Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2 Questions On Meditation

As some of you may be aware I am re-reading the book 'The Way It Is' and some of you may also be aware my meditation practice over the past 5-6 years has been slack to say the least. However I have recently had some inspiration to just sit and let whatever may happen happen as apposed to viewing it as a task to be done with all kinds of striving and toil.

My first question is about emptiness, I read a passage not long ago and then meditated on it, it really helped with my sittings. It reads:
'The space around thought - we don't notice that very much, do we? It is just like the space in this room, I have to call your attention to it. Now what does it take to be aware of the space in this room? You have to be alert. With the objects in the room you don't have to be alert, you can just be attracted or repelled: 'I don't like that, I like this.' You can just react to the quality of beauty and ugliness, whether it pleases or displeases you. It's our habit, isn't it? Our life tends to be reaction to pleasure and pain, beauty and ugliness. So we see beauty and we say, 'Oh, look at that! Isn't it absolutely fantastic?' or think 'Oh, disgusting!'
But beautiful objects and the ugly ones are all in the space and to notice space you withdraw your attention from the objects of beauty and ugliness. Of course they're still there, you needn't throw them out; you don't have to tear down the building so that we can have space here. But if you don't concentrate with love or hate on what's in the room, if you don't make anything of it, your attention withdraws from the objects and you notice the space.
So we have a perspective on space in a room like this. You can reflect on that. Anyone can come and go in this space. The most beautiful, the most ugly, saint and sinner, can come and go in this space and the space is never harmed or ruined or destroyed by the objects that come and go in this space.
The mind works on the same principle. But if you're not used to seeing the spaciousness of your mind, you are not aware of the space that the mind really is. So you're unaware of the emptiness of the mind because you're always attache to an idea or an opinion or mood.'

This I understood very well and thought it happened to be one of the best ways to explain how emptiness can be realised in the mind. I meditated on it and as things arouse I tried to be indifferent to them and made a sign in my mind when that thought ceased, just as Ajahn Sumedho spoke about. I saw a space of nothing in between that thought and the next, sometimes it was short and sometimes it was longer. The next thought sometimes was connected to the previous one and sometimes it was not, other times it was just being reminded of the breath which in itself is a thought, not emptiness I would assume. My question is where to go from there, how to build on this way of practice?

My second questions will take far less of your time to whoever may be reading this and it more opinion based. I have ordered a 108 jade bead mala necklace for meditation seeing as I have noticed how I have been stuck in a rut for at least the past 4 months, maybe half of a year, and would like to delve back into meditation. I have already had positive outcomes but I am fully aware that these should be let go just as they arouse in experience. What are your experiences if any with meditation mala and how do you specifically use them?
lobsterCittakarmabluesJeffrey

Comments

• @taiyaki has provided an excellent answer to your first question. Interestingly the insights you are experiencing can be read about or understood. The understanding comes at a deeper level than intellectual knowing. So bravo . . . a shift seems to be occurring, very inspiring . . . :clap:

Malas:
    I find them an excellent, integrated and relaxed way of counting mantras, prostrations or breaths. I have a feeling you intend mantra but do try other counting . . .
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/57234975984/buddhist-mantra-faqs

I would suggest that mala use combined with a simple meditation practice will provide a solid base of practice. One other tool is recording and feedback. You can keep a meditation journal, just let us know how you are getting on etc . . .

How Wonderful.

:)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    @ThailandTom I would suggest that the last thing you need right now is a mala. It will simply become a means of suppression. After six weeks it will gather dust alongside the half read books.
    I suggest that you find an experienced English speaking meditation teacher from a recognised Buddhist lineage..and listen.
    Jainarayan
  • @taiyaki thanks for the info mate, I will refer back to it in the future for sure.

@lobster I have ordered my mala and will look up on that link and into what you have already said.

@Citta a means of suppression? The books I have Buddhist related have all been read and re-read, I have had a wrist mala before bust it broke, this is a necklace mala, jade. I have been meditating recently on this point of emptiness, bringing a question into the front view and seeing where it goes, seeing the space around things, but I have found that my current wrist bracelet I have I used as a kind of mala in a way as it has beads, it has helped at times. But when I get into some specific states of mind I see the counter stops and then I come back to it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Mantra practice without a degree of already existing absorption and concentration invariably becomes a means of suppressing thoughts and feelings instead of bringing them into the light of awareness.
    Mantra is not a practice for those without established stillness of mind.
    Aquaintance with your posts over the last year suggests that stillness of mind is not something you would claim.
    Mantrams are not magic. They are tools that need to be used properly, rather than as distractions.

Go to a flesh and blood teacher is my advice.
    But of course no one can learn from the experience of others..
    Let us know how it goes ?

Be well.

_/\_

Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Just to add @taiyaki 's advice about attention and focus bear the unmistakable stamp of experience. They are well worth pondering.
  • Citta said:

@ThailandTom I would suggest that the last thing you need right now is a mala. It will simply become a means of suppression. After six weeks it will gather dust alongside the half read books.
    I suggest that you find an experienced English speaking meditation teacher from a recognised Buddhist lineage..and listen.

Fwiw, I actually find a mālā to be distracting. I can get into a meditation on a mantra more deeply without thinking about what my fingers are doing. I'm not initiated or empowered into anything, so I'm under no obligation to chant or recite a set number of repetitions. I don't know if the same holds true in Buddhism, but it does in Hinduism; that is, it won't hurt and it's no offense to use a mālā but for those not initiated or empowered, it's not a requirement.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    For the wrong person at the wrong time the mantram itself is a distraction from simple awareness.
    Jainarayan
  • Just to add to Ajahn Sumedho's talks which i personally like very much.
    When you are patient, allowing things to cease, then you begin to know cessation -- silence, emptiness, clarity -- the mind clears, stillness. The mind is still vibrant, it's not oblivious, repressed or asleep, and you can hear the silence of the mind.
    To allow cessation means that we have to be very kind, very gentle and patient, humble, not taking sides with anything, the good, the bad, the pleasure, or the pain. Gentle recognition allows things to change according to their nature, without interfering. So then we learn to turn away from seeking absorption into the objects of the senses. We find our peace in the emptiness of the mind, in its clarity, in its silence.
    When your mind is quiet, listen, and you can hear that vibrational sound in the mind -- 'the sound of silence'. What is it? Is it an ear sound, or is it an outward sound? Is it the sound of the mind or the sound of the nervous system, or what? Whatever it is, it's always there, and it can be used in meditation as something to turn toward.

Recognising that all that arises passes away, we begin to look at that which doesn't arise or pass, and is always there. If you start trying to think about that sound, have a name for it, or claim any kind of attainments from it, then of course you are using it in the wrong way. It's merely a standard to refer to when you've reached the limit of the mind, and the end of the mind as far as we can observe it. So from that position you can begin to watch.
    karmabluesThailandTom
  • The world, body, and mind appear as sensations, feelings and thoughts. These appearances are all arisings in awareness. The person does not see these arisings. Rather, the person is made up out of these arisings, including the supposed act of seeing. If these arisings are investigated, it can be seen that they do not reach outside themselves. They cannot point to each other, touch each other or contain each other. It is only memory that suggests that there has ever been another arising. But memory itself is nothing more than an arising. It cannot truly point backwards or forwards to anything, for during this apparent pointing, there are no objects to be pointed to. There is truly nothing in experience that establishes that there has ever been anything other than THIS. There is no evidence that there were ever even two arisings. If there cannot be two arisings, how can there be even one? What is left?

Dr. Greg Goode
    Cittataiyaki
  • @Thailand Tom, I think you may pass me, your meditation sounds like you are doing extremely well. I also like emptiness as space.

Is space limited? Around you top bottom left right straight back. Is there a limit to how far space goes?

But then is it unlimited forever?
  • My question is where to go from there, how to build on this way of practice?

I have this book also, it's a great read. I think you needn't look elsewhere for the answer to your question - most of it is found in the same transcript of Ajahn Sumedho's talk.

Firstly, I think you're just suppose to keep doing what you describe, i.e. noting the spaciousness of your mind until you become proficient in it. This exercise will help you see how it is through becoming unattached to conditions that arise in the mind, that will allow us to see the true nature of things. For example, by not following thoughts that appear in the mind, we find the emptiness of the mind. So we see the importance of being unattached to conditions of the mind and we practice this skill.

Ajahn Sumedho said:
    But the beautiful objects and the ugly ones are all in the space and to notice space you withdraw your attention from the objects of beauty and ugliness. Of course they're still there, you needn't throw them out; you don't have to tear down the building so that we can have a space here. But if you don't concentrate with love or hate on what's in that room, if you don't make anything out of it, your attention withdraws from the objects and you notice the space.

So we have a perspective on space in a room like this. You can reflect on that. Anyone can come and go in this space. The most beautiful, the most ugly, saint and sinner, can come and go in this space and the space is never harmed or ruined or destroyed by the objects that come and go in this space.

The mind works on the same principle. But if you're not used to seeing the spaciousness of your mind, you are not aware of the space that the mind really is. So you're unaware of the emptiness of the mind, because you're always attached to an idea or an opinion or mood.
    Secondly, once you have developed the skill of being unattached to conditions of the mind, you should also note how everything that appears in the empty mind also ceases there. Even the perception of "I am" should be seen as such, ie. something that arises and ceases in the empty mind.

Ajahn Sumedho points to this as follows:
    So the 'I am' is just a perception really - it arises in the mind and it ceases in the mind. When it ceases, note that cessation of thought. Make that cessation, that empty mind, a 'sign' rather than just creating more things in the emptiness.... you're using the wisdom faculty to note where everything ceases.
    And why is it important to note where everything ceases?

Ajahn Sumedho explains that:
    In contemplating the Four Noble Truths, you have the truth of suffering; its arising; its cessation and then the Path. You can't know the Path and the way out of suffering until you are aware of where everything ceases - in the mind itself.
    Therefore, you should investigate further to see how all the aggregrates arise and cease in the empty mind. This is to lead to the realisation that all of them - even the body - is a something that arises and ceases in the mind.

In the words of Ajahn Sumedho:
    With insight meditation you're reflecting on the five khandhas - on the body, feelings, perception, mind formations and sense consciousness. We may want to get rid of them, but that is another condition, another sankhara that we create. So we investigate them until they no longer delude us, and allow them to cease in the empty mind. When you think 'My body's still here - how does it cease? It's still here, isn't it?'......

What happened to Napoleon? What happened to the Queen of Sheba? And Confucius and Lao Tzu and Marie Antoinette, Beethoven and Bach? They're memories in our minds; they're just perceptions in people's minds now. But that's all they ever were anyway, even when their bodies were alive!

'Venerable Sumedho' is a perception in the mind - in my mind it's a perception, in your mind it's a perception. Right now the perception of it is, 'Venerable Sumedho is alive and kicking.' When the body dies then the perception changes to, 'Venerable Sumedho is dead.' That's all, isn't it? The perception of death is there along with the name Sumedho, where now it is alive and kicking. So as you experience it, the body is a perception in the mind that arises - and ceases in the empty mind.
    So we see that the nature of the aggregates is something that we have to investigate in the empty mind, the place where they arise and cease, and to do so in an unattached way so that we can see their true nature and free ourselves from being deluded by them.

Seeing how the aggregates arise and cease in the mind would already point to their impermanent nature and thereby also their unsatisfactoriness (dukkha). Furthermore, you can also reflect on the fact that any objects/conditions that arise and cease in the mind are simply that ie. objects/conditions that arise and cease in that empty space. They come and go in that empty space being just momentary conditions of the mind that are empty of self, ie. they are not "you" or "yours".

That's why Ajahn Sumedho said:
    And yet when the mind is empty, the senses are still all right. It's not like being in a trance, totally oblivious to everything; your mind is open, empty - or you might call it whole, complete, bright. Then you can take anything: ...like a fearful thought. You can take that and deliberately think it and see it as just another condition of the mind, rather than as a psychological problem. It arises, it ceases; there's nothing in it, nothing in any thought. It's just a movement in the mind and therefore it's not a person. You make it personal by attaching to it, believing it.
    In another transcript of one of his talks in the same book, Ajahn Sumedho also points out that:
    As you look carefully, very patiently and humbly, you begin to see that the created arises out of the Uncreated and goes back to the Uncreated, it disappears and there is nothing left. And if it was really you and really yours, it would stay, wouldn't it? If it was really yours where would it go, to some kind of storehouse of personality? But that concept and whatever you conceive, is a condition that arises and passes away. Any time you try to conceive yourself, any concept or memory of yourself as this or that is only a condition of your mind. It's not what you are - you're not a condition of your mind. So, sorrow, despair, love and happiness, are all conditions of mind and they are all not-self.
    ThailandTompegembara
  • Thank you very much for your time and effort here to help me on this subject @karmablues. I have read this book I think twice before but it was a while ago and before I have a different outlook on my practice (well each day our outlook changes I guess), but you get the picture. I am still reading it so will soak up the words and what is said here and carry on :)
    karmablues
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @ThailandTom hanks for sharing the passage about the emptiness of the room. I found it interesting, and helpful :)
    ThailandTom
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

My question is where to go from there, how to build on this way of practice?

What are your experiences if any with meditation mala and how do you specifically use them?

I think the approach in "The way it is" is based on a full and wholehearted acceptance of the way things are, and how you are. You could say it's a way of being mindful. This is easier said than done, because habitually the tendency is not to fully accept the way things are, particularly when there's suffering involved.

I used to use a mala for counting accumulations, ie mantra repetitions.

Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    ' Counting accumulations ' suggests to me @Spiny Norman that your mantra practice was part of a formal process like Ngondro, rather than whimsical.
    Citta said:

' Counting accumulations ' suggests to me @Spiny Norman that your mantra practice was part of a formal process like Ngondro, rather than whimsical.

Yes, Ngondro, 100,000 of this and 100,000 of that. I got about a third through and then realised I wouldn't live long enough to finish it at the rate I was going.
    ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    It took someone I know rather well about 8 years...
    Citta said:

It took someone I know rather well about 8 years...

In hindsight I don't think the practice was explained to us atall well, and I knew other people were struggling with it too, feeling like it really wasn't going anywhere. Another practical problem I had was that I was spending so much time trying to do accumulations that I was neglecting my core samatha practice.