Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you control irritation towards people?

Okay, at my job, I issue passes and talk to about 400+ a day. I normally work the kiosk booth in front of our visitor center, and we have 2 signs (one large so you can see when you're driving up) and one small (right on the window so you can see when you're talking to the ranger). And then we have 2 signs that state we really need exact change or small bills instead of $20 bills. So my point is, we have all kinds of signs up to show people everything they need to know about the monuments, the fees, the passes, and EVERYTHING, and people still do not read it! Heck, even on the back of the National Park Passes, it says the pass is accepted by all places controlled by the National Park Service, and yet we have to constantly check if people have them or get asked if they're accepted here. I was ringing up and entire group of people today, only to find out every single person had a park pass....

So my issue is that a large majority of people just do not read signs, no matter how big, and how important they are, and then people do not use common sense. I have people asking me where we are, or pointing to a location on the map asking if we're here, even though the map has a marker that says "You are here" and it's very easily readable.

I don't get mad at people, and I don't give them ANY kind of attitude (unless I get those who are outright impatient and disrespectful, and I might be unable to control my "kindness"). I simply answer their questions, provide directions, and issue passes, and anything else they'd like, because they're here on vacation and trying to get away from the stress of normal life, and they want to enjoy themselves. And I can understand that, and that's one reason I don't want to be rude to them. But I'm constantly scratching my head and wondering, WHY AREN'T YOU READING THE SIGNS?? Why aren't you looking at the back of your passes and reading what it entails? Why aren't you just paying attention to your surroundings?

It's not a tough job, AT ALL. All I do is talk to people and issue passes. That's pretty much it. I've actually had kids answer questions that their parents had just because they looked at the signs or read the brochure we hand out. But this happens every day without failure. I enjoy talking to people, I enjoy the beautiful scenery/wilderness where I live, and I LOVE my job. I'm just trying to figure out why people just don't look at their surroundings, because almost all of their questions can be answered there.

I feel wrong that I have this kind of feeling towards these kind of people, but it's not an easy feeling to control.

Comments

• some folks just want to feel special, be treated special and some are special
    SillyPuttyericcris10sen
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I know exactly how you feel. I worked at a concession stand for the Christmas season selling hot dogs, hot chocolate, etc, and people would ask for prices of things. The price list was a small eyeball shift upwards, written in huge, brightly coloured chalk letters.

Now that I'm working with kids who have learning difficulties/attention spans that make you go "Realllly?!!" (e.g. reading the word "big" correctly, but then when asked to spell it, they write "bage" or something equally silly), I've learned that you really have to condition yourself to drop expectations and approach every situation as if it were brand new.

Access your inner brown-noser! "Oh, you didn't know that? Here, let me smother you with helpfulness!!!"

I know it may feel unnatural and may be hard to keep up, but it works for me most of the time.

Jeffreyericcris10senkarmablues
  • People are just people. They will do what they aren't supposed to. Accept that and you will be fine.
    ericcris10sen
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Some folks can't read because of general illiteracy, English as a 2nd language or visual limitations. Some folks don't read because they are to lazy to try or they just prefer the personal touch. Some folks just run in a personal fog and don't even see the signs!

To a Buddhist practitioner, I'd say this was where working on a practise of empathy might turn this aspect of your job into a moving meditation.
    Invincible_summer
  • @Jeffrey I think you might be right. My past 3 jobs required us to look at every detail, always look at our surroundings, and be on constant watch (be aware of EVERYTHING), so that might play in with how I live my life on a daily basis (but I'm not on constant watch anymore, really no need for it). I just think if you're going to an area that you might not know what it is (we do have people who come here and see the sign and actually don't know what is in our monument, which is perfectly fine!), wouldn't you want to take your time before you get to the gate, and read what's here? Idk lol might just be me

@Invincible_summer lol AWESOME POST! I do get happy with myself when I see someone walk away that's happy and satisfied with the information I've given them. I'm going to have to try harder to keep up my smiling and even though it's going to be hard to keep it going after 200 people ask sorta "ridiculous" questions, I'm going to have to try.

@aMatt Actually that never even occurred to me...I feel kinda bad now that you could be completely right about a lot of those people. My past jobs I've worked at required me to be in constant contact with people and with nature (some of my jobs), and there are those people who don't have that. Ouch that hurt....

@karasti that's a really good way of seeing it! I'll have to try that out lol

@how that could very much be true.
  • Deep breaths and think to yourself "bless their hearts".
    SillyPuttyericcris10senInvincible_summer
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Some people don't read signs because they can't read, others fail to see the sign and some are plain lazy. I don't know who to be annoyed with but if maybe, we premeditate and consider all these people unfortunate and have compassion for them, it helps. Have a new mind-set, that is.
    Jainarayankarmablues
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    For me, those painful knots don't arise unless my body has a need such as peeing or hunger. Otherwise I have this view:

In the moment of interaction with people, I am nature, like a tree. Their words are like wind, and so I rustle my leaves when the wind blows. There is no need to ask the wind why it blows, or wish the wind blew north instead of south, or worry that my leaves aren't rustling in the correct way. They ask, and the answer arises in me and I offer it to them as best I can. Then they go on their way and the leaves settle, stop moving. It is only when my own resistance comes up that the roots of the dharma are challenged and somehow the wind becomes painful.

Perhaps if there is surrender to the wind, to the stream of people and questions... then each question nourishes the roots, because in being clear and generous, we become joyful and strong.

With warmth,
    Matt
    karmabluesshadowleaverericcris10sen
  • @shadowleaver Well, I've started becoming more calm when people ask sorta 'ridiculous' questions or when they don't read signs, and a big part of that is because of what @aMatt said in his previous comment, and it made me feel really wrong with how I was thinking about the situation. It's been going in the right direction :)

@aMatt very interesting post :) I really want to thank you for the previous post "Maybe people like you and want to talk? Consider they sit at a computer most likely reading and parsing data, and they would rather talk and see nature than dissect more words and signs." That made me step back and start thinking about other people and not just myself and how I am feeling at that exact moment.

Of course, thank you to all who commented on this thread. It's been going MUCH better since I received some feedback :)