Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

God found lacking

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited July 2013 in General Banter
Does god arise without the arising of the nature of God? What is the independent nature of that arising? Does it arise from nothing? Have non existence? It is expressed or attributed with qualities transcending existence and non existence. As it has no qualities until recognized, we might say:

Get behind me 'god'. Still
nothing to worry about . . .

:clap:

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    And here I thought god was just us explaining the unexplainable.
    Lucy_Begood
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Without succumbing to the Biblical idea of god I'd say it's nature itself becoming aware.

Nothing to worry about as you say but it's fun to explore.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Since we can't measure or observe directly any god(s) its important philosophically to define what we mean when we say God. If someone wanted me to believe in their God then even though I couldn't see it directly I would need to at least be able to say it stands up to logic and reason as a first step.
    riverflowLucy_Begood
  • person said:

...its important philosophically to define what we mean when we say God.

Any discussion of God needs to begin here. Different (provisionsal) theological models for God can be found even within one religious tradition. The God of Gregory of Nyssa bears only superficial resemblance to the God of Fred Phelps, for example.
    vinlynpersonLucy_Begood
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It occurred to me how odd it is that some Buddhists are so dismissive of God because it can't be proved, but are so sure about rebirth, which can't be proved. There are people here in our group who continually exhort others to be open-minded...and then aren't.
    riverflow
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    God is like consciousness itself, impossible to pin down or define.
    Kundo
  • Lobster are you giving us Koans to meditiate upon? If not, I would appreciate if you would
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

It occurred to me how odd it is that some Buddhists are so dismissive of God because it can't be proved, but are so sure about rebirth, which can't be proved. There are people here in our group who continually exhort others to be open-minded...and then aren't.

@vinlyn
    Some Buddhist's explain the theory & workings of rebirth according to traditional teachings and their own experience. Others hearing such explanations rightfully think they might be hearing of unprovable or wish fulfilling speculations. The solution then is to prove to ourselves if such teachings are truthful, false or leave them alone as workings unlikely to be dependent on either our belief or disbelief.
    I think discussions of god are no different.
    Open mindedness is the willingness to look at all possibilities, not just the ones we favour.

Perhaps..just labelling possibilities that we don't think others are open enough to, as dismissive, is the main dismissiveness of this thread?.
    ChrysalidLucy_Begood
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I used to be like that but now I realise I am not going to be a hypocrite. If it is hard to believe that there is a man in the sky controling everything then it is hard to believe that when you die your mind is born again.

If there is no evidence for something imho there is no reason to belive it.
    Chrysalid
  • The observer is the observed.
    God? A perception. A construct.
    In the 'religious' sense.
    God? Another manifestation of the Absolute.
    Neti Neti.
    Lucy_Begoodriverflow
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited July 2013
    We make God in our minds.
    We are all God's dream.