Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need commentaries on the lotus sutra

I am looking for commentaries on the lotus sutra in book form, in english. Please point me in the right direction.

Comments

• I don't know how detailed of a commentary you want, but I've found these two very helpful:

(1) Peaceful Action, Open Heart: Lessons from the Lotus Sutra by Thich Nhat Hanh

(2) The Stories of the Lotus Sutra by Gene Reeves
    Shigo
  • Thank you @riverflow I appreciate it.
    riverflow
  • Related, though not an actual commentary on the Lotus Sutra itself:

Visions of Awakening Space and Time: Dogen and the Lotus Sutra by Taigen Dan Leighton

Of all the sutras, Dogen turned to the Lotus Sutra the most. A very good book to learn about Dogen and/or the Lotus Sutra. One of my favorite books.
    Shigo
  • Thank you for the new recommendation @riverflow I greatly enjoy reading Dogen
    riverflow
  • <3 Dogen, even if I don't understand him half the time haha
    Shigo
  • @Shigo - take a look at this:

Readings of the Lotus Sutra edited by Stephen F. Teiser

It contains a collection of essays (check out the table of contents). I've added this to my wish list.
  • Wow, thank you yet once more @riverflow. Id thought this thread was kindda dead by this point So I appreciate you taking the time to look at more options again.
    Thank you!
  • No worries! :) If I come across anything else, I'll let you know too! The Lotus Sutra interests me a great deal.

I really hope Red Pine eventually will try his hand at translating it as he has with other Buddhist texts in the past.
  • Yes, I have Red Pines commentaries on the heart sutra. Its well written and every time I read it the light gets a little brighter.
    riverflow
  • Shigo said:

Yes, I have Red Pines commentaries on the heart sutra. Its well written and every time I read it the light gets a little brighter.

Yes, his commentary helped me a lot too. His Diamond Sutra and Bodhidharma sermons I recommend too. I just recently finished his recent translation of the Lankavatara Sutra-- a difficult but worthwhile read.