Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your favorite books that youve learned alot from ?

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited July 2013 in Arts & Writings
If you guys can suggest some great books for me that have changed you alot and might change me as well that would be great.Im very interested in any book you suggest as long as you briefly describe it. Preferably a book that is relatable to what we speak about on this board . I also prefer you do not list a book that is a novel, I dont feel like reading a novel.

How about carl jung the red book? anybody heard of that ? been meaning to give it a chance does anybody know whats good about it?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2013
    (Moved to 'Arts & Writings')

'The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying' - Sogyal rinpoche

'The "Awakening" Trilogy' (Three books) - Lama Surya Das.

profound yet light, anecdotal, interesting and at times, humorous. but very good.
    Invincible_summer
  • federica said:

(Moved to 'Arts & Writings')

'The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying' - Sogyal rinpoche

'The "Awakening" Trilogy' (Three books) - Lama Surya Das.

profound yet light, anecdotal, interesting and at times, humorous. but very good.

Yeah I had the tibeton book downloaded from a while ago, guess ill go ahead and read it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I sincerely recommend it.... It's what knocked the final nail in the transition from Catholicism to Buddhism.

I still think you need to lighten up and not be so intense, though.
    These books are Guides and suggestions, not hard and fast rules and regulations.
    Be kind to yourself, relax, ease up.....
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The lojong http://lojongmindtraining.com/ is intended as a mind training approach. Pema Chodron wrote a book called Start Where You Are and her former teacher wrote a book Training the Mind which is incidentally what I am reading about.
  • federica said:

I sincerely recommend it.... It's what knocked the final nail in the transition from Catholicism to Buddhism.

These books are Guides and suggestions, not hard and fast rules and regulations.

How?
    If im too kind to myself I end up losing myself and then I end up indulged in useless idle thoughts.
    How can I lighten up without losing mindfulness
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, minduflness and middle way combine as ideas, for some of us. Thus, observe what is happening with feelings and do not go wildly loose and self-indulgent, but only loosen up some-- takes practice to do right, but the reward is great.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Everyone has their own style and from there they meet the world. The good side of being high strung is that there is a lot of motivation.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    For reading up on 'doctrine':
    The Word of the Buddha by Nyanatiloka, which you can find for free here:
    http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.
    It contains the major teachings of the pali suttas in an orderly way. There are more books that do this, but this one is very compact and in general I like the translations a lot.

For learning about meditation:
    Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm, to which you can find the first four chapters here:
    http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books11/Ajahn_Brahm-Mindfulness_Bliss_and_Beyond-Chapters1-5.pdf
    It is the most useful book on meditation I have ever seen - then again I've seen very little others because this was my first book on meditation and I've never really needed to look any further. From the initial stages of meditation to the culmination of meditation, all the way until enlightenment, you'll find it in here. The part on the hindrances I think is the best.
    Invincible_summerkarmablues

federica said:

How?
    If im too kind to myself I end up losing myself and then I end up indulged in useless idle thoughts.
    You know your problem?
    You have a complete and total misconception of what Buddhism asks of you.

You're trying too hard and making everything a grinding chore.

You are your own worst enemy, because this is not how it's supposed to be.
    Mindfulness is light, accepting and gentle.
    Not intense, anal and strained.

Effort should be Right, not Excessive.

This must be agony for you - but you're just doing it to yourself.

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited July 2013

How?

Mindfulness isn't forcefully scrutinizing every little movement, thought, sensation. It's mere observation of these things so that, over time, one will begin to see their true nature as impermanent and therefore not "us."

It takes time. Don't be so hasty.

I think Pema Chödrön refers to mindfulness (although she doesn't really call it that) as "touching a bubble with a feather" or something. This excerpt may be helpful.

Anyways, the books that have helped me in various ways are:
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki; Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck; A Still Forest Pool by Ajahn Chah/Jack Kornfield; and Song of Mind by Sheng Yen; Buddha of Infinite Light by DT Suzuki; and The World's Religions by Huston Smith.
    riverflowVastmindkarmablues
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    federica said:

federica said:

How?
    You know your problem?

Well, hey, some people just have to learn everything for themselves you know? The Buddha himself tried out very austere practices before finding the middle ground.

Imo, study is the easy part of Buddhist practice. I love reading books! But taking that information and applying it... especially beginning to apply loving kindness as a natural response... that takes a lot more time. I often find myself rereading books and finding amazing insights in words I totally missed because I just wasn't far enough along to understand when I first read them. So, you know, I guess all I'm saying is... the OPs probably just got to work through this stuff in his own way with his own understanding.
    lobsterriverflowInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
    edited July 2013
    federica said:

federica said:

How?
    You know your problem?

How?

Mindfulness isn't forcefully scrutinizing every little movement, thought, sensation. It's mere observation of these things so that, over time, one will begin to see their true nature as impermanent and therefore not "us."

It takes time. Don't be so hasty.

I think Pema Chödrön refers to mindfulness (although she doesn't really call it that) as "touching a bubble with a feather" or something. This excerpt may be helpful.

Anyways, the books that have helped me in various ways are:
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki; Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck; A Still Forest Pool by Ajahn Chah/Jack Kornfield; and Song of Mind by Sheng Yen; Buddha of Infinite Light by DT Suzuki; and The World's Religions by Huston Smith.
    You see the problem is that I understand the concept of what is bad about me. I just cant feel myself wanting to improve. I try to improve but I dont feel like I want to. My motivation is the idea of a motivation instead of a pure feeling. I cant force myself to feel things no matter how much I would like to. Thats the problem with us people, how can we trust ourselves when we cant even control how we feel about something?
    HAMLET
    ....."there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison."

ROSENCRANTZ
    "Why then, your ambition makes it one."

(Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 2 Scene II)

If you perceive 'bad' in yourself, that's your own evaluation; a harsh judgement nobody else prescribes to.
    And I believe your judgement is both warped and flawed. You are who you are.
    And yet, you are also not who you believe yourself to be.
    Because every day brings development, evolution, change.

What are you improving from?

What is there to improve?

Why do you feel it MUST improve?

Forcing yourself to feel things is a false premise.
    I cannot force myself to feel something either.
    Who says that's a pre-requisite?

Who is "us people"...?

Emotions are not there to be controlled, necessarily. They are there to be witnessed, allowed, acknowledged, honoured and felt.
    What is damaging, is permitting them to dominate and over-whelm.
    But they have a right to be there....
    riverflowkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Probably the books I have read most apart from Buddhist books are by Idries Shah, 'knowing how to know', 'learning how to learn'.
    These books are Sufi in orientation but not only relevant to Islam, if at all. The books deal with the mistaken idea that everyone is capable and willing to engage in a spiritual path that is viable for them. It also deals with a prescriptive and scatter (many impacts from varied directions) approach that creates a mature spirituality.
    It is very different to Buddhism but applicable. For example the virtuous behaviour (sila) that is seen as a great achievement in Buddhism is seen as basic civilised humanity. Insight is gained by learning from every day experience and not techniques.
  • federica said:

HAMLET
    ....."there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison."

ROSENCRANTZ
    "Why then, your ambition makes it one."

(Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 2 Scene II)

If you perceive 'bad' in yourself, that's your own evaluation; a harsh judgement nobody else prescribes to.
    And I believe your judgement is both warped and flawed. You are who you are.
    And yet, you are also not who you believe yourself to be.
    Because every day brings development, evolution, change.

What are you improving from?

What is there to improve?

Why do you feel it MUST improve?

Forcing yourself to feel things is a false premise.
    I cannot force myself to feel something either.
    Who says that's a pre-requisite?

Who is "us people"...?

Emotions are not there to be controlled, necessarily. They are there to be witnessed, allowed, acknowledged, honoured and felt.
    What is damaging, is permitting them to dominate and over-whelm.
    But they have a right to be there....

I must improve in mindfulness,concentration and insight. I must improve the connection between myself and the reflection of myself, my self conscious. I want to feel free of the endless cycles of ego gratification and endless desire for temporary satisfaction. Because Being aware of things doesnt make them go away. I believe that your best interests are in your own self and my best interest are in my self, that is the nature of things. This is what I have judged as "bad". This is not a harsh judgement nor a perception , it is the truth.
    edited July 2013
    No, it's not the truth.
    Improvement in Mindfulness, Concentration and Insight may be a prerequisite but these things take time and natural development; they cannot be 'forced' or coerced into being hurried.

You want it all, and you want it now.

I have been practising Buddhism for over 20 years now, and know for a fact I do not have these three factors right at all, but I will say that with gradual development and measured practise, they have doubtless improved....

Your desires to feel free, is actually what is keeping you trapped..
    You have a little bird in your hand, and you're urging it to flap its wings and soar - but you're holding onto its little legs and impeding its freedom.

being aware of things isn't meant to make them go away; it's meant to make you conscious of them, and accept them as part of progress. Gradually, the more you notice them, the less significance or hold, they have over you. Your focus is not to dispense with them; your focus is to acknowledge, accept and cradle them. In time, they will leave of their own accord.....

You have this all wrong.

And THAT - is the truth.

(I repeat my question: Who is "us people"...?)
    Invincible_summer
  • some of my favorite authors:

WY Evans Wentz
    Stanislav Grof
    Terence McKenna
    Ken Wilber
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

... how can we trust ourselves when we cant even control how we feel about something?

For me, @heyimacrab, it takes a good amount of faith.

Some would say that Buddhism is great because you don't need faith, at least not in a personal god. I would beg to differ. Buddhists have faith in the teachings of the Buddha, the truth of the Dharma, and the strength of the Sangha.

In my own life, this faith plays out more or less like this quote:
    “Faith is not being sure. It is not being sure, but betting with your last cent...

Faith is not a series of gilt-edged propositions that you sit down to figure out, and if you follow all the logic and accept all the conclusions, then you have it. It is crumpling and throwing away everything, proposition by proposition, until nothing is left, and then writing a new proposition, your very own, to throw in the teeth of despair...

Faith is not making religious-sounding noises in the daytime. It is asking your inmost self questions at night, and then getting up and going to work...

Faith is thinking thoughts and singing songs and making poems in the lap of death.”
    -- Mary Jean Irion
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    That is a good idea to seek why you are motivated. Don't force it just contemplate it lightly and with a light heart. Underneath all the layers of 'looking for love in all the wrong places' there is Bodhicitta or wishing to escape suffering. At a point there is real generosity.

"Compassion is based on some sense of a 'soft spot' in us. It is as if we had a pimple on our body that was very sore-- so sore that we do not want to rub it or scratch it. During our shower we do not want to rub too much soap over it because it hurts. There is a sore point or soft spot which happens te be painful to rub, painful to put hot or cold water over it.

That sore spot is an analogy for compassion. Why? Because in the midst of immense aggression, insensitivity in our life or laziness, we always have a soft spot, some point we can cultivate-- or at least not bruise. Every human has thtat kind of basic soft spot including animals."

Chogyam Trungpa in his book Training the Mind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    On my Uncles bookshelf was this:
    http://buddhistbooksblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/what-the-buddha-taught-by-walpola-rahula/

it was the first book on Buddhism I read . . . not sure when.
    We would visit, I would read.

How many times? not sure.
    Back to basics. Now the equivalent is probably 'Buddhism for Dummies'
    karmabluesJeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Is there a certain school/tradition you are leaning towards, or currently studying? I see the suggestions vary from Tibetan to Zen to Theravadan.
    Any book someone suggests might speak to you, but it would be helpful to know if you have already chosen a tradition or not, and if you are looking more for beginner and introductory material or sutras/suttas or something else... Just sayin'.

I read (past and present tense) books from many schools but my focus is Tibetan so that is the majority of what I read and study. Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is excellent, as was already recommended. I enjoy many books from Thich Nhat Hahn and find him and Pema Chodron easy to understand at an early level and yet still good to read as you go along. Right now I am considering getting Chogyam Trungpa's Ocean of Dharma series, as I am greatly enjoying a couple of his books.

But the most helpful for me have been many translations of The Bodhisattvas Way of Life/Way of the Bodhisattva and Thich Nhat Hahn's The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings.

Even though I study Tibetan Buddhism, I honestly have a hard time reading HHDLs books, yet many people really love them. Oddly, I love to hear him speak but I find his books dry for some reason. Maybe I've made bad choices in books, lol. It might be best to take a list of books suggested here and go to the library and see what you can find and look over because investing in them. You will probably find that some speak to you immediately, and some that you maybe even hoped would speak to you, do not.

• Hello ! Am reading 'Cave In The Snow' by Vickie Mackenzie about Tenzen Palmo.
    Lama Yeshe books are quite nice
    Lama Zopa Rinpoche offers plenty
    Solitude and Loneliness: A Buddhist View was excellent
    Walden
    The Way of the Bodhisattva by Shantideva
    ...and certainty read, in silence, your mind...observe it daily.
    Thanks
    edited July 2013
    Does anybody know were I can download the pdf file for the carl jung red book in english?

All i can find is some other language
  • Off the top of my head, life changing books for me which I would recommend anyone:

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Henry David Thoreau, Walden (seconding @Foruilive 's suggestion)

Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Seneca, Letters (which I find very inspirational)

Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of Understanding

Laozi (attributed), Dao De Jing (I like Red Pine's translation)

And one novel and one short story:

Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment (Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation)

Raymond Carver, "Cathedral" (the short story)

Invincible_summer
  • I'm too lazy to try and narrow down my list of most life changing books, but for authors, I'd point anyone interested towards George Orwell, Iain Banks, Douglas Adams, Frank Herbert and John Steinbeck.

Pick up just about any book from one of these authors and you'll learn a lot IMHO.
    edited July 2013

Does anybody know were I can download the pdf file for the carl jung red book in english?

"Some other language" is probably German.
    As Carl Jung was Swiss-German, it's not likely to be published online in a translated version.
    you'll have to seek a hard-copy translation.

Once more - who is "us people".....?

I ask because it makes it sound as if you believe you're from some 'elite' group.....?

:scratch:
  • ...let's just say we're all an elite group...e-lite. We don't need to define, distinguish, categorize...we elite won't stand for it...lol. Let it all gently roll off, roll through, roll on...that's it...breathe, yes, you've got it...nice !
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    The book titled Alcoholics Anonymous, but affectionately called 'The Big Book'.
  • I can't say these books will be inspirational or life changing for anyone else, but some of my favorites that I've learned from:

The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff.
    Where There Is Light - Paramahansa Yogananda.
    Living Buddha, Living Christ - Thich Nhat Hanh.
    The Book On Taboos Against Knowing Who You Are - Alan Watts.
    The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta - Swami Prabhavananda
    The Bhagavad Gita
    The Gospel of Matthew. 'Mark' is supposed to be better, but I just always liked 'Matthew'.
    Invincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind Beginner Mind. Take in the vibes and compare your thinking.
    Invincible_summer
  • @Jeffrey I started reading Zen Mind Beginner Mind but then I got distracted and put it down. Now I'd have to start from the beginning. I understand it's a good read, being transcriptions of his talks?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @Jainarayan, I'm not sure if it's a description of his talks. I think so. I liked the feeling I got when I read it. I liked the vibe. I haven't read it in awhile. It's been said to be a very profound book, but the beginner can see a breath of fresh wind and a new paradigm.
  • A new paradigm is what I need! Thanks. :)
    edited August 2013
    federica said:

"Some other language" is probably German.
    As Carl Jung was Swiss-German, it's not likely to be published online in a translated version.
    you'll have to seek a hard-copy translation.

Once more - who is "us people".....?

I ask because it makes it sound as if you believe you're from some 'elite' group.....?

:scratch:
    us people is just another way of saying our human nature

"us humans"
    No.
    You are like no other human on this board.

I have never encountered anyone who feels so intensely that everything he does is wrong, is a struggle, is a handicap, is a hurdle that he must somehow overcome, fight, wrestle with, toss and turn with, and intensely conquer.

You over-do EVERYTHING and in spite of many telling you that you need to release, relax and just be comfortable, you argue and counter-discuss, because this inexorable struggle you're always having with yourself, compels you to be a a perfectionist and you HAVE to realise one thing:

it will never, ever, ever BE - PERFECT.

The more you struggle, the harder the progress will be.

THAT - is YOUR reality.

Your real fight is actually to quit fighting.
    Invincible_summerJeffreyriverflowStraight_Man
  • federica said:

No.
    You are like no other human on this board.

I have never encountered anyone who feels so intensely that everything he does is wrong, is a struggle, is a handicap, is a hurdle that he must somehow overcome, fight, wrestle with, toss and turn with, and intensely conquer.

You over-do EVERYTHING and in spite of many telling you that you need to release, relax and just be comfortable, you argue and counter-discuss, because this inexorable struggle you're always having with yourself, compels you to be a a perfectionist and you HAVE to realise one thing:

it will never, ever, ever BE - PERFECT.

The more you struggle, the harder the progress will be.

THAT - is YOUR reality.

Your real fight is actually to quit fighting.

If I stop fighting than I will be consumed by it. To stop fighting is to give up. To stop fighting is to consciously indulge into this endless cycle.
    edited August 2013
    federica said:

No, it's not the truth.
    Improvement in Mindfulness, Concentration and Insight may be a prerequisite but these things take time and natural development; they cannot be 'forced' or coerced into being hurried.

You want it all, and you want it now.

I have been practising Buddhism for over 20 years now, and know for a fact I do not have these three factors right at all, but I will say that with gradual development and measured practise, they have doubtless improved....

Your desires to feel free, is actually what is keeping you trapped..
    You have a little bird in your hand, and you're urging it to flap its wings and soar - but you're holding onto its little legs and impeding its freedom.

being aware of things isn't meant to make them go away; it's meant to make you conscious of them, and accept them as part of progress. Gradually, the more you notice them, the less significance or hold, they have over you. Your focus is not to dispense with them; your focus is to acknowledge, accept and cradle them. In time, they will leave of their own accord.....

You have this all wrong.

And THAT - is the truth.

(I repeat my question: Who is "us people"...?)

somehow I missed this. You dont understand I cant let go of this desire to be free, because the only reason I have a chance to one day be free is because of this desire. Without this desire I would have no desire.

I dont understand this concept of acknowledge ,accept and cradle. What is the difference between awareness and conscious thought?

If I stop fighting than I will be consumed by it. To stop fighting is to give up. To stop fighting is to consciously indulge into this endless cycle.

Oh balls.
    Stop dramatising things excessively.

This constant striving for answers, which people give you, and you do not seem to get, because you believe that to stop fighting, is to give up...

What is this 'It' that you'll be consumed by?

You don't get that it's your fighting "it" that actually keeps it alive,.
    You are creating your own mess, here.

It's existent because with your constant insistence, you nourish it.

I think you need therapy.
    I really do.
    Invincible_summerThinGentlement

somehow I missed this. You dont understand I cant let go of this desire to be free, because the only reason I have a chance to one day be free is because of this desire. Without this desire I would have no desire.

I dont understand this concept of acknowledge ,accept and cradle. What is the difference between awareness and conscious thought?

@heyimacrab:

I think the desire you're talking about and struggling with can be normal at the beginning of any spiritual practice, but the level you're exhibiting (at least here on these forums) does seem a bit worrisome. I'd see a chaplain or counsellor if I were you.

As for the difference between awareness and conscious thought - to me, awareness is just being aware of something without judging it. You know it's there, but you don't really do anything about it. Conscious thought is when you exert effort into picking something apart or scrutinizing something.
  • Without this desire I would have no desire.
    Excellent . . . [in my best Mr Burns voice]
    Then you should increase in your battle, in fact you should fight so hard that you can think of nothing but winning.

What were you hoping to win? How does this avoid suffering, or is that unimportant?

• I've mentioned it in this forum in the past....

(Remember) Be Here Now by (Baba) Ram Dass.
    Absolutely life changing, for me, anyway.
  • The Art of War. If you can study this you will win your struggle by strategy not wasted effort. If you suffer over your suffering you simply compound the problem, but your aim is sincere which is a worthy goal.
    If there is an obstacle, go around it rather than through it. Quick realisation is possible but it is always unexpected never planned.
    Keep fighting, but keep calm. Save your energy, it is that which will push you beyond.
    Jeffreylobster
  • MaryAnne said:

I've mentioned it in this forum in the past....

I read it, I guess I didnt understand it. What did it teach you?

and I prefer you guys mention books and than briefly describe them or else I wont have any interest in them

and I prefer you guys mention books and than briefly describe them or else I wont have any interest in them

Why is the onus on us to "sell" you the book? Especially in the realm of spirituality, I think it's more important for you to see if you find the writing/topic interesting and experience it for yourself.
    federicariverflow
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013

MaryAnne said:

This book is a difficult book to recommend to people because one will either "get it" or not. Not because the message is particularly difficult to get, (its not, really) but because one needs to view the book as an actual "journey" to understanding the message. (If that makes any sense! LOL)
    It was written back in the very early 70's (I think 1971?) ... right around when the whole Woodstock/Hippie/drug experimentation/ search-for-spirituality age pretty much hit its peak for a few years...

The book itself is filled with art. Lots of drawings and little doodles in margins, between words or phrases, or smack dab in the center of pages.
    The words on the pages were often not written in a linear pattern from left to right. Sometimes the words spiraled from the center of the page outward- or sometimes inward. :)
    Sometimes the words were written in hand script, sometimes mechanical type, sometimes small, even tiny, sometimes large, even huge!
    Reading the book according to how it (each page, each word) was written; emphasizing in your head the large words/thoughts; following the spiral as if following a path (of words) towards reaching or understanding something.
    There was a reason for writing/drawing/spiraling the words the way they were written.
    It was really a matter of applying more than ordinary reading comprehension to the text of the book- one had the 'experience' of reading the book and 'getting' the messages.

Overall, the messages in the book were simple, and yes, very "Buddhist" like. Practicing Mindfulness. Setting aside expectations. Acceptance. Selflessness. Love, Love, Love for all things great and small. Respect for the Earth. Setting aside fears. Eliminating judgement. Respect for humanity..... and so forth.

I was taken by complete surprise the first time I sat down to read Be Here Now. Even though I was told by friends (further along the spiritual path than I was at the time) ahead of time how to read the book with the understanding that it WAS a journey... and not just a book to read.

I planned ahead so that I could immerse myself into this book and read it carefully and completely in one sitting. I have no IDEA how long that took. Two hours? 4 hours? More than that? No clue.
    I laughed, cried, got the chills, nodded in complete understanding, felt absolute Awe and inspiration, and yes, felt a little baffled here and there as well. But it was a life changing experience, for sure.

I have since read the book two more times; many years after that first reading. Knowing what to expect, I wasn't as gobsmacked as the first time, but I was still impressed and very much spiritually refreshed just the same.

MaryAnne said:

You think I'm going to cite four shelves of Buddhist books from the Bodlean Library and give you a synopsis?
    The whole point of even mentioning a book, is to communicate that it had an effect on us. That alone, is of significance.

What effect, is unique to us. It doesn't mean it will have the same effect on you.
    And Spiritual Development is largely down to personal progress.

You pressure yourself too hard already.
    I have already expressed the opinion that you need therapy, or counselling, because you are super-intense' to the point of extreme excess.

Don't pressure us to feed that aspect.

riverflowInvincible_summerlobster
  • Maybe a cup of tea, Fed?
    Nope,. I'm just fine thanks. Actually, I just had one.

;)
    Invincible_summer
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    federica said:

MaryAnne said:

You think I'm going to cite four shelves of Buddhist books from the Bodlean Library and give you a synopsis?
    The whole point of even mentioning a book, is to communicate that it had an effect on us. That alone, is of significance.

What effect, is unique to us. It doesn't mean it will have the same effect on you.
    And Spiritual Development is largely down to personal progress.

You pressure yourself too hard already.
    I have already expressed the opinion that you need therapy, or counselling, because you are super-intense' to the point of extreme excess.

Don't pressure us to feed that aspect.

Well, personally, I didn't mind (at all) explaining to @heyimacrab my take on a book that he/she has read but didn't get anything from.

Not sure I understand why such an interjection was needed.....
    lobster
  • How about carl jung the red book? anybody heard of that ? been meaning to give it a chance does anybody know whats good about it?

What is good is wanting to read it . . . wether you should is your call . . .
    http://www.gnosis.org/library/The-Red-Book.pdf

. . . Jung was a speculative alchemist
    . . . is that a good thing? Maybe . . .

. . . here is my 'green stone' working of alchemy/Rasayana - not for everyone . . .
    http://tinyurl.com/odj6bnx

:wave: