Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Psychedelics

edited August 2013 in General Banter
I'm interested in the connection between the psychedelic experience and Eastern philosophy. Psychedelics seem to bring Western minded people to "Eastern" conclusions about reality and self as well as enhance creativity; on the other hand, Eastern traditions and sages speak at times of psychedelic-like experiences encountered on the spiritual path, via meditation or even spontaneously in the case of unique individuals.

From a mainstream point of view – skeptic of mysticism, hostile to drugs and attached to the idea of a coherent, free and rational self - this connection is not mysterious: different ways to similar delusions. But for someone who happens to revere Eastern wisdom, it would appear that these might be different ways to the same Truth.

This brings up a few questions:

In Buddhism, in the practice of Anapanasati, out of the 16 steps to enlightenment, steps 5 and 6 are described as experiencing "rapture" and then "bliss", after developing deep levels of concentration. Are there any other religious traditions that seem to include "psychedelic" experiences developed through practice?

Spontaneous modes of expanded consciousness experienced by unique individuals seem universal; Jean Dark and Sir William Blake come to mind (both, consequently, spiritual and creative figures). What other examples from Western history seem to fit this phenomenon?

And if these experiences are indeed, in the right setting, conducive to spirituality and at times even to enlightenment, it would seem quite tragic if the Western setting is thwarting this potential, rendering potential sages confused, troubled and ashamed. I think for instance of the Indian Papaji. From childhood he had seen vivid visions of Krishna. As these visions became less frequent he set out on a journey to find again the Hindu god, eventually coming to deep realizations about ultimate reality. He abandoned the idea of the visions of Krishna as being reality, understanding that what appears and disappears is not real, and thus searching for that that is always present and doesn't change, the true nature behind the self, the bare awareness beyond conceptions or ego, behind the very question Who Am I. This is an inspiring and profound teaching in my opinion. Had Papaji grown up in the west, I suspect he would have ended as a miserable being on the fringes of society instead of as a great teacher. Could there be similar individuals, gifted by nature but cursed by their cultural setting, who have spontaneously experienced true reality without the proper preparation or guidance, now rotting in insane asylums? What specific mental "disorders" may fit what would otherwise be defined as spiritual, potentially enlightening modes of perception?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    I see @Danny1 that you have posted the same question on Dharma Wheel...and got the same answers :)
    Quel surprise.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • @Danny1 I liked the info on Papaji as I am a fan of Gangaji. What was Papaji named for? I think it's not named after Papa Smurf.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    In Buddhism, in the practice of Anapanasati, out of the 16 steps to enlightenment, steps 5 and 6 are described as experiencing "rapture" and then "bliss", after developing deep levels of concentration. Are there any other religious traditions that seem to include "psychedelic" experiences developed through practice?
    Yes, any of the shamanic traditions and there are all kinds of different shamanic traditions around the world. Not very applicable to Buddhism though as Buddhism is not really a shamanic tradition. The rapture and bliss of Jhana is, very importantly, "born from withdrawal".

"There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought and evaluation. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.
    The reason why psychedelic expirence and Jhana are very different is because with psychedelics, you are "taking up sensuality" and with Jhana you are "withdrawn from sensuality". There is a very, very big difference between the two. Also, with Jhana, this rapture and bliss is to be abandoned if you are going to progress. If you just stay fixated on the rapture, you are making a mistake.
    And if these experiences are indeed, in the right setting, conducive to spirituality and at times even to enlightenment, it would seem quite tragic if the Western setting is thwarting this potential, rendering potential sages confused, troubled and ashamed. I think for instance of the Indian Papaji. From childhood he had seen vivid visions of Krishna.
    Experiences can be transformative, just like you quoted with Papaji. The same goes for his teacher Maharshi. However, these experiences are genuine, not fabricated with an intoxicating substance like psychedelics. This is what Papaji himself has to say.

"First of all, when you are on a trip of any drug, say in the evening, the next morning it is over. That trip is over. This is the result with all drugs, you see: their trip is only eight hours and finished. You will come out of it. Intoxication is only for eight hours for any drugs that you take. That's why people are addicted to these drugs. But this drug is not LSD, is not any chemical, no drug! It's a very special kind of drug, you see. The effect of this drug will be deeper intoxication every next moment. There is no question of coming out of this intoxication. It increases by itself every next moment, throughout your life, you see... ."

He's talking about "intoxication" with just reality as it actually is. Not a contrived state of mind that you temporarily experience with taking psychedelics.

His teacher Maharshi has this to say:

"If you are so anxious for trance any narcotic will bring it about. Drug-habit will be the result and not liberation.
    Jeffreyriverflowkarmablues
  • Also, with Jhana, this rapture and bliss is to be abandoned if you are going to progress. If you just stay fixated on the rapture, you are making a mistake.
    In a similar sense, St. John of the Cross, the Desert Fathers, and many other Christian mystics warned about getting blissed out on visions of angels or of God. One passes beyond that and into the "dark night of the soul," realizing God as "nada nada nada nada nada nada..."
    JeffreykarmabluesKundo

• Just as a general FYI:

According to the Mayo clinic (a trusted source, wouldn't we agree?), LSD is a (physically) non-addictive drug. It *could be* "habit forming" from a psychological POR; but then again so are chocolate chip cookies to some people. :)

That is all.

Jeffrey
  • Jeffrey said:

@Danny1 I liked the info on Papaji as I am a fan of Gangaji. What was Papaji named for? I think it's not named after Papa Smurf.

If I remember correctly, it's a term of endearment derived indeed from a word that means "father" (famously there are Indo-European linguistic similarities), so you weren't that far off with Papa Smurf.
  • . . . Not to be confused with one of my Gurus Puppetji
  • I find all of the responses very interesting and helpful. I would like to offer a few comments.

I don't suggest that psychedelics = enlightenmnet any more that Jahana = enlightenment. Indeed the Jahanas are just steps on the path (not even that advanced as far a Anapanasiti goes), and dwelling in their entertaining features is a possible trap and distraction. However, they are nonetheless steps, that is potentially tools for progress and insight along the way. Why couldn't psychedelics, in the right set and setting, at least in theory have similar benefits?

I feel a little bit like the resistence here to my suggestions is more dogmatic than empirical or logical. I don't understand the confident assertion that the psychedelic experience is stricly sensual, confusing and conducive to ignorance. My expereince, actually, didn't include much of the "special effects" so famously associated with the drugs, and to the extent that these occured I didn't pay much attention to them. I did experience, however, that free will is an illusion, that there is no self, that all is Dhamma, or Nature, that everything is in its place, such that the duality of right and wrong didn't apply anymore. This was a great gift that I deeply appreciate to this day: it confirmed for me through direct experience notions that hitherto were merely conceptual. It gave me tremendous confidence and joy in my practice of meditation (which indeed is far more important than any drugs). Is this sensual ignorance?

(By the way, neither I nore anyone I know have develpoed dependency on such drugs. In fact, like Alan Watts testified, after a psychedelic experience I feel like I don't even want to repeat the experience for a long time, to allow myself time to digest and comprehend the insights.)

Could it be that the resistence here to my suggestions, is actually quite egoistic, based on the western ethos that progress only comes through suffering, through the self overcoming challenges and thus fullfiling itself and proving its toughness, diligence power-of-will and so on? Could it be that "Insight in a pill" insults our sense of rational, free and coherent self? Such an egoistic "Buddhist" standpoint seems quite ironic.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I didn't really see anyone suggest that only through suffering could one move on to any higher state.

But let's put it this way. Do we have any evidence that Buddha used any stimulants to reach his higher state? Do we have any evidence that Buddha approved of stimulants? No, in fact, we have evidence that he felt contrary to that.

If you want to use drugs, just go use them. Don't cloak that desire with Buddhism, and some sense that Western Buddhism is kinda new age and approves. There are no short cuts.
    riverflowKundo
  • Why couldn't psychedelics, in the right set and setting, at least in theory have similar benefits?
    You will persist in wasting time until you get the answer that confirms your delusions.
    Very well,
    psychedelics are a way to open the path to higher understanding. Anything else you require on your path? Osho had a nice line in sexual frenzy . . . Would you like to have the YinYana 'rock and roll empowerment'?

:rarr:
    how
  • The spiritual path is about curing oneself from the insanity of the ego-worldview, and not a proving ground for the individual to achieve some sense of pride. I think that if the Buddha could pack enlightenment as a pill, he would have turned to pushing dope and not to teaching, and why not? Again, I'm not saying that psychedelics = enlightenment, just trying to expose possible irrational resistance we have to drug-induced insights, such that we may even find offensive the notion of drug-induced enlightenment if it were possible, because we are so attached to an idea of progress through suffering and "there are no shortcuts".

Thanks vinlyn for the permission to use drugs, but that's not what I'm here for. I may be mistaken, but there's no reason to doubt my sincerity, that is that I really think there's something here to look into and not just an excuse for sensual cravings...

I wonder if the confident assertions being made here about psychedelics come from personal experience.
    MaryAnne
    I don't doubt your sincerity. I doubt your wisdom.

But okay, show us the evidence in Buddhist scripture that advocates drug use.
  • I wonder if the confident assertions being made here about psychedelics come from personal experience.
    They do.
    Go and use Timothy Leary
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychedelic_Experience

Good luck. :rarr:
  • edited August 2013
    vinlyn said:

I don't doubt your sincerity. I doubt your wisdom.

But okay, show us the evidence in Buddhist scripture that advocates drug use.

I don't think there are such evidence
    Yup.
  • Yup...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I am no prophet @Danny1, but I will make a prediction based on experience of this subject on several Buddhist websites.
    You will hang around for a while trying to convince people of your view.
    You will have little success.
    You are not prepared to put in the effort needed to walk this path.
    You will drift away...
    howvinlynKundo
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Danny1 said:

I don't suggest that psychedelics = enlightenmnet any more that Jahana = enlightenment. Indeed the Jahanas are just steps on the path (not even that advanced as far a Anapanasiti goes), and dwelling in their entertaining features is a possible trap and distraction. However, they are nonetheless steps, that is potentially tools for progress and insight along the way. Why couldn't psychedelics, in the right set and setting, at least in theory have similar benefits?

The reason the jhanas are important for enlightenment is because one abandons the five hindrances (sensual desire, ill will/aversion, sloth and torpor, restlessness and worry, and doubt) while the mind is in one-pointed concentration. The Buddha calls these five hindrances "obstructions, hindrances, corruptions of the mind which weaken wisdom" (S.v,94)

According to Ajahn Brahm:
    In summary, the Five Hindrances are delusion’s spin-doctors. They block one from seeing things as they truly are, and instead present to one’s awareness what is socially acceptable, pleasing and non-challenging. Moreover, the work of these Five Hindrances is done behind the scenes. One is mostly unconscious of their manipulations. That is why it’s called delusion. So when these Five Hindrances have been operating, one can not be sure that the object of one’s mindfulness is the way things truly are. The only time of certainty, when insight can be trusted, is when the Five Hindrances have been suppressed for some time. Thus the prerequisite for all meaningful insight, especially deep insight, is that the Five Hindrances are abandoned for long periods of time.
    When the five hindrances are suppressed, the Buddha describes the mind as being "purified, bright, unblemished, rid of imperfection, malleable, wieldy, steady and attained to imperturbability” (e.g. MN 4. 27), so that deep insight can happen. Therefore, if psychedelics could actually suppress all of the five hindrances the same way samadhi can then it potentially could be beneficial. But I doubt psychedelics would have that effect and my guess is that they are more likely to actually stimulate one or more of the hindrances.
    Danny1 said:

I feel a little bit like the resistence here to my suggestions is more dogmatic than empirical or logical.

Please see one of my comments on this topic on another thread at this link:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/355747/#Comment_355747
    riverflowzombiegirl
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Danny1 said:

Could it be that the resistence here to my suggestions, is actually quite egoistic, based on the western ethos that progress only comes through suffering, through the self overcoming challenges and thus fullfiling itself and proving its toughness, diligence power-of-will and so on? Could it be that "Insight in a pill" insults our sense of rational, free and coherent self? Such an egoistic "Buddhist" standpoint seems quite ironic.

It could be! But, it could also be something else. It could be that insight in a pill just isn't comparable to what the Buddha called insight. If one is to keep an open mind, one should consider all possibilities!

I think it's also prudent to consider what Buddhist wise men have to say about it. Ajahn Chah for example. He is considered by many to be a highly enlightened person. He says:
    Real effort is a matter of the mind, not of the body. Different methods of concentration are like ways of earning a living-the most important thing is that you feed yourself, not how you manage to get the food. Actually, when the mind is freed from desires, concentration arises naturally, no matter what activity you are engaged in.

Drugs can bring about meaningful experiences, but the one who takes a drug has not made causes for such effects. He has just temporarily altered nature, like injecting a monkey with hormones that send him shooting up a tree to pick coconuts. Such experiences may be true but not good or good but not true, whereas Dharma is always both good and true.
    Of course people can believe whatever they want. But, It's always prudent to consider what real life wise men have to say.

:om:
    riverflowToshkarmabluesKundo
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Danny1 said:

I may be mistaken, but there's no reason to doubt my sincerity, that is that I really think there's something here to look into and not just an excuse for sensual cravings...

If anything is elevated then that seems the focus, center stage so to speak, so I think there is a risk of being limited by the confines of this focus.
    You seem to be pushed to 'look into' it - so look into it, and set it to rest when you're done looking.
    riverflow
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited August 2013
    @Danny1
    Not everyone here shares the same opinion about psychedelic drugs and plants.
    My own experiences with them are in the distant past. So distant now that the memory is beginning to fade away.
    The life altering effect remains or course. How could it not?
    Once set onto a different course, you can't go back and unlive the experience, for better or worse. That's the gamble.
    For me, it was for better. That's the way I interpreted it.
    Others may see it differently but because it was my experience and my life, their opinion means nothing to me. Whether it be family, friends or strangers.
    You are wasting your time talking to Buddhists about it, if you want confirmation that there is some connection to Buddhism.
    The only connection, one that the inexperienced may try to deny, is that psychedelic drugs and/or plants can, have, and will set people on a path that will bring them to the teachings of Buddha.
    David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    As with anything, the intent is key here. Some take LSD to be stupefied and some take it as an investigative tool. Sure, sometimes one can flow into the other but that's neither here nor there. Personally I know that I have had insights on LSD that were later echoed in the works of Thich Nhat Hanh and others.

I haven't done psychedelic drugs (unless you count weed) in over ten years but it was fundamental when I was just starting to learn of Buddhism. I may have still seen Buddhism as just another religion if not for psychedelic experience.

I see some mentioning Timothy Leary and sure, he is an easy target (even as he was a brilliant mind indeed and never talked about Buddhism all that much even if he would talk of Buddha) however, I find it funny that nobody has mentioned Alan Watts.

• They have their limits, definite significant risks for just a whiz bang...your time is probably better spent meditating in a float tank.

You perhaps have already read my 2 cents
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/19207/meditation-and-thc/p2
  • robotrobot Veteran

I don't understand why so many people seem to think drugs are compatible with Buddhist meditation or anything related with Buddhism at all.

You can not practice mindfulness or moral discipline while in a drugged up state the 5th precept exists for a reason.

Recreational drugs are the best example of a false worldly pleasure that Buddhism describes and get you no where on the path to liberation and a drugie is pretty much the opposite of what you would expect a Buddhist to be impho.

This is completely true.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2013

I don't understand why so many people seem to think drugs are compatible with Buddhist meditation or anything related with Buddhism at all.

I don't think anyone has said that it is. However, the exploration and introspection that psychedelic experiences usually entails can and has led many people on a journey that led them to Buddhism. It doesn't matter if you like it or not.
    You can not practice mindfulness or moral discipline while in a drugged up state the 5th precept exists for a reason.
    You can't practice moral discipline while in a drugged up state? That's silly. You can always practice moral discipline. One could practice mindfulness training as well. If one is too drugged up then of course concentration will be lacking but there is a middle ground. If you can be aware of what you are doing, you can be mindful.
    Recreational drugs are the best example of a false worldly pleasure that Buddhism describes and get you no where on the path to liberation and a drugie is pretty much the opposite of what you would expect a Buddhist to be impho.
    I hope you include any that indulge in a beer every now and again.

• robotrobot Veteran
    ourself said:

I don't think anyone has said that it is. However, the exploration and introspection that psychedelic experiences usually entails can and has led many people on a journey that led them to Buddhism. It doesn't matter if you like it or not.
    You can't practice moral discipline while in a drugged up state? That's silly. You can always practice moral discipline. One could practice mindfulness training as well. If one is too drugged up then of course concentration will be lacking but there is a middle ground. If you can be aware of what you are doing, you can be mindful.
    I hope you include any that indulge in a beer every now and again.

I agree with your comments. Your points are valid to me.
    But here is the thing. TheEccentric is quite young. His stance on drugs is admirable and mature. Where young people are concerned there is no middle ground when it comes to recreational drugs of any kind.
    A young teenager must stay away from drugs and that is the bottom line.
    lobsterkarmablues
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
    " ( drugs ) create a dream within the dream, it is the opposite of waking up. ".
    karmablues
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    @Danny1, I totally understand where you are coming from, and you have certainly gained knowledge from the things you have done. However, as far as my limited knowledge goes, I understand enlightenment as a stripping away to get to the truth. Adding things on, such as drugs, would seem counterintuitive.

I'm not saying don't do drugs, I'm just saying that drugs probably won't get you to where you are trying to go.

Good luck!
    riverflow
    edited August 2013
    karasti said:

@ourself if it's perfectly possible to practice all of those things with the brain being externally influenced, then why do most religions, including Buddhism, specify that it's best to avoid them in order to keep a clearer mind? Anyone who doesn't think their brain isn't affected by drugs (of any sort) is lying to themselves. You cannot be both foggy headed and clear headed at the same time.

It is said it is best to avoid all intoxicants but what does that have to do with the undisputed fact that many people have been led to Buddhism by ingesting substances that alter awareness?
    If you need drugs to see things as they are, then you really aren't seeing them as they are. Sure, it's more work to train the brain to do it without drugs. But then you are actually training your brain as a practice. A dog will learn not to jump on the counter if you beat it, too, but it's not the best way to train the dog.
    I agree with you here but you have missed the point of my post entirely.

I do not advocate drug use, I'm just stating a fact.

ourself said:

It is said it is best to avoid all intoxicants but what does that have to do with the undisputed fact that many people have been led to Buddhism by ingesting substances that alter awareness?

You have undisputed fact that people who had no previous contact with Buddhism suddenly were led to Buddhism by drugs?

vinlyn said:

ourself said:

You have undisputed fact that people who had no previous contact with Buddhism suddenly were led to Buddhism by drugs?

Well, I mean you can dispute it all you want but it doesn't make it any less true. It's exactly what happened to me. I don't remember exactly what I had said but was told it sounded like something Buddha would say.

Twenty two years later I still practice and study Buddhism.

Like I said, I do not advocate the use of drugs or use them anymore. Nor do I feel they are needed to have the kinds of realizations that are conducive to the Buddhist process but without the introspection that comes with the psychedelic experience, I may not have ever bothered to explore it.

That's all I'm saying.

That and that I think Alan Watts had a good understanding of the dharma even as he was a psychedelic drug user.

MaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @ourself, I was not disputing what you said that you found Buddhism because of your experience. I was disputing what you said here:

When you are in an altered state most people cannot rely on what they are experiencing. Inhibitions get lowered, we say and do things we wouldn't normally do. It makes it much harder to follow true mindfulness and awareness. Impossible for every person on the planet? No, I wouldn't go that far. But unlikely for the average person, yes. Last night my husband was out at a friend's house with his co-worker friends. He thought he had some grand comment to make that in his alcohol-addled brain seemed witty, funny and somehow wise. He made the comment and it ended up causing a fight between his friend and his wife. We often think we're super aware and smart when we're being affected by other substances. Most of the time, it's just as illusory as anything else. How many musicians and artists have claimed they cannot produce material unless they are drunk or high or altered in some way, only to find that when they stop, the things they produce are much higher in quality? We are much more deluded about our capabilities while we are under the influence. That's why it's so problematic, and why we have so many DUIs.
    vinlynriverflowkarmablues
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Basically, even if psychedelics has caused some people to take an interest in Buddhism, drug use is not something that most Buddhists would advocate simply because there are a number of better ways to introduce someone to Buddhism. For example, simply living in accordance with the Dhamma could influence people to take interest in Buddhism. I know that my behaviourial changes after I started practicing Buddhism have triggered an interest in Buddhism for some people close to me. Or exposing someone to the Buddha's teachings, perhaps by recommending a good book on Buddhism, encouraging someone to try Buddhist meditation, or donating money towards the printing of Dhamma books for free distribution, etc.

I don't think there would ever be a situation where it would be appropriate to introduce Buddhism to someone by suggesting they should take drugs. First, there is no guarantee that the person would have a beneficial experience and there would always be the risk of that person having a bad trip which could have long-term negative effects. There was a time long ago when I smoked weed regularly, took MDMA lots of times (taking 4 - 5 ecstasy pills over the course of an all-night rave was nothing unusual), occasional tabs of acid were a lot of fun, but then there came that one time when I got a bad trip which left me with psychological problems that had a strong impact on my mental well-being for several years. At one point I had to quit university and move to enroll in a university at another city as I developed this paranoid belief that there were some locals seeking to kill me.

Apart from that, even if someone did have a "positive" experience on drugs which triggers an interest in Buddhism, there is no guarantee that they won't want to take drugs again and again and again which may ultimately lead them to addiction and/or getting into trouble with the law. Also, prior positive experiences are no guarantee that a bad trip won't occur in subsequent uses of drugs.

So considering all of the above, if we wanted to help spread the Dhamma, it is clearly unwise to do so by condoning or promoting the use of drugs. Apart from being a breach of the five precepts, it boils down to the fact that the risks outweigh any possible benefits and there are other methods which are safe that people can make use of which don't involve use of drugs.
    JeffreylobsterKundo
  • Danny1 said:

The spiritual path is about curing oneself from the insanity of the ego-worldview, and not a proving ground for the individual to achieve some sense of pride. I think that if the Buddha could pack enlightenment as a pill, he would have turned to pushing dope and not to teaching, and why not? Again, I'm not saying that psychedelics = enlightenment, just trying to expose possible irrational resistance we have to drug-induced insights, such that we may even find offensive the notion of drug-induced enlightenment if it were possible, because we are so attached to an idea of progress through suffering and "there are no shortcuts".

Thanks vinlyn for the permission to use drugs, but that's not what I'm here for. I may be mistaken, but there's no reason to doubt my sincerity, that is that I really think there's something here to look into and not just an excuse for sensual cravings...

I wonder if the confident assertions being made here about psychedelics come from personal experience.

I totally get what you are saying. I do, honestly. However you can type till your fingers bleed, you are not going to get more than a very few people here to admit that they can see your point (or admit you even have a point!).
    It's a circular/dead-end discussion we've had here in this forum a few times already.

I'm not complaining or trying to shut down discussion- I'm just trying to save you, @Danny1, some frustration.... :)

vinlyn
  • I once went to a meeting, where the facilitator had started his practice after gaining insights from 'wife beating'. Realising it was not a beneficial practice and being inspired to change his behaviour. Others have been inspired to practice after warfare.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka

We can conclude that unskilful behaviour can lead to meritorious insights. With further insights we do not discuss the merits of wife beating whilst being on drugs . . . except in passing.

In a similar way 'how LSD gave me insight into alternative realities/altered consciousness' and I became a Buddhist is self indulgent. If you continually contend that you have superior insight and worthwhile causality, all well and good. Bravo. Good. Well done. Do you have other dead end conversations you wish to regail us with? You ask for maturity. You get it, then complain. Yours is a discussion for shaman, academics and drunk dinner parties. If you do not understand the context . . . then unkindly and unskilfully drag us further along this samsara arrow examination path . . . shame on you.
    http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/teaching-of-poisoned-arrow.html
    howkarmablues

• ^^ Wow. that was a bit harsh. :(
    and not usually like you, @Lobster....
    MaryAnne said:

^^ Wow. that was a bit harsh. :(

Maybe he was on LSD when he wrote it and gained that insight and wanted to pass it along.

lobsterkarmabluesKundo
  • MaryAnne said:

^^ Wow. that was a bit harsh. :(

You 'chakras' are too open through drug use. Just so you know.
  • Yeah, I don't find that funny either. I don't do drugs.
    Good for you, Mary Anne. Neither do I!
  • jlljll Veteran
    Drugs intensify your senses.
    you willl see details you never saw before.
    It can open the door for some people, to reduce the conceptual
    world somewhat.
    It can be an eye-opening experience.

Even though it is dicouraged in buddhism, it can be a useful
    tool on the spiritual path.
    but the dangers a obvious, the intensity of the 1st experience
    will never be reached in subsequent bouts.
    hence, the need for higher dosage.
    also, the danger of addiction as one crave for the
    mind-state induced by drugs.

overall, it is what it is, no more, no less.
    it is a powerful drug that can affect your brain.
    iy is no shortcut for the spiritual path.
    Danny1 said:

I'm interested in the connection between the psychedelic experience and Eastern philosophy. Psychedelics seem to bring Western minded people to "Eastern" conclusions about reality and self as well as enhance creativity; on the other hand, Eastern traditions and sages speak at times of psychedelic-like experiences encountered on the spiritual path, via meditation or even spontaneously in the case of unique individuals.

From a mainstream point of view – skeptic of mysticism, hostile to drugs and attached to the idea of a coherent, free and rational self - this connection is not mysterious: different ways to similar delusions. But for someone who happens to revere Eastern wisdom, it would appear that these might be different ways to the same Truth.

This brings up a few questions:

Spontaneous modes of expanded consciousness experienced by unique individuals seem universal; Jean Dark and Sir William Blake come to mind (both, consequently, spiritual and creative figures). What other examples from Western history seem to fit this phenomenon?

And if these experiences are indeed, in the right setting, conducive to spirituality and at times even to enlightenment, it would seem quite tragic if the Western setting is thwarting this potential, rendering potential sages confused, troubled and ashamed. I think for instance of the Indian Papaji. From childhood he had seen vivid visions of Krishna. As these visions became less frequent he set out on a journey to find again the Hindu god, eventually coming to deep realizations about ultimate reality. He abandoned the idea of the visions of Krishna as being reality, understanding that what appears and disappears is not real, and thus searching for that that is always present and doesn't change, the true nature behind the self, the bare awareness beyond conceptions or ego, behind the very question Who Am I. This is an inspiring and profound teaching in my opinion. Had Papaji grown up in the west, I suspect he would have ended as a miserable being on the fringes of society instead of as a great teacher. Could there be similar individuals, gifted by nature but cursed by their cultural setting, who have spontaneously experienced true reality without the proper preparation or guidance, now rotting in insane asylums? What specific mental "disorders" may fit what would otherwise be defined as spiritual, potentially enlightening modes of perception?

• . . . must be a flashback to a funnier time . . . :crazy:
    vinlyn
  • edited August 2013
    Only users lose drugs.
    lobstermisterCope