Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The first time you said "I'm a Buddhist"

Just out of curiosity (and assuming you converted to Buddhism), do you remember the first time you said the words "I'm a Buddhist"? What was the experience like? How did you feel?

Myself, I was at work having a discussion about religion with a coworker. We were both raised Christian and we were discussing how our faith had changed over the years. I thought about how often I meditated and how I try to follow the precepts and I said, "I guess I'm Buddhist." At the time, it felt strange to say and a little blasphemous. It's been years now, but I still haven't told any of the hyperreligious members of my family, despite the fact that I feel a much more real connection to God than I ever felt before I discovered Buddhism.

What were your experiences like?
oceancaldera207

Comments

• Same as you really i was having a discussion with a member of staff who i was working with at the time when u announced i am a Buddhist. Although i am still having to battle with my ego which constantly tells me that it is all a load of childs play and i should man up lol but my heart always returns.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I used to be a Buddhist. Now I am a Buddhist-on-request.
    lobsterriverflow
  • Just recently revealed to my boyfriend that I am. And had a discussion with my 6 year old that I am as well, and what it means to be a Buddhist. They both understand to a point and support me. But now I'm faced with telling my very judgmental family. I know they don't understand what it is to be Buddhist and go upon false information. Regardless of what information I give them, they probably will disregard. I have to accept this I know, but it's not just them. My work associates do not know, but will soon and I know it will change things for me. I believe in the goodness in people and hopefully after the storm blows over, they will understand and support me. Here's to love, compassion and understanding.
    SilouanSabremisterCoperiverflow
  • Shortly after my father's funeral on December 8th, 1989 I declared I was a Buddhist to my sister. I grew up in a completely secular home and had no religious preference or affiliation prior, and knew almost nothing about Buddhism, but my father experienced tremendous suffering before his death and I wanted to know why.

I rejected the only Christianity I was exposed to at the time, deeming it incapable of providing me what I was seeking, but an image of the Buddha was present in my mind and the serene calmness of it was the initial motivating factor to start my spiritual journey there, so the initial feeling was of comfort and peace of mind.

However, I no longer consider myself a Buddhist as I have converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity, but that doesn’t mean I reject Buddhism completely as there are many similar and complimentary ideas that I hold as true.
    riverflow
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I said "I am Buddhist" when after a few years of searing doubt and mixed emotions about my then current path (Paganism) I had a very peaceful resolution / revelation that after 35+ yrs, it was OK to admit it was no longer working for me and a change was in the wind....

Buddhism wasn't exactly foreign to me, I'd been exposed to it and had an interest in it ever since I was a teenager. I'd always incorporated a few Buddhist ways into my pagan path as well....
    I was feeling this nagging need to find a spiritual way of living, without the nonsense of "gods", prayers, rituals, and all the other forms of "magick" and magical thinking.
    And then :: face palm moment!::: Buddhism! Right in front of me the whole time! :D A very easy and smooth transition for me.

As for family and friends- the first time I veered off the common religious path (Catholicism) was the real shocker for my family. Took my parents quite a few years to get it that I was no longer a good catholic girl. Switching to Buddhism 3 and a half decades later was a piece of cake! LOL
    misterCoperiverflowkarmablues
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I don't say I'm a Buddhist because I don't know that I can or should. I don't know that I can call myself a Hindu or Taoist either, because I meld the compatible, complementary and supplementary components and elements of each. Components and elements which I find to be more compatible, complementary and supplementary than many people would think. So, I don't know what I'd say other than Eastern Syncretist or Eastern Fusionist. Or as @lobster said "I may give up on the name calling... ". ;)
    riverflow
  • I have only used the word buddhist whenever someone needed a label for my practice.
    MaryAnneriverflowkarmabluesoceancaldera207
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I guess it was an evolution. I studied Buddhism for a long time before I really felt it was my path. My family knew I was studying it so there were no surprises there. I've never really had a moment where I had to say to someone "I'm a Buddhist." I just am what I am. It comes up in some online discussions in various topics where religion comes up. Even then I rarely say I am Buddhist, but will often say I'm not Christian (as it applies, when people are insisting we all need to follow Christian doctrine).
    I knew for sure Buddhism was for me when I met my teacher. It always felt a bit odd to me to consider myself a Buddhist, but I did take refuge vows with my teacher and since then the label seems to fit better. or rather I feel better about using it to identify myself. My kids have never even really asked what I am, rather they ask what I believe in.
    karmablues
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    lisa213 said:

But now I'm faced with telling my very judgmental family. I know they don't understand what it is to be Buddhist and go upon false information.

I sympathize; it still surprises me how little most people understand about Buddhism. I recently had this conversation:
    "No, no thank you; I don't eat chicken."
    "Why not?"
    "I'm a vegetarian."
    "What? Why?"
    *Thinking of the numerous, lengthy reasons* I decide to go with: "I'm Buddhist."
    "Oh my God! Doesn't that mean you worship the devil!?!?"

I completely agree with @MorningView that you should live as a Buddhist and let the people in your life see the change in you. Unless it comes up in discussion...when it does, I think your best bet is to calmly educate the people who will listen.
    riverflowcvalueDandelionkarmablues
  • I told my parents back in 2011, but I had no difficulties. I've gone from so many different things that I don't think it really surprised them LOL And after coming out as an atheist several years ago (of a very tolerant variety) to them, how could I have any problems telling them I practice Buddhism? I gave my mother a copy of Thich Nhat Hanh's Living Buddha, Living Christ which she really enjoyed a lot. We talk openly about religion and spirituality without pointless arguments, even when we sometimes see things differently.

My parents self-identify as Catholic though they rarely attend mass anymore, but have always had a more open-minded attitude. I owe them so much in my own spiritual journey, even if it has taken me places they would have never expected!

I no longer hide it like a dirty secret in the small town in Arkansas where I live, though I don't advertise it either. Not believing in the existence of God, on the other hand, I keep to myself. People here perceive that as even "scarier" then Buddhism per se-- I've had and overheard some interesting conversations on that topic, so I know to keep my mouth shut.
    karmablues
  • I immediately knew it was right for me the first book I read, because it helped me so much. I can't remember the first time I self labeled as a Buddhist or when I told someone else that I was one.
    oceancaldera207
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    after I took the five precepts and refuge was probably the first time I said "Im a buddhist".

now I don't call myself a buddhist anymore.. if I call myself anything it's a dhammaist.
  • My closest loved ones know that I study Buddhism.

Otherwise, I say, "Aw, thanks, but I'm a Buddhist" when someone insists that I have an alcoholic beverage. That usually brings about a small moment where they respond with something like, "Oh. Okay. Well. So. Can you drink caffeine?"

Well, I'm not a Mormon! Bring on the espresso! :D
    riverflowmisterCope
  • hey, this question really got me thinking.
    thinking back, As a child I never really accepted Christian church or worship (loosely the family religion). I was always suspicious and never accepted anything.
    My affinity for Buddhism started at 14 or so after rummaging through books and finding a a book of chan sayings and has grown ever more since then. So.. i never had to abandon a faith for it.
    I haven't said ' I'm a buddhist' very often..cant remember if i ever have really!
    I don't tell strangers, and those close to me already know, more or less. When interacting about religion with people i dont know very well, i usually just speak in generalities; kindness, love, consciousness, understanding.
    Nowadays, if someone asked me honestly, and this person was close to me, for example a future spouse or close friend or family i'd say;
    I am buddhist, to the bone, till I die, and beyond.
    And you know what.. I'd mean it.

Truthfully, i feel really uncomfortable saying the words, because i feel that the true meaning of buddhism is so much beyond 'religion' . Also I avoid talking about buddhism to unless they have an interest already, because I am allergic to religions and ideologies that force themselves on others.

But if somebody really pushed me on it, or asked me honestly, (or tried to convert me =) ), i'd happily say,

yep, down to the very bone.

*although then i'd probably add that I dont live up to it as well as I should.
    JeffreymisterCope
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited August 2013
    {oh! and * if someone asks me if i believe in god, I never, ever say no. I usually say 'yes, but...'
    I may suggest that god isnt like a person, and it is indeed the fabric of all of us and our perception and consciousness. and that it is very massive and intelligent and meaningful, and not petty. I may add that the meaning of existence is deep and profound.

I say this to people because I think it's helpful to expand people's ideas of spiritual meaning beyond simple personification/punishment imagery, as is usually ingrained in my culture.

Usually people who bring up the topic of god with me, end up feeling better about spirituality in general, without being shaken of their faith or angered or belittled. I feel that it is my duty as a buddhist not to push anything on people, but to bring them comfort, understanding, kindness, support. Support good things.

I also strongly believe that it isn't right to represent buddhism as moral atheism. please note that I do very much respect any disagreements to these statements, and I wont argue. }

JeffreyvinlynriverflowmisterCope
  • In looks like in the West, declaring yourself to be a Buddhist sounds so much like coming out of the closet.
    riverflow
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    @footiam , sometimes it really does seem that way.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

I said "I am Buddhist" when after a few years of searing doubt and mixed emotions about my then current path (Paganism) I had a very peaceful resolution / revelation that after 35+ yrs, it was OK to admit it was no longer working for me and a change was in the wind....

Buddhism wasn't exactly foreign to me, I'd been exposed to it and had an interest in it ever since I was a teenager. I'd always incorporated a few Buddhist ways into my pagan path as well....
    I was feeling this nagging need to find a spiritual way of living, without the nonsense of "gods", prayers, rituals, and all the other forms of "magick" and magical thinking.
    And then :: face palm moment!::: Buddhism! Right in front of me the whole time! :D A very easy and smooth transition for me.

As for family and friends- the first time I veered off the common religious path (Catholicism) was the real shocker for my family. Took my parents quite a few years to get it that I was no longer a good catholic girl. Switching to Buddhism 3 and a half decades later was a piece of cake! LOL

Everyone has a doppelganger and you're mine :) That is almost a mirror image to my life, Pagan path and all. So I can say this with all honesty about @MaryAnne's post:

What she said.

In metta,
    Raven

• MaryAnne said:

Everyone has a doppelganger and you're mine :) That is almost a mirror image to my life, Pagan path and all. So I can say this with all honesty about @MaryAnne's post:

What she said.

In metta,
    Raven

LOL! Yo Sistah! ;)

misterCopeKundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I can't remember exactly what I was reading but it was more of a question/realization type thing.

"I'm a Buddhist?!?"
    misterCopeMaryAnneKundoArthurbodhi
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    When I realized that I was agreed with the four fundamental discoveries the Buddha made under the Bodhi tree.