Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is important?

Becoming enlightened was the best thing I never did ;)

I am about to sit quietly for a while. Later I shall listen to chanting on my MP3 player. Being 'spiritual' is so much better than
not being.

What is the most important thing?
SillyPutty

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    A mix of what is needed and wanted, is for the best. And wants are dynamic, forever changing.
    lobster
  • lobster said:

Peace of mind!

If you havent got that, you havent got anything......
    lobsterLucy_Begoodkarmablues
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    lobster said:

We discern that by granting audience to one or other of the competing interests.
    Lucy_Begood
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2013
    The question 'what is the most important thing?' is the most important thing.

Providing, of course, you're not expecting a most important answer.
    David
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If you gotta ask, you're shit out of luck.
    federicaVastmindDavidChe
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Listening. With far more than just your ears.
  • Love, compassion and affection lol sounds a bit hippy dippy but when these three factors are present in replace of my usual super charged anxiety i feel bliss. I get there through sitting quietly lol. Oh yeah and i can't live without my music.
  • Just saying that you may want to question your statement of enlightenment if your are still looking for what thing is most important... "What is the most important thing" has to feeling of grasping and attachment. What are you still searching for?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    What are you still searching for?
    Importance perhaps?
  • What is the most important thing?

Not looking for "the most important thing."
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • buddha
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    lobster said:

Letting go of whatever thinks that there is a most important thing.
    Ooopps .. pretty much what riverflow said!.
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

buddha

He would cringe to hear you say this.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In an action role playing game the damage per second is the important thing. :)

In life my important thing, I admit, though not a good understanding, is tranquility. That's probably because I have mental voices and am afraid or uncomfortable a lot of the time.

But yeah it depends on the context as with the ARPG game. With family I think caring is the most important thing. With cooking layering flavors is an important thing. All different conditional situations where the important things are different.

But when the conditions fall apart, and the shit hits the fan, you are left with your UNconditional confidence in your mind to render clear and let things be as they are without trying to grasp "good" and push away "bad" (from the self).
  • To feast on the death of each single endless moment
  • DaivaDaiva Veteran
    Nothing is important...
    Chaz
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Not looking for "the most important thing."
    There is a Sufi saying: 'Do small things well and great things will seek to be done'

'Passive indifference' as 'practiced' in Taoism and Buddhism leads only to the cessation of suffering. Cool.

. . . meanwhile the transcendent Bodhisattvas . . . tsk, tsk . . . adopt suffering for the sake of the ceaseless incessant stream entrants and sentient beings down to the 'least important' . . .

So the not looking, or transcendence, or even experiencing of unimportance may be of as little import as experiencing the importance of all things . . .

Are we having fun yet? :lol:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Passive indifference seems too boring to be all that important. Like taking a pill to stop the pain, we are just fooling ourselves with that one because the suffering is still here whether we bother feeling it or not.

Sounds too much like stagnation than growth.

To me, the most important thing is compassion and the wisdom to guide it.

lobster
  • It's 7 am in Michigan, and the most important thing right now is me taking a quick shower and getting dressed for work. A few hours ago the most important thing was me getting out of bed and getting the dog into the back yard before he peed in the house. An hour from now, the most important thing will probably be me driving to work safely, but we'll see.

But I do know what you mean. Overall, the most important thing to me is doing the right thing. Whatever that thing is.

riverflowpersonVastmindkarmablues
  • No-Thing.
  • the most important thing is consistency
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

the most important thing is consistency

I like to be consistently inconsistent

• "As far as consistency of thought goes, I prefer inconsistency." ~ John Cage
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    "First you need the planet
    Earth beneath your feet
    You couldn't live an instant without that" - Tenacious D
    :)
  • The most important thing? This moment... and this moment...and now this moment...
    karmablues