

It helps if you go back and ask yourself what each "you" written in your posting actually is?

That's just it though. Even contemplating an "I" or lack thereof confirms an identity. To get rid of the notion of self is to stop being. The problem is that what we are is in constant change and never really separates from the rest of the environment which is also in a state of constant change. It's tricky to label things as it leads us away from reality but at the same time, it's the best way to explore reality. Duality should be fun.

I'm not saying you are doing so but just for the sake of conversation, claiming that in reality there is no "you" or "I" is misleading and only glimpses at half the truth in my opinion (which, granted isn't worth all that much but I like to discuss things).

"You" and/or "I" may not exist independently or as an abiding thing we can truly label but we do exist sure enough as this conversation can attest. Even though so much has changed since I started typing, I know that right now at this very moment I am typing. Not to say I'm a typist because as soon as I stop typing, there is no longer a typist.

SillyPutty
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @ourself
    You can approach this question on a worldly level where everything is viewed from a them & us perspective.
    or
    you can consider this a physiological question with its proportional measurement of selfish intent compared to selflessness
    or
    you can walk the path towards the cessation of suffering where identity, which only manifests through our habituated intents, falls away according to our willingness to let it go.

I make no claims that there is no me. Only that my sense of separation to the rest of existence is simply a product of my own Skandha make up and it's corresponding attachments. To the degree that I am willing to let go of my attachments seems to be the same degree that this identity dissipates. The path towards the cessation of suffering is about letting go of our chains of ignorance, not of our existence.

Unless you equate enlightenment with true selflessness, the straight answer to a worldly self perspective of the numerous "You's" in the OP's opening question will just be heard as an oxymoron.
    If instead you examine what each of those "You's" of the OP's question are actually comprised of, then what was formally assumed to be a solid entity, may be seen as ethereal enough to manifest as enlightenment's answer.

Just another page from the Buddha's story of the mustard seed.
    lobsterDavidSillyPutty
    @How;

Great answer, thank you. Your posts usually give me pause to think and I dig that.

I think a verb would more properly describe us than a bunch of nouns but when in Rome...