Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Mantras and Chants - curious about which are off limits to non-empowered

I'm just curious, for the purpose of learning, which of these are off limits to someone who has not received empowerment? And for any that are not off limits, would they (any one mantra, not all at once) be recited on a mala? http://www.visiblemantra.org/mantra.html

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I had no idea any Mantras were 'off-limits'. I've been reciting them for ages, without mishap.
    Does this mean they've all had a marvellous (placebo) effect, but in actual fact, I've just been droning meaningless drivel?
    lobster
  • I think certain mantras should not be done without empowerment such as vajrayogini, mahakala, amithaba, medicine buddha and some of the karmapa meditations. But it depends what you think yourself.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think we can sometimes make things too complicated for no reason.
    What's the difference between reciting a mantra WITH an empowerment and reciting one without?
    I mean, what difference does it make to the mantra, and the 'Buddha' in question?
    lobsterKundomfranzdorf
  • federica said:

I think we can sometimes make things too complicated for no reason.
    What's the difference between reciting a mantra WITH an empowerment and reciting one without?
    I mean, what difference does it make to the mantra, and the 'Buddha' in question?

That's what I thought. I think mantras are nice little verses of praise or supplication to a deity, buddha or bodhisattva. From a Hindu and Vajrayana perspective (which can be fairly crawling with superstition) the mantra is supposed to have no effect if you're not empowered or initiated by a guru or lama. But like you, I don't know how true that is, hence my question.

I honestly think personally, that Intention is ALL.

If you do something with a devout intention, I think the whole meaning is magnified.

I shouldn't think anyone "empowered" honestly feels any different to anyone else reciting the mantras, when the Right Intention is there.

It's like saying that the Pope reciting the 'Our Father', is more worthy of response than a member of his congregation, because he's ordained and they're not...
    Kundo
  • Having the empowerment from one's root guru helps tremendously with the effect of the mantra. Learning about the context, history, how to pronounce, etc is also useful as well.

The connection with ones root Guru becomes the basis for the mantra because one literally enters his or her mandala. The mantra effects the energies, which in turn coordinates the physical body and mind. Also it is very important to know what mantra does what and what the intention/purpose of each mantra is. So its not just all pretty sounding words, they all serve a specific function.

For instance Green Tara mantra helps for quick action. If you need something done fast, some quick help then this mantra does its job. You connect with the deity through the direct transmission given by the Root Guru.

But this is all Vajrayana context and does not really relate unless one is one the Vajrayana path.
    edited August 2013
    taiyaki said:

Having the empowerment from one's root guru helps tremendously with the effect of the mantra.

How?
    Learning about the context, history, how to pronounce, etc is also useful as well.
    Why should this make any difference?

Are you telling me that an Italian priest reciting a prayer in English - and mispronouncing some words into the bargain - negates 'the power of the prayer'?

If so, why?

(I use the above as an example as I witnessed this happening).
    The connection with ones root Guru becomes the basis for the mantra because one literally enters his or her mandala. The mantra effects the energies, which in turn coordinates the physical body and mind. Also it is very important to know what mantra does what and what the intention/purpose of each mantra is. So its not just all pretty sounding words, they all serve a specific function.
    Totally unnecessary, in my experience.
    For instance Green Tara mantra helps for quick action. If you need something done fast, some quick help then this mantra does its job. You connect with the deity through the direct transmission given by the Root Guru.
    I recited the Tara mantra one night in order to help both my parents in a difficult situation.
    The following morning, there was a perceptible and discernible change for the better in both of them.

Quick enough?
    But this is all Vajrayana context and does not really relate unless one is one the Vajrayana path.
    So in other words, such a connection is largely unnecessary?
    because i have experienced benefits for myself, and for others, with no empowerment whatsoever....
  • federica said:

taiyaki said:

Having the empowerment from one's root guru helps tremendously with the effect of the mantra.

How?

I'm not sure but since I've been on the Vajrayana/Dzogchen path I've been using mantras day in and out. It could be my confidence in my Guru and his teachings, my practice, etc. So this all compounds in the effectiveness of the mantra and I am just attributing it all to my guru. That is probably the case.
    Learning about the context, history, how to pronounce, etc is also useful as well.
    Why should this make any difference?

Are you telling me that an Italian priest reciting a prayer in English - and mispronouncing some words into the bargain - negates 'the power of the prayer'?

If so, why?

(I use the above as an example as I witnessed this happening).

I view it as like any kind of art. One can benefit from learning about the mantra. Is that the essence of the mantra? Probably not because I feel intention with heart felt connection is probably the largest condition. But then again people butcher mantras and still mantras work, so obviously causality isn't so linear as we hope.

And no it doesn't negate the power, no where did I imply that. I am just sharing the other side or rather my subjective experience as a Vajrayana practitioner.
    Totally unnecessary, in my experience.

Well it has been a large part of my current life and practice. So what may be unnecessary for one may be necessary for another and vice versa. Please don't be quick to dismiss.
    I recited the Tara mantra one night in order to help both my parents in a difficult situation.
    The following morning, there was a perceptible and discernible change for the better in both of them.

Quick enough?

Definitely. That is really cool that the mantra worked for you and your parents. Nowhere did I imply that objectively one needs to have requirements for the mantra to work. The Tara energies/deities work beyond our comprehension. I guess what I was trying to say was that if one builds a relationship with such energies then it is very likely for the mantra to have an effect. When we connect with the lineage and root guru that gives us a greater condition for an effect. Not to say that this is the only condition, or even a valid one. It all depends on the individual, circumstance and various other conditions. Nothing final, and objective.
    So in other words, such a connection is largely unnecessary?
    because i have experienced benefits for myself, and for others, with no empowerment whatsoever....

Well that doesn't mean its unnecessary. It just means they work without empowerments, etc.

I think if one is a Vajrayana practitioner then it is very important. If not then no big deal. Its not like there is a hierarchy to mantras and their effectiveness. Its not that black and white.

Sorry if I seemed dismissive or presumption. It was not my intention to offend but rather give a different point of view. Nothing absolute or truly authentic just a casual sharing. Though that might not be heard via words on a forum.

I wish you well.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    From what I have seen, it is like borrowing from the river of another's cultivation. Its not that a guru is any more or any less, but it appeals to their momentum as well. Said differently, the trust built during the initiation allows the mantra to be spoken with a deeper rooted conviction. Perhaps unnecessary for the well practiced, but for the beginner it can make an huge difference.

Not much different than when a teacher's words pop into our mind to help us see more clearly, or why the sangha is one of the jewels. Imho.

lobsterkarmablues
  • Thanks for the dialogue... better than I expected. :)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I love doing our Soto Zen chants, especially when all the voices slip into the same register. Gives me chills up the spine. I especially liked having Shoji duty which meant that I got to drum on the mokugyo.
    lobsterseeker242
  • The mantra you don't do is useless, even if empowered by the Dalai Lama. If you have confidence in the mantra, it will transform your experience . . . or your Dana back . . .

Recently created these Mantra FAQ
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/57234975984/buddhist-mantra-faqs

If you think you need your mantra blessed/approved/sanctioned by your local 'which Dr', then all well and good - go for it . . . feel free (always recommended)

Om ya ha hum
    (yep - made that mantra up, yep I use it, yep it works, yep you can use it)
    KundoJainarayan
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Hmm, right up my alley!
    As some might know, there are no mantras or empowerments in Theravada or Mahayana.
    They do it the long way...meaning sutras.
    Also the Buddha forbade mantra chanting, someone has to look up the relevant sutra for this.

In TB, the empowerment looks like 'permission ' to practice, the ruling clergy dispenses absolute power!
    Much like the church's excommunication etc.
    Humans have evolved the ability to issue edicts, rules on behalf of higher powers, go figure.

Altho, certain practices like wrathful deties shouldn't even be exposed to lay.

Again anything with OM in it is Hindu based.

My friend who spent a few years in Ganden perfectly sums it up about TB;

"BUDDHIST IN PHILOSOPHY, HINDU IN PRACTICE. "
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Rephrase, anything with OM in it has Hindu influence, which predates TB by more than a thousand years.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I don't think that's quite accurate. After all, Hindus believe in atman and inherent existence and God.

In metta,
    Raven
    Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    As a long term Vajrayana/Dzogchen practitioner I am not going to go there... :)
    Suffice it to say that there are dimensions of mantrayoga that you will not experience without empowerment.
    And most people who have had empowerments can conform that.
    There is also a whole catagory of the most effective mantras which unless you are in a longterm relationship to a teacher you will never hear about. Even in this digital age.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Patr said:

Hmm, right up my alley!
    As some might know, there are no mantras or empowerments in Theravada or Mahayana.
    Also the Buddha forbade mantra chanting, someone has to look up the relevant sutra for this.

In TB, the empowerment looks like 'permission ' to practice, the ruling clergy dispenses absolute power!
    Humans have evolved the ability to issue edicts, rules on behalf of higher powers, go figure.

Utter tosh.

_/\_
    federica
    Citta said:

Patr said:

Hmm, right up my alley!

Utter tosh.

_/\_
    Yes, I thought so too.

@Patr, as it's your assertion, it's up to you to provide evidence of the Buddha's decree on Mantra Chanting.
    Please find accurate reference and report back.
    Such comments cannot be allowed to pass without some substantial evidence.
    Such evidence needs to be provided at the time of posting.
    If you have no evidence, links, reference or copy, then don't bother posting hearsay.
    Thanks.
    Well that doesn't mean its unnecessary. It just means they work without empowerments, etc.

I think if one is a Vajrayana practitioner then it is very important. If not then no big deal. Its not like there is a hierarchy to mantras and their effectiveness. Its not that black and white.

Sorry if I seemed dismissive or presumption. It was not my intention to offend but rather give a different point of view. Nothing absolute or truly authentic just a casual sharing. Though that might not be heard via words on a forum.
    My intention was not to dismiss the Empowerment theory, but to demonstrate that they're not necessary.
    I wholly agree with your above comment, @tayaki.
    And I'm sorry if I came across as argumentative.
    :)

• CittaCitta Veteran
    I know several experienced Theravadin monks whose main practice is mantra.
    The world is changing.
    The water -tight compartments are dissolving as all cultures stand face-to-face.
    The Abbott of Amaravati the largest Theravadin monastery outside of Asia, is a Dzogchen student.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Patr said:

Rephrase, anything with OM in it has Hindu influence, which predates TB by more than a thousand years.

Of COURSE Buddhism was influenced by Hinduism. The Buddha was a Hindu.* Born and raised in a Hindu culture. He never renounced Hinduism. He completed it.

* NB. ' Hinduism ' is a convenient term for the range of beliefs that have their origin in the Vedas and Upanishads. Which set out the basics of karma and karma vipaka etc, and which indeed predate Buddha Dharma by more than a thousand years.
    The Buddha didn't prescribe to the way Hindus view Karma however, so however much @Patr feel Buddhism is steeped in Hinduism, it's definitely not the same, nor is it an 'off-shoot.'

Buddhism Philosophy is Buddhist practice.
    Hinduism is not relevant, and as such is an off-topic discussion.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    No its not the same.
    And despite Hindu claims, no Buddhist school including the Vajrayana, accepts that the Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu..lol.
    The reverse influence is true however.
    By the time of Adi Shankacharaya the great Hindu reformer who was active around the 9th century AD, the influence of Buddhism on Hinduism was obvious. So much so that Shankacharaya was accused of being a secret Buddhist..which he may indeed have been.
    Anywhoo....
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2013

A fair summation.

Chenresig/Avalokiteśvara, Tara/Kali etc avatars and Guru worship all come from Hindu witchcraft/tantra . . .
    Most Westerners are not satisfied with this level of superstition and so deeper meanings and teachings are provided to fund and spread the Buddhist equivalent of Catholicism.
    I love a bit of magic but then I think the Virgin Mary in my local Church is a manifestation of the Mother of the Buddhas . . .
    :crazy:
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Patr said:

This I did not know and was confused about.
    Patr said:

Someone did tell me once that the esoterics of TB make it a sort of secret society or old boys' club. I don't know if that's true, or it was a personal bias and bitterness coming through. So, I'm not making a judgment, hust passing it along. I don't think people should perform sadhanas willy-nilly because they like them.
  • It seems that the above discussion is rife with confusion and not clear about orthodoxy, historical, ordained, gnostic and symbolic....

as for my creditability and references...NONE
    lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013

I'm just curious, for the purpose of learning, which of these are off limits to someone who has not received empowerment? And for any that are not off limits, would they (any one mantra, not all at once) be recited on a mala? http://www.visiblemantra.org/mantra.html

The fact that you use the term 'empowerment' suggests that you may be interested in the Vajrayana view. If my assumption is wrong @Jainarayan then please feel free to skip. :)
    Lets go back beyond populist assumptions and look at the basics.
    Firstly though this is by way of explanation in response to your request. It is NOT an attempt to convert you or modify your views.
    It is simply to define the terms of any discussion.
    Common to Buddhist, Vedic and Jain ideas of mantra practice is the idea of 'bijas' This translates literally as 'seeds '. These ' seeds' are stored in Alaya ( store ) consciousness. And correspond to objective realities. Alaya consciousness is associated with vijnana the fifth kandha/skandha .
    Alaya-vjinana is the 'store' for all actions and impressions and thoughts. Its where 'karma' is stored.
    Within alaya-vijnana are also symbols and sounds that are non -different ( notice not 'the same' ) from that which they represent. These symbols and sounds are called 'bija'.
    So that for example the bija mantram for water is 'vam' . Vam sounded with the correct intonation and 'vibration' for want of a better term is non- different to the element of water.
    The correct intonation and 'vibration' depends on hearing it from one who has already activated the bija, and who then speaks it into the ear of the student.
    All authentic mantrams contain at least one bija. We cant of course simply make up our own mantrams, they resonate according to fundamental and universal principles.
    So what happens if we recite a mantram without the empowerment ?
    Well we won't come to harm. The mantram might be soothing. It might have an emotional resonance for us. It might serve as a suitable subject for developing concentration..but Vajrayana teachers would say that without the activation of the bija by empowerment it will not be fully effective.

_/\_
  • So further into my question is, which I don't think anyone addressed...

Does one chant a mantra (now that we know none are "off limits") as many times as desired with or without a mala (I can see that as a yes)? The main reason I ask about using mantras is that I don't practice a formal sadhana and thought I might use the mantras the way a litany is used in Christianity to pray to the saints; that is, one or three or seven repetitions or x for each deity as a form of worship.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Are you asking about the Vajrayana pov ?
  • Citta said:

The fact that you use the term 'empowerment' suggests that you may be interested in the Vajrayana view. If my assumption is wrong @Jainarayan then please feel free to skip. :)
    At one time in the recent past I was interested in Vajrayana, so you are not off. Not that I don't find it fascinating, but given personal reasons it turned out to be not my cup of tea. When I learned more about it, it didn't resonate. So that is indeed where I picked up the term 'empowerment'.
    Citta said:

Common to Buddhist, Vedic and Jain ideas of mantra practice is the idea of 'bijas' This translates literally as 'seeds '. These ' seeds' are stored in Alaya ( store ) consciousness. And correspond to objective realities. Alaya consciousness is associated with vinanya the fifth kandha/skandha .
    Alaya-vinana is the 'store' for all actions and impressions and thoughts. Its where 'karma' is stored.
    Within alaya-vinana are also symbols and sounds that are non -different ( notice not 'the same' ) from that which they represent. These symbols and sounds are called 'bija'.
    So that for example the bija mantram for water is 'vam' . Vam sounded with the correct intonation and 'vibration' for want of a better term is non- different to the element of water.
    The correct intonation and 'vibration' depends on hearing it from one who has already activated the bija, and who then speaks it into the ear of the student.
    All authentic mantrams contain at least one bija. We cant of course simply make up our own mantrams, they resonate according to fundamental and universal principles.
    So what happens if we recite a mantram without the empowerment ?
    Well we won't come to harm. The mantram might be soothing. It might have an emotional resonance for us. It might serve as a suitable subject for developing concentration..but Vajrayana teachers would say that without the activation of the bija by empowerment it will not be fully effective.

_/\_

Yes, this is what I've learned. :) Certain Hindu mantras which contain bijas are not to be recited unless given by the guru at diksha, initiation. This is again the primary reason for my question of mantras being off limits, not knowing if Buddhist mantras are as restrictive. For example does Manjushri's mantra oṃ a ra pa ca na dhīḥ with the seed syllable dhīḥ require empowerment? This link doesn't seem to indicate yeas or no http://www.visiblemantra.org/manjusri.html Remember that I'm coming from a Hindu and Vajrayana rules perspective. So therein lies much of my confusion.

• Citta said:

Are you asking about the Vajrayana pov ?

No, Mahayana in general. I realized Vajrayana is not my path.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    OK..Be well.

_/\_
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Any 'empowerment' you may need or seek is already within you.
    No one can give it to you, teach it to you, or take it away.

It's already there, inside you. If you believe you are empowered, you will be, because you ARE. If you believe you're not, until someone tells you you are, or passes empowerment onto you- you are voluntarily denying your own empowerment.

35+ years in the world of Gods and Goddesses, spells, magick, ritual, prayers, and magickal thinking taught me one profound thing:

It's ALL in your head. You can not, and do not 'rule' over anything but your own mind and microscopic sphere of your own physical existence.

Jainarayanlobster
  • So further into my question is, which I don't think anyone addressed...

Does one chant a mantra (now that we know none are "off limits") as many times as desired with or without a mala (I can see that as a yes)? The main reason I ask about using mantras is that I don't practice a formal sadhana and thought I might use the mantras the way a litany is used in Christianity to pray to the saints; that is, one or three or seven repetitions or x for each deity as a form of worship.

Edit time expired...

One of the mantras I was wondering about to add to my 'litany' is the 100 syllable Vajrasattva mantra. So you see how I was thinking of using the mantras, and if that is permissible. It may be the directions I am coming from: having been Catholic then Eastern Orthodox, which are rife with litanies of praise and supplication, and the Hindu perspective of "One Deity One Mantra". A confusing admixture to be sure.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

OK..Be well.

_/\_

Please don't think I think there's anything wrong with Vajrayana. :( It seems to be more than I can handle for personal, emotional and mental reasons. "Not my cup of tea" was a poor choice of words; it would have been better to say "not ready for it". I was attracted to it because of a long story, with the short version of it being someone suggesting deity yoga.
  • MaryAnne said:

Any 'empowerment' you may need or seek is already within you.
    No one can give it to you, teach it to you, or take it away.

It's already there, inside you. If you believe you are empowered, you will be, because you ARE. If you believe you're not, until someone tells you you are, or passes empowerment onto you- you are voluntarily denying your own empowerment.

35+ years in the world of Gods and Goddesses, spells, magick, ritual, prayers, and magickal thinking taught me one profound thing:

It's ALL in your head. You can not, and do not 'rule' over anything but your own mind and microscopic sphere of your own physical existence.

Thanks, it seems this group is very liberal in interpretations. :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Well we're kind of back to the beginning @Jainarayan..lol.
    Vajrasattva is a Vajrayana Deity. Some would say THE Vajrayana Deity who was the cosmic teacher of the Buddha..
    So from a Vajrayana pov you will get the full benefit only with empowerment.
    You see, its a question that until recently simply wouldn't have been asked, because outside of the Vajrayana there was no knowledge of Vajrasattva. So all of those who did the mantra did it in the context of Vajrayana. :)
    Of course you can do it. But as Spiny Norman says ..why ? If you don't think Vajrasattva has an objective existence ? If what you want is a suitable sound to focus on..
    Why not something neutral like 'Buddho'..
  • Citta said:

OK..Be well.

Please

_/\_

Citta said:

Well we're kind of back to the beginning @Jainarayan..lol.
    Vajrasattva is a Vajrayana Deity. Some would say THE Vajrayana Deity who was the cosmic teacher of the Buddha..
    So from a Vajrayana pov you will get the full benefit only with empowerment.
    You see, its a question that until recently simply wouldn't have been asked, because outside of the Vajrayana there was no knowledge of Vajrasattva. So all of those who did the mantra did it in the context of Vajrayana. :)
    Of course you can do it. But as Spiny Norman says ..why ? If you don't think Vajrasattva has an objective existence ? If what you want is a suitable sound to focus on..
    Why not something neutral like 'Buddho'..

OK I see and it does make sense. Thanks. :thumbsup:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    One is either on or off the Vajrayana bus I think. If one is off it ..fair enough. No harm, no foul as I believe Americans say ( did I get that right ? )
    Cherry-picking as the bus goes by will in the long term just add to confusion imo.
    Vajrayana is an entire system consistent to itself.

Not the only system of course.....

_/\_
    Jainarayantaiyaki