Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation is separate from daily life

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited August 2013 in Meditation
Daily life is a lower level of consciousnesss, which is why we meditate - so we can reach a higher level. So meditation and daily life must be kept separate.

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I've never heard of any Buddhist teacher teaching that they must be separate. They teach the opposite really.
    MaryAnneriverflowkarasti
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Anyone who surrenders to "lower" and "higher" levels of consciousness would probably be better served by digging boogers out of their noses.
    riverflowmisterCope
  • If that is your experience then that is what it is. It's like self. If you experience a self then that is just your experience.

It is likely that your experience will change because a lot of people say there is no boundary.

But from the perspective of you as a yogi it is just your experience (for now).
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited August 2013
    betaboy said:

Daily life is a lower level of consciousnesss, which is why we meditate - so we can reach a higher level. So meditation and daily life must be kept separate.

not if one runs a dharma clinic like they have in india whom helps people everyday.... obviously to be aware of your patients needs would be a huge benefit to all

it depends on the role in society one plays. meaning if your a car sales person or your job is to make fun of people that is low.

that kind of thinking gets us in trouble with the dharma
    riverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    So if we are going to consider daily life a lower level of consciousness, then what? We're just going to meditate all the time and not participate in daily life? That doesn't make any sense to me. It seems that through meditation we can raise the consciousness level or rather our mindfulness of each moment in our daily lives. If we separate them, then they never come together in any way, and to expect that everyone can just give up having a daily life in order to live in a higher manner just makes no sense to me.
    riverflowKundo
  • It's just changing the mandala. That is like you put a new roll of film in the projector. Each mandala has a central principle and boundaries. As the meditation mandala closes another blooms. This even happens in the middle of your meditation as you spin out into day dreams. You can observe this and notice the ability of mind to focus on the energy dyanamic of one mandala and then a gate appears to another either at the periphery or even the center. Suddenly the thought is totally changed. Like "returning to the breath I remember I am meditating.

All of the mandalas are distinct so in some sense the sitting and daily practices are different.

But the central mandala of all things is the nature of awareness and mind and that is always present in every mandala.
    karasti
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Daily life is a lower level of consciousnesss, which is why we meditate - so we can reach a higher level.
    Meditation is like practising your scales and arpeggios. Why do we practise? - So that we can play beautiful music.

Kundolobsterriverflow
  • Daily life is a lower level of consciousnesss, which is why we meditate - so we can reach a higher level. So meditation and daily life must be kept separate.
    :)
    . . . what if daily life was the 'higher level'.
    In other words as @pegembara says, we play scales but the music is always in our head or ahead of us or played through us, or with us. We are the instrument etc. [must be time for some retuning] :rocker:
  • "If you are unable to find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" ~ Dogen
    karmabluesshadowleaver
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    betaboy said:

OK lets pretend thats true. Now what ?
    riverflow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

You could say they're different activities, but isn't the point of meditation to raise the level of consciousness in our daily lives?

riverflowkarmablues
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @betaboy
    Each nano moment is all there is. The only possible time to awaken. A sliver of transcendence to open or close to.
    IMO...Concepts that limit practicing to specific levels of consciousness are just dreams about practicing.
    riverflow
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Okay I think I can say that everyone agrees that meditation and daily life are not separate.
    So how do we integrate meditation and daily life?

My two cents:
    The essential thing about meditation is an open accepting attitude. We don’t cling we don’t resist we don’t fight we don’t try to achieve anything in particular; we just sit with whatever there is. Meditation is okay in every possible way.

We take that attitude (or is it better to say lack of attitude?) with us when we get up from the meditation mat into our daily life. And then life is okay in every possible way.

riverflow
  • GuiGui Veteran

Accept what is, be open. Keep a don't know mind.
    riverflow
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    betaboy said:

Nope! This is wrong. Rather the opposite.

Use an alarm in appropriate intervals in the beginning to remind yourself to "fall back" into mindfullness.

Peace!
    Victor

riverflow
  • What is a lower level of consciousness @betaboy?
    Are you speaking of present moment awareness? If so it would seem either one is aware or not aware at any given moment.

To meditate, just be quiet by concentrating on your breath and pay attention to what arises. Without judgement and without being carried away by thoughts that arise. Not chasing after (or running away from) is letting go. Practice letting go again and again. Letting go is both challenging and calming. News flash: Meditation is relaxing. That's a good thing.

Meditation in daily life has a name and it's called Mindfulness. Patient, open, calm, non-judgmental awareness. Mindfulness sounds a lot like meditation off the cushion.

Best Wishes
    riverflowJeffreyWonderingSeeker
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    zenff said:

I would say by practising mindfulness off the cushion as well as on it.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • betaboy said:

If daily life is a lower level of consciousness, keeping meditation separate from it, will ensure that it will always be of that low level. Shouldn't we use meditation to bring it up to a high level of consciousness? I have read before a book that says we could meditate in our daily life, even when we are working.
    riverflow