Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Salutations on Asalha Puja Day (in Thailand)

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
"Asalha Puja; Beginning of Vassa (Theravada)

Sometimes called "Dharma Day," Asalha Puja commemorates the first sermon of the Buddha. This is the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, meaning the sutra (sermon of the Buddha) "setting the wheel of dhamma [dharma] in motion." In this sermon, the Buddha explained his doctrine of the Four Noble Truths.

Vassa, the Rains Retreat, begins the day after Asalha Puja. During Vassa, monks remain in monasteries and intensify their meditation practice. Laypeople participate by bringing food, candles and other necessities to monks. They also sometimes give up eating meat, smoking, or luxuries during Vassa, which is why Vassa is sometimes called the "Buddhist Lent."

from http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhistholidays/tp/buddhistholidays.01.htm
karmabluesBunks

Comments

• karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Yes, a very special Buddhist holiday here in Thailand. My family and I went to do some merit making. Laid the foundations for a new ordination hall which will also serve as a meditation hall for a temple in the provinces (Chaiyaphum). Took us around eight hours to drive back into Bangkok due to the heavy traffic as it was the end of a long weekend and everyone was coming back at the same time. Feeling pretty tired but that's not stopping me from logging on to check out what's been happening on newbuddhist.com :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A couple of years ago, when I was living in Thailand, my partner and I went up to Wat Phra Phutthabat to celebrate the day. Very memorable!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Is anyone giving anything up for Vassa?

I have decided to give up chocolate and to not over indulge in food at all for the next three months. I expect to find that when I manage this attachment (my attachment to food is quite strong!) it will help weaken other attachments.

karmablues