Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the greatest thing anyone has ever done for you?

And why do you consider it the greatest?

Comments

• My parents gave me the opportunity for awakening. :thumbsup:

Do you mean like a Guru @misterCope?
    http://www.lorinroche.com/gurus/gurus/god.html

Why don't you share too?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Thanks mum.
    lobster
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Linked me Ajahn Jayasaro's youtube meditation series.
    lobster
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    @lobster, I mean anyone at all. I just thought it might be nice to cultivate a little gratitude. :) I will share, I just need to think of who and what it might be.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    The greatest? That's a hard one. I have learned to feel and show gratitude
    for the many small things, everyday...by all sorts of people. Instead of the
    greatest...how about the latest?

Gratitude to my friend Jeanette....AKA...crochet lady. She's my
    partner in community service and is always motivating me. She
    inspires me to no end.

Upon return from his travels....Riverflow
    brought goodies for everyone. And I'm not talking a state
    magnet....lololol.
    I love stationary, and he brought me back a box of beautiful note cards, with
    a delicate cut out of a bicycle with a basket on the front. The light shines
    through, and the shadow of the bike can be seen as you open it. Gorgeous!

Gratitude for our platform for learning here at NB!

Gratitude for my breath this very moment. ........ :)

OK....the greatest...the person who taught me Lamaze. lololol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamaze_technique
    riverflowmisterCope
  • My parents taught me that happiness was not to be found in material possessions.
    VastmindriverflowmisterCope
  • My parents helping me when I was mentally ill. I live with my mom. Also my guru who is like a spiritual mom; she is a wise woman.
    riverflowmisterCopeStraight_ManTheEccentric
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

It's all who led me to here.

riverflowmisterCopeStraight_Man
  • Vastmind said:

OK....the greatest...the person who taught me Lamaze. lololol

Mindulness breathing! :nyah:
  • My parents. Not for giving birth to me, but rather for raising me. As I get older I appreciate and value more the provisions for life they have given me for my own travels in life. They have taught me by word and by deed, and often taught me when they didn't know they were teaching me. My gratitude for them grows every day....
    misterCopeJeffrey
    I think it would have to be my two best friends. Because of them, I believed that people are genuinely connected long before I ever stumbled across Buddhism.
    riverflowStraight_Man
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I suppose it wouldn't be appropriate to list sexual favors.
    TheEccentricmisterCopelobster
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Is it wrong to struggle to find an answer to that question? Perhaps I fail to recognise what others do for me.

It seems I spend my life going out of my way to help others and make their lives easier, far more giving than taking. I believe I am where I am today and have what I have because of who I am and the hard work and determination I have. There's very little actually that I can pinpoint where someone has gone out of their way to help me. This makes me a little sad to be honest because I don't know if that is a reflection on me or just the way my life is.

The one thing I can think of is my gratitude to my employer for continuing to pay me when I had to take time off work due to serious ill health. I'd only been there for 3 months before ending up in hospital for over 3 weeks and having a further 4-5 weeks off at home. They didn't have to do anything for me and I wasn't entitled to anything. 5 years later I'm still there and have no plans to work anywhere else.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Nothing. Whenever somebody did nothing for me it forced me to grow and fill in the missing pieces.

Now I know for true that I can acomplish anything on my own.

/Victor
    Hmm.
    Tosh
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited August 2013
    what is the greatest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Im sat here genuinly trying to think of someone and something that I could write.. Im finding this really hard.

I guess this could only mean either some people are more lucky than others OR ive got a bad memory beause i honestly cant think of anyone who has done something GREAT for me..

Dont get me wrong, im sure people have been kind towards me here and there, but to think of the GREATEST thing someone has done for me is hard.. (Genuinly)

This has really effected me if im being honest. Ive never been asked a question that has had an effect like this.. Im going to have a good deep think and ill get back here soon.
    lobstermisterCope
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Loved me for who I am, assets and faults, and accepted me no matter what. Thankfully, I have not only my parents and my sister, but much of my family and many close friends and my husband and children who do this for me every day. No matter how hard I am on myself, they aren't. And it has taught me more about how to love myself and have compassion for myself than anything I could learn in a book.
    riverflowmisterCope
    Wow. So many of these comments are truly beautiful and humbling. I'm so grateful to everyone for sharing!
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Hmm.

Well let me give you an example. When an infant is learning to crawl and a toy has fallen out of reach. She cries and her parents give her the toy.

Or.. when a toy has fallen outside her range and she cries but her parents persevere the agony of not giving her the toy. In the end she learns to crawl to get the toy.

These moments have been the greatest gifts. At those times my parents, teachers and senseis thaught me to rely on myself, trust my own ability and depend on my own judgment.

/Victor