Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Human microbiome...

wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
edited July 2013 in Buddhism Today
So yesterday in the new cycle ... (not new news...but) that we are basically a symbiotic biome...which got me wondering...since perhaps we get sick due to a disruption in our biome; when we are enlightened or do enlightened activity...is our biome also enlightened or participating in enlightened activity and perhaps going from microbe to enlightenment is one single skip. If so...a person may have billions of followers.

If we have billions of followers...what is your dharma?

wikipedia...."human microbiome (or human microbiota) is the aggregate of microorganisms, a microbiome that reside on the surface and in deep layers of skin, in the saliva and oral mucosa, in the conjunctiva, and in the gastrointestinal tracts. They include bacteria, fungi, and archaea. Some of these organisms perform tasks that are useful for the human host."

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I've long thought that it actually makes a lot of sense that what each of us believes is an individual is actually only an evolutionary program to provide the widest survivability to these biospheres. It brings into question who is the real follower in your thread..
    Fortunately the Dharma still applies, even to an organic taxi coming to terms with it's own hubris.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    As an interesting side note the average human has 3 pounds of "biome" in and on them and %90 of the DNA in your body is from your biome. So DNA wise we are only %10 human. :orange:

Personally I don't believe that such simple creatures have consciousness, but who knows.