Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Those who have children, do you give yourself 'ME TIME' (where you have time out to do own thing?

If so,

What, when and how?

Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nope. Never did.

It's very difficult to have 'me' time.
    You have to book a sitter, if you don't live close to relatives, and sitters cost money. Coupled with the general cost of living, the expense of doing other things, the amount of effort required to care for young children and the honest sheer tiredness, which depletes the enthusiasm for 'me' activities...

I didn't start enjoying 'me' time (for myself or with my H) until both girls were in F/T education, and/or able to spend the weekend away with friends for a 'sleep-over' or something.

This would have put the youngest at around 11, the eldest at 17.

Sure, eldest could 'babysit' and often did - but only when she was old enough and responsible enough to leave alone, and supervise her younger sibling.... and even then, we curtailed our excursions so as not to leave them alone for too long....

You have children.
    Life revolves around them, until they gain independence.

until then, you have to tailor your lives to them. And make a whole lot of sacrifices. Including the quarter-of-a-million it takes to afford one child to adulthood.....
    Vastmind
  • When they were little...when they were sleeping,
    When they were in school,
    Now when ever I want.

Geetar playin....my daughter was a much better musician.
    Fixin things around the house...them often helping me
    Reading (together and by each other),
    Snowboarding...going together often hauling a carload of their friends.

However, I would try to get them involved with me if they wanted...
    When they were little, they liked to hangout, help or be nearby
    When they were in school...they wanted to be with their friends
    Now...they would rather do their own thing than my thing.

My youngest, 19, still lives with us, pretty much comes/goes whenever, works and goes to school....she and I go skiing/snowboarding together (a run or 1/2 day...I can't keep up) a couple times a month.
    The middle, 27, living by himself about 1 mile away, he has chosen to be reclusive at this time, reportedly writing, doing MMA and eating veggie raw foods.
    The eldest, 37, has an infant and 2 year old, lives about 2 hours away, we spend a weekend, every month or two with his family...usually he and I doing a list of house maintenance projects.

Imho, the time they want to be with you....is very short, so make the sacrifices and use the time with them well...to share things...they have much to teach you. Also let them have the opportunity to be alone and develop the appreciation of time well spent by themselves. Don't schedule every minute of their and your time....but a schedule when you do things together.
    Vastmindmisecmisc1
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Yes, all the time. But I have lots of family in the area, a grandma who lives right next door, and a husband who encourages me to do my own thing whenever I need. I also have a teenager who babysits. Sometimes it's simply a bath in peace and quiet (where he holds down the fort and makes sure the kids are doing quiet activities) Sometimes it's a weekend retreat. Sometimes it's a weekend away with gal pals. But for me to function I need time to myself on a regular basis, some every day, and larger amounts (a day, for example) once a month or so. We also do the same type of thing for our relationship (husband and I) and we spend time alone with each of the kids, too, because that one on one time is really important.

I guess it depends what you mean for me time. My husband and I never had a honeymoon, and will not have a vacation alone (or even a weekend alone) for a long, long time. But that's ok, because shorter spurts work fine for us for now, and we had that time when we were dating, before we got married and had another kid.

I'm horribly introverted, and while I love my time with all my kids, I have to have time just for me, even if it's a short time, or I lose my mind.

What? It can be anything. Meditation, reading, a video game, a quiet bath, a lone walk, a day long hike, a weekend retreat, an afternoon with my mom

When? Whenever it works out. But always small increments. The longest I've been away from all 3 of my kids at one time (and my husband was home with them) was 48 hours, and that was just a few weeks ago to visit my sister. Because one of our kids is diabetic, getting time away as a couple won't happen until he's older. I take time for me when I choose to get up earlier and meditate before the kids wake up. Even during the school year I get up an hour earlier than they do for that purpose. That is most of my me time.

How? I'm not sure how to answer that beyond what I already said, lol. I insist on it, and they know (the kids) that if I don't get it, I'm not very pleasant to be around after a while. But every other person in my family needs their time, too. My kids all regularly retreat to their quiet spaces in the world to take their me time, and so does my husband. It's as much a part of our daily lives as spending time together during meals.
    Dandelion
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @genkaku, it's this one....
    I honestly don't know a contemporary parent who HASN'T seen the book - or who doesn't equate!!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2013
    The last two trips to the monastery have been 'me time'....Only time
    I have had to myself in the last 18 years...
    Correction: I do get up early for my cup of coffee in the garden
    for sitting before going to work...does that count?

I have had to accept recently I will now be a single parent....doing everything...
    responsible for it all.....no 'me time' in the foreseeable future. Hubby
    is going 1200 miles away to work.
    It's about to get alot busier for
    me once school starts here, in 3 weeks. So I'm soaking up the last few
    week-ends....getting my shit together. Three kids here...17, 10, and 9.

I have every intention on making the weekly
    Sangha meetings...(maybe every other week)....not as an escape 'me time'...
    but to make sure I have the tools and practice to handle all this...and
    keep my mind together, lololololol ......:crazy:
    And yes....I'll be towing a kid or two there as well...lolololol
    riverflowhowMaryAnne
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

Me time is my lunch break at work each day and the half hour I have before I go to sleep (usually spent meditating in my room and trying not to fall asleep LOL).

I an very lucky. My daughter (12) and I love spending time together. She's really cool to hang out with. We go to the movies, hang out at the park meditating or talking, watch Dr Who together (10th Doctor is our favourite -mmmmm David Tennant) or read our books together in silence.

I'm making the most of it to be honest because I'm sure I'll have plenty of "me time " when I die.

In metta,
    Raven
    I don't think that necessarily needing or taking me time means that you don't love spending time with your kids. I'm not singling you out @dhammachick I just mean in general it seems to be something that has come across in a few different posts. That somehow if you seek time just to yourself you are maybe doing something wrong, or maybe should change how you view your kids if you don't to spend 24/7 with them. For a lot of people I think, including my husband, their job IS their me time. I guess for me since my job is stay at home mom, I am literally "at work" from 6am until 11pm and then I'm on call the rest of the night. So I don't feel guilty taking time just for me, nor do I think my kids would appreciate if I spent every waking moment with them, LOL.

I love the time I have, and I cherish it, absolutely. I know that in no time flat, I'll have more alone time than I'll know what to do with. I know my time with them as babies and children is short and precious and I treasure it. But for me, part of being able to treasure it comes in not having them be my entire world. We enjoy a lot of things together, even my teenager is always asking to spend more time doing things as a family. But I am also glad they are growing up to be independent and enjoy their own things with their friends and on their own time.
    Kundo
  • When I was raising my three kids, my "me" time was always very important. My husband worked a LOT... and for most of the years I was raising kids, I worked too. So I would have burned out really fast if I didn't allot time for Me. One thing I always insisted on when my kids were young was a reasonable, designated bedtime. And I wasn't afraid to stick to it except for vacations and holidays. And by reasonable, my kids will probably say that means "too early!" LOL but hey- they all lived and thrived just fine!

Once they were in bed, I'd clean up around the house, throw some laundry in, and then it was time for me.... Meditation time, music time, reading, TV or whatever else I was in the mood to do - at least 4-5 nights a week. Being a natural "night owl" this worked out for me for many many years.
    When my kids got older, my husband was working nights (10 PM to 6 AM). and I also worked evenings/nights and would come home (anywhere between 11:30 pm and 2 AM) to a quiet house, everyone asleep and still stayed up for at least an hour to unwind and get some me time in....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @federica -- Thanks for the book pointer ... I seemed to have the right idea but, as usual, was inaccurate. It is at this point that I generally play the Old Age Card. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I'm not singling you out @dhammachick I just mean in general it seems to be something that has come across in a few different posts
    It's ok @karasti, I know what you meant :)

In metta,
    Raven
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited July 2013
    i am quite selfish to find me time for me. my daughter is more attached to my wife, moreover in last 2 to 3 months, when i am at my native place along with my parents, then most of the time my daughter is either with my wife or my parents - so i have the liberty of using most of the time as me time. this time is separate from the daily 9 hours, when i work on my laptop. so you can say that i am very selfish that except for daily work 9 hours, i still use most of the remaining time as me time. but this is not the case that my daughter comes to me and i say to her to go to her mother - no, this is not the case - whenever my daughter comes to me, i give attention to her. but since my daughter comes to me only few times in a day, so most of the time i selfishly make into me time. in coming few days, i will be travelling to my work city, which is different from my native city - there i and my wife will be only there for my daughter - so i guess, in coming days, my me time will get drastically reduced.
    Why do you wait for her to come to you? It's not up to a child to foster the relationship (at least not until they are older) You can choose to go to her, too, and the more you do, the more she will come to you. Not only will you get more time with your daughter but your wife will get time for herself.
    misecmisc1KundoMaryAnne