Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    vinlyn said:

He may not be "guilty", but he's certainly "responsible" for the unnecessary death of a teenager. No one needed to die that night.

Yeah....
  • Surely it's manslaughter at least?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Chrysalid said:

Surely it's manslaughter at least?

From what I've read, I'd say so. But, I'm not one of the women on that jury. Apparently, it's that pesky thing called "reasonable doubt". The people tasked to decide thought there was a "reasonable doubt" that Zimmerman became afraid for his life, and the bad law passed by the NRA backed politicians said that was all the justification he needed to shoot . Since there's not much evidence either way, it's a "Here's what the shooter said, the other guy is dead so he can't disagree" type case. I have to blame the badly written laws instead of the jury.

And that law still has not and will not be changed as long as the current Republican party grips the reigns of power.

• I think it is the State of Florida that is really to blame, and the atrocious Stand Your Ground Law, which I would argue is inherently racist. I don't see it as the juries fault because in a way their hands were tied. It would have been hard to return a guilty verdict under Stand Your Ground. Maybe if they had gone for manslaughter from the beginning it would have turned out differently but it seems that once again the state was overly zealous, just like when they tried Casey Anthony for the death penalty.

Florida is a beautiful state but is really messed up in a lot of ways. I'm not really upset that Zimmerman didn't go to prison because I hate to see anyway sentenced and it does seem that he really regrets his actions. This will really highlight the need for gun control but it's a shame that someone had to die to reach this point.
  • This is the way I see it: There are two, well, possibly three reasons this verdict came out the way it did....

1. The prosecution team is either borderline incompetent and/or they pretty much threw this case (by putting forth very little argument or effort against the defense's WEAK and circumstantial case) -- because of their own bias and prejudices.

2. This crime, AND the trial, took place in a very white town, a very conservative/republican town, (a pro carry & conceal town), and a town heavily invested in that status quo.
    WHY didn't the prosecution insist on a change of venue? WHY did the prosecution go along with only 6 jurors and all of them women? WHY did they go along with no black people on the jury?
    SEE number 1 for answers to these WHYs....

3. This is what can happen with mandatory sentencing and taking away ANY judge's ability to use discretion. I feel very strongly that if the manslaughter charge carried a sentence of say -- 1 to 10 years -- and the judge would have the option to sentence according to HIS or HER discretion, Zimmerman would have been found guilty and the judge would have given him 1-2 years. I think the whole 10-30 yrs mandatory for manslaughter made the jury too hesitant to admit Zimmerman committed manslaughter.

I don't know about you all, but I was both absolutely stunned and disgusted by the smiles and gleeful expressions shown not by the defense team (that's to be expected) but by the JUDGE as she read the verdict!! What was THAT about? She could barely contain herself....

And then afterwards, at the press conference, that woman (I didn't catch who she was -- District attorney? The short dark haired lady with the tons of garish make-up wearing a black dress and standing with the prosecution team...) She was reviewing points and answering questions from the press and she was also smiling, and grinning, and looking very very pleased with .... what? Her LOSING prosecution team??

I found the whole attitude of these people unprofessional and downright disturbing.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    @LeonBasin- you are speechless, yet by posting this you are imploring us to then speak on your behalf? i dont get your motivation for posting what amounts to gossip and idle chatter. My suggestion to you is this: either come up with something useful to say on the matter or do not post this type of stuff. Stop throwing meat into the cage and seeing which dog will pounce on it.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013

@LeonBasin- you are speechless, yet by posting this you are imploring us to then speak on your behalf? i dont get your motivation for posting what amounts to gossip and idle chatter. My suggestion to you is this: either come up with something useful to say on the matter or do not post this type of stuff. Stop throwing meat into the cage and seeing which dog will pounce on it.

A little harsh, but you are right. I signed onto Twitter last night and couldn't believe the ugliness I saw from both "sides" of the coin regarding this case. It's just so depressing and sad. So what you wrote above, @TheBeejAbides, actually brings up a topic that I wanted to post about as well, but I wasn't sure that it would be wise to bring this case onto this forum. But since it already has made its way here, I suppose now is the time....

What I wanted to ask is: how should we (as human beings in general, not so much as Buddhists with a label) respond to the media sensationalism, verdict, and other hot topic issues in such a case? It's hard not to have an opinion on the matter, especially when so many people seem divided in their stance right now and views on the matter.

I feel bad for Trayvon and his family. I also feel bad for G.Z. and his family. It's a simple case of what fear and anger does to a person (and by "a person" I'm referring to both parties, because both reacted out of anger and fear in some manner, although it is obvious that G.Z. went beyond stupid with his reaction and is at fault, obviously.... There is just no excuse for stalking someone you have no business following, then killing them on top of that.). And now so many people in the country are operating out of fear and anger with their thinking and actions. It's like a disease just spreading like wildfire.

There are so many people who are murdered each day, whether that murder/killing is out of anger, fear, spite, self-defense, or passion. The fact that the media hand-picked this one due to some of its "factors" (*cough*) and turned it into a 3-ring circus is downright despicable. They are fanning the flames of those who are emotionally invested in this case and that is a crime in and of itself. It's bad enough this child was murdered, but now we have to take his death and turn it into something even uglier, which will only breed more fear, anger, and hate. "Trial by media" should be considered a criminal offense.
    Beej
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

I agree, but you don't have to read or comment. But thank you!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Just for the record, the Sanford population is 45% Black and Latino. However, all of Seminole County is approximately 88% White.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I too blame the bad laws of the state more so than the jury. The prosecution had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmmerman was not defending his own life. In my eyes, it was the other way around, since he was following the kid when he was asked not to which is what seemed to provoke the situation. Yes, the kid attacked him but it seems clear that happened because he was being followed and HE was the one defending his life in not waiting to be attacked by his follower. However, that's just not how the law works. In many states, he probably would have been found guilty, but stand your ground laws are infamously difficult to work with in court because they are vague, and they are vague on purpose. Basically any situation you feel threatened in you can shoot someone, and then it's up prosecution to PROVE that you didn't feel threatened enough, and that's pretty hard to do. Bad laws.

How is this topic any more gossip or idle chatter than when we talk about the monks in Myanmar who are misbehaving and so on? That is far more gossip if you ask me than this is (since we know this to be true and we don't really know what goes on in Myanmar). Half of what is posted here is idle chatter. We are free as individuals to not even click on the link to read that which we find pointless.
    vinlynMaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    "Not guilty" only means an ironclad case for his guilt couldn't be made. Understandable, considering the victim is dead, and the court only had Zimmerman's testimony of what happened to go by. There was little evidence, and no real eyewitnesses. Not much to build a case for guilt on (no solid, non-circumstantial, way to refute his claim that he was acting in self-defense). Some expect a civil suit against him will now be filed. Civil suits require a lower burden of proof. Remember OJ Simpson? He was acquitted in criminal court, but found guilty in civil court.

Stay tuned. It's probably not over yet.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    MaryAnne said:

WHY did they go along with no black people on the jury?

The defense's lawyers have the right to refuse jurors they think would be biased. Both sides do, and I'm not sure how the details of that work. But the defendant has the right to a jury of his "peers", and blacks would not be his "peers". Similar to how black defendants have the right to have blacks on their jury. That didn't used to happen: blacks were often tried by all-white juries, in spite of the law requiring a jury of their "peers". In any case, having a couple of blacks on the jury wouldn't have made any difference. A unanimous vote for conviction is required, and that never would have happened with the relatively weak case the prosecution made.

On the other hand, this case sets an interesting precedent. Theoretically, the "self-defense" defense would work for anyone, not just white people shooting black people, but the other way around. Anyone can now claim self-defense and fear for their life, and get off. Could get interesting.
    edited July 2013
    Actually, given the racial makeup of the county, 1 out of 6 jurors being Black or Hispanic would be just about representative.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Actually, given the racial makeup of the county, 1 out of 6 jurors being Black or Hispanic would be just about representative.

I guess having 1 black juror could have resulted in a hung jury. hm....

Dakini said:

vinlyn said:

I guess having 1 black juror could have resulted in a hung jury. hm....

But I also don't assume that everyone who is Black would vote one way, and all the people who are White would vote another way. Here in Colorado, all my friends happen to be White, and the vast majority thought Zimmerman should be convicted.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Right. That's why I said "could have". Florida is different from CO, though. Lots of voter suppression of black votes has gone on there for generations, only more recently brought to light as a result of the Bush elections. Anyway, we can't assume anything, but if there had been one dissenting opinion on the jury by whoever, there would have been a hung jury.

Mary Anne raised an interesting question. Why only 6 jurors? I didn't follow the thing at all, except a little bit online. How could anything less than 9 jurors be acceptable? :scratch:
    Dakini said:

...Florida is different from CO, though. Lots of voter suppression of black votes has gone on there for generations, only more recently brought to light as a result of the Bush elections. ...

Mary Anne raised an interesting question. Why only 6 jurors? I didn't follow the thing at all, except a little bit online. How could anything less than 9 jurors be acceptable? :scratch:

Yes, that's true about voter suppression in what I refer to "old Florida", but it's also true that Obama took the state in the last election.

Regarding the number of jurors, here's a good, but brief explanations of why: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57590779-504083/george-zimmerman-trial-why-are-only-six-jurors-weighing-murder-suspects-fate/

But interestingly, why usually 12 jurors? Because a Scottish king decided on jury size decided it was the right thing to do because there were 12 apostles. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

But interestingly, why usually 12 jurors? Because a Scottish king decided on jury size decided it was the right thing to do because there were 12 apostles. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

It doesn't matter what the usual number of jurors is: 12 or 9 or whatever. Anything that deviates from what the law requires is an irregularity.

Obama took the state, but I'm sure there was still voter suppression. After the 1st Obama election, Congress determined that he'd lost 7 million votes due to voter suppression. He only won because he had lots of campaign money to blanket key states and swing states with offices. He had 3 or 4 times the number of campaign offices in my state as Kerry had had. And we know Kerry got cheated out of entire communities' votes due to "faulty" (or rigged) voting machines, as proven in federal court.

Dakini said:

vinlyn said:

It doesn't matter what the usual number of jurors is: 12 or 9 or whatever. Anything that deviates from what the law requires is an irregularity.

Obama took the state, but I'm sure there was still voter suppression. After the 1st Obama election, Congress determined that he'd lost 7 million votes due to voter suppression. He only won because he had lots of campaign money to blanket key states and swing states with offices. He had 3 or 4 times the number of campaign offices in my state as Kerry had had. And we know Kerry got cheated out of entire communities' votes due to "faulty" (or rigged) voting machines, as proven in federal court.

I'm not really arguing the point, but if you read the link, it indicates the Supreme Court determined that 6 was sufficient. So, it's not deviating from the law.

As far as voter suppression, I'm not arguing that it doesn't occur in Florida, I'm just pointing out that Florida is a swing state.

I also do think we need to have a balanced viewpoint on voter suppression. Republicans want to suppress the votes of minorities. No question about it, and it's wrong. And Democrats (of which I am one) are salivating over having more Latino voters through a change in immigration laws, because most Latino voters vote Democrat. And in terms of voter suppression, both parties have used it over American history as they jerrymandered voting districts after each census. I think what we view as more serious in the current GOP strategy of voter suppression is that it's based on race.
    Lucy_Begood
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Well, so let's take a look at the decision to allow a 6-member jury and its legal underpinnings, from the above-linked article:

For many years, the Constitution was interpreted as guaranteeing a trial by a 12-member jury. However, in Williams v. Florida, a Supreme Court ruling in 1970, it was decided that at least six persons is "large enough to promote group deliberation, free from outside intimidation, and to provide a fair possibility for obtaining a cross-section of the community."

It was also noted in the ruling that there is "no discernible difference between the results reached by the two different-sized juries." However, in Ballew v. Georgia, the Supreme Court ruled in 1978 that reducing the number of jurors below six created a "substantial threat" to the sixth amendment.

Zimmerman's trial follows Florida statute 913.10 which says "twelve persons shall constitute a jury to try all capital cases, and six persons shall constitute a jury to try all other criminal cases."
    What is a "capital case"? One in which capital punishment is a possibility, or one in which someone was killed?

Was six enough in this case to "provide a fair possibility for obtaining a cross-section of the community"? Maybe not, if there were no black jurors.

Why was less than 12 even raised as an option, and how was 6 (vs. 8 or 9, say) arrived at? Because it was the minimum the law allowed? Who pushed for adhering to the minimum, and why? Was there extreme difficulty finding unbiased jurors?
    JeffreyMaryAnne
    I don't know the answers to any of those questions.

But if you stop and think about mere odds, a 6 member jury was -- mathematically -- more likely to convict Zimmerman than a 13 member jury.
    While it seems clear to me that justice was not done, I'd hate to be George Zimmerman now.

He, and probably his immediate family, are at risk for their safety and even their lives. Don Lemon described him today as "the most hated man in America today", and there have been scores of threats against his life on social media.

He may be broke.

He almost certainly cannot work in law enforcement, which was his hope. Potential career gone.

It was suggested on CNN today that he and his family will almost certainly have to leave Florida...and perhaps even leave the country and go to Peru.

Seems to me that karma works, even if not through the court system!

riverflowzombiegirlDaozen
  • mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Maybe he is really not guilty. Just a thought. None of us (as far as I know) heard ALL the evidence presented, as it was presented.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I find the entire thing sad, overall. 2 lives and their families changed/gone forever in the blink of an eye. Didn't have to happen.

Yes, a capital case would be a case where the death penalty/capital punishment is present. Why they chose the size of 6, I don't know. But because of the smaller size, a unanimous decision is required, whereas in other states that have 12 member juries for non-capital offenses, it doesn't always have to be unanimous. It can be decided in a 10-2 vote, for example. The constitution does not allow for jury size.

However, I will never understand why a defense attorney will accept a "jury of his peers" when not one of them was the same race. Ideally, race doesn't matter, however we all know it does, and the justice knows it does, too.
    riverflow
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    For those of you who see no reason to discuss this, citing it as gossip and idle chatter (Yeah, I'm talking about you beej), I have this to say:
    "If you're surprised that this verdict could have been reached, and you're a white person, consider how many people of color are unsurprised by this verdict. Consider what that means — that not only can an unarmed child be killed by an adult, not only can that adult man suffer absolutely no consequence, but it's not even out of the ordinary according to many people's lived experiences."
    -From this article.
    Because this is so very true for me. My girlfriend watched copious amounts of footage of the trial and I absorbed it by proxy, but honestly, I wasn't so sucked in by it because I really never believed that Zimmerman would get away with it.

As a white person, this really was an eyeopener and I am so deeply saddened by it. Imo, the Stand Your Ground laws might as well give the a-ok to every bigot wanting to employ racial profiling. Oh, and while you're at it, go ahead and just pursue them and kill them based on the limited information you gathered out of prejudice.
    Disgusting.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    vinlyn said:

While it seems clear to me that justice was not done, I'd hate to be George Zimmerman now.

He, and probably his immediate family, are at risk for their safety and even their lives. Don Lemon described him today as "the most hated man in America today", and there have been scores of threats against his life on social media.

He may be broke.

He almost certainly cannot work in law enforcement, which was his hope. Potential career gone.

It was suggested on CNN today that he and his family will almost certainly have to leave Florida...and perhaps even leave the country and go to Peru.

The other thought going through my mind is that I agree with this and I'm trying desperately not to draw pleasure from these facts.
    riverflow

vinlyn said:

He may be broke.

The other thought going through my mind is that I agree with this and I'm trying desperately not to draw pleasure from these facts.
    Yes...I have to admit that I shared that feeling, as well. But I guess that's because I want justice...one way or another. But, I certainly don't want innocent people hurt or their lives ruined.

riverflow
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I listened to a great deal of the testimony. I think race played a big part in Zimmerman's profiling of Martin, but I don't believe he is a racist. He's just a fool.
    Stand your ground laws might work if handguns were illegal, like here in Canada.
    Here, if you kill a burglar with a handgun, you are probably going to jail.
    edited July 2013
    @zombiegirl- i am also saddened by the state of justice in this country, and it should certainly be addressed. what i was refering to was Leon's approach to posting this thread. Posting a link without having any real personal input is irresponsible, in my opinion. This is a touchy topic, indeed. Declaring "I'm speechless!" in no way creates a constructive platform for discussion, in my opinion. A boy is dead. His family doesnt get to hug and feel joy like Zimmerman's family got to do after the trial concluded. Isnt that really the worst thing about the outcome? Even had he been convicted, still there wouldnt have been joy for Martin's family. Its not about me or you or Leon or the DA with the garrish make-up. Its about the dead boy who didnt need to die. But as SillyPutty stated, this type of stuff happens all the time. People are killed and "justice" is not done. If thats what bothers you, then say so. And that was my point. Say SOMETHING, dont leave it up to anyone else to make your argument for you, because this is what you might get out of it.
    edited July 2013
    @TheBeejAbides I see what you're saying now and that is something that is discussed on this board quite frequently. I took your comments to mean that "the topic is not worthy of discussion as discussion cannot change anything"... Which is something that I certainly do not believe. Sharing views and getting the word out about injustice is important. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

One interesting thing to happen as a result of this case is to shed light on another woman who attempted to use the Stand Your Ground law. Except, in her case, she fired warning shots at her abusive ex-husband... not even injuring him... and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. She even had previously filed a protective order against him. Of course, she was a black woman... so.... (Read about it here.)

@vinlyn I know what you mean. I too want justice, and more than that, I want to send a message that this type of behavior should not be tolerated. It's unfortunate that our justice system failed here. I had the thought that I wasn't sure which would be more dangerous for Zimmerman... to be convicted and in jail or to be found not guilty. Honestly, I think in jail he'd either be put in solitary for his own protection or find a home with some bigoted gang members who would have his back. Out here in freedom... anything could happen and he just made a whole lot of enemies...
    @zombiegirl- no need to apologize. i wasnt exactly clear, and as SillyPutty also stated, i was a little harsh so my point may have gotten lost in my raw analogy. But, its obvious that this case is being played out in a way that highlights our differences, no matter how superficial these differences (race) might be. When will this nonsense stop? This systematic dividing of peoples? Not until "divide and conquer" is found as an unfit way of rulling (notice how i didnt say leading?) the people. We are not lead. We are ruled. And this superficial division is one of the best tools that the ruling elite can employ. Its a shame how many people eat it right up. Well, i'm not buying into it. My condolences to the dead. May ALL living sentient beings awake to their buddha nature, lest we wipe ourselves out.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    What the whole thing shows is that Stand-Your-Ground is a bad law. Because it allows people to claim they feared for their life and shoot someone dead. Probably SYG gave Zimm the temerity to leave his car and go after Martin, for no apparent reason. Now anyone can shoot someone dead, and in the absence of eyewitnesses, say they feared for their life, so they were shooting in self-defense. Even if, like Zimmerman, they actually abandon their ground and go after someone who's unarmed and walking away.
    riverflow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Zimmerman's not planning to leave FL or the US yet...

Zimmerman lawyer to move ‘asap’ against NBC News
    By Erik Wemple, Published: July 14, Washington Post

Last night’s not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial will enable the neighborhood-watch volunteer to resume his case against NBC News for the mis-editing of his widely distributed call to police. Back in December, Zimmerman sued NBC Universal Media for defamation over the botched editing, which depicted him as a hardened racial profiler.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Zimmerman copycat crime: Zimmerman case emboldens man to shoot a black teen for playing car radio too loudly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/loud-music-leads-to-murder_n_2200708.html
  • the only reason obama brought the trial back is because they are both black

it just makes my whole country look like a joke.

So the president can just do whatever he wants because hes the president?

And every body supports this opinion
  • Dakini said:

Zimmerman copycat crime: Zimmerman case emboldens man to shoot a black teen for playing car radio too loudly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/loud-music-leads-to-murder_n_2200708.html

Lynching, 21st century style. Plus ça change...
  • George Zimmerman isn't a white guy, he is Hispanic, for those that feel the need to make this a racial story.
    Hispanic people can't be racist?
    riverflowMaryAnnevinlyn
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    What do we all know? The court found him not guilty, AFAIK, he's not guilty.

Millions of guys jailed (and lives ruined) for minor drug offences is a greater injustice.
    edited July 2013
    :/ A kid died and as the link @Dakini posted points out, this case could set a precedent... I don't think those things are comparable.
    riverflow
  • Hispanic people can't be racist?

I would think they can. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The news stories of this terrible incident seem to portray the unrest as a white vs black issue, which is not accurate. But accurate or not, that is the theme.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran

George Zimmerman isn't a white guy, he is Hispanic, for those that feel the need to make this a racial story.

He could pass for white, and that's what matters. Not long ago, even Irish were classified as 'black' but that didnt stop them from looking as white as any other caucasian.
    That's pretty true. I didn't realize he was Hispanic until I was told.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

the only reason obama brought the trial back is because they are both black

Am I missing something here, I haven't followed the case that closely but I don't think Obama had anything to do with how or why this case was tried. Can someone fill me in or is this just a case of misinformation?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I could be wrong, but as I understand it Hispanic is more a general ethnicity than a "race". One can be Hispanic and have skin as dark as any African (or African-American) or as light as any western European.
    Even Africans - and by that I mean from the continent of Africa - can be very light or 'white' skinned as well as very dark. Long, LONG gone are the days when everyone was pretty much "color coded" according to ancestral origination.... like hundreds of years gone.

I think Zimmerman being Hispanic doesn't mean a thing as far as his (possibly) being racist or not.... ANYONE from any background can hold bigotry and racism in their heart - it's not always black vs white or the other way around.

I believe Zimmerman DID profile Trayvon Martin for no other reason than being young and being black in "his neighborhood". He may not have started off the night thinking "I think I'll go out and shoot any black people I see walking around..." But I do believe he was operating with a bigotry and bias behind that gun and his wanna-be COP bravado.

By the way, Zimmerman attended law enforcement classes etc and for whatever reason (I can't recall now) he either flunked out of the police academy or he was actually rejected for some reason.... He was NEVER going to be a cop, that is the reality of G. Zimmerman's sad life way before Trayvon walked passed him. So this situation / case did not 'ruin his life' as far as career goes.
    riverflow
  • Maybe he is really not guilty. Just a thought. None of us (as far as I know) heard ALL the evidence presented, as it was presented.

Well, he's not guilty of a crime according to the rule of law. Of course, there was never any doubt that he instigated the encounter and shot the young man dead. The whole issue seemed to be, once the fight started, did any of this matter so self defence could be used to excuse the death. It seems according to the Florida laws, his fear for his life did in fact make him innocent of murder at least in the jury's eyes. The fact that he started the fight didn't matter. It also made him infamous.

I guess the real problem is, this law is so blatently bad that it obviously ends in injustice because it plays on people's bias.
    riverflowMaryAnnezombiegirl
    edited July 2013
    person said:

the only reason obama brought the trial back is because they are both black

Am I missing something here, I haven't followed the case that closely but I don't think Obama had anything to do with how or why this case was tried. Can someone fill me in or is this just a case of misinformation?

Obama had absolutely nothing to do with this case (eventually) being tried.
    Public outcry and the huge media coverage (ratings grabbing) that accompanies any sort of public outrage is what got this case before a judge and jury.
    To blame Obama is.... beyond ridiculous.

The fact that Zimmerman shot and killed an innocent person, a minor, (no matter what freakin' color he was, although to deny that plays a role in this is fantasy thinking, but whatever- ) and then Zimmerman sashays into the police station, gives some questionable version of what happened, BEING TAKEN COMPLETELY AT HIS WORD, WITH NO FURTHER INVESTIGATION, NOR ANY FORENSIC EVIDENCE BEING GATHERED AT THE SCENE for checking his story, then allowed to walk out of there and head home two hours after shooting someone dead was the original public outrage.
    Zimmerman wasn't even charged with ANY crime for WEEKS afterwards. If there had been no public outrage, he would have been back out on those streets playing cop again in no time, with absolutely NO consequences for his actions.
    A kid was shot dead! How can that be ignored? Easy... by biased law enforcement in a small, racist, southern town, like Sanford FL, where most of the citizens don't really care about black kids getting shot.

riverflow
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I thought this was the best overview of the case I have seen yet.
    Tonight, George Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges related to the death of Trayvon Martin. Here’s all you need to know.

1. A jury that was selected with input from both the defense and the prosecution heard all the evidence that was admitted by each side. They had the best seat in the house, and the evidence was presented to them by both the prosecution and defense. They know the evidence better and viewed it in more detail than CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, PBS, ESPN, Nancy Grace, and anyone else who is employed by a news/broadcast agency. They especially know the evidence better than anyone on Twitter. The jury looked at every witness, observing their demeanor and listening to each word.

2. The jury deliberated for approximately 16 hours. Weighing the evidence and juxtaposing it with current Florida law.

3. They found that the prosecutors did not prove the elements of the alleged crimes beyond a reasonable doubt.

4. Based on this, they found Zimmerman not guilty.

5. Despite what is said on Twitter, the prosecution, state, governor, and the Martin family cannot appeal a not guilty verdict. They cannot appeal it to a state appellate court, state supreme court, federal court, federal appellate court, the United States Supreme Court, Maritime Court, Bankruptcy Court, small-claims court, The People’s Court, Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, Judge Roy Bean, Cour Internationale de Justice;, or the Salem Special Court for Witchcraft Appeals. The only thing Twitterers who encourage the Martin family to appeal the case to the US Supreme Court are showing is that they did not pay attention during high school civics class. Use their collective wisdom as a watermark for how woefully sad we are as humans.

6. A young man named Trayvon died. He didn’t need to die. That is both tragic and sad.
    edited July 2013
    Actually, he absolutely CAN be tried in a civil court by Trayvon's parents- sued for "wrongful death" or whatever the legal term might be. However, I heard rumors that Martin's parents are not considering this - at least not at this time.

O.J was also found not guilty in criminal court, but was found guilty in CIVIL court when sued by Nicole Brown's parents and the parents of the other victim. (forgive me, I can't recall his name), for "wrongful death".

As for federal charges, Zimmerman can also be tried by the FEDS for civil rights violations (as in violating Trayvon Martin's civil rights, resulting in his death) *IF* they find that they have enough to go on in that direction....

He is not going to be charged for the same technical crime of "Murder" or "Manslaughter" - that would be double jeopardy - But he can be charged for other things pertaining to this specific situation. Personally, I hope he is.