Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

travel history

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
By foot, automobile, truck, plane, ship, snow shoes, or other mode of transportation, how far do you suppose you have traveled in your lifetime?

At my age, I'm too lazy to make even a rough estimate, but I was thinking about the two times I hitchhiked across the U.S. and various trips to Russia and other European destinations and ... well, it just crossed my mind: Even those who have "never gone anywhere" have gone somewhere.

Comments

• Well I guess 4 miles a day as an adult and 5 miles a day (playing). Lets say 23 years playing and 13 years adult walking....

5x13 = 65
    4x23 = 92

I have no idea how accurate.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm.....Hard to say!.,,.Is asleep on a jet..... traveling?
    Is the distance traveled, a map or a mind measurement?
    Can anywhere be experienced except through awareness?
    Invincible_summer
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Well I guess 4 miles a day as an adult and 5 miles a day (playing). Lets say 23 years playing and 13 years adult walking....

5x13x365 = 23725
    4x23x365 = 33580

I have no idea how accurate.

^ that's better
    Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    And then, of course, there are the oh-so-transcendent trips to the bathroom.
    MaryAnne
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Yearly I probably travel about 20000 miles including driving, walking and flying.

I know it was less when I was younger, say 10000 miles * 15 years and 20000 * 16 years gives a total of...

470,000 miles at the grand old age of 31!
  • How much poop? From here to the moon probably.
    karasti
  • When were you in Russia, OP? I was there several times in the 70's (!!), and many more times in the 90's. Done tons of travel, enough to circle the globe many times, which I actually did, once.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Dakini said:

When were you in Russia, OP? I was there several times in the 70's (!!), and many more times in the 90's. Done tons of travel, enough to circle the globe many times, which I actually did, once.

Well its easy for you..@Dakini you're a Dakini.
    Dandelion
  • GuiGui Veteran
    The earth travels approximately 584,000,000 miles in a year. So I would say we all have many miles behind us.
    karasti
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I don't imagine I have travelled very far in comparison to others who have responded. I did do a bit of travelling round Europe when I was in my teens, but to be honest, I just really like being at home! You can lure me with the promise of a pretty seaside though :) And, I have a fascination with boats. I want to live on one, a tiny boat shack would be wonderful. Maybe i'd chalk up some miles that way.

Having said all of that, I spend a lot of my time chasing my cats, and being chased by them. A lot of in house travel is done I guess.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Interesting question! I really have no idea. I have not traveled internationally very much (except to Canada, which is only 10 miles from my house, lol) I have been to Finland. But I have traveled all over the US, and I put a lot of miles on having kids, whether biking, skiing, snowshoeing, or driving. I guess it depends on how much you want to count.
  • genkaku said:

By foot, automobile, truck, plane, ship, snow shoes, or other mode of transportation, how far do you suppose you have traveled in your lifetime?

At my age, I'm too lazy to make even a rough estimate, but I was thinking about the two times I hitchhiked across the U.S. and various trips to Russia and other European destinations and ... well, it just crossed my mind: Even those who have "never gone anywhere" have gone somewhere.

I have been to the place where Buddha was born with a group of friends, the places where he had preached and passed away. The places are very far from one another, over hundred of kilometres even. I travelled by bus but Buddha, I heard walked. I heard too that in his life, Jesus did not travel that far, most probably just over 20 miles only, since his life isn't that long and he didn't go many places. I suppose then, in life, some people travel far and some people don't but they live meaningful life too. Traveling is not that important, it is more how one lives one's life.
  • In my twisted mind this question must be a trap, a hook on a line, the opening sentence of a koan.
    Just like when a Master asks “Where do you come from?” or “Where are you going?”
    If you answer in any conventional way you’re so wrong.
    If you answer in any deeply spiritual way you may get hit with a stick.
    If you just shout as hard as you can, you may get away with it…but you’ll look like an idiot.

How far did I travel? There is no escape.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @zenff -- Honestly, I wasn't trying to play some Zen game. The question just crossed my mind and, supposing the answer came up "roughly 500,000 miles or maybe a million" ... well that's pretty far, Zen student or not.
  • Okay, thank you for that.

I would like to suggest reducing the total distance travelled, with the trips that ended where they began. Running around in circles shouldn’t count like traveling.
    Daily trips to work and back; running marathons; at the end of the day you sit on the same couch and put on your same old slippers. You didn’t get anywhere.

I was born 15 miles from where I am right now. So, leaving aside some detours, I traveled 15 miles.