Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I need a little direction

Hello, I am new here and I am interested in learning and following Buddhist ideas. However I have no idea where to start. I have read things here and there and I am aware of Buddhism being more about the mind then the material world. But I need to know how my wife and I can practice it in our lives. Is there a Buddhism for dummies book or a general guide to get started? Our main goal is to reduce stress in our lives. We both have high stress jobs with long hours and commutes. While i realize that these things are not really worth stressing about (since we could be homeless and starving) we find it near impossible to just let go and just "be". I have enjoyed listening to books on tape by Jon Kabat-Zinn (founding director of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.) He has a nice way of explaining things but he seems to focus on mindfulness in the present moment, which is all fine and dandy but I believe that I am in need of something more in my life. Just mindfulness meditation is not enough. So could anyone point me in a direction?

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Start here: www.audiodharma.org - http://www.dharmaseed.org/ - http://buddhanet.net/ - Also, check out this book - Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind - http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Mind-Beginners-Shunryu-Suzuki/dp/1590308492 - What sect are you following? Have you been meditating long? Or at all? Give us a bit more about your practice and what your focus is.
  • There is indeed a Buddhism for Dummies that is where i started but it is a bit bland and doesn't rea;;y give buddhism its due credits. I would look at some youtube videos some things you could look at are the four noble truths, eightfold path any video by Ajahn Brahm will help Alan Watts is also good. If you want practical help look at some mindfulness techniques. Welcome to Buddhism come find me on here if you need anymore direction. All the best.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I disagree a little with Wisdom23. Start out bland...at sites that don't take a particular position, but that are very general. I would start on the Wikipedia page about Buddhism. It gives quite a good overview from a broad perspective.

Then I might go to places like:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org

and branch out from there.

I mean first, before you can really begin practice anything, you need to know what the various Buddhist sects stand for. Your practice will be very different if you go with Zen, Theravada, or Mahayana.
    DaltheJigsawcvalue
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    You could give this a go:http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/ Gil Fronsdal is I.m.o excellent to listen to. He explains things in a very accessible way. I like to listen to Buddhist talks when I'm pottering about at home, perfect for when you're quite busy, but want to learn.
    DaltheJigsawmisterCope
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There are different traditions within Buddhism and those within a tradition are most likely to recommend sources within their own tradition. I personally am a Tibetan Buddhist. I can say that the books that made the most difference as far as finding actual practices to put into play in my life were the following:

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (there are some Tibetan specific things in it but you don't need to pay much mind to them if you don't want to) By Sogyal Rinpoche

Anything by Thich Nhat Hahn. I found "Peace In Every Step" to be especially helpful as well as "The Heart of Buddha's Teaching." TNH is a Vietnamese Zen monk, but his words really apply to the heart of Buddhism in any tradition.

Most things by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. He was a Tibetan monk but had the most to do with spreading the Shambhala tradition to the western world. His books (the ones I have read) are excellent. Specifically "Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior" and "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism."

When you practice meditation for a long period of time (how long have you been practicing??) you generally will find that changes come automatically into your life, as you should find it easier to calm yourself because you know what calm is. More patience, more understanding, more compassion. More thinking through before being quick to react and go to emotional places. But it does take time, and regular, consistent practice.
    cvalue
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    I have posted something on the Theravada thread if you are interested. It is all online resources.
  • LeonBasin said:

Start here: www.audiodharma.org - http://www.dharmaseed.org/ - http://buddhanet.net/ - Also, check out this book - Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind - http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Mind-Beginners-Shunryu-Suzuki/dp/1590308492 - What sect are you following? Have you been meditating long? Or at all? Give us a bit more about your practice and what your focus is.

I am not following a particular sect mainly because I have no sense of what the differences are between them. I have been dabbling with meditation for a few years now off and on but with my fast paced life i tend to fall off the wagon so to speak. my knowledge and practice have mainly been with just meditation. Just being in the moment and letting myself relax. but that relaxation only lasts during meditation. afterwards my mind floods with worries and stresses. That's why i am looking for more than just the meditation. ( I actually have Zen mind, Beginners mind because it was mentioned during one of my audio books but i have yet to read it.

Do Mindfullness practise!

• Mainly what i would like is maybe a set of exercises my wife and i could practice weekly. say one week we could both talk about one part of the 8 fold path and work on understanding that. then maybe move on the another part and so on and so fourth. Obviously we would need to fully understand the 4 noble truths first. well i know the 4th one entails the 8 fold path but you get what i mean.... i hope. :)
    I will take a look at a few suggestions and talk with my wife about it.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    karmatib said:

Mainly what i would like is maybe a set of exercises my wife and i could practice weekly. say one week we could both talk about one part of the 8 fold path and work on understanding that. then maybe move on the another part and so on and so fourth. Obviously we would need to fully understand the 4 noble truths first. well i know the 4th one entails the 8 fold path but you get what i mean.... i hope. :)

How wonderful that you are embarking on this with your wife :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

IMHO To say mindfulness meditation is not enough is to not have practiced it ardently enough.
    Could you be specific as to what this "more" is that you seek?

Victoriouscvalue
    karmatib said:

Mainly what i would like is maybe a set of exercises my wife and i could practice weekly. say one week we could both talk about one part of the 8 fold path and work on understanding that. then maybe move on the another part and so on and so fourth. Obviously we would need to fully understand the 4 noble truths first. well i know the 4th one entails the 8 fold path but you get what i mean.... i hope. :)

I think maybe what you are looking for is this? It is a good start.
    www.urbandharma.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.pdf

But if you want to "fully understand the 4 noble truths" then I still do recommend
    Mindfullness practise. :) .

/Victor
    Alright now I read your initial post. Mindfulness meditation is MUCH more than relaxing in the present moment.

But I think you need a teacher...
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I would encourage you, if you are able, to explore teachers/sanghas/meditation centers in your area. You don't have to select a teacher immediately, but having one is exactly what exploring the 4 Noble Truths and Eightfold Path are for. They are the ones that are best able to answer your specific questions about them because they get to know you and know how to answer the question in a way you'll understand. I prefer to teach myself. I've learned all sorts of things on my own. But this is one thing I needed a teacher for because otherwise I was answering the questions on my own with no guidance or input from someone who has actual training and tutelage in the subject, and most often, my interpretation was either completely incorrect, or not quite correct. I live in an area with less than 4000 people and even we have a sangha, and a teacher who travels to work with us, and whom talks with us via email and phone. So you never know what you'll find.
    Tosh
  • karmatib said:

Hello, I am new here and I am interested in learning and following Buddhist ideas. However I have no idea where to start. I have read things here and there and I am aware of Buddhism being more about the mind then the material world. But I need to know how my wife and I can practice it in our lives. Is there a Buddhism for dummies book or a general guide to get started? Our main goal is to reduce stress in our lives. We both have high stress jobs with long hours and commutes. While i realize that these things are not really worth stressing about (since we could be homeless and starving) we find it near impossible to just let go and just "be". I have enjoyed listening to books on tape by Jon Kabat-Zinn (founding director of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.) He has a nice way of explaining things but he seems to focus on mindfulness in the present moment, which is all fine and dandy but I believe that I am in need of something more in my life. Just mindfulness meditation is not enough. So could anyone point me in a direction?

When I FIRST started learning about Buddhism, I actually started with the Buddhism for Dummies book. That book gives you GREAT information on what Buddhism is about, how it came to be, and what you can do in your daily life to get on the Buddhist track. When I was reading that book, I also started going to this little meditation group where the 'instructor' would guide us through meditation for probably 20-30 minutes, then afterwards, he would talk a little about Buddhism and then answer any questions that some might have. It was a very relaxing and informative meditation and it's not like he was a monk or some spiritual god lol so it wasn't very formal or anything. It was just a place where people can come to relax and also get some information on Buddhism. Now I've been going to a Bodhisattva meditation group and that's a big step forward is practicing Loving Kindness Meditation, but it isn't really a place where we sit down and talk about Buddhism. It's more just Meditation and Chanting.

So I guess it might depend on how fast you want to jump into Buddhism. I think books and audio CD's is a great way to start, just until you feel comfortable enough with Buddhism, that you might want to get with a group. At the moment it is going to be difficult to bring Buddhism into your daily life, but I think the more you ACCEPT Buddhism into your heart, and you TRULY believe in the teachings, and you really focus on what it has to offer you and others, the more you will find it DOES help with stress, anger, and being impatient in traffic.

I think what's great is that you have someone that you can work with (your significant other). And if you both REALLY want to get into Buddhism, you both can help each other when one starts slipping or feels some kind of tension. I think you should really take advantage of that, because being by yourself, and being far away from anyone who practices Buddhism, can be tough at times.
  • See if your area you can try a retreat. I recommend Pema Chodron's method of meditation (youtube). She also writes amazing books.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    karmatib said:

I have been dabbling with meditation for a few years now off and on but with my fast paced life i tend to fall off the wagon so to speak.
    That's why i am looking for more than just the meditation.

Even with a fast paced life, consider the statement for a moment.
    You admit that you have been 'dabbling' and 'inconsistent' and this is the reason that you are looking for more?
    Life is always at the same pace - insistent.
    Gradually increase your exposure and consistency to explore the potential of what you already have.
    Build with what you have rather than looking for more - in my experience the more sort of takes care of itself.
    As well as the very insightful links already presented, it may assist you to seek guidance from IRL teacher(s) from time to time.
  • I am ignorant so everything I state may or may not be useful.

The best thing I found when starting out is holding on to the present moment. Do you ever just look out into the horizon or something far away and suddenly feel this rush of happiness? its like an energy that makes everything feel okay for that one moment and than its gone. If you know what im talking about my advice to you is to try and feel that as much as possible. Do what you have to do, listen to music while looking out the window or just sit in the grass. Thats is what I call the present moment.
    Jeffrey
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    The Buddhism for dummies is a good book as a start. It relates one with the basic teachings in a very simple and meaningful way. I used the resources that the author used to further my book learning, but, one must put the words into deeds to fully understand the whole Buddhist concept.
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Dandelion said:

You could give this a go:http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/ Gil Fronsdal is I.m.o excellent to listen to. He explains things in a very accessible way. I like to listen to Buddhist talks when I'm pottering about at home, perfect for when you're quite busy, but want to learn.

Yes to this. Gil is awesome. I like to download his talks as podcasts through iTunes. He touches on just about anything you can think of, such as your idea of doing each part of the eightfold path. I'm particularly fond of the Q&A sessions he sometimes does.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    karmatib said:

I don't know where you live @karmatib but I suspect that there are teachers within reach of you. Just check that they belong to a genuine Buddhist tradition...check here if you like, and then get to know them. You will learn more in an hour than from weeks of forum debate. Seriously.
  • While I would love to find a group or a teacher to learn from/with I have recently moved back to an area that doesn't seem to have anything Buddhist related. Southern Maryland while beautiful and quiet doesn't have much in the way of spirituality other than church. There are no temples and as far as i can see there are no groups i could join. I love the area but like most rural places the people tend to be less than open minded. Open-mindedness is something I have had to struggle with most of my life. I grew up in a racist low income stereotypical redneck household so I have had to cultivate my own view on the world because I knew I didn't want to keep that cycle going. This journey my wife and I are taking is just a further extension of my need to be a better person and shake the ghosts of my past. Essentially I want to have control of my mind and not have my mind control me. If someone could help me find a group or a teacher I would be grateful. I am pretty good at searching the internet (I work I.T.) and i have yet to find something close to me.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    This is the yellow pages search I got....

http://www.yellowpages.com/southern-md-facility-md/buddhist-temple

At least calling around and checking out websites should get you somewhere...
    Being rural, yes, you might have a little drive...but you might be surprised
    at who/what you find.
    Good luck :)
  • Hmm they are all kind of far away, the closest one would be in Accokeek which is about an hour away. I saw there website before but i dismissed them because it was all in Thai so I assumed a non-Thai speaker wouldn't be welcome. The more I think about it though the more I realize that someone has to speak English there. I suppose a could go once a week or so. That wouldn't be so bad. However it from the website it looks like it could be a full on temple with Tibetan Monks. While I think that is wonderful, my social anxiety would be in full swing while trying to meet people who are so different from what i am used to. ( Can everyone see how my mind wanders all over thinking of all the negatives? This is part of what i want to control in me) I think I will just suck it up and give them a call for more information.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    When I was a student @karmatib, Buddhism in the UK was in its infancy. I used to hitch to the nearest temple every sunday.
    Then I became the student of a Tibetan Lama who was at that time living in Scotland..this meant regular 1600 mile round trips.
    I never regretted it.
    karmablues
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I drive half an hour once a week for a Temple visit, and an hour and a half for a
    Monastery vist. In all honesty, I don't think you need direction....you might just
    need a little encouragement. :) I assure you there will be at least one person in
    each place that speaks English. Besides...love and compassion cross language
    barriers, I promise. There will be differences, yes, but that's not what your there
    to emphasize.
    There's Nothing to it, but to do it.
  • I suppose a could go once a week or so.
    It is the quality of the motivation that is important for now.
    You could go just once to get a feel.
    Your motivation to change is inspirational.
    You are fortunate to have a companion/wife to work with.

I will dedicate some 'good will' (puja) to your situation and hopefully others will too . . .
    Everything is in place. What an adventure. What will you be doing?
  • My teacher teaches long distance students. We get some sangha materials including a 4 book coursepack, a book writtten by the husband of the lama, a beginners guide, a CD with guided meditation. You have a 'contact person' you can e-mail/phone and also the lama. It does have a substantial cost however. And it's in Wales so a little expensive to phone. I am over joyed that I decided to take it. It is my true spiritual home.

There might be other online sanghas. It's not ideal but it provides full teachings of the entire Buddhist path. My lama is setting up the sangha so that when she passes on there will still be a lifetime of practice for her students.

The Lama is Shenpen Hookham and she is a Tibetan Buddhist with ties to Kagyu and Nyingma schools.
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited August 2013
    karmatib said:

Essentially I want to have control of my mind and not have my mind control me.

If that is your goal then the only way to achieve that would be through meditation practice. When I first started off I found that attending a week long meditation retreat really helped in terms of understanding the kind of skills needed for training the mind and to see the real potential of benefits that can be achieved through such training. After that it was a matter of integrating this mindfulness practice into daily life and attending more retreats as time permits. I found it helps to first have some experiential understanding of mental training because it brings about a kind of faith in the method which motivated me to apply the practice into daily life. Without such faith and motivation, there would be a lack of self discipline in the exertion of effort needed to maintain a daily practice. So perhaps you and your wife should consider making some plans to take some days off and attend a retreat.

If you only want to attend shorter classes held on the weekends, there are these temples listed in the link from Vastmind's post which provide such classes taught in English:

http://www.watyarn.com/meditation_2013.htm
    http://www.buddhistvihara.com/activities.htm
  • karmatib said:

There is indeed a book on Buddhism for dummies but Buddhism is not for dummies. It is more for people with a brain and who care enough to feed it healthy spiritual food. I would think it is more important to know the precepts for the lay men and the four noble truth first before embarking on more serious issues.
    how
  • Well I did not go meet anyone this weekend due to too many obligations but I have found a church that holds a mindfullness practice group. http://www.mpg-annapolis.org/ While it is not exactly what i was looking for I am willing to try it to see where it goes. Here is a small blurb explaining the group.
    "a sangha supporting each other in meditative practices. We are peer-led and lay-led: We are all each others' teachers. All are welcome to sit with us; our group practices are Buddhist, yet we respect all meditative practices and celebrate the diversity of practice among us". "The MPG was established nearly two decades ago as a sangha in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Zen master and founder of the Order of Interbeing, whose speech and practice guidelines inspired our guidelines, our use of the bell, and many of our ceremonies. We are a supporting sangha of the Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship"
    Thanks for all the help! I Will follow up on here after I go for my first practice and let everyone know how it went.
    Best of luck to you Dude and your Dudette! :)

/Victor