Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the 'best' Buddhist teaching style

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Of course there is no 'best' Buddhist teaching style, but my view is that that never stopped students from finding the style that suited them best, that encouraged them most directly, that pointed most clearly in a nourishing direction.

My own leaning was always towards the old teachers in Zen -- Rinzai, Dogen, Ummon, Hui Neng, Obaku, Ta Hui, etc.
But for personal training, I liked my teacher's style. If you wanted to talk about Zen or koans or formalities, he would do that. But otherwise -- and this is where the 'best' part came in for me -- he might talk ordinary talk ... stuff about small adventures he had had, things he had seen on TV, a case of diarrhea in Israel, or the price of cantaloupes. Nothing show-offy, nothing overtly kind or humble or compassionate; nothing tight-lipped and solemn; nothing "Zen." This was the territory for courage and attention and determination... for my purposes. An example of the 'best' stuff for me can be seen in the story called "Stingy In Teaching."

I know that some people appreciate a cracking whip in their practice while others take more kindly to warm snugglies and gentle words. Some like an ass-kicking mixed in with a hug and a kiss. I'm just sitting here thinking about how various the 'best' teaching or teachers might be (including the phonies) and wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on the matter.
Invincible_summerCinorjer

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The teacher should teach all of them good Buddhist teachings as reflected in their own creativity. They have the clear mind to analyze their own manure and then spew it out as milk.
  • EVERYTHING contains the Dharma. Cantaloupes, criminals, stars, suttas, penguins and policemen. Be awake to what each has to teach.
    riverflowlobsterVastmindmfranzdorf
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The Zen-talks of my first teacher where confusing to me. I thought: why don’t you take a simple concept and stick to it? Why keep contradicting yourself?
    Until at some point he said: “something is only true when the opposite is equally true”. That did it for me.

In the same way this question of style has two sides, the way I see it. It is great if a teacher is so spiritual that all he does is having “small talk”. But at the other hand I can get “small talk” any time from any idiot on the bus.

And if a teacher is strict on discipline and has long grueling meditations that can be helpful. But maybe we’re just being macho? One of the most confronting sesshins for me was a sesshin where the participants were me and three middle aged ladies. There was zero challenge in it and in some strange way that crushed me.

Or what about a teacher who radiates love and warmth and softness? When you look a little deeper, you may find it is just the surface. You could be a lot better off with someone who’s just fair and honest and doesn’t cover up his true feelings/intentions with a thick sauce of “warmth”.

Could go on like this, but I hope you get the idea. There are always two sides to it.

• cvaluecvalue Veteran
    I've learnt a lot from Master Chin Kung without meeting him in person. I learn from him by listening to his teaching videos on Youtube and by reading his texts found on the web.

Here is about Master Chin Kung: http://www.buddhanet.net/masters/chin_kung.htm
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Although most of my Buddhist life was in Vajrayana I was very deeply influenced by the late Ajahn Anando the first Abbott of Chithurst..he was warm and funny and wise and a beautiful person.
    When my daughter was pregnant he and her then boyfriend ( they later married ) had a blessing ceremony for the unborn baby..afterwards Ajahn Anando smiled one of his beaming smiles and said to them, ' and remember, we do weddings too..no extra charge ' :)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Be awake to what each has to teach.
    People always ask about teachers. Ask if you are a great student.
    Then as @lamaramadingdong says you will learn. Great students produce great teaching.
    riverflowVastmindCinorjer
  • The best teachers are the everyday people you run into and interact with - everyday.
    riverflowVastmindmfranzdorf
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    The role of teacher is very important to learn Buddhism. Here is the story of how Master Chin Kung found his path in Buddhism (in his own words):

Master Chin Kung's Own Experience with Buddhism

When I was a young student in Nanjing, I did not believe in any religion. I went to church with some classmates to learn about Christianity. Although I tried to understand it, I could not find a way to accept it. My favorite religion at that time was Islam because its emphasis was on moral principles and ethics, and I thought that this was rare among religions. When I encountered Buddhism back then, the monks were not very convincing. Therefore, I could not accept Buddhism either and it was the one I resisted the most. I was too young at that time and had not met a true practitioner.

After I arrived in Taiwan, I heard of Professor Dong-Mei Fang, who was then a famous philosopher and a professor at the National Taiwan University. Having become an admirer of his, I wrote him a letter asking about taking a class from him at the university. Professor Fang was only in his forties at that time. He invited me to his house and told me, "Nowadays in school, professors do not act like professors, and students do not act like students either. If you come to the university and expect to learn something, you will be sorely disappointed." When I heard this, I was pretty upset since he had basically poured cold water over my plans. Finally, he told me: "Well, why don't you come to my house every Sunday, and I will give you personal instruction for two hours." I could not believe that he was so compassionate towards me. I learned about philosophies at Professor Fang’s small table in his little living room, one on one. This was extremely precious to me. He introduced the philosophies of the West, China, India and finally Buddhism. He taught me that Buddhism is the pinnacle of the world's philosophy and that it provides the greatest enjoyment for humanity. What he told me was fascinating and soon I realized that Buddhism contained something magnificent. I started to visit the temples in Taipei. However, the monks I met in those temples just could not clearly explain Buddhism to an intellectual skeptic like me. However, the monks are much better in teaching Buddhism today. Then I set my first sight on Shan-Dao-Si, which was a large temple in Taipei with a vast collection of sutras. During that period of time, the wide publication and circulation of Buddhist books was very rare. The monks at Shan-Dao-Si were extremely kind to me as they allowed me to borrow many of the precious and rare sutras. This was a great help to me.

Soon after I started to learn Buddhism seriously, I was fortunate to meet Master Zhang-Jia. He was a well-accomplished Esoteric practitioner who taught and guided me in my study and practice. Just like Mr. Fang, he taught me two hours every week for three years until he passed away. I then went to Taizhong to follow Mr. Bing-Nan Lee and started studying and practicing with him.

Buddhism is a special kind of knowledge; it is not a religion. In order to derive true benefit from it, we have to understand it’s true nature. I have the utmost respect for Buddhism and I believe Buddha Shakyamuni to be the foremost educator in the history of the world. He was just like Confucius in that he taught everyone tirelessly and without discrimination.
    Jeffrey
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    zenff said:

The Zen-talks of my first teacher where confusing to me. I thought: why don’t you take a simple concept and stick to it? Why keep contradicting yourself?
    Until at some point he said: “something is only true when the opposite is equally true”. That did it for me.

Equivalently, as Lao-tsu says, 'True words seem paradoxical.'

• "A student can be his own teacher and learn more than any classroom could provide. But, it takes a special type of student and a special type of teacher." Terry Pratchett

Don't know why that bit of remembered line popped into my head.

When I look back at the line of great teachers in my life, what I first notice they had in common was a love of teaching. A passion for teaching. Something that used to be referred to as "a calling". Every one of them had a personal connection to their students and used the feedback to guide their teaching. The impersonal lecture where the Teacher or Master sits on his platform and regurgitates his wisdom to the adoring room isn't teaching. It's only preaching. Teaching is two way.

JeffreyVastmind
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    That seems a very narrow definition of teaching. But I see what you're getting at.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The best teachers are the ones that can continuously "pull the rug out from under you". :)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I like teachers with a great sense of humour.
    riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    cvalue said:

The role of teacher is very important to learn Buddhism. Here is the story of how Master Chin Kung found his path in Buddhism (in his own words):

Master Chin Kung's Own Experience with Buddhism

When I was a young student in Nanjing, I did not believe in any religion. I went to church with some classmates to learn about Christianity. Although I tried to understand it, I could not find a way to accept it. My favorite religion at that time was Islam because its emphasis was on moral principles and ethics, and I thought that this was rare among religions. When I encountered Buddhism back then, the monks were not very convincing. Therefore, I could not accept Buddhism either and it was the one I resisted the most. I was too young at that time and had not met a true practitioner.

After I arrived in Taiwan, I heard of Professor Dong-Mei Fang, who was then a famous philosopher and a professor at the National Taiwan University. Having become an admirer of his, I wrote him a letter asking about taking a class from him at the university. Professor Fang was only in his forties at that time. He invited me to his house and told me, "Nowadays in school, professors do not act like professors, and students do not act like students either. If you come to the university and expect to learn something, you will be sorely disappointed." When I heard this, I was pretty upset since he had basically poured cold water over my plans. Finally, he told me: "Well, why don't you come to my house every Sunday, and I will give you personal instruction for two hours." I could not believe that he was so compassionate towards me. I learned about philosophies at Professor Fang’s small table in his little living room, one on one. This was extremely precious to me. He introduced the philosophies of the West, China, India and finally Buddhism. He taught me that Buddhism is the pinnacle of the world's philosophy and that it provides the greatest enjoyment for humanity. What he told me was fascinating and soon I realized that Buddhism contained something magnificent. I started to visit the temples in Taipei. However, the monks I met in those temples just could not clearly explain Buddhism to an intellectual skeptic like me. However, the monks are much better in teaching Buddhism today. Then I set my first sight on Shan-Dao-Si, which was a large temple in Taipei with a vast collection of sutras. During that period of time, the wide publication and circulation of Buddhist books was very rare. The monks at Shan-Dao-Si were extremely kind to me as they allowed me to borrow many of the precious and rare sutras. This was a great help to me.

Soon after I started to learn Buddhism seriously, I was fortunate to meet Master Zhang-Jia. He was a well-accomplished Esoteric practitioner who taught and guided me in my study and practice. Just like Mr. Fang, he taught me two hours every week for three years until he passed away. I then went to Taizhong to follow Mr. Bing-Nan Lee and started studying and practicing with him.

Buddhism is a special kind of knowledge; it is not a religion. In order to derive true benefit from it, we have to understand it’s true nature. I have the utmost respect for Buddhism and I believe Buddha Shakyamuni to be the foremost educator in the history of the world. He was just like Confucius in that he taught everyone tirelessly and without discrimination.

Of COURSE Buddhism is a religion..It might be lots of other things too. But by any definition its a religion.
    :)