Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is suicide?

JohnGJohnG Veteran
edited August 2013 in Buddhism Basics
What if suicide 'is' part of our karma in this life? How can it hurt in the next? How can one persuade one out of committing suicide, if all hope 'is' gone?

As a cop, I've been witness to this, but yet have not met anyone with these reasons, so what do I do? :om:

Comments

• I do not think suicide should be 'illegal'. I believe in assisted suicide in the matter of terminal illnesses and or extreme aged-ness.

As for religious beliefs, aka; 'suicide = sin' or 'suicide = bad karma', etc... to each his own. But to make actual laws against it? Nonsense. We are the masters of our own lives. As long as there's no harm to others, there should be no 'laws'.
    As a cop, you are in a very precarious position of doing what (you may or may not believe) is 'right' -- or doing what is required by law. I don't envy that position...
    vinlynriverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think the main reason it is illegal is to be able to force someone who may not be in a clear state of mind, into some sort of evaluation and treatment. If there are no laws about it, then there is no way police could take, say, a bridge jumper into custody under a mental health hold and have them evalulated. Same with parents who have concerns for their children. The laws we do have regarding people who have mental health issues are already woefully inadequate. So, while I agree in essence with what you are saying, the law is not there to punish a suicidal person. Not in the US anyhow. I've never known a single case of attempted or threatened suicide where the person was criminally arrested and charged. It has always been used (in my experience) ONLY as a way to take them into custody to get them into a hospital for evaluation and help.

As for whether or how you can talk someone out of it, I guess it depends on what their reasons are to being with. If they are suffering from late stage cancer or ALS or whatever, that's a much different situation than a teen or college student who simply due to lacking experience and maturity doesn't realize their current situation won't last forever. To a kid/teen/young adult, a bad situation can feel like forever and it's their lack of ability to know how to adequately talk about and deal with it that leads them to suicide. (often, not always of course).
    Jeffreyperson
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Just my two cents:

Sooner or later, everyone joins the majority. So for starters, it strikes me as reasonable to say that death is far less unusual than the excitement that can be brought to it. Buddhist excitement, Christian excitement, emotional excitement, intellectual excitement ... whatever the format of the excitement, still, everyone joins the majority sooner or later and to date, no one I know of has returned to complain about it.

@JohnG -- I don't quite get your question. Are you asking whether suicide itself might be a piece of someone's karmic puzzle and therefore speaking out against suicide is unwarranted?

For myself, I do not think that talking someone into or out of something is a good or even a very realistic idea. And bringing Buddhist or Christian or any other philosophical nostrums to bear ... I'm not sure but what that would be off-topic.

If someone expresses a desire to commit suicide, wouldn't that be a good time to listen and talk to them about their thoughts or emotions and never mind laying on a particular set of values or world view or spiritual framework? All the pontificating in the world -- "oh, it's a cry for help" or "this really leads to sucky karma" or "life is sacred" or "you're out of your fucking mind" -- is not the point, is it? The point is the person who expresses him- or herself. No one -- not even the person contemplating suicide -- can say whether suicide is a good idea. Like the rest of life, it's a crap shoot.

Sorry if this is not relevant to the OP. It's just some thoughts.
    riverflow
  • Suicide turns you away from enduring and forbearance in life and facing whatever your experience is. So from the perspective of karma the next life you may (or may not) close off more so from difficult things in the future. You can make good karma by facing the worst the universe can bring (relatively to yourself).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Jeffrey, I'm not clear on why you think, "You can make good karma by facing the worst the universe can bring." I'm not saying you're wrong, but where does this idea come from?

And in terms of suicide, you say, "So from the perspective of karma the next life you may (or may not)..." So in other words, suicide has no real effect on karma?

Just wonder if you would clarify your thoughts.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    vinlyn said:

@Jeffrey, I'm not clear on why you think, "You can make good karma by facing the worst the universe can bring." I'm not saying you're wrong, but where does this idea come from?

I don't have a source, but the idea is that if you learn to deal with any state of mind that develops tremendous stability, courage, and so forth. You could even learn to use metta to help. So the obstacle can cause you to rally and rise to the occasion. All of us almost pass away in a terrible situation and we just have to face it with whatever practice we know about as our death practice. I'm not sure tremendous pain is meaningful, but not giving up no matter what is an ingredient to the bodhisattva path. I think it is meaningul on the basic Buddhism because we need strong restraint and courage, that's again I mentioned courage.
    vinlyn said:

And in terms of suicide, you say, "So from the perspective of karma the next life you may (or may not)..." So in other words, suicide has no real effect on karma?

Just wonder if you would clarify your thoughts.

Karma will ripen in the moment because death and suicide are hard. Suicide is probably more difficult than many deaths. We will experience the karma as a tendency to fear death, fear difficulties/pain.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What is suicide?

Wrong.

On so many levels.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    It's easy to talk about laws, karma, or other external points of view. But the thing that matters most is the suicidal person's own inner world. That's what it revolves around, and that is impossible to judge. You can do all persuading in the world, but it is up to them to change their perspectives or not. Of course we can support them in this, but in the end it has to come from them. Desperately trying to prevent someone from hurting themselves and they end up doing it anyway, can also hurt yourself if you are not careful.

I think from an outside perspective it's best to learn to accept that some people choose to end their lives.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    JohnG said:

How can one persuade one out of committing suicide, if all hope 'is' gone?

I doubt I have the skills to persuade someone not to commit suicide - it all seems too simple in my view - numbers go up really really big... like Graham's number... it is mind bogglingly huge... at an absolute maximum I guess we live to say 150... even 100 is pretty amazing... not a big number in comparison - very brief...
    I think probably if I were faced with it, I would hope there would be some organised response available by trained healthcare professionals - I suppose first the person would have to be stable enough to understand their illogical action / choice and then willing to face up to the underlying issues - if they are not, then what can anyone do?
    A terrible thing for those left behind.
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sabre said:

It's easy to talk about laws, karma, or other external points of view. But the thing that matters most is the suicidal person's own inner world.

Not so.
    if they've committed suicide, their 'inner world' is irrelevant.
    That which matters most, is the bewildered, hurt, lost emotionally bereft people they've left behind.
    I think from an outside perspective it's best to learn to accept that some people choose to end their lives.
    Sadly, some of those 'left behind' never come to terms with the suicide of someone they would gladly have given their lives for, had they but known.

riverflow
  • I think you have a right to suicide. Sure it affects others but you are the one enduring your own pain. I told a neighbor once that I was depressed and he relayed a story about someone whose family were devastated by their suicide. I didn't think it was an uplifting guilt trip (hyperbole for effect). I told my therapist and he agreed with me. Thus I think my neighbor was compassionate but unskillful. Curiosity has always prevented me from committing suicide. What will happen tomorrow? And tomorrow and tomorrow. I want to listen to my crazy laugh as the time goes by.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    federica said:

Sabre said:

It's easy to talk about laws, karma, or other external points of view. But the thing that matters most is the suicidal person's own inner world.

Not so.
    if they've committed suicide, their 'inner world' is irrelevant.
    That which matters most, is the bewildered, hurt, lost emotionally bereft people they've left behind.
    Sadly, some of those 'left behind' never come to terms with the suicide of someone they would gladly have given their lives for, had they but known.

And that's why I think it's best to learn to accept, however hard it may be. I don't have that experience up close personally, but I don't think it is outside of everybody's possibilities to accept such things. I've seen people accept worse things and being able to accept it and leave it behind.

And then still the inner perspective matters, because reflecting upon that can make people rethink things. I think many people get stuck because they want to understand instead of accept. Then perhaps we just have to accept that we can't understand, because it was not us in that position. So we can accept their decision without the need to understand it.

In case this touches upon something personal, I'm sorry. I don't want to make it sound like it's all easy or people should just change or anything. What I try to sketch is a point of view I think we as Buddhist should practice towards. Sort of like an ideal. But one I think is possible.
    JeffreymfranzdorfMaryAnneriverflow
    @federica -- And if they had given their lives, how are we to view the people THEY left behind?

I think people are more and less responsible in their lives. But, whether more responsible or less, the responsibility is theirs.
    MaryAnne
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "What is suicide?"

Self absorption.
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited August 2013

"What is suicide?"

Self absorption.

yes...and so is nirvana

edit...oh never mind...there are different interpretations that are really quite funny and ridiculous
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

continued on the link
    I have known a lot of people who have wanted to kill themselves, so I have some small idea of what you might be feeling. I know that you might not be up to reading a long book, so I am going to keep this short. While we are together here for the next five minutes, I have five simple, practical things I would like to share with you. I won't argue with you about whether you should kill yourself. But I assume that if you are thinking about it, you feel pretty bad.

Well, you're still reading, and that's very good. I'd like to ask you to stay with me for the rest of this page. I hope it means that you're at least a tiny bit unsure, somewhere deep inside, about whether or not you really will end your life. Often people feel that, even in the deepest darkness of despair. Being unsure about dying is okay and normal. The fact that you are still alive at this minute means you are still a little bit unsure. It means that even while you want to die, at the same time some part of you still wants to live. So let's hang on to that, and keep going for a few more minutes.
    When I was in high school, 3 classmates (in a very small school, avg. graduating class around 40-50 students) killed themselves. One of the brothers of the suiciders died in a drug overdose this year. I've known personally at least 5 people who purposefully killed themselves. Several more who probably didn't do it with death as a focus but knew it was a risk and took it anyhow.

Where do we draw the line? My ex, as far as we know, did not actively kill himself. However, he knew a lot about the mixing of alcohol with prescription drugs, and he chose to do it anyhow. Was he trying to die? Probably not. But he didn't care much that he might die. In reality, he left behind 2 children who miss and love their dad a lot, but whose lives are honestly better without him in it. Harsh, yes. But true, at least as far as can see from where I am.

Not everyone who kills themselves truly wants to die, though. How far our responsibility goes just depends. If someone is truly determined to die, they will. Others just want someone to listen, to care, to give them a reason to live. I know people who have thought intensely about, or attempted suicide and lived, and they are forever grateful for the intervention.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you all for the input. It's that as a cop and paramedic I have investigated and seen many people who made an unsuccessful attempt to get an attention; yes many I have seen did so as a cry for those around them to stop their madness. And I have investigated those who made an attempt and accidentally succeeded. But, from the prospective of what is Suicide? What pain is so hurtful, that they choose to end their life? In both Christian and Buddhism the result is even more painful (a repeat of their present condition, or damnation) but still see this as a better way then this life. Or is suicide planned into ones life? The Samurai choose suicide then dishonor, but yet Buddhism say's suicide is dishonor?

Just perplexed.
    Thank you for a thoughtful post, Zenff.
  • "What is suicide?"
    Self absorption.

The victim may not want to be a burden to his/her family and choose suicide as a way out. He/she may actually not be acting out of selfish reasons at all. For example a soldier who throw himself on a grenade to protect his mates. Is that self absorption?
    riverflowMaryAnneSabre
    I don't know that you could consider someone who puts themselves in the line of fire to protect others as a suicide. I suppose technically it might be.

I've known several people who killed themselves. Not in one single case do they blame the person who died. They blame themselves. When your child kills themselves, as a parent you blame yourself, whether the kid is 12, 18 or 30. I'm sure there are people who blame the person who died, but most often it's quite the other way around. It's far more a burden to those left behind to be left with unanswerable questions, guilt and doubt than for them to be burdened with conversations about suicide.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2013
    No doubt there may be more pain for those who lived in the aftermath of a suicide. But that is not how a person contemplating suicide thinks. It is a act of courage.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/05/22/why-suicide-has-become-and-epidemic-and-what-we-can-do-to-help.html
    Jeffreykayte
    I would say it takes courage (of sorts), but I would not say it is an act of courage.
  • jlljll Veteran
    You contemplate suicide when your suffering seems
    insurmountable eg clinical depression.
    But you still have to make the final decision.
    Even if you have the barrel of a gun in your mouth, you can still choose
    not to pull the trigger.
    I dont believe that it is someone's karma to commit suicide.
    It is a choice, a very tough choice.

JohnG said:

What if suicide 'is' part of our karma in this life? How can it hurt in the next? How can one persuade one out of committing suicide, if all hope 'is' gone?

As a cop, I've been witness to this, but yet have not met anyone with these reasons, so what do I do? :om:

Jeffrey
    It's a stupid choice.
    it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    A person committing suicide has to have an element of bravery. But it's entirely selfish.
    They have no thought for anyone else but their own dilemma.

And the vast majority of 'dilemmas' do have alternative choices.
    If there were no other options, The Samaritans and other helplines or avenues of counsel, would never even be necessary, or exist, even.
    I had a friend who chose suicide because he was in severe pain with incurable cancer. Sorry, that's not a "temporary problem". That is not an uncommon situation, and it is what the Oregon assisted suicide law is really about.
    MaryAnneYaskankayte
  • Suicide is a sign of weakness that occurs when a person gives into dispair. It's not entirely stupid, and it is not right or wrong. It is also not permanent. It's just a misguided decision made by people who can't endure the state that they are in anymore. People who commit suicide are not crazy. They're only blind to the fact that giving into suffering only allows more despair to be present in your next life. A Buddha would never commit suicide, because they know true strength is displayed when you can endure.
    You will note that in my post, I made the allowance for such situations, by not being 'all-inclusive'. I did say "vast majority". I didn't say every situation.
    I was well aware someone would jump in with the 'terminal illness' clause.

• In most cases, I think suicide should be seen as an unskillful act. In the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, the Buddha declared the second noble truth and identified craving as the source of suffering. This craving is of three types, craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming/existence and craving for non-becoming/non-existence.
    "And this, monks is the noble truth of the origination of dukkha: the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — [that is] craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming [existence], craving for non-becoming [non-existence]."
    Craving for non-existence includes craving for death/annihilation. In most suicide cases, this craving for annihilation arises from an aversion to pain and suffering. It is also usually accompanied by the annihilist delusion that the destruction of one's body will put an end to suffering. However, what happens is that the person who has not yet uprooted the causes for craving will be reborn again and any unexhausted kamma will eventually bear fruit.

The following Dhammapada verse expresses the fact that if the roots of craving remain, then death is no true escape from suffering:
    If its root remains
    undamaged & strong,
    a tree, even if cut,
    will grow back.

So too if latent craving
    is not rooted out,
    this suffering returns
    again & again.
    As for the correct attitude towards life and death, the Pali Canon advises against both clinging to life and clinging to death, as expressed in the Theragatha as follows
    I don't delight in death,
    don't delight in living.
    I await my time
    like a [servant] his wage.
    I don't delight in death,
    don't delight in living.
    I await my time
    mindful, alert.
    However, sacrificing one's life as an act of compassion seems to be condoned in Buddhist literature. In the Jataka and other scriptures about the Buddha's past lives, there are many stories about how the Buddha in his previous lives gave up his life in order to save others. For example, there is the famous story how he once saw that a tigress was lurking to kill and eat her own cubs out of hunger. Moved by compassion he sacrificed his life and offered his body as food for the tigress in order to save the cubs. In fact, the Pali Canon says that in order for a Bodhisattva to become a Buddha, he must make the five great sacrifices (mahapariccaga) which are his wife, children, kingdom, life, and limb. In the Mahayana tradition, there is also a story about a monk who sacrificed his life in order to uphold the precepts and this act was praised by the Buddha.

Therefore, it could be said that ending one's life due to aversion to pain and suffering is unskillful whereas sacrificing one's life for noble purposes such as compassion can be commendable.
    Omar067JeffreySilouan

• As far as I'm concerned... someone else's suicide is nobody's business but their own.

Sitting in moral judgment after the fact doesn't do a darn thing to help that person, nor help the next person who decides to do it. I try to have a true compassion for people in that much physical and/or mental pain... not judgment.

One (I hate-to-use-the-word) 'good' thing about suicide is at least the person who was in intense unbearable pain and suffering took their own lives, and not the lives of others (who may have even been the cause of their pain and suffering).
    If there IS such as thing as Karma, it will be what it will be.

I'm not saying I would do - or should do - nothing to help a person who was reaching out before trying suicide. I'm a big believer in therapy and counseling, for sure.
    But seriously, all this condemnation and talk about cowardice, selfishness, sin and Karma... well, how does that help? How does that help someone who might have that kind of pain inside them right now... maybe even reading this thread?
    YaskanJeffreyriverflowkayte
  • MaryAnne said:

As far as I'm concerned... someone else's suicide is nobody's business but their own.

Sitting in moral judgment after the fact doesn't do a darn thing to help that person, nor help the next person who decides to do it. I try to have a true compassion for people in that much physical and/or mental pain... not judgment.

One (I hate-to-use-the-word) 'good' thing about suicide is at least the person who was in intense unbearable pain and suffering took their own lives, and not the lives of others (who may have even been the cause of their pain and suffering).
    If there IS such as thing as Karma, it will be what it will be.

I'm not saying I would do - or should do - nothing to help a person who was reaching out before trying suicide. I'm a big believer in therapy and counseling, for sure.
    But seriously, all this condemnation and talk about cowardice, selfishness, sin and Karma... well, how does that help? How does that help someone who might have that kind of pain inside them right now... maybe even reading this thread?

Amen.

Why is it so bad to end one's own life? In ancient Rome it was accepted practice. The taboo of suicide seems to have arrived with Christianity, yet another example of religious dogma taking ultimate control of one's life away from the individual.

Apart from which, labeling suicides as "stupid", "cowardly" or "weak" displays a patent lack of compassion.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • The behaviors leading to and culminating in suicide are unskillful because they do not give rise to the end of suffering. Suicide instead gives rise to further suffering not only in the body of the person committing the act but also suffering for the people who loved and cared for that person.
    federicaJeffreySilouan
    poptart said:

Amen.

Why is it so bad to end one's own life? In ancient Rome it was accepted practice. The taboo of suicide seems to have arrived with Christianity, yet another example of religious dogma taking ultimate control of one's life away from the individual.

Apart from which, labeling suicides as "stupid", "cowardly" or "weak" displays a patent lack of compassion.

And what is wrong with a religion -- any religion -- having a belief? If you agree with it, fine. If you don't, that's fine, too.

The behaviors leading to and culminating in suicide are unskillful because they do not give rise to the end of suffering.
    @Talisman -- And you know this how?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I came precariously close to killing myself one sunny day in the Spring of 1992 [...]

I put a bunch of rope in the trunk of my car and drove out to the Gorge Metro Park, just down the street from where I lived. My plan was to carry that rope out as far away from people as I could, find a sturdy tree and do the deed. But when I stepped out of my car I saw some kids playing in the field right near the parking lot. I realized I could never find a spot far enough off the path where there wasn’t some chance a little kid out for a hike, or a young couple looking for a make-out spot, or an old man with a picnic basket and a picture of his late wife might find me. Then I thought about my mom and how bummed out she’d be if I killed myself. And I thought about my friend “Iggy” Morningstar who’d killed himself about ten years earlier and how I was still not over that. I put the rope back in the trunk and went home.

That day changed me forever. I decided to live. But I also decided I was no longer bound to anything that came before that day. I decided that conceptually I had already killed myself. Now I could do anything, absolutely anything at all.

All the greatest things that have happened to me in my life have happened since that day. Things have been so incredible since then that I sometimes wonder if I’m the main character in some weird existentialist movie and that there’ll be a twist ending in which the audience will realize that I really did kill myself that day.

If you’re contemplating suicide, my advise is go ahead and kill yourself. But don’t do it with a rope or a gun or a knife or a handful of pills. Don’t do it by destroying your body. Do it by cutting off your former life and going in a completely new direction. I know that’s not easy. I know it might even seem impossible. If you’d have asked me before that Spring day in 1992 I would have told you it was absolutely impossible for me to do any of the things I’ve done since that day. At first it seemed like I was right, that it was futile to even try to get out of the morass I was in. It took more than a year of very hard effort before things started to change even a little bit. But when they did, they really changed.
    -- Brad Warner
    MaryAnneriverflowpegembara
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited August 2013
    MaryAnne said:

As far as I'm concerned... someone else's suicide is nobody's business but their own.

The OP specifically poses the following questions: "What if suicide 'is' part of our karma in this life? How can it hurt in the next?"

So how are we suppose to address those points in the OP without mentioning the issue of karma?

Also, the fact that suicide will lead to further suffering as a karmic consequence makes me feel more compassionate towards those who commit suicide because it means that not only were they suffering in the present but they also planted the seeds for future suffering. That's more suffering they will have to endure than if the act of suicide was karmically neutral, so the more reason to feel compassion for these people.
  • @genkaku

I know from personal experience.
  • I was seriously thinking about suicide maybe 15 years ago. Belle and Sebastian's (music) song 'Fox in the Snow' was very uplifting for me and I eventually went in an upward spiral.

Fox in the snow, where do you go
    To find something you could eat?
    Cause the word out on the street is you are starving
    Don't let yourself grow hungry now
    Don't let yourself grow cold
    Fox in the snow

Girl in the snow, where do you go
    To find someone who will do?
    To tell someone all the truth before it kills you
    They listen to your crazy laugh
    Before you hang a right
    And disappear from sight
    What do they know anyway?
    You'll read it in a book
    What do they know anyway?
    You'll read it in a book tonight

Boy on the bike, what are you like
    As you cycle round the town?
    You're going up, you're going down
    You're going nowhere
    It's not as if they're paying you
    It's not as if it's fun
    At least not anymore
    When your legs are black and blue
    It's time to take a break
    When your legs are black and blue
    It's time to take a holiday

Kid in the snow, way to go
    It only happens once a year
    It only happens once a lifetime
    Make the most of it
    Second just to being born
    Second to dying too
    What else would you do?
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you all once again, these all call for deeper thought. :D
  • JohnG said:

Not sure if suicide is part of karma. Karma however is not just a past action that could determine a present outcome. Karma can be 'fresh action' that determine a future outcome. When suicide is but a fresh action, it may hurt a future, I suppose. But presuming that a human has a brain, one would be able not to resort to suicide for that is not a solution to a problem but an escape from a problem. When one mind's is clouded, one probably could not be persuaded from not going through suicide. Consequently, one would have to reap what one sow, like it or not.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    The idea that you will only continue suffering after suicide can be an unpleasant one. I think of suicide more or less everynight,
  • I don't think assisted suicide should be legal even for the terminally ill or extremely aged, because it isn't an answer to human suffering. To contemplate such things as a solution means to me we are failing as a society to care for the dying and aged by not helping them complete the cycle of life with dignity, and realistically assisted suicide is not limited to just the two types of experiences mentioned, but includes those who are experiencing depression and despair from a variety of conditions that are temporary, and others not so much like certain handicaps and mental illnesses, so as a part of society it is very much my business.

A television program called Ariel America highlighted California and had a piece on the Golden Gate. A sad fact of the structure was that is the most used bridge for suicides. It’s a four second fall to impact, but there have been some survivors and it was reported that every one of them said they regretted what they did the moment they jumped.

I read a wonderful book by Sogyal Rinpoche called, "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying” that seems to be a sane and compassionate approach to dying in contrast to the culture of death that our society is fostering. The essence of the book wasn’t particularly religious either.
    A lot of suicide attempts have left the person to wish they hadn't tried. I don't think you can compare that to assisted suicide. I guess for me, it has to be in the hands of the person. Right now I like to believe I could suffer through anything and die a normal (ie unassisted) death. But really, there are a lot of deaths that are a step away from assisted suicide. Is doping a person up with drugs so they don't feel anything for weeks or even months at a time really better because they die "naturally" than euthanasia? Because I don't struggle with long term illness that results in my unable to care for myself or even think normally I don't think i can say what I would do if I were faced with it. I agree that our culture handles death very poorly and that we could do far better. But I'm not sure I can say that no person will terminal, longterm illness that results in months or years of constant and struggle and burden to their family that prevents them from moving on should be able to make the choice to end their life. I really don't know, I guess. Of course I don't like to see anyone in my family as a burden, but it can be hard to find the joy in some situations.

A close friend of mine, her husband is in his mid 50s. 2 years ago he had a stroke. After many months of rehab he was getting along pretty well, then he stumbled and fell and broke his hip. While in the hospital for that he had to have his gall bladder removed and developed diabetic ulcers on his foot. Then he got ill and went back to the hospital. He was in the hospital for 2 more months and was sent home the other day because medicare won't pay for him to stay anymore. He has limited home health care but he cannot do anything himself. He cannot move himself and every time he falls out of bed, his family has to call 911 to get him back in. He cannot use the restroom and consistently messes the bed. He cannot shower or bathe himself. He cannot interact with his 12 year old daughter and he refuses to allow her to see him in that state. He suffers extreme depression at his deterioration despite counseling and social workers and he just wants to go. But he can't. His wife is young, and his child is young and while they are doing the best to care for him, they cannot provide for all his needs. She cannot work so she does not have her own benefits. The daughter cannot have friends over or have a normal life. It's a very sad situation for them all. They don't have the coverage or the money to allow for full time in-home care, and they cannot afford assisted living. So they are stuck in a situation where they have to care for a man who needs around the clock care while at the same time not cooperating because he would rather not be alive when he cannot do any of the things he enjoys and he cannot participate in his marriage or the child raising of their daughter. His state is unlikely to improve at all and more likely he will continue to fail until he does pass away, after a whole lot of suffering. His wife is left caring for a man that is less than a shell of who he was, with no physical control over his body. She is on the edge of a mental breakdown all the time and the daughter is left with no functional parents as a result at an age that is already very difficult for her. So, what to do? Personally I guess I feel if he does not want to remain alive in that state, he should be able to legally choose not to. What karma comes of that, perhaps he is more than willing to take on. I think I would be in that state, but like I said it's hard to know unless you are there. Ideally, they would have extended family to help them, a community that comes together to help them. But how many people would be willing to go to their neighbors house to clean up a bed full of poop? She actually lives with family and even their help is very, very minimal.

We don't have the resources in the US anyhow to deal with this situation and it plays out over and over again in many families. The system itself does not handle these things well at all. If you do not have lots of money, once insurance won't pay for hospital anymore you are kind of on your own. You can expect about $4000 a month to stay in assisted living places. You can stay in a nursing home where the care is often horrible, and when you die they'll take everything you own to pay off your bill. There just aren't solutions right now, as much as we might want them to be there.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    pegembara said:

"What is suicide?"
    Self absorption.

The victim may not want to be a burden to his/her family and choose suicide as a way out. He/she may actually not be acting out of selfish reasons at all. For example a soldier who throw himself on a grenade to protect his mates. Is that self absorption?
    Psychologically at it's heart its an egotistical act. Kamikaze pilots, suicide bombers and guys who throw themselves on grenades are indeed a different sort of suicide but the willingness to destroy oneself for some sort of greater cause is tied into your sense of self , that of worthlessness. It is still tied to egoism. Someone who's mental view of themselves of their "I" when this does not comport with reality, is too much for some to handle. When one buys too heavily into an idea of who they are and this changes, be it sickness, financial or social issues, suicide may results. To me it gets down to wrong view, to believe one is either their form, their feelings, their mental formations, perceptions or their consciousness. If you buy into this wrong view, suicide is possible.
    I am not trying to dismiss the gravity that suicide entails or how desperate some may become. I see it daily in the emergency room but I still feel it's root lies in wrong view, as opposed to right view-dukkha, annata, annica.

• Most of the discussion focuses of the idea of active pursuit of suicide..."actively suicidal". However there is also the idea thought as "passive suicide"...which is an interesting discussion for folks that are terminal ill or are elderly and near death.

The passive suicide discussion often centers around the idea of "who has the right and under what conditions does a person has the ability to say...no more life saving interventions. Imho with the advent of modern medical intervention has expanded the definition of death to....clinical dead, brain dead, organ death, comatose and on and on. Along with it is well known that the certain medical interventions will definitely save a person or will delay/defer/deny death til some point in the future.

As the population get older, medical interventions improve though perhaps more costly and as folks become more informed of the discussion....it becomes more interesting.

I fantasize and have told my kids...leave me at home...DO NOT call the ambulance...merely shut the door and come back in a week or two and if I'm stinkin then you have me hauled out in a body bag. I want to die in peace...not in a hospital with abunch of chaos and tubes...I've worked in hosipatals a good part of my life, have consulted with treatment teams when a person has made it known that they do not want any further medical intervention. I have no desire to die there...besides a lot of people die in hospitals...its not a safe place.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Again, thank you for the input. But, we have covered the medical and the terminal, as well as the warrior; also the ideas of the people who are left behind. But, can we say that suicide is the mere meaning of self destruction? Can we categorize it? Can we say that it can be a release? A method of revenge? Or just a method to move on?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    JohnG said:

But, can we say that suicide is the mere meaning of self destruction? Can we categorize it? Can we say that it can be a release? A method of revenge? Or just a method to move on?

That's exactly how Brad Warner described it in the excerpt from his blog I posted a few posts up - a destruction of your "self." Not your physical self, mind.

In this way, it can be seen as a release and a method of moving on.
This discussion has been closed.