Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Hand Pillow" for Zazen

edited July 2013 in Meditation
Durring Zazen my hands slide forward regardless of how I adjust. I saw a video (cant find it now ) once of a Zen teacher very briefly mention using a pillow for this problem. However, It did not look like an ordinary pillow. It was black, very small and rectangular in shape. In other words it appeared to be made specificly for Zazen.
If anyone knows what its called, or where I can get one please let me know.
(I can use a normal pillow I imagine but Id rather get something made for this specific issue)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    You can use a small zafu ,or a rolled up towel or sweater on your lap to support your hands if they are sliding forward and causing your arms to pull at your shoulders in formal meditation. I use a small Japanese Zafu because most of them have one false pleat that can open, allowing you to add or remove some of the kapoc stuffing to suit your particular sitting needs.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I used to use just a small pillow. It wasn't made specifically for zazen, it was just a small pillow. It wasn't this one but something like this. http://www.dharmacrafts.com/102xSC/2C155/Stillness-&-Light-Whatever-Cushion.html
  • Thank you for the suggestions @how and @seeker242
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I meditate in a robe (not like anything fancy just... my comfy house robe, you know?) and the stretched fabric provides my hands a little extra support.

But really... Do you have any extra fabric laying around? A t-shirt you don't wear anymore? Square pillows are the easiest thing to sew.
    Shigo
  • @zombiegirl
    Thanks for the suggestions. I dont know how to sew and I think Id probably even mess up a pillow. But I appreciate the link..I could give it a try
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Shigo said:

Durring Zazen my hands slide forward regardless of how I adjust. I saw a video (cant find it now ) once of a Zen teacher very briefly mention using a pillow for this problem. However, It did not look like an ordinary pillow. It was black, very small and rectangular in shape. In other words it appeared to be made specificly for Zazen.
    If anyone knows what its called, or where I can get one please let me know.
    (I can use a normal pillow I imagine but Id rather get something made for this specific issue)

This makes me wonder if Buddha has a pillow. Modern man has it real good, don't you think?
  • @footiam
    Yeah we do. good thing too considering meditation should be as comfortable as possible. Every tradition in buddhism talks about being comfortable for meditation

As far as Buddha having a pillow? yeah he probably did. The Suttas are full with lines like "they arranged a seat for the blessed one...."

Some people might like to sit on rocks or a stump. But i imagine their meditation is poor especially westerners.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I'm not going to lie, when I began undertaking zen practice, I really missed some of the other mudras I had been doing for years. I would wistfully think of days when I could just lay my hands on my knees... So sublime! haha. I think it takes some time to get used to, but I'm sure you'll get it OP. I still stand by my original suggestion of just making one. A pillows a pillow and no matter how bad your stitching, I'm sure it'll get the job done. :)
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I always kind of thought that it isn't easy to hold your hands up for a reason; that, if your hands are sliding forward, you aren't being mindful of your posture. It is quite possible, however, that I'm wrong. :)

And zombiegirl, I sometimes sit with different mudras depending on how I'm feeling. For some reason, my back hurts occasionally with my hands in front of me. I try not to become attached to one mudra!

• Shigo said:

@footiam
    Yeah we do. good thing too considering meditation should be as comfortable as possible. Every tradition in buddhism talks about being comfortable for meditation

As far as Buddha having a pillow? yeah he probably did. The Suttas are full with lines like "they arranged a seat for the blessed one...."

Some people might like to sit on rocks or a stump. But i imagine their meditation is poor especially westerners.

Then, we should have a pillow too!