Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Denying the sacred

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited August 2013 in General Banter
Every religion has something sacred in it - god, soul, spirit, heaven, etc. Buddhism does not care for any of this; it does not affirm anything sacred or divine, everything is mundane. Even the highest goal like nibbana is defined negatively in material terms, and not as a sacred thing. Does this make Buddhism unique, yes. But it baffles people, since it makes Buddhism appear like a form of materialism.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @betaboy -- Just a suggestion: Don't worry about "people" -- pay attention to what you actually can know and correct. Things won't be so baffling that way.
    lobsterriverflow
  • in Buddhism EVERYTHING is sacred... mindfulness is learning to see the sacredness of every little detail of our lives... this is my view anyway.
    riverflowMaryAnneKundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    betaboy said:

Every religion has something sacred in it - god, soul, spirit, heaven, etc. Buddhism does not care for any of this; it does not affirm anything sacred or divine, everything is mundane. Even the highest goal like nibbana is defined negatively in material terms, and not as a sacred thing. Does this make Buddhism unique, yes. But it baffles people, since it makes Buddhism appear like a form of materialism.

I don't think you get around enough. You certainly don't say this from a perspective of Buddhism in much of the East.

riverflow
  • Sacred - I bow.
    Mundane - I bow.

Samsara - how wonderful
    Nirvana - how wonderful

:clap:
    riverflowmfranzdorfzenffKundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think you are wrong @betaboy. I think a closer inspection will show that in Buddhadharma nothing is mundane.
    riverflow
  • From all of our actions we create karma. This is not just a concept, it is happening right now.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    betaboy said:

If you believe this, then you are just as "ignorant" about Buddhism as all these 'people' you mention.....
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

From all of our actions we create karma. This is not just a concept, it is happening right now.

Thats needs qualifying @Jeffrey.
    Our actions ARE karma.Thats what karma means.
    From our actions come consequences, these are the fruit of karma. Karma-vipaka.
    Karma -vipaka can be experienced as positive, negative, or neutral.
    Much of karma results in vipaka that is from the subjective pov, neutral.
    Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    betaboy said:

It's only perspective which separates the divine from the mundane. For me, Buddhism has rendered both words meaningless because it is either all divine or it is all mundane and it doesn't really matter which.

• federica said:

betaboy said:

If you believe this, then you are just as "ignorant" about Buddhism as all these 'people' you mention.....
    How so? Does Buddhism have anything sacred, like gods, angels, heaven, etc.?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013

Buddhist sacredness can be specific, everything or nothing at all.
    I find Buddhism more useful as a practice
    than as a personal definition.

Citta