Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and THC

Hello to all, I am a new member and I have read a lot of the discussions here, which have been very interesting. I am very fortunate to have been directed to this website as it addressed several topics I have been experiencing myself. I thank you all for sharing your experiences.
I am not much of a talker so I will get straight to the point. I do smoke on occasions (typically at night while doing most of my research/studying) and I have noticed I would fall into a more intense meditative state only after smoking. I've reached unexplainable stages of bliss from electrifying moments to complete stillness and silence. For the past few weeks I have been "cleansing" and I have noticed my meditation experiences have not been as blissful as prior experiences. I understand the role THC plays in the mind and body, however, since the cleansing I have not been able to reach even a mild meditative state. I have no intention of giving up my attempts as I continue to absorb as much helpful tips/information to assist me during my meditation sessions without the THC in the system.
Can anyone here relate to this topic? Please comment. Thank you.
Love & Light to all.

Comments

• I can't really offer much help but let me welcome you. I hope you continue to gain benefit from this site
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I can relate... as a matter of fact, a question/comment very similar to yours was one of my first questions I asked when I joined this forum a year ago. ;-) My inquiry wasn't received very well, unfortunately- (I hope you fair better).
    Anyway- I'm just running out the door, but will be back in a few hours and I will be glad to get involved in discussion.
  • Thank you Shigo and MaryAnne...very kind. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    I read a description in a book that helped me to understand to relations between psychoactive substances and spiritual growth. It described it as though each gateway of new understanding is guarded by a prankster. It is easy to be fooled by that prankster, and we think we've passed through it when all we've really done is jump into a maze of mirrors. In most spiritual practices which use psychoactive substances, there is usually a specific ritualistic framework that helps prevent descending into the maze.

They influence the mind, producing a state of "induced concentration" which can help us approach gateways of self that were going unnoticed. This like a crutch helping us walk with a broken leg. The drawback is that a state of induced meditation is unstable, and it becomes difficult to nourish the roots of the understandings. Similarly to how when we use a crutch, the muscle of the leg atrophies. Said differently, meditation is a much healthier and reliable form of exploration of different qualities of consciousness.

riverflowseeker242lobsterperson
  • edited July 2013
    In terms of meditation all on your own all I can say is, like anything the more you do it, the easier it becomes.
    Theres a great deal of insight behind "just watch your breathing" that 1000's of volumes have been written about, countless threads here and elsewhere, teachers, gurus, zen masters, yogis, renounciants, etc.
    Don't give up...but also dont cling to "I hope I reach a (x, y,z) kind of experience"
    the benefits will show itself in due time by "just watch your breathing"
    Namaste my friend
    riverflow
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited July 2013

I have noticed I would fall into a more intense meditative state only after smoking.
    I've reached unexplainable stages of bliss from electrifying moments to complete stillness and silence.
    however, since the cleansing I have not been able to reach even a mild meditative state.

There's always an issue with definition - take 'exercise' for example - we all kind of know what we mean when we say that - something akin to an elevated physical exertion say... so we need to define it further in order to better understand exactly what it may be that we are communicating - like 'circuit training' means something very different to 'weight training' or 'digging a hole in the street'... all of them involve exercise however.

Similarly, where meditation is concerned, we're discussing a very wide definition so care should be taken when extrapolating - for example, in many traditions intoxicants are not utilised in meditation - therefore to take principles of a non-intoxicant system and apply them to an intoxicant system seems to invite yet further confusion.

By that I mean that for example, trying to understand a 'high' experience with the tools of a non-high practitioner sounds like a doctor playing vet - your classification of an 'intense' or 'mild' experience may just be your way of saying 'high' or 'not high' rather than denoting any significance to the meditation per se.
    person
  • Thank you all for the amazing feedback.

Live, Love and Smile

:om:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Meditation is being Open to Awareness.
    riverflowVastmindKundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Meditation is how we learn to lessen our conditioning responses to phenomena.

Seeking after a particular state in meditative is just the development of an attachment to that particular state.

Regardless of using THC or not, the end result of this seeking will be your suffering.
    riverflowmfranzdorfpersonblu3ree
  • Clarification - I am extremely grateful to reach any meditative state whether mild or intense. I have learned to understand not to seek/expect the same type of prior experiences as I will only run into constant disappointments. Each and every meditation session WILL never be alike. I am on a treadmill and there is no stopping me. Practice makes perfect!! Again, thank you all for your typed thoughts.
    Shigo
  • Thumbs up Egoless_Being
    :thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I do smoke on occasions (typically at night while doing most of my research/studying) and I have noticed I would fall into a more intense meditative state only after smoking. I've reached unexplainable stages of bliss from electrifying moments to complete stillness and silence.

This in my opinion, isnot 'meditating.'
    This is just being 'spaced out'.
    For the past few weeks I have been "cleansing" and I have noticed my meditation experiences have not been as blissful as prior experiences. I understand the role THC plays in the mind and body, however, since the cleansing I have not been able to reach even a mild meditative state.
    That's because you never have....
    I have no intention of giving up my attempts as I continue to absorb as much helpful tips/information to assist me during my meditation sessions without the THC in the system.
    Can anyone here relate to this topic? Please comment. Thank you.
    Your attempts are embryonic.
    Read the threads in the Meditation sub-forum to gather more insight.
    mfranzdorfKundoJoyfulGirl
  • @Federica
    I have successfully meditated with and without THC, but thanks again for your opinion. My comment was mostly based after the cleansing process I am currently going through. I do realize there is a lot more knowledge for me to gain and I rely on my higher self and experts to guide me through this process. Also, with all due respect, my mental awareness is strong enough to differentiate between being in a meditative state (mild or intense) or being "spaced out." Thank you for taking the time to comment.

:om:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Meditation Master Ajahn Chah writes about this in his book "A Still Forest Pool"
    Real effort is a matter of the mind, not of the body. Different methods of concentration are like ways of earning a living-the most important thing is that you feed yourself, not how you manage to get the food. Actually, when the mind is freed from desires, concentration arises naturally, no matter what activity you are engaged in.

Drugs can bring about meaningful experiences, but the one who takes a drug has not made causes for such effects. He has just temporarily altered nature, like injecting a monkey with hormones that send him shooting up a tree to pick coconuts. Such experiences may be true but not good or good but not true, whereas Dharma is always both good and true.
    It's more difficult now because by using THC you "have not made causes for such effects". The cause for the effects was the THC and now that the THC is not there, the effects diminish. Simply cause and effect really. :)
    riverflowkarmabluespegembaraperson
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Well, I'm a regular cannabis smoker, for personal and a few medical reasons. Here's what I've found out from my own experiences. The herb inspired me to go an meditate, to try and develop my mind a bit. Before I started, I was very single-minded, only focused on making money or improving my lot in life. After I started smoking, even if I go a long time without it, my mind is full of why's and I spend a lot of time looking at the sky and seeking alternate solutions to problems, and even being perfectly satisfied if I come to the conclusion that the problem does not need to be solved.

Cannabis caused me to think so much differently, but I do not use it to think. understand the difference?
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I think you made a good decision. If you are able to keep of the smoking and keep with the meditation, I'll hereby promise you will be able to experience far more pleasant states. :) Because the sharper the mind, the more aware of peace it can be.

However, I do say don't crave or strive for this. It is only a stepping stone and not the goal of meditation.
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I accept your analysis, MaryAnne, but I will point out that for some of the #1 it is not a moral ie good evil distinction rather it is from the point of view of "I believe it clouds the mind". That sentence in quotes has nothing to do with morals.
    personKundo
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    When we talk about meditation in the context of the entire Buddhist practice, the issue of morals cannot be ignored because morals, concentration and wisdom are very closely interrelated.

In the Surangama Sutra, the Buddha said:
    You constantly hear me explain in the Vinaya that there are three unalterable aspects to cultivation. That is, collecting one’s thoughts constitutes the precepts; from the precepts comes samadhi (concentration); and out of samadhi arises wisdom. Samadhi arises from precepts, and wisdom is revealed out of samadhi. These are called the ‘Three Non-Outflow Studies‘.
    And Ajahn Chah once said:
    If this is so, it means that you are already on the path, i.e. practising sila (morality), samadhi (concentration) and panna (wisdom). These must be practised together, for if any are lacking, the practice will not develop correctly. The more your sila improves, the firmer the mind becomes. The firmer the mind is, the bolder panna becomes and so on ... each part of the practice supporting and enhancing all the others.
    SabreJeffrey
    Personally, I smoked weed everyday for almost 5-6 years. Wake and bake! I even had a clandestine hydroponic grow op in my bedroom closet! Grow lights, pumps, Ph testers, the whole thing!

It does make you have nice, albeit delusional, experiences. A lot of people take view 1 because they have already been through this and found view 1 to be the correct one in the context of practicing Buddhism. So they just say "view one is correct" because they experienced, at the time, what appeared to be awe-inspiring or spiritually profound experiences, but when they later compared them to the clarity and insight that comes from Buddhist practice and meditation, they then realize that yea those experiences that I once thought were really profound, were really just delusions after all.

Like zen teacher Brad Warner says "People who say these things about drugs and meditation may have tried drugs but most have never really attempted much meditation. ...maybe they’ve been to a Vipassana retreat or even rented a cabin at Tassajara one summer. But they don’t have any real depth of experience with meditation to compare to their drug experiences."

What he says is just the truth. The experience can't even begin to compare to one another. Cannabis is a relatively benign substance physically. Heck, it's safer than alcohol. However, when it comes to Buddhist practice and eliminating delusions, it's not benign.
    karmablueslobsterpersonKundo
  • Most of what has been noted, fwiw, I agree with...morality aside, I hazard to make a speculation that it was drugs...mainly marijuana and psychedelics that were culturally the gateway drugs to meditation and eastern philosophies for folks here in the West. In the 60's and 70's there was a lot of cross/hybrid-experimentation of doing drugs and meditation together that resulted in some spectacular experiences/results. The "war on drugs" have sequestered a lot of further investigation...however recently there have some little glimmers of this line of research starting to re-emerge more from medical/clinical research pov.

My personal experiential/anecdotal POV, I've had some deeply healing and insightful experiences while being "high" and meditating. I certainly do NOT recommend it to anyone due to the potential risks and morality backlash....but imo its an individual's decision. However its been years...a lifetime since doing this in my youth and currently I do not desire or crave a drug affected meditative state...but it was a gateway or door of perception at was opened that has lead to a more enriched state of being.
    MaryAnne
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Imagine going to a senior monk and describing a meditative experience as 'just like being really, really - I mean really - stoned'.

Laughable?

Not comparable. Not the same thing.
    Appreciate what some have said about gateways but even so . . . :wave:
    mfranzdorfzombiegirl
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    lobster said:

Imagine going to a senior monk and describing a meditative experience as 'just like being really, really - I mean really - stoned'.

Laughable?

Actually a senior monk would most likely take something like that seriously - at least a beatific smile and a nod.

There's no state of mind that can't be brought to the cushion, including a mind altered by some psychoactive substance. Why not take that seriously? If a student has a meditative experience that's a lot like being stoned, well, I'd say that's worth serious and meaningful discussion. If a student has a profound experience during meditation while stoned, that, too, merits serious, and skillful counsel.
    MaryAnnelobster
    edited July 2013
    Just a quick not to ponder: Some people can focus quite intently while "high" on cannabis. Some people can't focus at all.
    But most people can absolutely learn to control their thoughts and focus, or un-focus and allow free thought expression while "high" on cannabis.

Much of the time people who have never tried cannabis, and/or only used it a few times to GET "high" back in the day, don't realize (or remember) that cannabis can affect different people in different ways, and honestly, there is still a huge amount of "control factor" left to the user when it comes to mental state while high.

As for meditation; people use chanting, drumming, bells and other forms of "enhancement" to trigger and or altar their mind's state in order to facilitate a higher focus or level of meditation.
    All that droning, monotone chanting monks do for hours on end while sitting.... you think they are merely chants or prayers? No, it actually changes the vibrational frequency of the brain.
    Stand before a rotary fan and hum along with it... find that perfect pitch that matches the fan's hum and rotation and you will cause your brain to see through your eyes the fan's blades slow down significantly. The fan hasn't changed speed, your brain's perception has changed... by humming at a certain vibration/frequency.

This is what chanting or any repetitious sound does while meditating. Why is this manipulation (or "short cut" if you will) to a higher meditation state OK, but accentuating one's focus or free thought for meditation - with cannabis - is not?

Aahh yes.... because it's a 'drug' and a short cut.
    And drugs & short cuts aren't allowed. One must 'work' to reach the top of the stairs by walking up each step slowly, one foot at a time, careful not to falter, not to fall back -- not jumping two or three steps at a time. And yet both will reach the top step eventually; but is one more superior than the other because of their slower, more sedate and conventional way of getting up those steps? ::: shrugs :::
    lobsterEgoless_BeingFlorianSeveral
  • ^^ That should be "note" to ponder, not 'not' to ponder. And NO I haven't been smokin' da grass! ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Hmmm but enlightenment is not about seeing illusions in fan blades. It may just be an analogy to show that doing something causes a sensory output?
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2013
    This is what chanting or any repetitious sound does while meditating. Why is this manipulation (or "short cut" if you will) to a higher meditation state OK, but accentuating one's focus or free thought for meditation - with cannabis - is not?
    Fashion, legality and responsibility.

It is for most of us legal to chant and is likely to lead to harder drugs . . . eh . . . more mindful fixes.

Does suffering lead to Buddhism? Yes very often.
    Let us flagellate? . . . or maybe not even discuss . . .

Is THC calming? Yes. Relaxing? Yes.
    Always, no.

Should we start a thread on meditation dependency? Maybe . . .

:scratch:
    MaryAnne said:

Because the first is not a short cut, while the 2nd is. The first is a product of "right effort" while the 2nd is not. It should be noted though that this is said specifically in the context of Buddhist cultivation, not generally speaking in a spiritual sense. Buddhism teaches a specific type of mental training. With Buddhist style of cultivation of effort, mindfulness, concentration, there is a difference between "concentration" and "right concentration". "Mindfulness" and "right mindfulness", etc. While THC may cause some people to be able to concentrate better, it's not considered "right" concentration.
    And drugs & short cuts aren't allowed. One must 'work' to reach the top of the stairs by walking up each step slowly, one foot at a time, careful not to falter, not to fall back -- not jumping two or three steps at a time. And yet both will reach the top step eventually
    According to Buddhism, if your cultivation is not "right" cultivation. You will never reach the top. Although, you might reach something that appears to be the top.

riverflowkarmablues
  • seeker242 said:

Because the first is not a short cut, while the 2nd is. The first is a product of "right effort" while the 2nd is not. It should be noted though that this is said specifically in the context of Buddhist cultivation, not generally speaking in a spiritual sense. Buddhism teaches a specific type of mental training...

By analogy, the use of steroids in athletics comes to my mind.
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @ seeker242 so what is specifically the "right ____", is having a teacher is cheating and does the teacher have to be of a pure lineage? what about the left path?
    edited July 2013
    ^^
    You are once again going back to dismissing the results, because of religious/moral judgement that using cannabis (the short cut) is a "bad" act according to BUDDHIST precepts....

What about people who are not specifically on the Buddhist path who have religious or profoundly 'spiritual' experiences while using cannabis? I wasn't a Buddhist when I had mine, so therefore I wasn't breaking any precept at the time.

What happened to the idea that even if Buddhist, not every Buddhist is seeking "enlightenment', nor uses mediation with that goal in mind? Not every Buddhist follows ALL the precepts ALL the time, and that goes for nearly everyone in this forum as well.

What happened to allowing others to walk the path as they see fit, as long as no harm is done to others and not judging who is a good Buddhist and who is bad ?
    See? Mention cannabis, and suddenly everyone is a fundamentalist Buddhist, eh?

I know, I know, The Good Book of Precepts says it's wrong, so it's wrong. If anyone thinks their experience (with cannabis) was not "wrong" and instead believes their experiences brought them more open mindedness, more understanding and more spiritual JOY than any other "right" practice they had ever done before - or since- it's all delusion. Why? Well, because cannabis is "wrong"...

Also, isn't it pretty presumptuous to dismiss other people's personal, deeply spiritual experiences based on the rules and regulations you choose to follow to be a "good" Buddhist? Especially when in other areas, most of you are willing to delve into 'interpretations' of many of those precepts and rules, you know- when it suits.

Circular. Based in moral judgment. Gets nowhere, once again. :)

Peace.

• @seeker242 said:
    "According to Buddhism, if your cultivation is not "right" cultivation. You will never reach the top. Although, you might reach something that appears to be the top."

If one thinks merely following all the rules, to the letter, (without true understanding & compassion in your mind and heart for yourself and others), is a golden ticket to "The Top"... whatever that is... maybe they are the deluded?
    Egoless_Being
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    What about people who are not specifically on the Buddhist path who have religious or profoundly 'spiritual' experiences while using cannabis?
    Do they? Maybe so.
    I met someone who had gained all their 'spirituality' from LSD. Did they have experiences? Yes.
    Were they spiritual? Well in at least one persons head they were . . . I found the evidence underwhelming . . .

People have samadhi whist driving F1 racing cars. Do we discuss the merits of F1 Buddhism? On the whole - no . . .
  • I thank you all again for the feedback and @MaryAnne, I now know what you meant lol!! Everyone has brought up very good points. I didn't bring up this discussion to be told what is wrong compared to what is right. I find my own truth and that is what I base all of my decisions on. My purpose of cleansing is for purity and to prove to my higher self that I do not have any "attachments." There is no right or wrong way to meditate...traditions are meant to be altered. There is no line we must all walk in order to reach whatever dimension your perception is comfortable in. Regardless of the opinions listed here, I will continue to meditate with and without THC. I have made a lot of progress and it is becoming easier to find my own truth because in this vehicle/machine, my heart is in control!

This life is not as serious as some make it out to be...

Remember, this is all a game...time to level up!!

Love, Live and crack a damn smile!!! :om: ;)
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • robotrobot Veteran
    lobster said:

What about people who are not specifically on the Buddhist path who have religious or profoundly 'spiritual' experiences while using cannabis?
    Do they? Maybe so.
    I met someone who had gained all their 'spirituality' from LSD. Did they have experiences? Yes.
    Were they spiritual? Well in at least one persons head they were . . . I found the evidence underwhelming . . .

People have samadhi whist driving F1 racing cars. Do we discuss the merits of F1 Buddhism? On the whole - no . . .

But we do discuss the arrangements of sacred items on our shrine, the importance of Mala beads, various dietary restrictions.
    We discuss whether our eyes should be open or closed in meditation. A pillow or a zafu?
    And endless debate about important subtleties of view.
    All very important spiritual issues.
    Is any of it more spiritual than a discussion of how thc can affect our perceptions?
    VastmindMaryAnne
    MaryAnne said:

@seeker242 said:
    "According to Buddhism, if your cultivation is not "right" cultivation. You will never reach the top. Although, you might reach something that appears to be the top."

If one thinks merely following all the rules, to the letter, (without true understanding & compassion in your mind and heart for yourself and others), is a golden ticket to "The Top"... whatever that is... maybe they are the deluded?

I would say yes. Which is why "right view" is called "the forerunner" or the beginning of the path. Someone at the beginning is by definition deluded. Only a person who hase reached the end is no longer deluded.

I like this little excerpt about it from here. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel377.html
    Right view, as explained in the commentary to the Sammaditthi Sutta, has a variety of aspects, but it might best be considered as twofold: conceptual right view, which is the intellectual grasp of the principles enunciated in the Buddha's teaching, and experiential right view, which is the wisdom that arises by direct penetration of the teaching. Conceptual right view, also called the right view in conformity with the truths (saccanulomika-sammaditthi), is a correct conceptual understanding of the Dhamma arrived at by study of the Buddha's teachings and deep examination of their meaning. Such understanding, though conceptual rather than experiential, is not dry and sterile. When rooted in faith in the Triple Gem and driven by a keen aspiration to realize the truth embedded in the formulated principles of the Dhamma, it serves as a critical phase in the development of wisdom (pañña), for it provides the germ out of which experiential right view gradually evolves.

Experiential right view is the penetration of the truth of the teaching in one's own immediate experience. Thus it is also called right view that penetrates the truths (saccapativedha-sammaditthi). This type of right view is aroused by the practice of insight meditation guided by a correct conceptual understanding of the Dhamma. To arrive at direct penetration, one must begin with a correct conceptual grasp of the teaching and transform that grasp from intellectual comprehension to direct perception by cultivating the threefold training in morality, concentration and wisdom. If conceptual right view can be compared to a hand, a hand that grasps the truth by way of concepts, then experiential right view can be compared to an eye — the eye of wisdom that sees directly into the true nature of existence ordinarily hidden from us by our greed, aversion and delusion.

Most, if not all, Buddhist teachers, Buddhist wise men, etc. would agree that when one moves from conceptual right view into experiential right view, which is really what removes the delusion, one finds that they both say the same thing. When this happens, the rules are no longer "rules" or "dogma" but rather simply the truth of the situation.

Jeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Is any of it more spiritual than a discussion of how thc can affect our perceptions?
    You want visions? Practice magic, take drugs etc. Any use? Well look at the fruits . . .

I find those with 20 years of regular intoxication have less wisdom than those with 20 years of refining their meditation practice. If your experience is different, all well and good. I only know that driving oneself crazy, taking drugs is interesting but not skilful. That is my experience. That is what most experienced practitioners suggest . . .

You want clarity of mind? You don't take intoxicants . . .

:wave:
    mfranzdorfpersonKundo
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer

For the past few weeks I have been "cleansing" and I have noticed my meditation experiences have not been as blissful as prior experiences.

Based on my limited experiernce, meditation in a Buddhist context isn't supposed to be blissful. It's something else entirely becuase you're more engaged with what's going on around you, rather than detached from it in an altered state of mind. So what you described is probably not surprising.

That said, the Buddha made the fifth precept no intoxicants for this very reason: it obstructs the Buddhist path. Prior to enlightenment, it is said that he studied with other teachers, and tried various techniques that created powerful, blissful states, but he felt that they accomplished nothing in the end. So, he developed the technique of mindfulness meditation in order to be more engaged and as a result, gain insight into things as they exist.

The precepts are of course optional, but they are described as "training rules" for a reason: they train you to follow the path more effectively. So, like a doctor telling you to lose weight, you don't have to follow it if you don't want to, but sometimes you might be pleased with the result in the long-run if you do.

Good luck.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • People that like smoking weed will find any justification to do so and are at times "proud" of it, like it's some accomplishment. People that do not smoke weed are often times annoyed by this. The smokers do it because they like it and how it makes them feel, so naturally they get defensive when it is suggested that maybe it isn't wise to do so. Non smokers will always think it is unwise. It's an argument without end. Like a lot of things in this world that are divisive.......round and round we go..........imo, the precepts are clear on this one.
    JeffreyCitta

For example, Ram Dass who is an eminent expert on psychedelics and became a famous spiritual teacher, recognized the limits of psychedelics with the following conclusion:

Remind me of this video by Hindu Guru Mooji, a student of Ramana Maharshi. "Mooji Answers a Question about Smoking Hash". Although to be fair, hash is way stronger than marijuana! Pretty funny video too. :lol:

Jeffreykarmablues
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Most people mix hash with tobacco thus it is often just as strong. I don't partake anymore though I have a glistening memory of my youth on hash and Marijuana. I like Moojis response..

"Yes. I am not the one smoking... my friend is"
    lol

Mooji is laughing at that like he just smoked the spliff :)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    It's funny but I find that marijuana makes me very anxious and that little doubting voice creeps up again trying to tear down my self esteem. I avoid it like the plague these days......

I'm amazed that anyone could sit still and quieten the mind!
    Jeffrey
  • I smoke occasionally at night as well (like at this moment) and i can transition into a deeper meditative state. I would not make it a crutch though, when you I to meditate without THC it is even harder to get into a deep state or relaxation.
    Egoless_Being
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Fantastic post @Karmablues. We are not all in the same place, so the benefits and disbenefits of THC cannot always be generalised.

"From what I have gathered from those who have tried drugs and actually benefited from it, most also recognize that the benefit from drugs is limited to being a kind of eye opener into the possibility of a higher level of consciousness, but cannot provide an actual path for attaining real insight and wisdom."

It seems this way to me also. For what it's worth I have even heard Eric Clapton say exactly this of his experiments.

riverflowlobsterkarmablues
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I accept your analysis, MaryAnne, but I will point out that for some of the #1 it is not a moral ie good evil distinction rather it is from the point of view of "I believe it clouds the mind". That sentence in quotes has nothing to do with morals.

I totally concur with this 100%

In metta,
    Raven