Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist violence.

The ugly side of Buddhists. What can you do to stop the spread Buddhist violence?
How can we explain to people that violence is the oppposite
of Buddha's teachings?

"ONE popular view of Buddhism is of a peaceable religion, some of whose devotees sweep brushes in front of them, so that they do not step on and destroy any living creature. Unfortunately there is another, far from placid side to some Buddhists which the Muslim world has had cause to see in recent years.
The genocidal attacks in Myanmar on the luckless Muslim Rohingya community by Buddhist fanatics was, until this week, the most high profile example of this bigotry. Now however Buddhist thugs have been at work in Sri Lanka. A mosque in the capital Colombo has been damaged and forced to close after violent attacks by Buddhist rioters."

Comments

• The brush sweepers are Jains. Islam which means peace has the same problem with political hijackers.

Just remember a hypocrite can wear robes or a humble turban and advocate hatred and people who are susceptible will be influenced.

We can be kind Christians, not members of the Spanish Inqusition. We can only practice and advocate the heart of our own knowing . . . not the heart of hatred, ignorance and self interested frenzy.

We can only be and spread a better example to the best of our potential.

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python

misterCopeChe
  • Its not really buddhist people. Its people under the guise of the concept or identity called buddhism.

So for one i think its important to recognize that.

And we can take it further. What are people wielded by?

Negative emotions.

What are negative emotions wielded by?

Ignorance of what causes suffering and what relieves suffering.

So how can we help the situation? By knowing without a doubt in ourselves what suffering is and how to end it.

And by becoming a living example of this, not some idea or religion but by showing other humans how one gets free then there won't be silly humans being wielded by emotions which are wielded by their ignorance.
    I_AM_THATJeffrey
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    taiyaki said:

Its not really buddhist people. Its people under the guise of the concept or identity called buddhism.

So for one i think its important to recognize that.

Ironically, we don't want to identify with bad Buddhists. Bad Buddhists are not Buddhists at all. What a concept.
    And we can take it further. What are people wielded by?
    Wielded? seriously? :p
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Not pointed to anyone in particular, but I get very uncomfortable when someone points a finger and says either, "He's not a real Buddhist", or, "He's not a good Buddhist". After all, we learned in another thread that the Dalai Lama is not a real or a good Buddhist. {That's sarcasm, folks}.
    lobstermisterCope
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

I will respect anybodies right to call themselves Buddhists as long as they respect my right not to call them Buddhists.

I mean are these really the acts of Buddhist Monastics?
    Really really really?

If it is then please explain to me how. Thanks.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jathika_Hela_Urumaya

The Jathika Hela Urumaya (Sinhala: ජාතික හෙළ උරුමය, often approximated in English as National Heritage Party) is a political party in Sri Lanka which is led by Buddhist monks.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence

During the Sri Lankan Civil War (1983-2009), Buddhist monks urged the government to take aggressive stances against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).[20] Dr. Tessa Bartholomeusz, Professor at the Department of Religion, of Florida State University writes in her book In Defense of Dharma: Just-War Ideology in Buddhist Sri Lanka; that prominent Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka advocate a "Just war ideology" against LTTE.[20]

A Buddhist fundamentalist group Bodu Bala Sena (BBS), had expressed concerns about the growth of Muslim's economy in Sri Lanka, and urged the fellow Buddhist to boycott such products manufactured and sold at Muslim's retail chains. In response to the appeal in March 2013, a bhikkhu led a mob of hundreds of Buddhists to attack a retail chain lead by Muslim owner in Colombo. The BBS had organized a moral unofficial police team to check the activities of Christian missionaries and Muslim influence in daily life.[10][21][22] A Buddhist mob also attacked a Colombo mosque in August 2013.[23]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22356306

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Fwiw one of my teachers said frequently that there are ' no born Buddhists ' . That everyone has to experience ' a turning about in the seat of consciousness for themselves '
    And that one of the major barriers to seeing the truth of that is to be born into a culture that substitutes for 'turning about' a cultural identity.
    Which is probably part of what Ajahn Chah meant when he said that for the sake of Dhamma it was neccessary for it to come to the west.
    Jeffrey
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    What about the Muslim's genocidal attacks on Buddhists in Bangladesh? What about all the temples burnt to the ground? Or the murderous attacks on Buddhists in Islamic southern Thailand? The bombings at Mahabodhi temple? Some Buddhists in Burma and Sri Lanka may be bad but that is nothing but the horrors inflicted by Islam.

And what's the big deal about the Mosque? All of them should be removed and replaced with more useful buildings than hate preaching institutions.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Violence is all around us.
    It comes with birth, old age. disease & death.

Oh excuse me! Could folks who claim to be Buddhist while doing violence to others overseas be any less violent than me remaining silent about my own countries export of violence?

I just think that folks who wish to point out what a Buddhist is or is not, should start that examination process first in front of the closest mirror.
  • jlljll Veteran
    there are more than a billion muslims and millions of mosques,
    where do you want to start destroying the mosques?

such foolish comments only incite more violence.

Hatred is never quelled by hatred.
    This is the eternal law.
    ~ Dhammapada.

What about the Muslim's genocidal attacks on Buddhists in Bangladesh? What about all the temples burnt to the ground? Or the murderous attacks on Buddhists in Islamic southern Thailand? The bombings at Mahabodhi temple? Some Buddhists in Burma and Sri Lanka may be bad but that is nothing but the horrors inflicted by Islam.

And what's the big deal about the Mosque? All of them should be removed and replaced with more useful buildings than hate preaching institutions.

vinlynlobsterriverflow
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited August 2013

I think there's a confusion here between Islam and the perpetrators.
    To categorise all mosques as hate preaching institutions is a somewhat bigoted stance and it is factually incorrect.
    Mosques are places where mostly muslims congregate - otherwise they are just buildings.
    Are you proposing therefore to 'remove' the muslims?
    lobsterriverflow
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The situation in Myanmar is more to do with Nationalism rather then Buddhism, It just so happens many of the idiots who perpetrate the violence wear the robes of the ordained thus bringing total shame on the Monastic community.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    voilence done by a person is done by that person and not by that religion. all religions, if they are a religion, teaches peace, which comes through morality. the problem comes when a person's ego takes religion as its identity, thereby starts the struggle of justifying that that person's religion is better than others and on an extreme case that whoever does not follow his religion is his enemy. but all these drama are created in the mind of that person, which has nothing to do with the religion of the person.

may all sentient beings be happy in themselves.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Being human, 'Buddhists' are just as likely to commit acts of violence as anyone else. Buddhists aren't inherently less prone to doing stupid shit than non-Buddhists—being skillful in our actions of body, speech, and mind is something we have to work at. That said, an objective look at the Buddha's discourses in the Pali Canon shows that there's absolutely no scriptural basis for violence or violent behavior whatsoever; and much of the justifications for the use of violence by people in predominately Buddhist countries is either secular in nature or influenced by ideas foreign to Buddhism proper. Besides arguing against the ultimate futility of violence, I think the best we can do is lead by example, striving to be good people and solving our problems with as much loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity as possible.
    lobster

And you have fallen into the same trap of, "My religion is better than your religion."

And the trap of -- two wrongs don't make a right. People of another religion doing wrong things does not make Buddhists doing wrong things alright.

lobsterVictoriousJeffrey
  • In my country, 60% to 70% people think they are Buddhists but unfortunately the majority of them know very little about Buddhism. They treat Buddha like a God. They only go to the pagoda once a year at the new year festival to pray for prosperity for the new year. They are aware vaguely that being a good Buddhist mean you don't kill, you are not greedy and you refrain from being angry. But they only use this knowledge to scrutinize real Buddhists, monks, nuns.

I think the situation there is probably similar to Myanmar. Because they are born in a Buddhist home, they think they are Buddhists.

Also, I don't like name calling of media such as Islamic terrorists, Buddhist fanatics... They use these nasty inflammatory words in order to sell newspapers! If you are a real Buddhist fanatic, you will spend all your waking hours to meditate.
    @cvalue...difficult to judge other people's paths and what they believe inside.
  • If you believe in what the buddha said, but you are not practicing (no effort to cultivate wholesome states, or to follow the eight-fold path), could you be called a buddhist?
    I'd say no, and if these attackers were buddhists, then I'd like to know what their practice consisted of.
  • I don't care if they call themselves Buddhists. That is just words. I care if they stop the violence.
    riverflowVictorious
    @marteen, after reading your posts over the last several months, I've decided you are not a Buddhist.

Now, how does that go down with you?

Are you thinking, well who is vinlyn to decide whether or not I am a Buddhist? Who gave him any authority to decide that?

That's exactly my point. I have no authority to decide that. You have no authority to decide if someone in Burma is a Buddhist.

Now, in the Catholic Church, there is someone who can make such decisions. Someone who can excommunicate you. But even then, it's left up to a particularly authority.

How much of the Eightfold Path (since you brought it up) does one have to not follow to not be a Buddhist?

Now if you said, "They're not operating based on Buddhist principles," then I'd say, "Okay, that's true."

Now, I accept you are a Buddhist because you say you're a Buddhist. Even when I do not agree with you about a Buddhist principle, I still assume you're a Buddhist.
    MaryAnneoceancaldera207
  • hermitwin said:

The ugly side of Buddhists. What can you do to stop the spread Buddhist violence?
    How can we explain to people that violence is the oppposite
    of Buddha's teachings?

"ONE popular view of Buddhism is of a peaceable religion, some of whose devotees sweep brushes in front of them, so that they do not step on and destroy any living creature. Unfortunately there is another, far from placid side to some Buddhists which the Muslim world has had cause to see in recent years.
    The genocidal attacks in Myanmar on the luckless Muslim Rohingya community by Buddhist fanatics was, until this week, the most high profile example of this bigotry. Now however Buddhist thugs have been at work in Sri Lanka. A mosque in the capital Colombo has been damaged and forced to close after violent attacks by Buddhist rioters."

I suppose you can stop that by not calling those people Buddhists.

cvalue
  • Hi @vinlyn,
    after reading your posts over the last several months, I've decided you are not a Buddhist. Now, how does that go down with you?
    Well, I don't see any arguments, so I have little or no reaction. If you'd tell me why you think I'm not a buddhist, and if I would agree with you, it would probably make me think. I really don't care though who is considered a buddhist and who isn't. I just wish for people to bring out the best qualities in themselves (for their own happiness, and of others).

Does it upset you when I say that a non-practicing buddhist is not really a buddhist? If someone calls themself an athlete, but never practices, then they might give themself this label (I don't mind), but I would not agree with them. No big deal. Now if there were a newspaper article saying that athletes are about as healthy as everyone else, and it turned out that that "athletes" in this case includes people who never practice sports, I would make a similar remark.
    How much of the Eightfold Path (since you brought it up) does one have to not follow to not be a Buddhist?
    I think that's impossible to say, just as it is impossible to define the dividing line between a mountain and a hill. Still it makes sense to talk about mountains and hills, and everyone would agree that Kilimanjaro is a mountain and a 50 meter high hill could not be called a mountain.

Best regards,
    Maarten
    TheEccentriccvalueJeffrey