Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vassa (Rains Retreat) - what are you doing?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
Hi all

As many of you will know, today marks the beginning of Vassa in the Theravadan tradition. It coincides with the monsoon rains on the Indian sub-continent. You can read more below.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/khantipalo/wheel206.html#rains

Monks and nuns will remain in their monastery for 3 months and undertake intense practice. Lay practitioners will often give something up and try and increase their practice for this period.

I am giving up chocolate as a specific food but also lessening my attachment to food so that I only eat enough to sustain me as opposed to over indulging (a common issue I have). I am also going to try and meditate twice a day for half an hour each time.

Anyone else partaking? What are you giving up?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I never heard of this. I am searching if I can give something up for 3 weeks. The weekly six pack of beer? The pipes I smoke (not inhale)? Those are too hard. I am going to try something small. No more jam with peanut butter bread. :)
    Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I never heard of this. I am searching if I can give something up for 3 weeks. The weekly six pack of beer? The pipes I smoke (not inhale)? Those are too hard. I am going to try something small. No more jam with peanut butter bread. :)

Good luck Jeffrey!
    :wave:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I'm not going to feed into my craving of fried foods.
    My body is telling me it needs a break....I know it.
    Also, I need to stop getting to work late.
    I need to be mindful of being on time every morning.

May the practice of the monks and nuns be fruitful.
    JeffreyBunks