Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tulku Lobsang

Does anyone here know anything about Tulku Lobsang? I am planning to move back to my home town and I found a buddhist-place where they recieve some teachings from him, I did not get to hear more about it when I visited today because the woman who runs the place was not there. I am following Khandro Rinpoche, but either way it would be nice to have some fellow buddhist-friends. From what I gather he does tibetan medicine and astrology?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    The website is a bit of a one-man show..which sets little bells a tinklin'. Proceed with caution I'd say. But that's good advice with any teacher.
  • Citta said:

The website is a bit of a one-man show..which sets little bells a tinklin'. Proceed with caution I'd say. But that's good advice with any teacher.

I have no intention on following him as I have found my teacher, I just want to get to know more buddhists in my hometown and have someone to meditate with every once in a while. But I am not very interested in astrology and tibetan medicine, to me that just become too much. I am more of a meditation and study kind of gal.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Understood.
    Khandro Rinpoche is highly and widely regarded of course. As was her late father the great Mindrolling Rinpoche.
    As to sitting with another group it could no harm to give it a go.
    After all if you find yourself under pressure to 'join' you could always stop going couldn't you ?

_/\_
    JoyfulGirl
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Ive just had alittle browse and came across this; (which i do not agree with straight away)

According to him;

In our life as a human, there is one important thing that we need to do – to fall in love. No matter what kind of person you are or what kind of religion you believe in; we all have only one goal. For sure, we each want to become a happy person. Falling in love is the only way to make yourself happy. Therefore, if you ask me what is the purpose of life, or you ask me why do we do so many things in our lives? My answer is that we do these things to be in love. When you achieve this, then that is it. There is nothing else that you need to do. This is the meaning of life. This is when life makes sense..."

falling in love is the only way to make yourself happy

This is not true at all if you ask me... And immediately i am put of...
    JoyfulGirl
  • I find tulkus fascinating, in particular the whole Dorje Shugden controversy.

I really don't understand it, and I have no set opinion either way but I have a strong interest in tulkus in general.

I always ask myself: what if it were true?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Does anyone here know anything about Tulku Lobsang? I am planning to move back to my home town and I found a buddhist-place where they recieve some teachings from him, I did not get to hear more about it when I visited today because the woman who runs the place was not there. I am following Khandro Rinpoche, but either way it would be nice to have some fellow buddhist-friends. From what I gather he does tibetan medicine and astrology?

Don't make such a big deal of this. Get to know your fellow Buddhists. Listen to their teachers. Keep an open heart.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    zenmyste said:

Ive just had alittle browse and came across this; (which i do not agree with straight away)

According to him;

In our life as a human, there is one important thing that we need to do – to fall in love. No matter what kind of person you are or what kind of religion you believe in; we all have only one goal. For sure, we each want to become a happy person. Falling in love is the only way to make yourself happy. Therefore, if you ask me what is the purpose of life, or you ask me why do we do so many things in our lives? My answer is that we do these things to be in love. When you achieve this, then that is it. There is nothing else that you need to do. This is the meaning of life. This is when life makes sense..."

falling in love is the only way to make yourself happy

This is not true at all if you ask me... And immediately i am put of...

He sounds spot on to me. To quote HHDL:
    From my own limited experience I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion.
    Compassion and the Individual
    JoyfulGirl
  • That makes sense. I also wonder if maybe HH was talking about a different kind of love.

"Falling in love," as mentioned earlier, does sound a lot like the type of attachment that should be avoided.

The high is great while it lasts but in the end only gets us more deeply ensnared in the mess that we are already trapped in.
  • J & J Cultivating Love in Anawashe

Love grows where it is cultivated. Cultivate love everywhere you go…be the love you wish to see in the world, everyday! Love is the force that makes our world turn. To love is to be loved. Love is eternal, we create the love our world needs. This world needs you to embrace your abilities and to courageously move forward in purpose. We reflect back into our lives what we give to others. Please, send love forward any way you can.

It's not always about "romantic love" although in our society we often put that --and only that kind of 'love' -- up as the Golden Ticket to happiness.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    rivercane said:

That makes sense. I also wonder if maybe HH was talking about a different kind of love.

"Falling in love," as mentioned earlier, does sound a lot like the type of attachment that should be avoided.

The high is great while it lasts but in the end only gets us more deeply ensnared in the mess that we are already trapped in.

I get what you are saying, but as I have gotten older I can't help but wonder if those "relationships" have really been love - or something else. When I think of old relationships, that have had an intense emotional aspect to them and burned out - I just think there wasn't much acceptance of the other, for some reason we stopped meeting each other's needs, i.e., we were being self-centered, you meet my needs and I will meet yours.

If we were to talk about Love and Compassion for others, there is an acceptance of the other person's basic humanity - including any so-called "warts," personality differences or anything we label as "defective." Our attachment to having another person meet our self-centered notion of "needs" drops out and the is just an acceptance of the other person - this is what I proffer as Falling in Love.

I guess that is just a long way of agreeing with you! Yes HHDL was talking about a Love not bound up in attachment. To quote from the article again:
    First of all, we must be clear about what we mean by compassion. Many forms of compassionate feeling are mixed with desire and attachment. For instance, the love parents feel of their child is often strongly associated with their own emotional needs, so it is not fully compassionate. Again, in marriage, the love between husband and wife - particularly at the beginning, when each partner still may not know the other's deeper character very well - depends more on attachment than genuine love. Our desire can be so strong that the person to whom we are attached appears to be good, when in fact he or she is very negative. In addition, we have a tendency to exaggerate small positive qualities. Thus when one partner's attitude changes, the other partner is often disappointed and his or her attitude changes too. This is an indication that love has been motivated more by personal need than by genuine care for the other individual.

Of course, developing this kind of compassion is not at all easy! As a start, let us consider the following facts:

Whether people are beautiful and friendly or unattractive and disruptive, ultimately they are human beings, just like oneself. Like oneself, they want happiness and do not want suffering. Furthermore, their right to overcome suffering and be happy is equal to one's own. Now, when you recognize that all beings are equal in both their desire for happiness and their right to obtain it, you automatically feel empathy and closeness for them. Through accustoming your mind to this sense of universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems. Nor is this wish selective; it applies equally to all. As long as they are human beings experiencing pleasure and pain just as you do, there is no logical basis to discriminate between them or to alter your concern for them if they behave negatively.

Let me emphasize that it is within your power, given patience and time, to develop this kind of compassion. Of course, our self-centeredness, our distinctive attachment to the feeling of an independent, self-existent "I," works fundamentally to inhibit our compassion. Indeed, true compassion can be experienced only when this type of self- grasping is eliminated. But this does not mean that we cannot start and make progress now.
    rivercane
  • That is very interesting @Nek777 and yes, I agree with you!, :D esp. regarding acceptance of our romantic partner, warts and all, and how this can lead to acceptance of their basic humanity.

I've found that for me acceptance of this one person has often led to a greater sense of acceptance of other people in general, something that I've often struggled with, but only because I have problems accepting the basic humanity of myself. It has even led to a greater sense of compassion of others.

I also find that when I look back on past intense romantic relationships that I've had it does seem there was much more going on than just attachment - I would say almost a kind of karmic connection to that person, possibly carried over from a previous life.