Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Boredom and Low energy

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited July 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I feel better when I do things. No. I do things when I am feeling good.

How do I work with low energy to do things? I am on meds that make me sleepy. High doses of 3 antipsychotics, 1 of a mood stabilizer. One of a pill to help wake me up.

I am asking this as much to tell someone about feeling bad as to get good replies. It feels better when you tell someone.

Please if you are totally anti-pill to not post here. I really am stuck taking at least some form of medication. I ask that the thread not be a pill anti-pill debate to the point where I will have it locked if necessary.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Lots of plant foods, as close to recently-harvested as you can get. Things from farmer's markets at this time of year are good as they are usually harvested closer to market date. Lots of water. If you can muster it, try to start your day with some fresh air and exercise. Go for a quick walk when you first wake up (or right after you meditate if you do that first). The fresh air and exercise will get your blood flowing and should help increase your energy, and exercise (even walking) and fresh air have been shown multiple times to be mood improvers. Sometimes I have to force myself to do it, and I always, *always* feel better after.
    JeffreyLucy_BegoodDavid
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Hi Jeffrey. Would writing a list of what you can do when you have lots of energy, a list of things to do when you have medium energy and a list of things for low energy help? Your low energy days could have a list of films to watch on it, for example, or some light cooking, letter writing to a relative or friend who lives a distance away... more gentle things to do on that list for sure, nothing pressured like mowing the lawn or re arranging your kitchen or busy socializing.. save those things as options for your higher energy days. That way, you might feel like you're still being productive, and can get some benefits, important benefits from the lower energy days, without feeling like you are not working with the low energy. It's also perfectly ok to do nothing sometimes too. Do you like animals? Personally I find animals great antidotes for a lack of energy, it is wonderful just to enjoy the company of a pet when you are too tired to do much. I am pretty sure there is science to back up the health benefits to a person to, if they have a pet. I hope you get some helpful suggestions :)
    Jeffreymaarten
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    aMatt said:

Jeffrey,

I can sympathize with a feeling of downness or lack of vitality that makes our action feel thick, as though we are having to push through a gel to do anything. The solution I've found to dissipating that thickness is being generous to others. It may sound more fun to kill orcs and trolls, but far more rewarding to give what time we have to others. Give a few dollars to someone in need, read to some children, volunteer at a local food bank, anything really where you are investing your energy to the community. Don't worry that you are doing it to feel more vibrant, that selfishness will fade as your vibrancy increases, and then you'll have an abundance and give for only the sake of giving.

With warmth,
    Matt

Thanks, Matt. It is daunting to go into the community for me because I have a lot of trauma from bad experiences with psychotic disease. But I do volunteer occasionally in the community doing data entry of calling lists. I am sure with google I could find other opportunities. I would have to overcome a lot of fear. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Dandelion, excellent suggestion of getting on paper things that are easier to do. I now can watch films whereas before I would get a feeling of being trapped in my seat. Great idea with animals. I already practice that strategy. My cats and dog are probably some of the beings who receive the most back scratches. :) They must have created back scratch karma.
    David
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @Jeffrey there are things you could do volunteer wise from home, something I actually came across recently was http://www.bridgeofhopefoundation.org/pen_pal.htm and I am quite interested in doing that myself, I think it's such a lovely idea!
    JeffreyDavid
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I feel better when I do things. No. I do things when I am feeling good.

How do I work with low energy to do things? I am on meds that make me sleepy. High doses of 3 antipsychotics, 1 of a mood stabilizer. One of a pill to help wake me up.

I am asking this as much to tell someone about feeling bad as to get good replies. It feels better when you tell someone.

Please if you are totally anti-pill to not post here. I really am stuck taking at least some form of medication. I ask that the thread not be a pill anti-pill debate to the point where I will have it locked if necessary.

If you have low energy and need to sleep, sleep. You are doing something, sleeping. Hopefully, when you wake up, you will be recharged and do something else.
    Jeffreyfixingjulian
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Make shamatha your practice. Learn to relax and focus as needed.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Do you exercise, Jeffrey? I find that exercise gives me more energy; helps me sleep better too. It's a good mood changer too; and lots of other positive stuff I'm sure.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes I do @Tosh. I just got back from a gym.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Hmmmm. I find exercise a great help. I do find myself tired if I spend too long on the computer; browsing 'this 'n' that'; my mind seems to be on the go - jumping from item to item.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I am at the point in exercise where I feel very tired afterwards but over all I feel better.

I stay at the computer and look around because I feel good (better) on that stimulus considering that I am on high doses of four medicines that make me drowsy.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @Jeffrey

Boredom is just not being willing to look closely enough at what's in front of you.
    It is the wishing for something to be present that isn't or for the wishing for something that is, to not be so.
    Next time boredom visits, try either examining what you are not willing to accept about the current situation and meditate with that
    or
    just explore what happens when you give yourself permission to be 100% bored.

Both can be great Dharma teachers.

Low energy is not my bag but I've always been impressed with how you've practiced through that. I've have noticed that folks who are depressive by nature seldom feel low energy without an accompanying depression whereas people who aren't depressive often experience low energy on it's own without any emotional overlay on it.
    Is that your observation too?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Low energy is not my bag but I've always been impressed with how you've practiced through that. I've have noticed that folks who are depressive by nature seldom feel low energy without an accompanying depression whereas people who aren't depressive often experience low energy on it's own without any emotional overlay on it.
    Is that your observation too?
    I have a lot less conceptual overlay I think (as I've been before) than a person with depression. But I have strong craving for relief. Most people think 'cool a video game, I'm going to do that' whereas I think "Oh I hope I feel good, I'm going to be disappointed unless I feel good".

But I don't self criticize my life and things like that. It's just craving for a lift. And then the boredom comes in when I can't find something that I can focus my mind on. This forum causes me to concentrate to find in my perception a good answer in the form of a post. That's why I stick to NB and enjoy it.

So I think I would have to examine whether expecting to feel good is a hindrance. It's not a feeling coming out of thin air. I have no doubt the medicines affect me.
  • Hi Jeffery !
    Physical energy, for me, comes from cycling....a low impact high reward activity where you can fly ! Any physical exercise has to be eased into, with the idea of comfort and ease accompanying. At first you will feel more fatigue, then a buzz, then sleep, but after not too long your precious body adapts and becomes more efficient and the energy comes. Be encouraged...that too is energizing. Now get out there and breathe !
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes thanks. In a previous incarnation in highschool I played varsity soccer, hockey, and tennis. I could get a runners high and yet not hardly exert myself.
  • This is where you start...slowly. I didn't even approach the meditative aspects of exercise...endorphin bliss.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Dandelion said:

@Jeffrey there are things you could do volunteer wise from home, something I actually came across recently was http://www.bridgeofhopefoundation.org/pen_pal.htm and I am quite interested in doing that myself, I think it's such a lovely idea!

That's such a nice idea. I work at a retirement home as a PSW and this kind of thing can really help both parties have something to look forward to.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Dandelion said:

That's a good idea. Thanks for the link.