Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should I get rid of my horror movies?

For those who don't know, I am trying to become a minimalist. But not 100% in the actual definition. More like trying to become more of a hybrid between "monk" and " modern man".

In other words, getting rid of things to simplify my life with the question of is it "morally" or "spiritally" ok to own this (thing/object)

I've always liked certain horror movies but not a big fan of horror in general. But the question of morality keeps me wondering should I get rid of the ones I have? Afterall horror is nothing but violence and blood and gore. I really don't think that Buddha would approve of keeping such movies.

Keep in mind "monk" and "modern man"...
Should I toss them?

Comments

• Could you toss them and be ok with it? If yes, then I say keep them. You seem to enjoy them for what they are, not for any representation of evil. Just some entertainment, nothing wrong with that, imo.
    First Twinkies, now this?????? You my friend are out of control :nyah:
    ShigovinlynMaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I cannot fathom the making of horror movies in exactly the same way as I simply cannot comprehend how someone can sit down and be paid to design a gun.

Knowing the desired result is to scare the bejeezus out of people - as a way of extracting money out of them - I just find the whole horror movie notion to be bizarre.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Give them away.

On my picnics to the hell realms, I sometimes watch horrible things.
    There is a computer acronym GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. Are you able to learn from horror? If so, bravo - I suspect not . . . you are probably just a cathartic, pent up, angry mob inside . . . or maybe that is just my remaining scandalous skandhas :wave:

In some agnostic, 'nothing to do with me' type dharmas we believe our actions should be, 'whatever will be, will be' . . . However I belong to the LILO school of Dharma, love in, love out.

I might just have to work on my zombie killing tendencies . . . even though it is for the wider good . . :sawed:
    zombiegirl
  • Shigo said:

For those who don't know, I am trying to become a minimalist. But not 100% in the actual definition. More like trying to become more of a hybrid between "monk" and " modern man".

In other words, getting rid of things to simplify my life with the question of is it "morally" or "spiritally" ok to own this (thing/object)

I've always liked certain horror movies but not a big fan of horror in general. But the question of morality keeps me wondering should I get rid of the ones I have? Afterall horror is nothing but violence and blood and gore. I really don't think that Buddha would approve of keeping such movies.

Keep in mind "monk" and "modern man"...
    Should I toss them?

I wouldn't look for a one-size-fits-all rule, but if you feel it impinges on your practice, then I would look into it. Don't worry about the Buddha's approval, but your OWN approval based on your understand of your practice at this point in time.

You could experiment (and incidentally, I do it this way, being quite minimalist myself): take the movies (and any other similar items) and put them in a storage box and in a closet. I do that and often if I don't even think of the item after about a year or two, then I get sell it.

I used to just get rid of things immediately because I felt I no longer needed it without a long period of keeping it in storage. As a result, I would get rid of things I regretted later (sometimes buying all over again)-- I ran into this problem continually with books. Now I have over 20 boxes stored next to the kitchen full of books (mostly philosophy, poetry and history).

Shigopersondantepw
  • federica said:

I cannot fathom the making of horror movies in exactly the same way as I simply cannot comprehend how someone can sit down and be paid to design a gun.

Knowing the desired result is to scare the bejeezus out of people - as a way of extracting money out of them - I just find the whole horror movie notion to be bizarre.

This is kind of how I feel as well. But on the fence you see, I am logical enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality ie movies are movies, but in no way shape or form do I think real violence is fine.
    The movies do not affect my practice but still, l find myself wondering theres really no "actual" benefit to watching them at least in the grander scheme.

@riverflow Im glad to see another minimalist here. Whats the #1 thing that helps you stay motivated to live a simple lifestyle?

• Shigo said:

@riverflow Im glad to see another minimalist here. Whats the #1 thing that helps you stay motivated to live a simple lifestyle?

Nowadays I don't really have a motivation-- I've lived like this for so long that I don't think much about it anymore.

Many years ago, living in Dallas, my ex-wife and I made a good deal of money and I think we gorged ourselves on a materialistic lifestyle (we never had children). Once the novelty wore off, I felt sick. We scaled things back a little bit, but not much by returning to Louisiana. It think this triggered my first awareness of wanting to live more simply.

After we separated and divorced (some eight years ago) I have tended to cut things out-- less upkeep. I have difficulty concentrating in a cluttered environment-- something I inherited from my mother (and her mother too). My place is not spic and span clean always, but I can't focus well in a cluttered apartment.

I mostly just read, write, or listen to music, rarely get out much (I live in a small town in Arkansas, if that explains anything hahaha). I don't think of my life as spartan but quite rich.

A lot of things just no longer interest me. I only found out a few weeks ago about "Duck Dynasty" -- I had heard the phrase, but didn't realize it referred to some reality TV show. LOL Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
    Shigo
  • @riverflow said "I don't think of my life as spartan but quite rich."
    thats awesome man

@riverflow said "A lot of things just no longer interest me."
    yeah same here.
  • From my perspective... I've lost, found again, repurchased, sold, given away, lost again so many 'things' that they no longer have much of an impact on me being around... In fact, the more I find I have [around me], the more I begin to feel a little trapped (and almost unhappy TBH) by the things I have to drag around with me. I enjoy simplifying, minimizing, and making life easy to pick up and move on/around with.

Except toys with motors, I tend to collect those! :P

If all else fails and I feel there are some items I need to hold onto for whatever reason, I do as @riverflow suggested and box them away or put them in a closet and see just how much I truly have a use for those particular things. If I don't end up using them within a reasonable amount of time, I give them away.

Also, you are aware that if you wish to hold onto movies, you can just rip them to a computer and not have them physically there? Maybe that's a viable option?
    Shigoriverflow
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I'd be careful about compulsively filling your desires to discard possessions.

See how you feel about it in another month or two.
    riverflowfedericalobster
  • The Buddha used horror to teach his monks. From the Dhammapada Atthakatha, story accompanying verse 147:
    Once, there lived in Rajagaha, a very beautiful courtesan by the name of Sirima. Every day Sirima offered alms-food to eight Bhikkhus. One of these Bhikkhus happened to mention to other Bhikkhus how beautiful Sirima was and also that she offered very delicious food to the Bhikkhus every day. On hearing this, a young Bhikkhu fell in love with Sirima even without seeing her....

That very night, Sirima died. King Bimbisara went to the Buddha and reported to him that Sirima had died. The Buddha told King Bimbisara to take the dead body to the cemetery and keep it there for three days without burying it. The king did as he was told. On the fourth day, the dead body of the beautiful Sirima was no longer beautiful or desirable; it got bloated and maggots came out from the nine orifices. On that day, the Buddha took his Bhikkhus to the cemetery to observe the body of Sirima.

Then the Buddha said to the audience, "Bhikkhus! Look at Sirima. When she was living,
    there were many who were willing to give one thousand to spend one night with her; but now none would take her even if she was given at no cost. The body of a person is subject to sure decay and degradation."

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Look at this dressed up body, a mass of sores, a frame of bones,
    sickly, a subject of many thoughts (of sensual desire).
    Indeed, that body is neither permanent nor enduring.
    Some information about meditation on corpses as detailed in the Visuddhimagga can be found at this link.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Sorry folks, but I'm going to "The Conjuring" this very afternoon. It's just a movie.
    kaytelobster
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I don't think you can just lump all horror movies together. There are numerous sub-genres that all create very different feelings.

There are the horror movies that are far removed from reality that simply have a shock/scare value. These ones are very enjoyable for me, personally, because I like being scared but it's so rare that this actually happens. I think it's an adrenaline thing. I would lump both the new and the old Evil Dead movies in this category for different reasons. Also, zombie movies, creature features, and ghost stories would probably fall under this category.

There are horror movies that are truly terrifying because they involve either true stories of horrific events, or at least possible events. The Girl Next Door is one movie that was so terrifyingly real, I just wish I had never seen it. The Hostel and Saw movies also probably fall under this category. Although I am a fan of horror, I usually don't like movies like this because they tend to end on such a sad hopeless note. Usually, everyone but the main character is dead... horrible things happened to them that they can never forget... And I likewise walk away feeling like I wish I could forget them as well.

I think when analyzing whether or not you should get rid of certain movies/cut things out of your life, you need to figure out what sort of effect they have on you and whether or not that is worthwhile or something that you want.
    riverflowlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Which is precisely why I make a point of never watching any of them.
    zenff
  • I don't enjoy the genre as much as I did when I was younger, but I do enjoy a well written, scary movie with a real plot. I also enjoy the show- "the Walking Dead"- not just horror and zombies, but a study of human nature and the struggle to overcome adversity to survive without losing one's humanity.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I watch horror movies, but more of as a comedy routine type of thing. The last horror movie to actually disturb me in any way was a little "gem" called "Cannibal Holocaust"

Do not watch this film if you haven't already. Those that have, you know what I'm talking about. I had to turn it off after a while, I was downright disgusted.
  • vinlyn said:

Sorry folks, but I'm going to "The Conjuring" this very afternoon. It's just a movie.

Supposed to be pretty good I hear.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

vinlyn said:

Supposed to be pretty good I hear.
    One of the best of the old-fashioned type of horror films I've ever seen.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Good point about the 'decaying body meditation' the Buddha recommended, it might be available on youtube but I won't be searching . . .

Did the Buddha ever say, 'all virtue and no play, makes Jill a dull gal'?
    Probably not.
    His 'monks' were a bunch of lustful lads, to be sure . . . no wonder he kept the courtesans out (just the way it was in ye olde India . . . different now)
    When you're feelin' sad and low
    We will take you where you gotta go
    Smilin', dancin', everything is free
    All you need is positivity

Colours of the world
    Spice up your life
    Spice Gals

Thank Buddha I have not got a collection of dodgy music videos . . .
    . . . come to think of it all I listen to on my MP3 player is Amitabha chanting . . .
    . . . I could be a hopeless case . . . a dharma zombie . . . the living dead . . .
    :bawl:
    wrathfuldeity
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited July 2013

I don't think you can just lump all horror movies together. There are numerous sub-genres that all create very different feelings...

--with a name like @zombiegirl , you should know, eh? LOL
    zombiegirl
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2013
    The whole genre doesn’t appeal to me, so I’m with @federica on this. Just don’t get those images into your system. They will never go away again. After twenty years the really disgusting parts will pop up every now and then as if you watched them yesterday.
    It’s just what some scriptwriter has been thinking and what a lot of people spend a lifetime in creating. They do that for a living. I don’t want to sponsor such a sick industry.

There’s a Buddhist recommendation to “protect the sense gates”. I just know the phrase, but I’m not sure what the source is.
    You probably get the idea. Protect the senses against too many or to extreme impressions. They will make it hard to settle down in meditation. If you want to attain some jhana tonight; don’t go to the wild party first and don’t watch the horror movie.

Some images I do want to have in my system though. I will never forget a massive book I read maybe twenty five years ago. It described in great detail the atrocities in the German concentration camps (I think the title was “The SS State”.)
    At the moment I’m reading a biography of Mao Zedong (responsible for 70 million deaths, the writer calculates). It describes in detail a long series of mass murders and the whole range of physical and mental torture that was put to use in the process.
    Why do I want to know about real events? (Probably that’s taking me off topic.) I do want to know about the human mind; about what we’re capable of. Because I’m convinced we’re carved from the same wood. What other people do is what (most likely) you and I would do under the same circumstances. When I read about the real atrocities committed by real people, I read about me.

Yeah, but he was seriously deranged..... so that's not necessarily true....but the phrase "There but for the grace of God go I" comes to mind.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    John Bradford. I didn't know that story but I found it (for the grace of Google).
    Thanks.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I will never forget a massive book I read
    . . . wake me up when we get to book burning . . . to 'save the children' . . .
    :hiding:
    vinlyn
  • Idk but being repulsed is the opposite of being attracted....both indicate an attachment and/or fascination. Weather something is beautiful or bloated with maggots...is it not the same? is it not a learned/conditioned response? Perhaps its an opportunity to investigate or test one's equanimity, or understanding of impermanence?
    lobster
  • I enjoy horror, and sci-fi. I'm with zombiegirl on the Hostel and Saw type movies, I just find them deeply unpleasant. But others, especially the cosmic horror such as In the Mouth of Madness, From Beyond, Silent Hill I find to be almost spiritual experiences, because of the atmosphere of "otherness" they can conjure up, or psychological horror which can get you thinking about the nature of reality. I find these darker films more thought provoking on a deeper level than lighter, fluffier films ever are, for me at least.
    lobsterzombiegirl
  • zenffzenff Veteran

Idk but being repulsed is the opposite of being attracted....both indicate an attachment and/or fascination. Weather something is beautiful or bloated with maggots...is it not the same? is it not a learned/conditioned response? Perhaps its an opportunity to investigate or test one's equanimity, or understanding of impermanence?

The brahmavihara of equanimity is accompanied by kindness, compassion and sympathetic joy.
    So equanimity is absolutely not the same as indifference and it is not about being able to eat your popcorn unmoved when people on the screen get butchered.

As Bhikkhu Bodhi puts it:
    The real meaning of upekkha is equanimity, not indifference in the sense of unconcern for others. As a spiritual virtue, upekkha means stability in the face of the fluctuations of worldly fortune. It is evenness of mind, unshakeable freedom of mind,a state of inner equipoise that cannot be upset by gain and loss, honor and dishonor, praise and blame, pleasure and pain. Upekkha is freedom from all points of self-reference; it is indifference only to the demands of the ego-self with its craving for pleasure and position, not to the well-being of one's fellow human beings. True equanimity is the pinnacle of the four social attitudes that the Buddhist texts call the 'divine abodes': boundless loving-kindness, compassion, altruistic joy, and equanimity. The last does not override and negate the preceding three, but perfects and consummates them.”[1]
    karmablues
    lobster said:

I will never forget a massive book I read
    . . . wake me up when we get to book burning . . . to 'save the children' . . .
    :hiding:

@lobster, you really need to quit posting purely for the point of just saying something.... :rolleyes:
  • I don't much care for the genre. Perhaps I have forgotten another instance or two, but the only one film uncharacteristically comes to my mind: Ridley Scott's original Alien from 1979.

Every aspect of this film ties into all sorts of uneasy psycho-sexual weirdness (some quite obvious, others much more subtle)-- every moment in the film cleverly contributes to this queasiness, sometimes even in a beautiful way.

My ex-wife used to watch all kinds of horror films (especially anything to do with vampires). I just don't relate. Going to the video store, she would head to horror, I'd head toward foreign films and we'd suffer through one another's films. haha
    karmablues
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    federica said:

I think the first type of horror movies I describe have the same effect as a drama, at least, for me. "Edge of your seat" interest, if you know what I mean. I don't see any harm in that sort of effect. But, like I said, it's pretty rare that something actually scares me and I actually enjoy fear in a weird way.
    mfranzdorf
  • mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
    edited July 2013

federica said:

I think the first type of horror movies I describe have the same effect as a drama, at least, for me. "Edge of your seat" interest, if you know what I mean. I don't see any harm in that sort of effect. But, like I said, it's pretty rare that something actually scares me and I actually enjoy fear in a weird way.
    I enjoy a bit of real fear myself. Makes you feel alive! I'd prefer to watch a good suspense/horror flick than deal with the real horror/hate / evil that you get from the nightly news sometimes. You spoke of the original Evil Dead earlier. My sister directed and acted in a stage version of that. Hoo boy was that wild!
    Ok, thread hijack is over.....
    zombiegirl
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited July 2013
    How far does responsibility go in terms of the people that make movies and those of us who want them and continue to fund the success of them? Is Hollywood all to blame for making them while us helpless souls just cannot help ourselves to go spend the $10 to see them? Or is more of the responsibility on the consumer to not fund such movies if they don't want to see them?

Not everyone thinks of being scared by horror movies as a bad thing. I enjoy some of them. I don't like the unnecessary non-stop cursing or the sex that often accompanies them, but I like one with a good story line, like The Exorcist. I have enjoyed the Paranormal Activity movies (some more than others) just because in the fall, a good creepy movie that makes me wanna sleep with the lights on is actually, in some way, enjoyable to me. Why, I don't know. I've wondered myself. But they don't give me nightmares and so far have not caused me to kill anyone else. I just enjoy them and then I am done, like some people enjoy the opera or the ballet, I guess. Why is one more pure for the mind than others, even when so many operas or ballets are utterly depressing? Is watching sports less harmless knowing how many people are likely cheating and getting paid millions for it? What makes fictional horror movies so much worse than the things so many enjoy in "real" life that are based on lies and horror in a different way? At least I know when I shut the tv off that the movie wasn't real. The horrors of the real world around us seems far worse than most things Hollywood can come up with.
    riverflowvinlynDandelion