Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Praying for Thailand...

PadawanPadawan Veteran
edited September 2006 in Buddhism Today
Thailand has just declared a state of emergency after a military coup...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5361008.stm

I pray that this is resolved peacefully, and thatthe people of Thailand do not suffer...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    ...Two steps forward, five steps back......

I second your sentiments.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Anyone got any contacts in Bangkok? I have been trying to contact my children out there but get no reply. I am doing my best to conceal my headless chicken impression.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2006
    I'll check into it, Simon. Do you speak any Thai?
    edited September 2006
    Brian wrote:
    I'll check into it, Simon. Do you speak any Thai?

Thanks, Brian. No, I don't speak Thai.
  • edited September 2006
    Hi Simon,

I may actually have a contact for you. The lady I work for has a friend in Bangkok. She is out of the office right now, but I will ask her as soon as she gets back today.

Hang in there!

Kim
  • edited September 2006
    Simon, I just spoke with her and she has two friends in Bangkok. She is going to try and contact them this evening, and once she does, she will give me their telephone numbers and them I will pm them to you.

How long have your children been in Bangkok? Are they just visiting?
    edited September 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Simon, I just spoke with her and she has two friends in Bangkok. She is going to try and contact them this evening, and once she does, she will give me their telephone numbers and them I will pm them to you.

How long have your children been in Bangkok? Are they just visiting?

I've just managed to hear from my stepson. They are all well and safe. Confined to the school where they work. No TV and phone lines iffy but OK, thanks.

Now it is a question of waiting.

Thanks to all of you who contacted me. I'll keep you posted.
  • edited September 2006
    Oh good, I am so glad they are safe. I bet you are very relieved.
  • edited September 2006
    I've just managed to hear from my stepson. They are all well and safe. Confined to the school where they work. No TV and phone lines iffy but OK, thanks.

Now it is a question of waiting.

Thanks to all of you who contacted me. I'll keep you posted.

Simon,

I am glad that you have heard that your kids are all well and safe. That has to be a tremendous relief. I shall light a candle for them and pray for their safety if that is okay with you.

Adiana
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I'm so pleased for you, Simon! Here's hoping that this whole thing calms down really soon...
    edited September 2006
    My stepson's comment (after telling me how much my grandson is enjoying the tanks, etc on the streets) is: "This is the Thai version of a general election." Certainly beats the months and years of electioneering just for the same b*st*rds to get in again.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I'm so happy your family's safe, Simon!! Keep us posted and let's all hope the rest of the issue is settled peacefully.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    It seems that this one of the most peaceful coup's I've ever heard of. Sounds like there is not much to worry about & that the country is now better off than before. Additionally, over at E-Sangha, Ven. Bhikkhu Dhammanando reported that there was very little danger & his monestary was very close to where the coup took place. Apparantly, due to the lack of traffic, Ven. Dhammanando said he had one of the least dangerous alms rounds he's ever experienced.

Here's an article which may clarify the situation:
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=113092

Hope things stay safe & calm. It seems like they will.

_/\_
    metta
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2006
    One of my older friends just went to study in Thailand a few days before the coup (great timing!). He says that it wasn't "officially" on the news, but when he turned on the TV, there were pictures of the king rotating on EVERY channel, 24/7.