Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

in the name of capitalism

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @blu3ree Yes, but in our winter, the ground freezes 3 feet deep. The sidewalks and roads heave up to 3 feet because of the frost. It would be pretty hard to keep a glass greenhouse stable. We can build root cellars here, but that is obviously for the storage of food, not the growing of it. Because it gets so cold, food will last a long time in root cellars. When your winters routinely get into -40F and you 10 feet of snow, it makes it hard. Sometimes our winters get to -50 or -60F. Impossible, probably not, like I said if a person has the acreage, time and money to construct it perfectly to keep it properly heated and some how protected from the frost. But while sustainability is quite popular here (people here still hunt and fish their own food on a regular basis, along with preserving what they can grow) and no one I have ever heard of, even the CSAs, grows food in the winter. To even keep a greenhouse above freezing in the winter would cost a lot of money. We pay enough to heat our house as it is, lol.
  • I wonder if someone built a house where you are @karasti if they could build the greenhouse into the house? Still a lot to heat it.
  • vinlyn said:

blu3ree said:

Chrysalid said:

I'm happy to eat GMO, DNA and protein is the same whether it's been modified or not, it all gets broken down into it's constituent amino acids and nucleotides anyway.

The chances of a protein from a GM crop being harmful to you are the same as for any other protein, in fact it's safer, as the scientists who create these organisms will test the proteins they wish to incorporate for toxicity, something that doesn't happen for non-GM foods.
    Which is why people still eat button mushrooms raw, despite them being carcinogenic uncooked or runner beans which are packed with hydrogen cyanide and so need cooking thoroughly.

I agree with Citta, I think most arguments against GM crops are based on emotion, specifically fear of the unknown.

even when tests show that animals fed gmos develop tumors and cancer ?
    and that animals fed gmos can only live a certain length of time before their bodies start shutting down?
    references?

i dont have any references but i saw it on channel 7 news on cable tv like 2 months ago so that is saying something.
  • karasti said:

@blu3ree Yes, but in our winter, the ground freezes 3 feet deep. The sidewalks and roads heave up to 3 feet because of the frost. It would be pretty hard to keep a glass greenhouse stable. We can build root cellars here, but that is obviously for the storage of food, not the growing of it. Because it gets so cold, food will last a long time in root cellars. When your winters routinely get into -40F and you 10 feet of snow, it makes it hard. Sometimes our winters get to -50 or -60F. Impossible, probably not, like I said if a person has the acreage, time and money to construct it perfectly to keep it properly heated and some how protected from the frost. But while sustainability is quite popular here (people here still hunt and fish their own food on a regular basis, along with preserving what they can grow) and no one I have ever heard of, even the CSAs, grows food in the winter. To even keep a greenhouse above freezing in the winter would cost a lot of money. We pay enough to heat our house as it is, lol.

geez u must be like santas wife or something living in the north pole
    Jeffreykarasti
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

I will happily eat GM products. The argument against is completely emotional.

Not when you consider the fact that mega-corporations would like nothing more than to patent the food supply. John Barton, the George E. Osborne Professor of Law at Stanford University finds this a disturbing trend as do many others. The idea that it's completely emotional is a very narrow and incomplete view of the issue. When a farmer is sued for patent infringement because they have more than 1% of their crop contaminated by gmo strains, it's certainly not an "emotional issue" for the farmer...

Nirvana
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    lol actually, often during the winter it's warmer in many parts of Alaska than it is in northern MN. I fare better in the -40F temps than I do in the 100+ heat indexes we are having now.

@Jeffrey that might be a workable solution. Our school has a small greenhouse that is built into the biology lab. It's part of the lab but sits outside of the normal school wall. But I don't know if they try to use it in the winter, or not. Good thought! I'll have to remember to ask my son if they use it year round.

More than one person is hoping to take private ownership of the entire drinkable world water supply. That sounds like a good idea. Someone else deciding who gets water and who doesn't, based on profit. :eek:
  • I hate cold weather. I used to live in central florida. NO to private ownership of water. This is one reason I don't vote libertarian etc..
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    blu3ree said:

vinlyn said:

blu3ree said:

Chrysalid said:

I'm happy to eat GMO, DNA and protein is the same whether it's been modified or not, it all gets broken down into it's constituent amino acids and nucleotides anyway.

The chances of a protein from a GM crop being harmful to you are the same as for any other protein, in fact it's safer, as the scientists who create these organisms will test the proteins they wish to incorporate for toxicity, something that doesn't happen for non-GM foods.
    Which is why people still eat button mushrooms raw, despite them being carcinogenic uncooked or runner beans which are packed with hydrogen cyanide and so need cooking thoroughly.

I agree with Citta, I think most arguments against GM crops are based on emotion, specifically fear of the unknown.

even when tests show that animals fed gmos develop tumors and cancer ?
    and that animals fed gmos can only live a certain length of time before their bodies start shutting down?
    references?

i dont have any references but i saw it on channel 7 news on cable tv like 2 months ago so that is saying something.
    "A study" can show almost anything. The question often is what do the preponderance of studies show.

• @vinlyn that rats fed gmo foods developed tumors.........
    blu3ree, if you have read many scientific journals and studies (not to mention educational journals), as I did during my university and work years, a phrase (it's not even a sentence) like that is something you become very wary of.

For example, a drug for acid reflux they want me to take I'm wary of because it "can cause tachycardia", which is a heart problem I already have. But then, when you look into the data, you find that it happened to 1 person out of 1,000. In science, headlines often don't work...nor do phrases.
  • 100% of people who eat carrots will die.
    vinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran

100% of people who eat carrots will die.

But their night vision will be excellent.
    vinlyn
  • http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/understanding-the-effects-of-pesticides-on-your-health/

heres a reference may be a little biased but ovbiously spraying carcinogens is probably not a sustainable solution.
    True, but food borne pests and illnesses are also problematic.
  • @vinlyn yes, but their are other means of taking care of them. such as creating a bush for birds to live near your crops so they eat those problematic pests. or have someone go out daily and kill them with their fingers. make your own natural pest deterant usuing garlic onions lemons jalapeno peppers and other herbs of that nature will help deter deer, bunnies, and groundhogs as far as bugs go im not sure that it will keep beetles and such away but it definitely works for deer and other mammals. there are many natural solutions one can use.

All of those things are not very practical when you are growing food for 7+ billion people.
    MaryAnneJeffrey
  • vinlyn said:

All of those things are not very practical when you are growing food for 7+ billion people.

well pesticides dont just spray themselves someone has to spray them. it would be better to feed less people better food than it would to feed a billion people cardboard.
    Funny, I've lived in the US and Thailand, visited Burma, Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia. I haven't seen anyone eating cardboard even in the poorest slums of those countries.

And frankly, whether we like them all or not, modern agriculture is what feeds the world.
  • the latest estimate by experts
    is 1 out of 3 people will get cancer.

that means in every family, at least 1 person will get cancer.

hmmm, i wonder why?
    jll said:

the latest estimate by experts
    is 1 out of 3 people will get cancer.

that means in every family, at least 1 person will get cancer.

hmmm, i wonder why?

Yes, there may a link, although in many cancers the rate is declining. But articles I have read lately suggest that it's longer life spans that lead to cancer. We have to die of something.

mfranzdorfChrysalid
  • blu3ree said:

vinlyn said:

well pesticides dont just spray themselves someone has to spray them. it would be better to feed less people better food than it would to feed a billion people cardboard.
    Better for who?

• blu3ree said:

vinlyn said:

Better for who?
    the next generation of beings to live on this planet. throwing toxic chemicals in the water, soil, and air no one will last very long. especially when the same practice is used for 100+ years more and more toxic pesticides/herbicides will build up leading to even worse problems.
  • blu3ree said:

blu3ree said:

vinlyn said:

Better for who?
    the next generation of beings to live on this planet. throwing toxic chemicals in the water, soil, and air no one will last very long. especially when the same practice is used for 100+ years more and more toxic pesticides/herbicides will build up leading to even worse problems.
    I have hope. Things have been a lot worse, in North America anyway.
    Cars are 90% cleaner than they were when I was young. Factories too. And no nuclear testing. Just to mention a few of the improvements.
    People can survive a lot of filth.
    Jeffrey
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I wonder if someone built a house where you are @karasti if they could build the greenhouse into the house? Still a lot to heat it.

Or the house inside the greenhouse? There has been at least three such experimets here.

Scroll down on this page.

http://36organicm2.blogspot.fi/2011/02/inspirationsresa-del1.html

/Victor
    karastiJeffrey
  • Jeffrey said:

I wonder if someone built a house where you are @karasti if they could build the greenhouse into the house? Still a lot to heat it.

Or the house inside the greenhouse? There has been at least three such experimets here.

Scroll down on this page.

http://36organicm2.blogspot.fi/2011/02/inspirationsresa-del1.html

/Victor
    that isnt english!
    I just wanted to show you the pictures. lol.

• is that someplace in europe?
    @victor
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

The US recently passed a bill where farmers are now allowed to feed their livestock fracking run-off which is HUGELY toxic.

Point of order: There was no bill. The EPA issued a ruling.
    Lincoln, you are not getting into the groove of conspiracy websites and videos! ;)
    edited September 2013
    blu3ree said:

is that someplace in europe?
    @victor

Mostly different places in sweden and norway i think.
    /Victor

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013
    http://www.weather.com/video/this-insects-bite-is-beneficial-36314

here are a 2 bugs that improve your farming.
  • The Next Financial Crisis.