Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you intend to die?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited August 2013 in General Banter
As far as I know, all of us are going to die. Our hope, our stories, the fantasies of good people telling tales of heaven or future reassembling of consciousness is not likely. Do we cling to it?

For me this acceptance of death makes samsara and enlightenment a priority. It makes practice a priority. If you have a better plan or know of one, what is it?
karmablues

Comments

• I don't plan on it, but know it will happen.
    All I know is what little I've learned, and that's to do my best to not harm and only help.
    It's much easier said than done at times. But this life is a challenge at times, and to see if we can "stand up" to the challenge and learn from it to help others through similar situations is the only thing I "plan" on doing.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I won't die because as soon as there is death, I will be gone.

I am ready for death but I plan to live.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Using death as an overt or covert inspiration/threat strikes me as a poor man's spiritual path... asserting with vigor what it claims to want to transcend.

Just practice and let death take care of itself.
    NevermindJeffrey
  • I_AM_THATI_AM_THAT Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Time, is one of if not the biggest delusion that man has. See the impermanence in all things and live each moment fully.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Time might be an illusion. But death still happens and the knowledge of that can concentrate the mind like little else if properly internalised.
    karmablues
  • GuiGui Veteran
    The only knowledge I have of death is that my body will cease to function as my body. Anything else is pure conjecture on my part and will lead to suffering.
    MaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "If you are afraid of death, of nothingness, of non-being, you have wrong perceptions. The French scientist Lavoisier observed reality around him and come to the conclusion “Rien ne se cree, rien ne se perd,” (there is no birth, there is no death).

When you look at a cloud, you are sure the cloud exists because you can see it. Later on when the cloud becomes the rain, you do not see the cloud anymore, and you say the cloud is not there. You would describe the cloud as non-being. But if you look deeply enough, you can see the cloud exists in the rain. It is impossible for a cloud to die. A cloud can become rain, snow or ice, but a cloud cannot become nothing.

For everything, there is a transformation, there is a continuation. This is as true for human bodies as it is for clouds. You cannot suddenly change from “someone” to “no one.”

The notion of death cannot apply to reality whether to a cloud or a human being.

The Buddha did not die, the Buddha continued through his Sangha and through his Dharma . That is why ideas like being born, dying, coming and going, being and non-being can be removed by the practice of looking deeply. When you remove these notions you are free and unafraid." ~Thich Nhat Hann

Do I intend to die? I don't know! :lol:
    JeffreyDandelion
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Life And Death

Life, death, - death, life; the words have led for ages
    Our thought and consciousness and firmly seemed
    Two opposites; but now long-hidden pages
    Are opened, liberating truths undreamed.
    Life only is, or death is life disguised, -
    Life a short death until by Life we are surprised.
    -Sri Aurobindo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I intend to practice until I die.
    Cittakarmablueslobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' I am not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens '

Woody Allen.
    GuiDandelionlobster
  • Why is heaven not likely? Are you scientific materialist?
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Why is heaven not likely? Are you scientific materialist?

:p Maybe he or she is a Buddhist.
  • I'm sure a Buddhist. I just don't understand how someone would not be agnostic about heaven. It's unknowable. There isn't evidence for or against.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran

A really great 'documentary' about how to live forever hehe!
    :D

Joking aside, I think about death far too much. A little less death, and a little more living in the here and now is what I need to focus on.
    lobster
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I just don't understand how someone would not be agnostic about heaven. It's unknowable. There isn't evidence for or against.

:p Maybe Christians are not agnostic about heaven.
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I have no fear of death and accept that the how and when are beyond my control. I genuinely would like to live forever and see how the world unfolds but am content to take life day-by-day and make the most of it.

I find myself frustrated at times by other peoples inability to make the most of the here and now. People plan for good things happening in the future, put things off until another day, waiting for 'the right time' to come along but don't live for today. Life is too short. I suppose one must accept that each person is entitled to live their life their own way, whether it be good, bad or indifferent.
    Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Gui wrote
    Life And Death

Life, death, - death, life; the words have led for ages
    Our thought and consciousness and firmly seemed
    Two opposites; but now long-hidden pages
    Are opened, liberating truths undreamed.
    Life only is, or death is life disguised, -
    Life a short death until by Life we are surprised.
    -Sri Aurobindo
    The Zen Buddhist Christmas Humphreys once wrote, approximately, "Life and death are not opposites. The opposite of death is birth. The opposite of life is form."
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Reflect on that!
    good post @karmablues !

So good....the thread should now be moved to 'Meditation'. haha
  • Thanks, @Vastmind. There is a similar daily contemplation practice for Theravada monks which is condensed into five contemplations rather than nine. I couldn't find a good article explaining that but stumbled on the nine contemplations by Joan Halifax Roshi instead which I think covers all the important points.

I also stumbled on an article by Dr. Alima Sherman, a psychotherapist who works with the terminally ill. She attended an eight day Zen retreat called "Being with the Dying: A Professional Training Program with Roshi Joan Halifax and others" at the Upaya Zen Center and did the nine contemplations exercise and tells how it changed her as follows:
    I just returned from an eight day Zen retreat on Death and Dying--a professional training for doctors, nurses, social workers, and spiritual directors. Not being in any of the above professions, I found myself asking the question whether I would fit into the retreat. Since I do not work at a hospice nor in a hospital setting, why, I wondered, was I here? I convinced myself that this question would hopefully get answered during the week ahead.

The morning meditations and dharma talks emphasized letting go of the mind and allowing ourselves to become fully present. In this state, we could bear witness, not attempting to do anything such as give direction or advice, but to sit and observe in an awakened state of receptivity and compassion--a place of not knowing. I thought back on my experience with patients dying of AIDS when I had been fearful and anxious, avoiding them during their final days at home. I felt inadequate, certain that there was something that I was supposed to do or say to someone dying. I had to be the expert.

On the fourth morning, the Roshi took us through a morning practice, referred to as the Nine Contemplations of Atisha--a guided meditation on the nine doorways that teach about the nature of death and dying. Her only instructions were to listen serenely and openly and consider deeply what is said. I sat with my legs folded under me with my hands resting on my knees and my eyes looking downward. To my shock, we were going through the stages of our own dying. I remember her saying, "death is inevitable for all living beings. The time of our death is unknown. Material objects cannot help us. What can we do to prepare? What can we do to strengthen this awareness and our capacity to release? What can we do to make it more possible for us to be really present for another who is facing the loss of everything at the moment of their death?"

All my self doubt, all my training as a clinical psychologist, all my belief of separateness between myself and others suddenly fell away. The meditation broke my heart. It was like dropping a fine crystal on cement--a shattering of conceptual knowing into a thousand broken pieces. A lifetime of defining myself, of closing my heart so tight that it struggled to feel, a routine of comfort and predictability in things....all gone. In its place was a new ache, a new tenderness--an ocean of tears that I had carefully walled off now flooded me. I grieved at last, for the loss of friends and patients to AIDS and cancer, for my father's early death, and for the loss of myself through years of detached clinical interpretations that had robbed my work of compassion.

Later that night, a friend took me out into the night to see the incredible Santa Fe sky, full of stars and a crescent moon. She told me of a saying her Rabbi had told her---"only through a broken heart can there be wholeness." A wholeness of heart, unprotected and loving, finally able to truly bear witness to dying and to life. I knew why I had come; to remember whom I was before I closed my heart. I now held this new tenderness with great reverence, wondering if I would need to start a daily practice to keep my heart open? Of course! Would I need to be open about my experience, feeling exposed as never before...peeling back layers of professional distance and attempting to sit with this discomfort? Of course! Would I stop working with terminal illness and avoid moments where I am not an expert? Hopefully, I would not!

I will try to remember and practice the contemplative approach to being with dying: not knowing, simply allowing the truth of each situation to inform me; bearing witness, welcoming everything, and practicing fearless receptivity and compassionate action, bringing the work forward through the practice of mindful presence. On my return to Los Angeles, I signed up to volunteer at a local hospital on the oncology floor to be a companion to patients wanting someone to listen.

The retreat mentioned in this article is Being with the Dying: A Professional Training Program with Roshi Joan Halifax and others-Upaya Zen Center, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
    pegembara
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited August 2013
    My take on death is this. We believe that we are inside and everything else is outside. Our bodies are what we have to sense the outside and our minds are what we have to perceive and interpret and find meanings of these sensations. It's like we have all these windows to the outside and they start out as clear windows but as we grow older they get smudged, some become filthy and most of them we paint pretty colors. Whereas realizations and strong practice may clean the windows, death removes the inside entirely. We are then just outside. We are the outside. No big deal really. What we hold onto so dearly as the inside is just looking through windows.
    wrathfuldeity
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    DO YOU INTEND TO DIE?
    Is meditation not just a preview of death's kiss?.
    Does that moment contain something that any other moment doesn't?
    When does training for training's sake....become it's own inertia?

• how said:

Is meditation not just a preview of death's kiss?
    Does that moment contain something that any other moment doesn't?
    When does training for training's sake....become it's own inertia?

The Sufis say 'die before you die'. In that sense, letting go of the arising of separation, if possible is a 'preview'. No self? Dead.
    Full of it? Very much alive.
    Your second question is right to ask, impossible to answer. What would a corpse say?
    One does not have to train a corpse. Is there any movement? :)
  • yes...die before you die...then you don't die...you are gratefully deceased
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    lobster said:

As far as I know, all of us are going to die. Our hope, our stories, the fantasies of good people telling tales of heaven or future reassembling of consciousness is not likely. Do we cling to it?

For me this acceptance of death makes samsara and enlightenment a priority. It makes practice a priority. If you have a better plan or know of one, what is it?

Death is no mystery; the definition can be found in Wikipedia !
    Death is the cessation of all biological functions that sustain a particular living organism.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death
    When I die – the way I see it – the story of my life is over.
    In line with that notion - for me - the goal of practice is to figure out what “enlightened life” is and live it to the best of my ability in this one lifetime.

“Dying now” is transcending the story of my life before it is over. Not identifying with the story. It is the “death” of realizing emptiness, like it says in the Diamond Sutra:
    So you should view this fleeting world --
    A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
    A flash of lightening in a summer cloud,
    A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
    That’s the Great Death; the one that matters.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Life post mortem.?..I'm dying to find out.
  • Don't hold your breath . . .
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    I do not intend to die no. I was hoping to dissolve my selfillusion this life.

Need to kick out my children first though. They keep getting in the way of cultivation all the time. What are they thinking those small rascals?

/Victor :)
    Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    genkaku said:

The Zen Buddhist Christmas Humphreys once wrote, approximately, ".....The opposite of life is form."

What you think he meant by that? Form in the Buddhist sense of rupa?
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Well, yes, I do intend to die. I've accepted this a long time ago. I do not fear death (on the other hand, I do fear *how* I will die, that is an important distinction) but truth be told, I am so very curious to know what death is like. When I fade away there will be no fear, just eagerness I guess.

Not that I have a deathwish or anything, don't get the wrong idea. I intend to live all of my natural born days as well as I can. But from my point of view, Death is life's final, yet greatest adventure.
    DandelionKundoJeffrey
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    In life there is only one sure thing, we must die. So, isn't it better to live life to fulfill our duty to others, then to wait for the last minute and have no time to do so?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Nope! I plan on living forever and ever! :D

In all seriousness, I think of death as simply a natural part of life. One that we should neither fear nor desire. When it happens, it happens. It is simply us moving from one state of being into another. Yin and Yang.

That being said, do I believe this next state of being is non-existence? How should I know? I'm not dead.
    Jeffrey
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Dude you are and this place is what happens after (the previous) Death. :D
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Dude you are and this place is what happens after (the previous) Death. :D

Welcome to Ashes to Ashes. Gene Hunt will be with you shortly ;)

lobsterCitta
  • Yes I am afraid to die but I will try to take refuge through that experience. When I used to have nightmares say of being dissected when I was still alive I would always pretend that the dissector was Jesus and he was benevolent. I lucid dreamed these dreams. I haven't lucid dreamed in a long time.

So I am not afraid to go on my journey though I will miss all the kitty whiskers, cookies, loved ones, and our house. But I am afraid to die. I can see this when I try to hold my breath and the distress the body goes in. I had my cut foot cleaned out and that was a lot of pain. I hope my body is faithful and releases endorphins. Perhaps in hospice with morphine.
  • lobster said:

Since we have to die, live right lest people rejoice when we leave.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    DaftChris said:

That being said, do I believe this next state of being is non-existence? How should I know? I'm not dead.

You're right, none of us know. Though in the suttas the Buddha did reject the annihilationist position, the belief that death is final extinction.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Nope! I plan on living forever and ever! :D

In all seriousness, I think of death as simply a natural part of life. One that we should neither fear nor desire. When it happens, it happens. It is simply us moving from one state of being into another. Yin and Yang.

From a Vajrayana pov not being dead is a technicality .
    As is well known Vajrayana teaches that after death we enter a Bardo state.
    What is less well known is that Vajrayana posits the existence of six Bardos, and that three of these are experienced before death.
    They are, this present waking life, the dream state, and Jnanic absorption.
    So this very life is a Bardo. No more and no less 'real' than any after death state.