Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why does the weight of a weapon feel "good"?

Well, when I carry my old 1912 pump shotgun passed down to me by my great grandfather, or when I am wearing my new Ruger vaquero 45lc revolver on a belt laden with ammunition, I just want to know why exactly the weight of these armaments feels natural to me. When I wear them, I feel like I should have had them all this time. And when I am without them, I feel too light and almost naked. Holding a firearm in my hand just feels correct, that's as well as I can describe it. Where I live we still have wild bear and cougar. Not to mention the new invasive species of Siberian wild boar, which is extraordinarily aggressive (they have been known to attack a human on sight, with no provocation) so whenever I walk in the wilds, I at the very least carry my revolver on my hip. But the weight of this weapon feels natural enough that it almost feels like it should have been there all along. Is that the nature of a human? to be armed? I cannot deny this, as holding and using a firearm feels as natural to me as waking up in the morning.

Is it correct for a human being such as myself, to be able to wield such firepower, to defend himself? I am by no means a maniac, which many anti-gun people believe. My weapon remains holstered, and ineffective, unless something directly threatens my life or the lives of others. Out where I live, in the sticks, carrying a firearm on your hip is seen as a near necessity. But in town, where I have to forgo a firearm, I feel unprotected, vulnerable, and that the life of myself and those directly around me are at the mercy of whatever force. What is wrong with taking this responsibility in your own hands?

I may be a civilian, but in the Americas, it is not uncommon for a civilian to be trained and more effective in the use of a weapon than the military. I just want to know what you think.

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    I think I am happy to be Canadian.
    I too live in nature. Bears, cougars and wolves are common here. And by here I mean right in my neigbourhood. In my yard even. I have lived here for 38 years. I don't need a gun to fit in here.
    When I was in my twenties I had the idea that I should have a stash of firearms and ammunition for the Armageddon. It passed.
    Guns feel cool. They are such precision machines. Tools can be like that too. Or cameras.
    Try not to buy into it. It's ruining your country.
    riverflowkarmabluesInvincible_summerSillyPutty
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @robot I understand, though I have been stalked by a cougar before (protip: it isn't fun) on the less violent side of things, I do love the skill a firearm requires when at a target range. It's an experience, to say the least.

here, I am not talking about using a firearm against other humans, not at all. I'd just like to make that clear to other posters.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Some are mature enough to limit what they will use a weapon for, others get too egotistical as to use of weaponry. Unfortunately, laws that deliniate limits finely tend to be unpopular and stretched by precedent if possible when enforced.

Even game wardens can euthanize or kill at need, as to killing animals. They prefer to not euthanize, usually, and are chosen to be some of the most respectful of nature folks. But Florida has alligator hunts to get rid of those that keep coming to where man is and kill children of mankind or a child of mankind, legal ones for licensed hunters/trappers. So, there are circumstances where an offense of limited kind is justified some times as best defense, while willy-nilly offense is bad.
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    Zayl said:

Not to mention the new invasive species of Siberian wild boar, which is extraordinarily aggressive (they have been known to attack a human on sight, with no provocation) ...

This made me laugh out loud. You don't think carrying firearms specifically designed to kill is an extraordinarily aggressive act? I can just imagine the Siberian wild boar posting on his wildlife forum "where I live we have human beings brandishing pump shotguns and Ruger vaquero 45lc revolvers so I have to be a real bad ass to defend myself".
    Zayl said:

But in town, where I have to forgo a firearm, I feel unprotected, vulnerable, and that the life of myself and those directly around me are at the mercy of whatever force. What is wrong with taking this responsibility in your own hands?

This is an illusion. We are all vulnerable, armed or not. That is the nature of samsara. And living in a culture that encourages the mindset you describe makes you much more vulnerable than otherwise.
    riverflowMaryAnnekarmabluesInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Zayl said:

Is that the nature of a human? to be armed?

It seems it's in our nature to seek tools from our environment to meet survival demands.
    Your tool is compensating for an incapacity that you feel is sufficiently threatening to your survival to warrant the response.
    The weight is the reminder of the 'security' it brings - the survival gap is plugged enough for the stress to be managed.
    riverflowLucy_BegoodpersonInvincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I think you should try to move to a nicer neighborhood. :lol:
    Invincible_summer
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    because you are full of fear.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Sabre said:

Because this in on a Buddhist board, in context of the five precepts, not hurting living beings also means not hurting living beings out of self defense. So anybody following the five precepts honestly, wouldn't be carrying a gun to defend themselves. So in that sense, to answer your question, no it is not correct as in it is not skillful behavior. It comes form a sense of feeling your own well being is more important than that of other beings, but this is not the Buddhist way.

Instead try to respect the lives and feelings of all living beings, humans and animals alike. Following this precept and the others is what according to the Buddha is the way out of fear.

So if someone was trying to kill you a and the only thing you had to defend yourself was a gun would you expect just to stand there waiting for your throat to be cut?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @Sabre, completely and honestly, if you were attacked by a bear (it's happened in this area twice in the past 2 months) you would just let it kill you and not defend yourself in order to follow the Buddhist precept?

@zayl I can say, that I grew up in an area where gun culture is still very much a part of daily life. Quite literally, every single person I know owns a gun, even my 88 year old grandma. We have not had a murder here in 30+ years, and that was via axe, not gun. I grew up hunting, and I am good with a rifle, a handgun and a bow. But I would never say that I feel better or more human or anything carrying a gun than when I don't. I do not have a carry permit but know many, many people who do (my area of the state has the highest % of carry permits) and these are not people who are highly trained in ANY WAY. They just like to carry a gun when they go to Shopko because it makes their ego feel powerful and in control when most likely they would just end up shooting themselves in the foot or killing an innocent person should a robbery or something take place. I actually feel extremely laden with responsibility and other things I can't describe right now when I carry a gun, and 99% of the time it is simply to walk down to the shooting range a couple blocks from my house to target shoot. I actually prefer the bow, by far. It takes far more skill.

That said, when I am doing backcountry hiking and camping, I do carry a pistol. In my state we can open carry in the fields, forests and waters without a permit for self-protection. I worry more about what crazy people I'll run into than animals, lol, but I would defend myself and my kids against a wild animal. I've never had to. Never even come close. But you bet I'd go against the precepts and shoot a bear that didn't respond normally when I attempted to scare it away. I'd prefer not to, I find the bears and wolves far more fearsome of me, but there are some who do not respond as they should.

As for whether it's natural, I can't say. In my experience, no. Because I grew up with guns from the time I was a very young child, and it is not natural to me. Though I can understand in a sense how it would feel that way if you are used to carrying one all the time. I carry a buck knife on my belt most of the time and if I forget it, I feel it in the same sense as I do when I realize I forgot my cell phone. But I don't feel more natural or more human carrying a knife or a cell phone, either. I feel the most natural when I am carrying nothing at all. No purse, no cell phone, no sunglasses, no buck knife, no gun or bow.
    Invincible_summer
  • I have owned guns and have shot and killed furry little critters in the past as a kid. I have often thought of getting a small gun for target practice (sort of like archery) and a 12 gauge shot gun for home defense...i.e, to merely scare the crap out of a person who might invade my house with the intent of harm...if there was the alleged need to shoot someone...I'd shoot their foot and deliberately try not to fatally wound them.

However, I do not own a gun, despite being encouraged to due to my profession and the clients whom I work with.

I have often imagined if I were cornnered and death was immienent, hopefully I would be mindful enough to compassionately forgive my slayer and seek the clear light. However, there are many evasive and finesse measures that would prevent the event from occuring...which is perhaps the best...recognize the potential and deal with or avoid the situation before it escalates...which imho is the more skillful and compassionate thing to do.
    karmablues
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    karasti said:

@Sabre, completely and honestly, if you were attacked by a bear (it's happened in this area twice in the past 2 months) you would just let it kill you and not defend yourself in order to follow the Buddhist precept?

That's a "what if" situation, but if I were to plan it out in advance, I can honestly say I would choose not to hurt the bear. Just because it would feel right and not to be brave or special or anything. I think many others reached a point in their practice as well where they don't value their own life above the suffering of other beings. Instead they value their actions and intentions as the most important thing.

And at the very least, to get back on the topic, somebody who carries a gun to defend themselves already has arisen the intention to possibly hurt some being. So for that alone I would never carry a gun. (I'm lucky I live in Europe anyway. This 'carrying a gun for self defense' thing, some of you may not realize, is very much influenced by society. [of course also environment] Over here in general people think very different about carrying guns.)
    federicariverflowEvenThirdkarmablues
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sabre said:

...And at the very least, to get back on the topic, somebody who carries a gun to defend themselves already has arisen the intention to possibly hurt some being. So for that alone I would never carry a gun. (I'm lucky I live in Europe anyway. This 'carrying a gun for self defense' thing, some of you may not realize, is very much influenced by society. [of course also environment] Over here in general people think very different about carrying guns.)

very different.

Americans have become conditioned by their own society, laws and neighbourhoods that not only is carrying a gun, lawful and justified, it's also a "God-Given Right" and the only way to deal with 'bad guys'.
    Americans, it seems to me (and not only in here, on this topic) seem to believe that it's a necessary evil to be armed, and have frankly, been terrified into believing that if they're NOT armed, they're going to be murdered in cold blood one day, and be defenceless in the process.

Statistically, you run a greater risk of so many other ways of sustaining injury or death, than from the firearm in the hands of a violent and opportunistic criminal.

riverflowInvincible_summer
    Most people who own guns are far more at risk of shooting themselves, or being shot by their own family members than they are being shot by a criminal/bad guy. Here, it's more so about hunting than anything. The people I know who conceal carry and have a love affair with handguns are mostly misguided, ignorant, fearful people. But overall gun ownership and usage here is far more about hunting and traversing the woods than it is about worrying about shooting bad guys. My comment about being more worried about crazy people in the woods is more about the random people who grow secret pot stashes in the woods, and those who live in shacks out of fear of society and tend to be a little nutty and skittish. I'm not actually afraid of them, lol.

Anyhow, as far as a dangerous wild animal situation, how I feel *personally* is different than how I feel being a parent. I cannot in good conscience allow myself to simply be killed by an animal, and I certainly couldn't do it and allow my children to see it. They already lost one parent. I prefer that they not lose another. That said, also, I never bring a weapon to a campsite or any other such thing. It's actually pretty rare that I'd have a gun with while my children are with. It is more so for backcountry camping. The bears that come into campsites are used to people and very rarely will attack because of their habituation. Bears in the wild with little to no human contact are another story and are much more easily spooked. I don't do much of that type of camping with my kids at this point though due to the ages of the younger ones.

Anyhow, overall I agree with the general assessment of Americans and their fear. But it turns into a circle. People *are* victims of random gun violence here. Yes, it's far more rare than a car accident or other causes of death. But it does happen and because of that, it makes people afraid, so they think the answer is more guns...when access to guns is the start of the problem to begin with. It turns into a "well the bad guys have guns! So I need guns to fight the bad guys!" argument. But it starts at the top, too, with a government who thinks they above everyone else in the world has a right to nuclear and biological weapons to protect us from the bad guys of the world...when in many cases we ARE the bad guy that the rest of the world should be protected from.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited July 2013
    federica said:

Americans have become conditioned by their own society, laws and neighbourhoods that not only is carrying a gun, lawful and justified, it's also a "God-Given Right" and the only way to deal with 'bad guys'.
    Americans, it seems to me (and not only in here, on this topic) seem to believe that it's a necessary evil to be armed, and have frankly, been terrified into believing that if they're NOT armed, they're going to be murdered in cold blood one day, and be defenceless in the process.

Statistically, you run a greater risk of so many other ways of sustaining injury or death, than from the firearm in the hands of a violent and opportunistic criminal.

You seem to cite statistics when convenient (as in your latter statement) but also ignore them when convenient (only 34% of American households have a gun).

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    "Americans have become conditioned by their own society, laws and neighbourhoods that not only is carrying a gun, lawful and justified, it's also a "God-Given Right" and the only way to deal with 'bad guys'.
    Americans, it seems to me (and not only in here, on this topic) seem to believe that it's a necessary evil to be armed, and have frankly, been terrified into believing that if they're NOT armed, they're going to be murdered in cold blood one day, and be defenceless in the process."

Please let me defend my country (or what's left of its sanity, anyway) by assuring you non-Americans that despite what you see and hear about the US, and how OFTEN you see and hear it, the type of person described above is in a VERY SMALL minority in my country.

The vast majority of Americans are reasonable, and logical when it comes to the reality of gun ownership, what should be limited and regulated and what shouldn't be. Believe it or not, the majority of Americans are not walking around in constant fear of "bad guys"... even the millions who live in (economically depressed and /or troubled) inner cities and heavily populated surrounding areas are not the ones who are 'armed to the teeth'.

No, it's the "survivalist" mindset person who most likely lives in some rural area in the middle areas of the US, who coddles their own sense of fears and paranoia against other people (and especially the government!) who are gun hoarders and NRA nutbags.
    But again, please realize that these people are a SMALL MINORITY among us. And the NRA is very small, $$$ LOUD and powerful $$$ lobbyist, but a minority just the same.....

Most of the gun ownership actually comes from rural areas. If you look at gun ownership by states, the ones with the highest ownership are very rural states (Wyoming, West Virginia, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota and so on). Even within a state, the difference is pretty vast. Here in MN, in the Minneapolis metro area, gun ownership is closer to national average, with 38%. But when you get to out state where I live, it's almost 70%. The one thing to be aware of, is the way that world media portrays Americans as a bunch of people walking around with Ruger handguns on their belts is pretty far from the truth for most people. It's not the guy on the subway who is carrying the gun. It's the farmer with the gun under his tractor seat.
    edited July 2013
    hey now, @MaryAnne. Most of the rural people who carry guns aren't survival nutbags. They exist, for sure, and they are loud and nuttier than squirrel turds. But they still don't represent the majority of gun owners by any means even within rural areas. Many of the people in rural areas who own guns, actually still use them for hunting. People in rural areas (like where I live) still leave their houses unlocked, their cars unlocked (and running in the store parking lot in the winter) and so on.

A lot of the problem is the deep pockets of the NRA who own the politicians. Because even though the vast majority of people are yelling for more restrictions on guns, the politicians won't pass them because of the lobby power. Mostly due to a completely ignorant lack of understanding of what the changes in law would entail.

Edit: That doesn't make sense, lol. 2 different thoughts. The lobby power buys the politicians into not making changes that the people support, and make it appear as those Americans don't support gun changes. Which isn't true. Those who do NOT support the changes, largely have a complete lack of understanding about what those changes would be. People need to view gun ownership as more of a privilege akin to having a drivers license.
    Very true, Krasti. It's very easy to make generalizations about any nationality. I remember when visiting or living in Thailand I actually had Thais say things to me like:

"It true in America streets paved in gold?"

"Do you have AIDS?" -- "No, why would you ask me that?" -- "Don't all Americans have AIDS?"
    Invincible_summerSillyPutty
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I don't want to generalizing entire countries into one extreme. There is not much use in that. But 34% of households having a gun, that is what I personally find unreasonable. I can't imagine all of those households having them for sports, which is in my eyes the only reasonable explanation for having a gun in a household. And over here one is to keep them in the gun range and not take them on the streets, which I think is even more reasonable.

So I guess what I wanted to say is, that it is conditioned what many people find reasonable. But luckily 'us' Buddhists are supposed to think for themselves. What actually is our personal reason for having a gun and is that wholesome or unwholesome? In my view, having it for self defense is not a really wholesome reason. I think that was what the first post was on about when asking if it is 'correct'.
    vinlynriverflowkarmabluesInvincible_summer
    Sabre said:

So I guess what I wanted to say is, that it is conditioned what many people find reasonable. But luckily 'us' Buddhists are supposed to think for themselves. What actually is our personal reason for having a gun and is that wholesome or unwholesome? In my view, having it for self defense is not a really wholesome reason.

I think a lot of that depends on the situation.

Out here in the west, a lot of people (though clearly not a majority) live in very isolated areas. Wild animals sightings (including some coming right into peoples homes, and including bears and mountain lions) are not unheard of, and if you live out in the sticks, it seems pretty reasonable to have a little protection. Unfortunately, Colorado is a gun state, and I have friends who have several guns here in Colorado Springs. They're into hunting and target shooting. Right now there are 2 recall elections moving forward here -- and in both issues the ONLY issue is that the state senators voted for stricter gun laws.

I don't see how defending oneself is unwholesome.

it's split about 50/50. About 50% of households keep guns for hunting and sport shooting, and about 50% keep them strictly for self-defense. Which is scary to think about because those who think they need a gun to protect themselves are the ones who should be using them for sport shooting in order to have good practice. Yet they have little experience, don't practice, and don't take any classes to help them train themselves to react in a stressful situation. A vast majority of people who own guns to keep under the bed don't know how to handle a gun in the dark, when they are afraid, and so on. Then they end up shooting their own kid or a neighbor instead. Or their kid uses it to shoot their best friend.

We have 4 guns, and a bow. The guns all have trigger locks, and are locked in cabinets. Never loaded. The ammo is locked up separately and all the keys are stored separately. They bow is locked up as well as the arrows, too. They'd do us no good if someone broke in. I'll take my chances. Plus, we have a dog which is an awesome deterrent. I'm far too aware of the chances of one of my kids or their friends becoming a statistic. We also live about 2 blocks from a target range and we spend time there, mostly with the bow because it's the most fun. My eldest hunts, so he practices with his hunting rifle fairly often.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

Sabre said:

So I guess what I wanted to say is, that it is conditioned what many people find reasonable. But luckily 'us' Buddhists are supposed to think for themselves. What actually is our personal reason for having a gun and is that wholesome or unwholesome? In my view, having it for self defense is not a really wholesome reason.

I think a lot of that depends on the situation.

I don't see how defending oneself is unwholesome.

Obviously it also depends on the situation. But a situation does not have to force one into owning a gun. In Thailand and other countries people lived (and still do) along dangerous snakes and tigers. They generally don't have a gun. In the time of the Buddha tigers and elephants were common, but there were no guns at all. I bet you also won't find a gun in a Buddhist monastery nowadays, even if it is in the most bear infested part of America. What I want to say it is also our personal responsibility to look beyond the general conditioning.

Defending oneself is not unwholesome per se. You can also defend yourself by shouting in case of a bear, or playing dead, or running away, hiding, just handing over your money in case of a robbery, or whatever many not unwholesome ways there are to defend yourself that don't include shooting down the other.

But a gun is made to defend oneself by threatening or hurting the other. (whether that other is a human or an animal does not matter) That's a different ballgame, because the intention of hurting the other is based upon a wrong understanding that somehow we have the right to make others suffer, which only occurs when we think in terms of "us" and "them", because of an attachment to our own existence, to self preservation.

Now I'm not saying everybody who owns a gun is a dumb immoral person, or anything like that. But from a Buddhist point of view (at least my Buddhist point of view), there is no wholesome reason for owning a gun. The Buddha went very far in how important it is to not want to hurt others. See for example this sutta:
    Even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
    riverflowpersonkarmablues
    I agree that a situation doesn't necessarily warrant having a gun, or going into every situation with the intention of harming someone. In my case, I don't own guns out of fear, but because they were handed down to me and once belonged to my grandfather. So I keep them. If I hadn't been given them I doubt I would own any. I have never purchased a gun.

That said, it's easy to say you can just yell at a bear or play dead and it'll go away. That only happens on TV, lol. Much of the time, indeed you can make a lot of noise and a bear will go away. But most certainly not always. Dozens of people die every year in tiger attacks in various areas of the world (far more than are attacked by bears). I'm guessing if they had access to guns they would defend themselves. A guy close to where I lived was attacked by a bear in his yard and almost died, lost his eye and sustained severe head and facial injuries. He would have died if his friend had not had a gun and shot the bear.
    vinlyn
    Sabre said:

Obviously it also depends on the situation. But a situation does not have to force one into owning a gun. In Thailand and other countries people lived (and still do) along dangerous snakes and tigers. They generally don't have a gun. In the time of the Buddha tigers and elephants were common, but there were no guns at all. I bet you also won't find a gun in a Buddhist monastery nowadays, even if it is in the most bear infested part of America. What I want to say it is also our personal responsibility to look beyond the general conditioning...

Well, it would have been rather difficult for Thais in Buddha's time to have opted to own a gun...they didn't exist. No, I haven't seen guns in a monastery, but I have seen machetes.

But, in Thailand today there is an estimated 10,000,000 privately owned guns, of which only 38% are registered. In fact, out of 178 countries, Thailand ranks #11.

btw in the example of the man who shot the bear, I'm not saying that the bear's life was inconsequential or less important than the man's life. But a bear who attacks a person in a town, in a yard, will do it again and again. It is not normal behavior for a bear and they will attack people and pets until they are stopped.

vinlyn
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Well, it would have been rather difficult for Thais in Buddha's time to have opted to own a gun...they didn't exist. No, I haven't seen guns in a monastery, but I have seen machetes.

But, in Thailand today there is an estimated 10,000,000 privately owned guns, of which only 38% are registered. In fact, out of 178 countries, Thailand ranks #11.
    Yes, that's a statistic. But what I'm trying to say is we can make a choice looking beyond the 'general consensus', and when we make a choice some outcome can be more in line with Buddhist thought than others.

This choice of course does not just include guns. In the time of the Buddha there were other weapons, and in Europe there are also legal weapons (or items that act like a weapon) one can choose to have or not have.
    Sabre, if you're telling me that you would passively allow thugs to "carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw"...well, I think you're full of Hostess Twinkies.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    karasti said:

btw in the example of the man who shot the bear, I'm not saying that the bear's life was inconsequential or less important than the man's life. But a bear who attacks a person in a town, in a yard, will do it again and again. It is not normal behavior for a bear and they will attack people and pets until they are stopped.

In other words, the bear's life was not more important than one man's life, but it is more important than the life of two or more than two? That aside, this ventures into a discussion of general statements again. But what I think is important for a Buddhist board to keep emphasizing is our personal responsibility for our own actions. Look inside our own minds instead of statistics and hypothetical situations.

If a bear gets killed by somebody else, there is not much I can help to do about it anymore. But I can choose not to (have the means to) kill the bear myself or not encourage anyone to.
    person
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

Sabre, if you're telling me that you would passively allow thugs to "carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw"...well, I think you're full of Hostess Twinkies.

That's a sutta I quoted to show how far the Buddha wanted us to take loving kindness, it is not something I said myself about myself. I wish I could, though, and perhaps that's the thing..?
    Sabre said:

vinlyn said:

That's a sutta I quoted to show how far the Buddha wanted us to take loving kindness, it is not something I said myself about myself.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I think you are looking for an affirmation of a previous life.
    The man with the missing eyeball and crushed face is not a hypothetical situation. He lives less than 2 hours from me.
    Anyhow, I don't disagree with your assessment about taking responsibility and doing whatever is in our power to prevent situations and act with loving kindness when situations arise. I have a hard time believing anyone on this board would simply lay there and let a wild animal tear them apart without fighting back (which doesn't even mean you have to kill the animal, or the person attacking) because a sutta says not to. Not do I believe they would stand there are and watch while a wild animal attacked another person. Is that really loving kindness? Not everything in suttas is necessarily meant to be taken 100% literally, I don't think.

For all the time I spend in the woods and my years living here, I've never had to shoot an animal I was afraid of. Many times bears have not responded (and wolves and badgers and others) to pot banging and yelling. A warning shot works 100% of the time. I've chased at least a dozen bears from campsites with warning shots, and not once did I raise the gun with the intention of killing the bear. Quite the opposite.
    MaryAnnevinlyn
    edited July 2013
    I never meant to imply that "the gun nuts" all live in rural areas and thereby imply that all rural area people are gun nuts. So sorry if it sounded like that.

What I said (and meant) was that when we do run across the true "survivalist type" person; the person who has multiple pistols, rifles, shotguns, and semi-automatic weapons, etc and honestly believes they need all this because everyone is out to 'get them' -- from crazy escaped convicts, to minorities, to illegal immigrants, and most people in authority (government), they most likely live in the more or less rural areas of our country. Not always, but most likely they do.

Florida is a gung-ho gun state as well. Florida (not unlike many states) is basically made up of a few (4-5?) more urban/city areas, and the rest sprawling suburbs and rural areas. The NRA is big in Florida.
    In contrast, New Jersey, where I live, is one of the most populated states in the nation. Not nearly the largest but up in the top 3 or 4 for population density, with MANY urban areas, and yet we are not an NRA lovin' state. We are right between NYC and Philadelphia; two huge urban areas, and yet we are not known as a gun-totin' state either.
    People don't seem to be as paranoid and in need of unlimited self-protection in the way of military style weapons and mass amounts of ammo. Now I'm not claiming we don't have gun owners here, because of course we do! But we don't seem to be obsessed with guns, or collecting large amounts of them, or worried about the government "taking away our guns" either. ::: shrugs:::
    Personally, I have no issues with anyone of sound mind owning A gun as a method of home (and personal) protection. There is nothing illegal about that.
    However, I do believe -very strongly- that home protection weapons should never, EVER, leave one's home property and be brought out into public spaces; EVER. Hunting weapons and target range weapons are another matter, and are usually well regulated and restricted in residential and public settings. But carry and conceal laws like in Florida and other states?
    I think they are dangerous, unnecessary, and frankly... bullshit....
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think America has such a strong gun culture because having one was an essential part of the expansion of this country. If you were a family that wanted to settle the wilderness areas of the country you needed a gun for hunting and because that was the only way to protect yourself and your family from would be wrongdoers as there was no law on the frontier.

Also, I think war and the widespread death it brings is something much closer to Europeans and almost non existent to most Americans.
    riverflowMaryAnnevinlynkarmablues
  • Im from Europa and I just don't understand the whole ' I gotta protect myself ' ....fear American's have.

Personally i think it's a marketing scam of the NRA, to keep people buying guns they just don't need.

Nobody needs a gun. And; death is unavoidable, no gun is going to protect you from it eventually.
    riverflowMaryAnneSabrekarmablues
    I think it's interesting when some of the nutters have troves of weapons saying they need to protect themselves form the possibility of a tyrannical government. As if, if the government comes after you there's going to be a shootout at the OK Corral. Pretty sure you'd be dead before you knew they were after you. They do have drones, afterall. I find that to be one of the worst excuses ever for owning a self-regulated militia. I also find it amusing when they believe that their closet of weapons constitutes a "well-regulated militia."

Thanks for the clarification, @MaryAnne. I probably read it wrong.

I wish gun ownership was regulated more like a drivers license, and I don't understand why it can't be. People should have to take classes to get their purchase permits, and they should have to keep them up-to-date. The frequency in which guns are successfully used to thwart robbers, attacks, or mass shootings are pretty darn limited compared to the carnage that irresponsible owners cause.
    MaryAnneToshriverflowperson
    Sabre said:

I don't have a gun so I don't have to face that challenge. That makes it quite easy already. :p However I don't think I could bring myself to hurt the other person because I even can't bring myself to hurt a mosquito for example. Not intentionally at least.

There is this story of the Buddha being charged by a raging elephant. He didn't jump away, didn't do anything, but instead send thoughts of kindness to the elephant, and the elephant stopped his charge. Don't misunderstand me as if I'm comparing myself to the Buddha, but it gives an idea of what is possible. Or at least some inspiration. Whether the story is true or not, it gives the idea of what kind of mind we want to develop on the path.

Well let's say not a gun then but something other way of harming them and harming them was the only way to save your life.

It is outrageous to suggest that you shouldn't be able to defend yourself. If my life depended on it I would kill the other person if it was the only way to stop them from killing me.

I think we both know you would defend yourself if you had to, any one in their right mind would.
    Fear is built into our culture. If you ever read American news, or watch it online, you'll see why. Because that is what sells, oddly. People are glued to their tvs every day, around the clock to hear the worst of the worst of the people around them. Because it's what they watch, it's what the news continues to report on. You'd be amazed how often people randomly go around saying things like "The world is such a scary, and unsafe place right now!!!" which is so far from the truth. Yet we buy it hook, line and sinker and I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't that way in order to keep the people in a particular line of thinking to support our immense consumerism and our government. It's kind of a strange thing to contemplate. There is a good book called "the Culture of Fear" that talks about it pretty in-depth.
    riverflow
    edited July 2013

Im from Europa and I just don't understand the whole ' I gotta protect myself ' ....fear American's have.

Personally i think it's a marketing scam of the NRA, to keep people buying guns they just don't need.

Nobody needs a gun. And; death is unavoidable, no gun is going to protect you from it eventually.

Of course, historically Europe has always been a peace-loving oasis where nary a single gun has ever been shot.

person
    karasti said:

I think it's interesting when some of the nutters have troves of weapons saying they need to protect themselves form the possibility of a tyrannical government. As if, if the government comes after you there's going to be a shootout at the OK Corral. Pretty sure you'd be dead before you knew they were after you. They do have drones, afterall. I find that to be one of the worst excuses ever for owning a self-regulated militia. I also find it amusing when they believe that their closet of weapons constitutes a "well-regulated militia."

I wish gun ownership was regulated more like a drivers license, and I don't understand why it can't be. People should have to take classes to get their purchase permits, and they should have to keep them up-to-date. The frequency in which guns are successfully used to thwart robbers, attacks, or mass shootings are pretty darn limited compared to the carnage that irresponsible owners cause.

Yes, this fallacy about the right to own a gun. Put the gun nuts in a militia and send them to Afghanistan! (Only joking...sort of).

And yes to the drivers license concept!

• poptartpoptart Veteran
    Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine is a good analysis of US gun culture.

Sabre
    edited July 2013
    .... and just like being licensed to use/have a registered car, a gun should be registered and carry INSURANCE.
    A certain amount of insurance coverage should be required for each and every single weapon owned; from the small pocket pistol, to the bedside Luger to the AK-47 or other semi-automatic one uses to shoot beer cans off the fence or whatever. Hunting weapons should require insurance as well. This way when any weapon you own is used in a reckless or unlawful way to rob, injure or kill someone (or something) your insurance will pay for the victim/s medical bills, etc, and most likely they will revoke your 'privilege' to own guns any more because they will rescind insurance coverage. Works for me!
    riverflowperson
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Holy Wa, this thread took off.

I'll answer all of your posts later, right now I have a splitting headache and the bright screen isn't helping.
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013

Sabre said:

I don't have a gun so I don't have to face that challenge. That makes it quite easy already. :p However I don't think I could bring myself to hurt the other person because I even can't bring myself to hurt a mosquito for example. Not intentionally at least.

There is this story of the Buddha being charged by a raging elephant. He didn't jump away, didn't do anything, but instead send thoughts of kindness to the elephant, and the elephant stopped his charge. Don't misunderstand me as if I'm comparing myself to the Buddha, but it gives an idea of what is possible. Or at least some inspiration. Whether the story is true or not, it gives the idea of what kind of mind we want to develop on the path.

Well let's say not a gun then but something other way of harming them and harming them was the only way to save your life.

It is outrageous to suggest that you shouldn't be able to defend yourself. If my life depended on it I would kill the other person if it was the only way to stop them from killing me.

I think we both know you would defend yourself if you had to, any one in their right mind would.
    Then still I would choose not to. What seems like a right mind to you does not apply to everyone. You would kill, I would not. Apparently that is hard to understand for you, but I'm being honest and I won't let you speak for me. The practice of the path (in this case especially metta) can change the way you look at things and so also the way one would act.

And call it outrageous if you want, because you don't understand it (yet). But what is outrageous is not necessarily untrue.
    riverflowperson
    Sabre said:

Sabre said:

Then still I would choose not to. What seems like a right mind to you does not apply to everyone. You would kill, I would not. Apparently that is hard to understand for you, but I'm being honest and I won't let you speak for me. The practice of the path (in this case especially metta) can change the way you look at things and so also the way one would act.

And call it outrageous if you want, because you don't understand it (yet). But what is outrageous is not necessarily untrue.
    Well I think a compassionate act and even selfless act that would be to actualy kill the person to prevent them from 1. Accumulating strong negative Karma 2.Making the people around you from suffering when you die 3. Killing people in the future which would not only cause them and the people around them to suffer and the people around them but also for him to accumulate further negative Karma.
  • @zayl
    I think you're just used to it, nothing deeper than that. There was a brief period of my life when I was armed when not at home (not guns, I live in England, but other weapons), it never felt natural for me, quite the opposite.
  • Sabre said:

There is also this story I like, which is found in the Mahayana tradition, about a monk who chose death in order to uphold the first precept. I think the underlying message is that choosing death in order to uphold the precepts is more spiritually rewarding than choosing to live. The story appears in Dogen's Eihei Koroku but here is a version as told by Chan Master Ven. Hsuan Hua:
    Once there were two Bhikshus (monks) in Varanasi who wanted to make the long journey to Shravasti to see the Buddha. As they walked, they grew more and more thirsty, until they could barely walk any further. They were about to die of thirst. In front of them, they found a little water that had collected in a human skull.

One of the Bhikshus took up the skull, drank some of the water, and then turned to give some to the other Bhikshu. The other Bhikshu, seeing that the water was in a skull, and that, moreover, there were many bugs in it, didn’t drink it.

The first Bhikshu said, ‘Why aren’t you drinking the water? We are nearly dead of thirst.’

The other Bhikshu said, ‘Because the Buddha’s precepts say that we can’t drink water if there are bugs in it. Although I may die of thirst, I’m not going to drink water with bugs in it. I want to stick to the Buddha’s precepts in my cultivation.’

The first Bhikshu said, ‘Oh, you’re really stupid. If you drink some of the water, you’ll be able to go and see the Buddha. If you don’t drink it, you’ll die of thirst. Don’t be so inflexible.’ Even after such a rebuke, the other Bhikshu still wouldn’t take a drink. The first Bhikshu drank all of the water, and as he walked on he felt very strong. But, the second Bhikshu, who hadn’t drunk any water, died of thirst along the way.

Because the second Bhikshu had single-mindedly held the precepts, he was born in the Trayastrimsha Heaven and was endowed with the blessed appearance of a god. From there he went to see the Buddha, and upon hearing the Buddha speak Dharma for him, he attained the pure Dharma-Eye and realized the fruition of Arhatship. Meanwhile, the Bhikshu who had drunk the water from the skull arrived at Shravasti after three more days of traveling.

The Buddha asked him, ‘Where did you come from? How many people came with you? Was the trip uneventful?’ The Bhikshu told his story to the Buddha in detail: ‘We came from Varanasi, and the road was long. At one point on the way we were without water, but eventually we found some water that had collected in a skull. I drank some, but my fellow cultivator wouldn’t drink it when he saw that there were bugs in it, so he died of thirst. [I think] he didn’t have affinities with the Buddha, and so he died instead of seeing the Buddha. His attachments were too strong.’

After the Buddha heard the story, he told the Bhikshu who had died of thirst to come forward. The Buddha said, ‘That very day he was reborn in the heavens and was endowed with the life span of a god, which is quite long. Then he came to my Dharma assembly, and I spoke Dharma for him. He has already realized the fruition of the Way. You say that he was stupid, but in truth you are the stupid one. You didn’t keep the Buddha’s precepts and although you have come to see me, you might as well not have seen me, because your mind isn’t true. You aren’t sincere enough; you didn’t hold the precepts.’
    Sabreperson