Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Altar or shrine area

For those of you who have altars or shrines, do you have it secluded in a closed off room or have it secluded or closed off in any way? The only area in my (small) house is in a corner of the dining room section of the combined living room dining room, or "great room". I'm not wild about it being in a public area, especially since I have two dogs and a cat, and when the tv is on, meditation is virtually impossible (even with foam earplugs). An article I read on setting up a Daoist altar said not to permit animals or loud speech in the area. I presume that applies to a Buddhist shrine also; some Hindus get their saris and dhotis really twisted over the subject. Unfortunately I have no choice. I have a set of folding Japanese screens in front of my shrine corner, but I was wondering what other people do and how they view it, considering that the bodhisattvas, deities and the Buddha himself are present everywhere.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Youll find more responses such as, it doesn't really matter what location in your house its in. I would say, do you think The Buddha would be upset with you? Im 100% confidant you would be praised for your devotion to practice.
    If other people are disturbing you with t.v. have a family metting and discuss this and or adjust your meditation routine.
    Things will work out. dont stress.
    JeffreyKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Unfortunately I have no choice.
    @Jainarayan -- To my mind, this is the important part. Which is more important -- keeping up with the Joneses who can define all the 'perfect' ways or actually pursuing your practice?

Loud speech, dogs, cats, shooting stars, bike riding ... the universe does not stand still for even the most virtuous pursuits.

For my money, you've got it right: Do what you can when and where you can. Be attentive and respectful and determined ... that is enough.
    Jeffrey
  • Before my kids were grown I kept my altar in a corner of my bedroom. It was a pagan altar, but same idea. :)

Once my kids were grown up enough the altar has been in many places in the home- tucked out of the way in a corner in the living room, on a shelf in the family room, back in my bedroom, etc. It was a migrating altar! LOL

These days, with the youngest recently moved out (again) I will be setting up my Buddhist altar back in the spare bedroom- now that it's 'spare' again. :D
    I keep a guest bed in there for the occasional sleep over with grandkids, but otherwise it's "my" room - for reading, music, meditation (if and when), and my Buddhist altar.
    But any room is a good room for an altar as far as I'm concerned. :)
    Kundo
  • @Shigo @genkaku @MaryAnne... Thanks all. :) I thought this was pretty much it. Some people adhere so strictly to rules that they forget the devotional aspect. As a newbie it's easy to get caught up in "rules", especially because my shrine is a fusion of Hindu, Buddhist and Daoist (not incompatible the way I do and view it lol) and breaks the so-called rules. Which as you've all pointed out, really don't exist.
    ShigoKundo
  • I keep mine under a stairwell.

I recall reading-- gosh, some 18 years ago-- I think I read it in Octavio Paz' book on poetics, The Bow and the Lyre-- when he lived in India as an ambassador for Mexico and he witnessed Hindu (IIRC?) priests chanting during some special occasion, but the villagers continued bathing in the river, washing clothes, and other ordinary activities. At first Paz thought the villagers acted disrespectful, as if they did not care about their own religious tradition, but then it dawned on him that the sacred and the profane consisted of this very "ordinariness."

@Jainarayan - Maybe you could think of your ecumenical shrine in the same way -- where may you find this division between the sacred and the profane? Why separate it? Perhaps that approach might work for you.
    Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    The world is holy! The soul is holy! The skin is holy! The nose is holy! The tongue and cock and hand and asshole holy!
    Everything is holy! everybody’s holy! everywhere is holy! everyday is in eternity! Everyman’s an angel!
    The bum’s as holy as the seraphim! the madman is holy as you my soul are holy!
    The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!
    Holy Peter holy Allen holy Solomon holy Lucien holy Kerouac holy Huncke holy Burroughs holy Cassady holy the unknown buggered and suffering beggars holy the hideous human angels!
    Holy my mother in the insane asylum! Holy the cocks of the grandfathers of Kansas!
    Holy the groaning saxophone! Holy the bop apocalypse! Holy the jazzbands marijuana hipsters peace peyote pipes & drums!
    Holy the solitudes of skyscrapers and pavements! Holy the cafeterias filled with the millions! Holy the mysterious rivers of tears under the streets!
    Holy the lone juggernaut! Holy the vast lamb of the middleclass! Holy the crazy shepherds of rebellion! Who digs Los Angeles IS Los Angeles!
    Holy New York Holy San Francisco Holy Peoria & Seattle Holy Paris Holy Tangiers Holy Moscow Holy Istanbul!
    Holy time in eternity holy eternity in time holy the clocks in space holy the fourth dimension holy the fifth International holy the Angel in Moloch!
    Holy the sea holy the desert holy the railroad holy the locomotive holy the visions holy the hallucinations holy the miracles holy the eyeball holy the abyss!
    Holy forgiveness! mercy! charity! faith! Holy! Ours! bodies! suffering! magnanimity!
    Holy the supernatural extra brilliant intelligent kindness of the soul!
    ~Allen Ginsburg, "Footnote to Howl"
    JainarayanShigoJeffreyStraight_Man
  • @Shigo @genkaku @MaryAnne... Thanks all. :) I thought this was pretty much it. Some people adhere so strictly to rules that they forget the devotional aspect. As a newbie it's easy to get caught up in "rules", especially because my shrine is a fusion of Hindu, Buddhist and Daoist (not incompatible the way I do and view it lol) and breaks the so-called rules. Which as you've all pointed out, really don't exist.

There you go, Its freeing and a breath of fresh air to just practice and let all the "rules" vanish. If one day you get more involved with a temple or a monestary then yeah, go with the rules...but in your own home thats your sacred space and its about wanting and enjoying coming back to that space again and again.
    MaryAnneJainarayan
  • riverflow said:

I keep mine under a stairwell.

I recall reading-- gosh, some 18 years ago-- I think I read it in Octavio Paz' book on poetics, The Bow and the Lyre-- when he lived in India as an ambassador for Mexico and he witnessed Hindu (IIRC?) priests chanting during some special occasion, but the villagers continued bathing in the river, washing clothes, and other ordinary activities. At first Paz thought the villagers acted disrespectful, as if they did not care about their own religious tradition, but then it dawned on him that the sacred and the profane consisted of this very "ordinariness."

@Jainarayan - Maybe you could think of your ecumenical shrine in the same way -- where may you find this division between the sacred and the profane? Why separate it? Perhaps that approach might work for you.

Hmm... quite tantric. See, there's always a way to see things. There are times I'm glad I have ocpd. :D
  • Shigo said:

There you go, Its freeing and a breath of fresh air to just practice and let all the "rules" vanish. If one day you get more involved with a temple or a monestary then yeah, go with the rules...but in your own home thats your sacred space and its about wanting and enjoying coming back to that space again and again.

To that end, I may fold up the screens and leave the shrine visible. I find that I tend to ignore it... out of site, out of mind. Even if I'm not making an offering or praying there, when it's open, which I've kept it occasionally, I'll stand there silently just taking darshan.
  • Shigo said:

To that end, I may fold up the screens and leave the shrine visible. I find that I tend to ignore it... out of site, out of mind. Even if I'm not making an offering or praying there, when it's open, which I've kept it occasionally, I'll stand there silently just taking darshan.

:thumbsup:
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I keep my shrine in cyberspace mostly . . .
    riverflowMaryAnneJainarayanShigo
  • lobster said:

I keep my shrine in cyberspace mostly . . .

Well, it's portable in the extreme. :D
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My shrine right now is in our living room, between the ferrets and a tortoise, and basically right next to the desktop computer. And we have 3 kids, so there is always plenty of noise. But it is always respected and clean, and when I get up in the morning, it's the first thing I see after leaving the bedroom (because it is at the end of the hallway). It works for me.
    My mom follows feng shui rules and it always telling me that having my altar at the end of a hallway is giving it too much free flowing energy that will disrupt my meditation (though I have not had a problem). So, everyone has some kind of rule they follow, lol. We can only do what works for us. I think Buddha would rather you have a place to practice at all. It's not as if he would be likely to stop for a visit and tell you you are better off not practicing if your shrine happens to be in a busy room.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If you place an altar in a public area then it will remind you (& others) of non worldly aspirations in the midst of daily life.
    If you place an altar in a private area then it will represent the same thing but with less worldly distractions.
    Since the Buddha clearly asked his followers not to build images of himself, seeking altar location info from most Buddhists is sketchy at best.
  • how said:

If you place an altar in a public area then it will remind you (& others) of non worldly aspirations in the midst of daily life.
    If you place an altar in a private area then it will represent the same thing but with less worldly distractions.
    Since the Buddha clearly asked his followers not to build images of himself, seeking altar location info from most Buddhists is sketchy at best.

I agree to an extent. If the person who has an alter does not worship the images but looks at them as a reminder of the practice I see no problem with it. I have a small shrine and it has been very beneficial to do chanting or just looking at my Buddha statue and contemplating on his teachings and so on.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Although I had to leave my Buddha statues in Thailand when I returned to the States, I never saw them as a statue I worshiped, but rather as a point of focus and a reminder.
  • @Shigo @vinlyn Pretty much on target. They are not the objects of worship themselves, but a representation, a conduit to connect with the deity(ies) the murtis represent. Murti is incorrectly translated as 'idol', whence comes the misconception that Hindus worship idols. Murti means 'form'. It's a representation and point of focus. I have statues and pictures all over the house because they're pretty, but it's this one place, the altar, where I make offerings, am particularly mindful of my practice, and try to do my meditation.
    Shigo
  • I know we had a "show us your altar/shrine area" thread somewhere around here several months back..... there were some really awesome pics posted. :D
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    the so-called rules. Which as you've all pointed out, really don't exist.
    @Jainarayan -- My view is that as long as anyone is practicing, for that long exactly there are always rules.
  • @genkaku would you elaborate?
  • Well, the whole subject has been rendered moot, as I just finished carefully packing and boxing everything up. I was about to do sadhana, and something happened that made me decide to just pack it all up. The corner looks funny, not having the altar, but I have a shelf with a yantra, an incense holder and an oil lamp. I won't be doing any sadhana there, it's just out of respect for the yantra, which has been energized, that I have it displayed.
  • Well, the whole subject has been rendered moot, as I just finished carefully packing and boxing everything up. I was about to do sadhana, and something happened that made me decide to just pack it all up..

What happened?
  • The short answer is I've wiped the slate clean because the shrine was out of control. The honest answer is that it was a temper tantrum. :( Something happened that peed me off royally (I am tired and my guard was down). I was totally not in the right frame of mind to do my prayers, as often happens. I thought it would be totally pointless and disrespectful to approach the shrine in such a state of mind. But, to go back to wiping-the-slate-clean, the shrine was out of control. I mean, I had a small statue representing a host of deities and bodhisattvas. It was overwhelming. At some point in the near future I will set one up again, but waaaay scaled back, just a few images, an oil lamp, incense holder and offering bowls.

Jeffrey
  • theres beauty in simplicity. My shrine has a butsudan that I painted with a tiny buddha statue inside. To the left are flowers. To the right a single glass water offering. in the center in front is an incense holder, in front of that 3 candles. On the wall above it is a japanese scroll.
    on the floor in front is a tibetan singing bowl.
    A while back I had such an elaborate shrine that it was actually distracting. Now its very scaled back and I feel more tranquil whenever I see it. I would recommend you simplify yours like you said whenever you feel up to it.
  • Shigo said:

theres beauty in simplicity. ...

A while back I had such an elaborate shrine that it was actually distracting. Now its very scaled back and I feel more tranquil whenever I see it. I would recommend you simplify yours like you said whenever you feel up to it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose shrine grew out of control. Yes, less is more. Elaborate, distracting and overwhelming is what is was. I'm actually glad I did it, because like a shrub that's grown out of control, it had to be pruned way back. In this case, down to the stump. Yes, I can make fun of myself. ;)
    Shigo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Your heart is more important than the shrine location. If the only place is by the dining room then so be it. Mine is in a shelf in the living room.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Maybe it has more power not to indulge in elaboration. You can sort out your priorities. :)
    Jainarayan
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    'If this person was a shrine, what sort of shrine would they be?'
    Ever played that game? You sit in a circle, one person leaves, somebody is chosen and then has to keep asking questions of the group: If this person was a . . . etc . . . until ready to guess . . .

A shrine is a personification or reflective evocation of ourself in sacred idealisation. :thumbsup:
    Jainarayan