Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meaninglessness

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned meaninglessness of life, how it is scary and painful.

But isn't the opposite the case? If there is no inherent meaning, then it means you have the freedom to invent any meaning you please, and it does not even have to be permanent. Every day you can invent a new meaning. Or you can do away with 'meaning' altogether and live aimlessly.

Point is, without meaning life is free of commitment and responsibility. No burdens to bear, nowhere to reach, nothing to attain, no purpose to fulfill. In short, meaninglessness is absolute freedom. So I wonder why people become depressed when they realize there is no inherent meaning to life.
BodhivakariverflowInvincible_summercvaluepegembaraWisdom23

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    But freedom is meaningful ;) It's the monkey with his arm in the vase with the banana in it.
    riverflowericcris10senpegembara
  • I feel bad for those people that are unable to enjoy life.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Put a nail through your foot and tell me it has no meaning! Simply holding an ethos of meaninglessness is not freedom... it seems more like a denial of karma.

No burden? No responsibility? We can't think our way out of the maze, nor deny its existence. Neither work, which is why the Buddha taught.

With warmth,
    Matt
    Dandelion
  • How about the Middle Way? ie. Life is both meaningful and meaningless. For example, Thich Nhat Hanh says that,
    There is a sutra that was translated into Chinese around the second century. It is called the Sutra of the Forty-Two Chapters... In that sutra there is one sentence that says:... “My practice is to practice the action of non-action, to practice the practice of no practice and to attain the attainment of no attainment.”
    In the context of the OP, we could say that the Sutra quoted above basically also says that the practice is both meaningful and meaningless. How is it meaningless? TNH says,
    What is your business? You may describe your business as trying to transform yourself, trying to reach enlightenment, trying to save human beings. Throw it away. Don’t consider it to be your business. If you run after that kind of business you cannot be yourself. You are a wonder of life and you are surrounded by wonders of life. A person without enterprise, without any project, without any business—that reflects the practice of non-attainment. There is nothing to obtain.
    And how is life at the same time meaningful? TNH says,
    [At the same time] our practice is [also] to take refuge in the present moment because the present moment is always available. The present moment is full of life, full of wonders. We don’t have to run towards the future to get it. You are already a wonder and surrounding you are wonders you can experience, if you know how to stop and to become fully present.
    You can read more on this at this thread
    riverflowMaryAnneJeffrey
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    The meaningful meaninglessness!
    The universe gives not one wit about my life or it's travails or triumphs.
    But I do.
    riverflowlobsterpegembaraWisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Has anyone else noticed how meaningful "meaninglessness" seems to be?
    riverflowlobsterMaryAnneVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Meaning?
    Don't be mean?
    Don't be average?
    Meaning less - au contraire . . .

Simple things have much meaning . . . infinitely so . . . :orange:
  • genkaku said:

Has anyone else noticed how meaningful "meaninglessness" seems to be?

This.

"Meaninglessness" simply represents yet another kind of "meaning," even of the most bitter, nihilistic sort.

For some, I suspect they claim "sour grapes." For others it indicates symptoms of a deep sickness and suffering-- at least from my own past experience with "meaninglessness."

Once I overcame (or exhausted) my suicidal thoughts ten years ago, "meaning" and "meaninglessness" (in the context of a comic "purpose") no longer concerned me as it once did-- I think it frames human experience too much in terms of misleading metaphysical questions.

I understand and sympathize with the tendency, but the meaningful/meaningless debate places our sloppy lives into nice and neat little dualistic conceptual boxes. Doing so may even set us up for greater suffering because then we buy into the assumption that life (1) has got to have meaning, or (2) has got to be meaningless. I ended up in a position where I desperately wanted to cling to one or the other, provided it give me some relief. Neither really did.

So personally, I find the categories of "meaning" and "meaningless" (in the broad metaphysical context) harder to relate to now. It doesn't do justice to human experience or to the life in general.

Why do we need to superimpose meaningfulness or meaninglessness on life? Meaninglessness represents anthropocentrism in reverse. Does a tree or a frog or a rock consider its own "meaning" (or lack thereof)?
    stavros388lobsterzenffpegembara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    More papañca with your tea, Vicar?
  • Its a progression:
    meaning,
    no meaning,
    meaning and no meaning,
    then "whatever dude"
    karmablueslobster
  • betaboy said:

So I wonder why people become depressed when they realize there is no inherent meaning to life.

Because it goes against everything we have drummed into us by our parents, our schoolteachers, our bosses, our friends, everyone. From day one we're told "do such-and-such because blah blah", everything is explained in terms of having a purpose, go to school to get an education, find a partner to have children, get a job to earn money, earn money to buy stuff, get garbage bins to put stuff in. Everything has it's reason. So, when you finally stand up and ask "why?" you get either blank expressions or evangelism of divine plans. Meaninglessness doesn't fit in with the story of man, both individually and as a species, and that's why (I think) people get existentially depressed.

riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There IS a meaning to life.
    To be happy, and to make others happy.

In that order.

Many people mistake the state of happiness with always having to have a smile on your face.
    It's not.
    It's contentment, whatever "the weather".
    It's accepting what is, and realising that in the long run, whatever 'is', isn't.
    And that that's ok.

Contented acceptance takes longer to type than happiness, though...;)
    VastmindkarmabluesJeffrey
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Following up on Fede's idea of the purpose of human life is first to be happy and to bring joy to others:

Meaning is none other than expression. As Nietzsche said, meaning is not Given, but Taken. Through our hopes and dreams and friendships and lovers we make our own lives. Meaning is not inherent, as the OP seems to suggest it might sometimes be; nay, it is more like a coherence or cohesiveness of things. It is the faculty (not merely the sense) of belonging to something either holy or beauteous or enticing or just a family of loved ones... or belonging to something larger than oneself.

In other words, I'd say that meaning is Relevance and that meaninglessness would be a state of (complete?) irrelevance.

Meaninglessness, I think, is a state in which interest in other things would be diminished greatly. I mean, to be interested (inter-esse, literally: interbeing) in something is "to be into it." A meaningful life is one in which the protagonist is interested in many people, places, and things, and is compassionate and responsible. The protagonist's freedom is the thing that most gives his life meaning. Freedom is no daydreaming, flittering thing (that I think the OP implies), but is concrete and is the stuff of the very air we breathe.
    lobsterriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I think there is a difference between purpose and meaning as @Nirvana mentions.
    Chasing meaning v meaninglessness as @riverflow mentions has no useful purpose.

What is useful and has meaning to most of us, is the 4NT ( four noble truths )
    Not quite sure how often we need reminding of that . . . :)
    riverflowkarmablues
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

There IS a meaning to life.
    To be happy, and to make others happy.

In that order.

How's that working out?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We may feel meaningless and feel sad because of it (or not, but bear with me)...

But in that sadness the need to feel better is in our heart's concern. We have such a rich sadness and emptiness and longing.
  • Imagine the difference in the 'meaningful' & 'meaningless' between those totally un-judgemental, absolutely un-self-regarding and unpretentious and those without those qualities. Where do you wish to regard meaning? You get to choose.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2013
    You get to choose
    I choose a rocking chair and a porch/veranda and a view.
    Prefer the rocking chair to the meaning . . . :wave:
    ForuiliveGui
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    This reminds me of someone... I once had an online friend that one day made a post saying that she had been so incredibly unhappy for so long that all she could think about was suicide, however, instead of just giving in immediately, she decided to give herself one good year of carefree living to see if she still wanted to kill herself. She quit her job and took all her savings and did whatever she wanted to do with it. Basically, she chose to remove herself from everything making her so unhappy as a last ditch effort.
    I did send her a letter at the time, but she chose not to respond. Words can pale to depression, so I understand. But, before anyone worries, this was several years ago and I am happy to say that she is still around. :)
    riverflow
  • I have and do think exactly that. I would rather stick to a goal/path rather then fleeting between so in a way i can measure my success. This may have something to do with my rock bottom self esteem and i feel need to prove my worthiness but hey ho lol. I mean my three pronged path is learning i love learning (yeah i know i am a geek) being compassionate and spending time with others and my music.

Hope this helps.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Reminds me of this video. "No Meaning is True Meaning" Although, "no meaning" is certainly not "meaningless" :)

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • lobster said:

You get to choose
    I choose a rocking chair and a porch/veranda and a view.
    Prefer the rocking chair to the meaning . . . :wave:

• ....Watchin' Life Go By... looks kinda like How Do We Get Our Ball Back ...subtitled, Looks Like They Added Another Lane To This Asphalt Kingdom...lol?
  • This reminds me of someone... I once had an online friend that one day made a post saying that she had been so incredibly unhappy for so long that all she could think about was suicide, however, instead of just giving in immediately, she decided to give herself one good year of carefree living to see if she still wanted to kill herself. She quit her job and took all her savings and did whatever she wanted to do with it. Basically, she chose to remove herself from everything making her so unhappy as a last ditch effort.

Boy, this sounds like me. Except in my case it's been going on right about 5 years now.

I did send her a letter at the time, but she chose not to respond. Words can pale to depression...

So true.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    IMO meaning and meaningless belong to the dream realm.
    riverflowpegembara
  • +1
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Meaning isn't something we find, it's something we give.
  • There are billions of meanings out there. When we find something meaningless, it could actually be a good thing. That said I agree with the OP.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Meaning is necessarily shared.
  • When we say life is meaningless, we actually want it to have a meaning or else this doubt would not have arisen.

riverflowJeffrey
  • attracted, averse, neither

Always the faculties of awareness. Meaninglessness cries out for meaning.