Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Deva Marici Sutra

Nek777Nek777 Explorer
edited August 2013 in Arts & Writings
Hello All,

I was recently reading the Marici Sutra and in the few translations I find online I come this section:
That time, Buddha then said the mantra that sound:
“Dan zhi ta. An jia mo si. Mo jia mo si
Zhi po luo mo si. Mo he zhi po luo mo si
An duo li ta nuo mo sha he.”

I have been googling looking for translations of the bolded but I have hit a wall. It looks like pinyin to me but, nothing converts it. Is this Tibetan? I do get some words hitting in the Tibetan to English online dictionary but also a lot of "unknowns."

Thought I would ask to see if anybody has some familiarity with the above. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2013
    It does look like pinyin. If some words do translate in the Tibetan dictionary (do they make sense? Do they fit?), maybe others don't because you don't know which syllables combine to form words. But Tibetan has sounds that Chinese doesn't have (like: ng, and kh), and I'm not seeing those here.
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Yes, its in pinyin, mandarin.
    Some of the time, its a direct translation of the original sanskrit pronunciation.

Haven't a clue..
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I notice that you asked the same question on www.vajracakra.com and have received no answers.
    Which given that that forum has some of the most experienced western Vajrayana practitioners among its members suggests to me that it is not from the Vajrayana tradition.

_/\_
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well an interesting development on Vajracakra.com.
    It seems that it is pinyin, and is a mantra associated with a particular Chinese school that is a synthesis between Tantrayana and Taoism.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Pretty cool. Yeah... That guy had a good idea with finding the Japanese version, as I can muddle through Japanese. However, I haven't been able to find a Japanese copy - though haven't had time to look too much.

It's mostly a curiosity regarding those specific lines - though I would like to dig deeper about Marici.

Thanks for he help everyone.

Om Mari Tse Mam Soha!
  • Nek777 said:

Pretty cool. Yeah... That guy had a good idea with finding the Japanese version, as I can muddle through Japanese. However, I haven't been able to find a Japanese copy - though haven't had time to look too much.

It's mostly a curiosity regarding those specific lines - though I would like to dig deeper about Marici.

Thanks for he help everyone.

Om Mari Tse Mam Soha!

Could you link us up to the net translation of this that has the mantra? I only found the scribd one...

• Sorry, been absent for a bit... I'll dig around in my bookmarks ...
  • Deva Marici Sutra

I couldn't find a bookmark, I believe this is the web page I used. It was similar to other translations I have found... It's the same as the scribd file
  • Hi I happen to see this thread and i registered an account to leave comment...
    The link provided above has some mistake. I'm Chinese, I'm a Marici believer and I do read his/her sutra in Chinese.
    There are several versions of Marici Sutra, the easiest and shortest one is below. I will write it in pinyin, and I'll try to write another version that the pronunciation is easier for native English speaker to pronunce.
  • Pinyin version
    "Duo zhi ta, e jia mo si mo jia mo si, zhi po luo mo si, zhi po luo mo si, mo he zhi po luo mo si, an tuo li tuo na mo si. (The above is sanskrit pronunciation transfer into Chinese pronunciation that it doesn't have meaning in Chinese but only sound) Yu xing lu zhong hu wo(protect me when I'm on my way), fei xing lu zhong hu wo(protect me when I lost my way), zhou ri zhong hu wo ye zhong hu wo(protect me under the sun, protect me at night), yu yuan jia zhong hu wo (protect me against my enemies),yu wang nan zhong hu wo(protect me when the King incriminate me), yu zei nan zhong hu wo(protect me from thievery), yu shui nan zhong hu wo(protect me from water disaster), yu huo nan zhong hu wo(protect me from fire disaster) ,yu yi bing zhong hu wo(protect me from disease), yu a jiu li a jiu li wu li zhi di, ji li ji li an di an di( sanskrit pronunciation) yu yi qie chu yi qie shi (Anywhere, Anytime) hu wo di zi (protect me student) ---(insert your name as the "student" name), suo po he(sanskrit pronunciation, means successful, achieved)
  • Easy pronunciation version( meaning same as above), pronounce it confidently using English pronunciation habit.

Dwo tchu ta, er gia mo si, mo gia mo si, tchu po lwo mo si, tchu po lwo mo si, mo her tchu po lwo mo si, arn twuo li twuo na mo si

Yui shee-ing lu chong who wo, fay shee-ing lu chong who wo, chow re chong who wo ye chong who wo, yui yu-arn gia chong who wo, yui warn narn chong who wo,yui zei narn chong who wo, yui shu-ei narn chong who wo, yui hwo narn chong who wo, yu yi bing chong who wo, yu ar jyu li ar jyu li wu li tchu di, gee li gee li arn di arn di yui yi tche tchu yi tche shee, who wo di tsu ---(your name) , swo po her.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    From scribd.com,

Protect me while I’m walking, protect me while I’m not walking,
    protect me during daylight, protect me during night time,protect me in the enemies house, protect me in the middle of dangerprotect me from robbery misfortune, everywhere,
    every time protect me, student , svaha.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97091626/Deva-Marici-Sutra

What really protects one is virtue. Truth is not external

Metta-bhavana and the inclusive four brahma viharas are excellent protections.
    Keeping the precepts (lesser and greater) is protection

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn46/sn46.054x.wlsh.html

A more contemporary elucidation one can find at
    http://www.mettainstitute.org/mettameditation.html

Be well and cultivate strong and beautiful mind! :)
    lobster
  • sova said:

From scribd.com,

Protect me while I’m walking, protect me while I’m not walking,
    protect me during daylight, protect me during night time,protect me in the enemies house, protect me in the middle of dangerprotect me from robbery misfortune, everywhere,
    every time protect me, student , svaha.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97091626/Deva-Marici-Sutra

What really protects one is virtue. Truth is not external

Metta-bhavana and the inclusive four brahma viharas are excellent protections.
    Keeping the precepts (lesser and greater) is protection

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn46/sn46.054x.wlsh.html

A more contemporary elucidation one can find at
    http://www.mettainstitute.org/mettameditation.html

Be well and cultivate strong and beautiful mind! :)

Thank you for your comment! I personally practice sutra more than meditation, mostly because of my body condition. I happen to see this thread and i find that the "marici sutra" that is quoted is not 100% correct. It has some missing sentence, e.g. The "zhi po luo mo si" should be repeated twice, and lines are missing in the "protect me from ..." part.

Sutra is a way of Dharma. Buddha told us many many ways of practice, sutra is one of them, meditation is another one of them. The real protector is Buddha, Dharma and Sangga.
    lobstersova
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Thanks Ziparti!