Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My John Coltrane cover... on the shakuhachi flute.

Showing off my new shakuhachi...

I recorded this brief cover of John Coltrane's ballad "Naima."

Do we have any jazz fans here who can recognize the original tune? I have shakuhachified it!

[LINK TO VIDEO]

Apologies for the not-so-great sound quality (my new computer doesn't like to cooperate with me).

zombiegirlSabreBeejkarmablues

Comments

• The original by John Coltrane, for those who don't know it:

[LINK]
    Shigo
  • Fabulous! Thanks! <3
    riverflow
  • I can really tell how this is like a meditation for you. Your playing from the heart, very inspiring
    riverflow
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Thank you! Beautiful playing.
    riverflow
  • Thank you!

This new one, the nicest I've ever owned, after shipping and added binding (to protect it from cracking) cost me $900. I better make this one last!
    Shigo said:

I can really tell how this is like a meditation for you. Your playing from the heart, very inspiring

The Komuso monks of Japan call it suizen-- literally, "blowing zen."

--except I don't wear a basket on my head...
    Shigo
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Such a nice tone on your new shak! I hope I'm as good as you are someday :) ...or even like... a tenth as good... I would totally settle for that.
    riverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it :D
    riverflow
  • I'm getting an error message- will keep trying.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    karasti said:

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it :D

+1

I better send it to the Chisti dervishes
    Ney
    In your Face Sufis
    Time for Jam

[Lobster tighten his restraints]
    . . . once your computer is sorted - maybe google hangouts for a jam session?

:thumbsup:
    riverflow
  • I'm getting an error message- will keep trying.

Hmmm... try the link that goes directly to the YouTube page and see how that works.