Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have to get this off my chest: I feel sorry for a bug!

This morning I found a dragon fly stuck to my bumper, which was hot. The dragon fly was trying to get away, but apparently its exoskeleton was fused to the hot metal. I tried to "tease" it away from the metal instead of just yanking it. I took the dragonfly in my hand, but even though it was flickering its wings, it didn't fly away. I think it was dying. So I put it on the branch of a bush. I'm sure it didn't survive, but I feel so bad for it! It's really bugging me, no pun intended. :(

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    Maybe it survived, maybe it didn't. It isn't worth losing sleep over.
    Nobody gets out alive.
    Vastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    For my job I sometimes have to paint outside. Bugs always fly into the fresh paint. I used to try to save them but inevitably my efforts would only manage to get them more covered in paint. I still try to pick them out somewhat carefully but I'm over feeling guilty about it because there really isn't much I can do.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited July 2013
    You both @robot and @person are right. What has whomped me upside the head is that it, well... whomped me upside the head. The only other time I felt this badly was when I stupidly left a Hav-A-Hart trap set, it trapped a bunny, and I didn't think about it until a week later. By then the bunny was dead and... I felt so bad that because of my carelessness that poor bunny probably died terrified.

Feelings are starting to come flooding in that I never gave a thought to before. Jeez, I feel sorry for road kill! I put myself in the animal's place and imagine what it's like to die that way. I know this won't emotionally cripple me, but it really has to stop. I feel somewhat better knowing that other people have experienced this too.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited July 2013
    It might be better to focus on how your own death may look. I think it is recommended.
  • Do tell!? ... I want to go out fighting in the defense of someone else.
  • robotrobot Veteran

Do tell!? ... I want to go out fighting in the defense of someone else.

I wasn't thinking of imagining a heroic death saving damsels in distress.
    I was thinking more of contemplating old age, sickness and death. Impermanence.
    That's not to say that you might not go out in style though.
  • Oh sure, I think about those things. Going out like a Klingon warrior is a fantasy. "Dust in the wind... all we are is dust in the wind." ;)
  • "I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." ~ DEEP THOUGHTS by Jack Handy
  • That one's a classic. :D
  • Wuts buggin you?
    The bug dying, the bug dying and not having the ability to contemplate its inevitable death, or that the bug, perhaps did not have the opportunity to attain “clear light” awareness at the moment of death. Perhaps one ought to rejoice at the opportunity to witness and meditate upon death; and perhaps thank the bug for the valuable lesson and pray that it will be re-born to a life of contemplation. Or perhaps the bug was a bodhisattva and you failed to recognize as such.
    SillyPutty
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited July 2013
    It's good that it's bugging you, it means you have a well developed sense of empathy. A lot of people don't care about bugs and snails and creatures like that, from where I'm sitting, they're the ones with the bigger problem.
    SillyPutty
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I don't think its good at all.
    Catholics have a concept called ' scruples ' which in the context at hand means an exaggerated over -concern about matters of little import. Like fretting for days about being a little off-hand towards someone at Mass. For example.
    I think that fretting over the unintended death of an insect is an example of ' scruples '. And I think you should let it go Jainarayan.
    ZeroJainarayanvinlyn
  • Well, I agree with not letting something you can't change cause you stress, but I think it's a positive character attribute to feel sorry for the death of a living thing, however small.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    In that case it would be even more positive to make it a full time occupation..and in a world where everything dies and everything lives off the death of everything else one would never run out of sorrow.
    Worrying unduly about the unintended death of flying insects is a hairs breadth away from a disabling neurosis. Its not to be encouraged.
  • Citta said:

In that case it would be even more positive to make it a full time occupation..and in a world where everything dies and everything lives off the death of everything else one would never run out of sorrow.
    Worrying unduly about the unintended death of flying insects is a hairs breadth away from a disabling neurosis. Its not to be encouraged.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. And to clarify, I'm not encouraging anyone to "worry" about things dying, but having some compassion and empathy with a living being that is in pain, dying or has died isn't something I'm going to discourage.

In my opinion it's the "it's only a ..." attitude that is the cause of a lot of the world's suffering. If you can not care when a dragonfly gets stuck to some paint, it's not much of a leap to not care when a fish suffocates in a net - but the process is exponential, if you can stand to see a fish die, a cat being run over isn't that much bigger a loss. Some people are fine watching farm animals being slaughtered, they're only sheep or pigs or cows after all. And there are a great number of people who don't give a damn about gorillas or chimps or orangutans being slaughtered, 90% of Borneans for example would like to see the orangutan extinct so they have more land for human use. They're only animals.
    Then you have the dehumanising of the enemy in modern warfare, it's alright to kill them because they aren't like us, they're only Arabs/Muslims/Hindus/Jews/Christians/Gypsies/Homosexuals.

Obviously I'm not saying that people who squash bugs are one step away from homicidal monsters, but it is a slippery slope and it's why I believe compassion and empathy for all living creatures should be encouraged - and how does empathy manifest? You feel bad when others are in pain.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Yes , that's called the Slippery Slope Fallacy. Its popular on Buddhist websites.It actually works the OTHER way.
    From ( in this case ) the unintended death of an insect to killing homosexuals.... in three paragraphs.
    Thats not a pov. Its hyperbole.
    Yesterday two damselflies ( they are a kind of small dragonfly ) flew into the room..We live on the river..I was at great pains to remove them as neatly and harmlessly as I could. They both zoomed off back towards the river.
    But, if one of them had flown into the flame on the cooker I wouldn't think about it for more than a few minutes, and would try to prevent it.
    This does not mean that I harbour genocidal thoughts. It does not even mean that I approve of the destruction of the habitat of the orang-utan.
    I just means that in this particular area I am not neurotic.
    vinlyn
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited July 2013
    As part of existence it will be unavoidable that we will displace other beings in some manner, and in this case you did not intend to harm the creature but attempted to help, so it is motivation and intention that are most important here.

When presented with similar situations I used to recite a mantra and blow on the creature and then let it be to fulfill the remainder of its life, but not because I considered myself a holy being with special powers but because the mantra was holy and I was merely blessing it with it. Now I make the sign of the cross over the creature and recite the Jesus Prayer, and then as before I let go and move on to fulfill the remainder of my life remembering for at least a brief moment that some day I too will pass.
    Jainarayankarmablues
  • Citta said:

Yes , that's called the Slippery Slope Fallacy. Its popular on Buddhist websites.It actually works the OTHER way.
    From ( in this case ) the unintended death of an insect to killing homosexuals.... in three paragraphs.
    Thats not a pov. Its hyperbole.
    Yesterday two damselflies ( they are a kind of small dragonfly ) flew into the room..We live on the river..I was at great pains to remove them as neatly and harmlessly as I could. They both zoomed off back towards the river.
    But, if one of them had flown into the flame on the cooker I wouldn't think about it for more than a few minutes, and would try to prevent it.
    This does not mean that I harbour genocidal thoughts. It does not even mean that I approve of the destruction of the habitat of the orang-utan.
    I just means that in this particular area I am not neurotic.

You aren't reading what I'm writing.

• Wuts buggin you?
    The bug dying, the bug dying and not having the ability to contemplate its inevitable death, or that the bug, perhaps did not have the opportunity to attain “clear light” awareness at the moment of death.

No, that it may have felt pain. We all leave our bodies. I would not have badly if I saw it, or a bird, or a squirrel dead in the grass. Chances are one of those died a natural death. It's dying in pain that "bugs" me.
    Perhaps one ought to rejoice at the opportunity to witness and meditate upon death; and perhaps thank the bug for the valuable lesson and pray that it will be re-born to a life of contemplation. Or perhaps the bug was a bodhisattva and you failed to recognize as such.
    Well, I guess that's what's happened in raising the subject in this thread... I've learned some things, and they've given me more to meditate on. I don't deny that at the time I didn't recognize it as a possible bodhisattva because of my avidyā/avijjā.
  • Citta said:

I think that fretting over the unintended death of an insect is an example of ' scruples '. And I think you should let it go Jainarayan.

I don't disagree with you because there is the danger of dwelling on, being blinded and distracted by sympathy and/or empathy which can turn into guilt over something one can't change or control. Too much of anything is no good. The Middle Way? ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The middle way.
  • Citta said:

Again, I don't disagree. I have to be particularly wary, having obsessive compulsive personality disorder and general anxiety disorder (clinically diagnosed).
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well I am sure you know your triggers, and I suspect you know about the relaxation response.

_/\_
  • Silouan said:

When presented with similar situations I used to recite a mantra and blow on the creature and then let it be to fulfill the remainder of its life, but not because I considered myself a holy being with special powers but because the mantra was holy and I was merely blessing it with it.

That's very interesting, and a nice thing to do. I could very well have recited the Mahāmṛtyuṃjaya mantra ("Great Death-conquering mantra"). I do that when I attend a funeral for someone regardless of their faith, because it's what I believe. Of course, around here if I did that for every roadkill I saw, I'd be eternally reciting it (which is not really such a bad thing ;) ).
  • Citta said:

Well I am sure you know your triggers, and I suspect you know about the relaxation response
    _/\_

Yeah, a 5 mg Valium. :D I'm sorry... twisted sense of humor. I am passingly familiar with the relaxation response. I've always called it "deep cleansing breaths".

Interesting you mention my triggers, because one of them is lack of control, usually resulting in anger, or in the case of the dragonfly, the inability to help it. Undoubtedly an overreaction (who, me!? :rolleyes: ). There's a thread on anger from the other week or so. I looked at it backwards in thinking that one should get rid of the lack of control and the anger will go away. But in thinking about it, that will only lead to more frustration and anger, not being able to remove the lack of control. So if you make the anger go away, there is nothing to be angry over; the underlying cause evaporated. How can you get angry over something that doesn't exist? Maybe that's not explained in a way that makes sense.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The safest way to see control is not as aversion or attraction..but in letting ourselves experience fully what is arising...no suppression, and then to let go.
    Experiencing fully does not mean acting it out...but allowing the feelings to reach our hearts and then opening our hands and letting it fly.
    Jainarayan
  • That's very Taoist also. So much to learn and remember on this journey.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

This morning I found a dragon fly stuck to my bumper, which was hot. The dragon fly was trying to get away, but apparently its exoskeleton was fused to the hot metal. I tried to "tease" it away from the metal instead of just yanking it. I took the dragonfly in my hand, but even though it was flickering its wings, it didn't fly away. I think it was dying. So I put it on the branch of a bush. I'm sure it didn't survive, but I feel so bad for it! It's really bugging me, no pun intended. :(

The dragonfly would feel sorry for you too.