Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Schopenhauer and Buddhism

edited February 2008 in Philosophy
Hello,

Since I myself "come" from the Kantian philosophies, I was always interested in comparative studies of, especially Arthur Schopenhauer`s works, with Buddhism. In case anyone here is also interested in this, I would like to have a thread here where it can be addressed, so I dare to open one. :)

Obviously it is a philosophical thread whose puropose should not be to press any line of Buddhist thoughts into the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer, nor do so vice versa. As a beginning for everyone interested in this, I recommed to read the following article:

Schopenhauer and Buddhism: http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-PHIL/peter2.htm

Regards

edit:I realized afterwards the topic might not be apropriate here. To the mods: Feel free to move the thread into "Buddhism and the rest of the world", it might be the better place for it.

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    This is an interesting article. I was previously unfamiliar with Schopenhauer's work, so this is news to me. I am not finished reading, but I will say that the author seems to be a bit underinformed about Theravada, on the whole, & has improperly explained the development of the Hinayana/Mahayana division. Some of his translations of terms seem a bit strange to me, such as prajnaparamita meaning 'wisdom gone beyond'. I'm not sure of the literal translation, but I thought 'paramita' meant 'perfection', not 'gone beyond.' Granted, these are minor points in relation to the gist of the article, so I will not complain any further.

Thanks for the read.

_/\_
    metta
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I think that this is precisely what should be in "Buddha U.", fofoo.

It is decades since I read any Schoppenhauer and I shall try to catch up. Have you any information on what he might have read about the Dharma by the time of his death in 1861?

It is an interesting fact that so many different mindsets or bodies of opinion find themselves reflecting the Dharma - or in the Dharma. As i encountered Buddhist thought, I was struck by how closely it resembled my own quasi-Sartrian existentialism.

I also find myself wondering whether the philosophical transformations of the 19th century, Schoppenhauer and Nietzsche in particular, were not an interesting preparation for the Turning of the Wheel in the West. I cannot imagine that the Enlightenment theists would have found much in common with 18th century Buddhism. There must have been contact but I find few references.

Perhaps the enquiring mind of Hume or the reasonableness of Locke were already being influenced by growing commerce with the East.
  • edited September 2006
    @not1not2

I will check the points your raised later this week, I surely have yet to learn much more about the history of Buddhism, so some responses simply might take longer, but i am glad about every valid point that is raised because it means i learn something while looking after it. Thanks :)

@simon

I find it similar interesting. About Hume and Locke I can`t say aynthing in that respect. What I do know however, that around 1800 when Schopenhauer was still young, he was already made familar with some Indian thought, as was Goethe afaik, in the literature salon his mother maintained in Weimar by people who had some knowledge. Thus, at least some rudimentary knowledge about Indian thought in general must already have been known to certain circles at that time In Germany, and moreover also England, presumably even before that.

For Schopenhauer, I know that he owned a “Oupnekhat”, that`s a latin translation from a persian tranlation of the Upanishads. Though there is still disput in what he might have been able to understand from such a translation, some agree that he did remarkably well. Though he admired the Upanishads, he never considered himself to be a vedandist or anything else, the highest truth seem to have been for him what he found in Mahayana texts of Buddhism.(especially his view that all true moral behaviour is based on compassion and compassion being a result of recognizing in every living being oneself as will to live, he seems to have found somewhere therein)

I read that he possesed texts of various traditions, in English French and German, an important source for his knowledge about Buddhism seems to have been Isaac Jacob Schmidt. I do not know exactly which texts he possesed, but I will find out and let you know.

Regards
    edited September 2006
    I see that the remainder of Schoppenhauer's library (30%) is held by the Universitätsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main. Alas, it is not online and I have no contact there but I shall dig through to the forty-five-year stratum of my own books (back in philo. The layer is recognised now only by shards!) to see if I still have anything relevant.
  • edited September 2006
    What I found until now is that he owned a copy of Schmidts "Über das Mahajana und das Pradschna- Paramita der Bauddhen" that deals with the Diamond-Sutra.

In Parergra and Paralipomena. he references to J. Schmidt’s Geschichte der Ostmongolen (vol. II, p. 203); Spence Hardy’s Manual of Buddhism (II, 276); E. Burnhof’s Introduction a l’histoire du Bouddhism (II, 382); Upham’s “Doctrine of Buddhism” (III, 282) among others.
    (source: http://www.sac.org.yu/komunikacija/casopisi/fid/XXIV/d07/html_gb footnote 28 )

PS: It is interesting that you mention existentialism and Sartre. Are you familiar with the works of Nanavira Thera ? I came across his "clearing the path" recently, as far as I could see it, he tried to utilize existentialist thoughts and jargon to better transmit the Buddhadharma in the west.
  • edited September 2006

I also find myself wondering whether the philosophical transformations of the 19th century, Schoppenhauer and Nietzsche in particular, were not an interesting preparation for the Turning of the Wheel in the West.

I can`t say anything for Nietzsche in that regard, since to me it is blatantly obvious that his philosophy is diametrical opposed to Schopenhauer`s, his will to power and his arguments for ignoring of suffering we cause ourselves or others I currently find hard to be found to be reflected in any line of Buddhist thought. But of course, this is a rather simple opinion of mine and could be explored in detail in a seperate thread.

For Schopenhauer, it is widely recognized today that he was the major influence in Germany to spread Buddhism in its early phase. So wether or not people distanced himself later from his interpretation of the dhamma, most people in Germany found to Buddhism thru him before the first Buddhist communities were established.
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    @not1not2

I will check the points your raised later this week, I surely have yet to learn much more about the history of Buddhism, so some responses simply might take longer, but i am glad about every valid point that is raised because it means i learn something while looking after it. Thanks :)

Regards

The prajnaparamita issue seems to be just an alternative translation, considering that the article used called it the 'perfect wisdom' sutra in other places. So, I guess it's no big deal. Still, I would be interested in hearing the etymology behind the two alternatives. Now, the Hinayana-Mahayana issue, I think I might be mistaken. I took the author as lumping in the Theravadans into the Hinayana category. To see why I took issue with this, take a look at this article:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha140.htm

Now, apparantly, the author of your article did, at least somewhat, correctly designate the sarvastivada school as Hinayana. I guess I'm just not entirely sure why he included the sarvastivans in the article, rather than the Theravada, considering that it is a dead school of buddhism. I guess that's where my confusion is now. But no big deal.

Anyway, I've read the majority of the article, and I imagine I'll probably want to go through it a second time (as I'm not familiar with Schopenhauer). It definitely has some interesting points & offers some surprising parallels, though I do agree that the madhyamika's would be pretty hard on Schopenhauer's reification of the 'Will'. And I guess I would like to read further discussion as to how Schopenhauer defined the term. It seems pretty vague. It also seems strange that he used such an anthropomorphic term and applied it to such vast & impersonal forces on an existential level. Does he address this issue in his writings?

Beyond that, I think if we view his 'will to live' as 'craving for existence/becoming (bhava)', then I think he presents a very important parallel to the second noble truth & resonates with some aspects of the teaching on dependent co-arising.

Lot's of stuff to discuss, but I think I'll finish reading the article first.

take care

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    you can find the epistemological foundation of his work in "The fourfold root of the principle of sufficient reason". Wikipedia has a summary here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Fourfold_Root_of_the_Principle_of_Sufficient_Reason , unfortunately I do not know of a full english version of that work online. There the will is already identified as the inner law of causality, constituting the motive of every individual act, gained via introspection.

The will as an ontological term is introduced in his main work,The world as will and represantation I, chapter 2 .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_as_Will_and_Representation#Ontology_.28Vol._1.2C_Book_2.29
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    you can find the epistemological foundation of his work in "The fourfold root of the principle of sufficient reason". Wikipedia has a summary here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Fourfold_Root_of_the_Principle_of_Sufficient_Reason , unfortunately I do not know of a full english version of that work online. There the will is already identified as the inner law of causality, constituting the motive of every individual act, gained via introspection.

The will as an ontological term is introduced in his main work,The world as will and represantation I, chapter 2 .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_as_Will_and_Representation#Ontology_.28Vol._1.2C_Book_2.29

Crap, I just realized I asked for more reading material. :)

Anyway, thanks.

_/\_
    metta
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:

Would you argue that Schopenhauer's Will, his ding-an-sich, is as close as he can get to an understanding of what Longchenpa calls "Universal Creativity" and Abe sees as "dynamic Sunyatta"?
    edited September 2006
    P.S. I find similar attempts to define and systematise an underlying unity in the work of Saint Thomas Aquinas, evidenced in the doctrine of transubstantiation, where 'essence' is transformed but 'accidents' remain the same. The notion of 'essence' connects them all.
  • edited September 2006
    Would you argue that Schopenhauer's Will, his ding-an-sich, is as close as he can get to an understanding of what Longchenpa calls "Universal Creativity" and Abe sees as "dynamic Sunyatta"?

hmmm, to be honest, i know neither of them. But thanks for the hint. I had a look at the "Universal Creativity", if the text here http://www.thab.us/_jewel/_arc/jewelship.htm is somewhat authentic, i tend to say no, i would not argue for an equation. Schopenhauers will is blind, there is no creative intelligence. it is more that intelligence in human form ought to realize that there is not intelligent creative power but merely an endless stream of willing/wanting/desiring that is behind each phenomena, serves no purpose other then epxressing its will in various forms. But i will have a closer look to both concept in the next days and post my thoughts.
    edited September 2006
    Fofoo, I think that you have your finger on the central difference and the place where, despite similarities, Schopenhauer and Buddhism are findamentally different. This is why I would lump Schopenhauer in with Nietzsche in respect of their understanding of "suchness".
  • edited September 2006
    Fofoo, I think that you have your finger on the central difference and the place where, despite similarities, Schopenhauer and Buddhism are findamentally different. This is why I would lump Schopenhauer in with Nietzsche in respect of their understanding of "suchness".

I`m not so confident as you that i am currently able to judge this, Simon ;)

Afaik, Nietzsche broke with the Kantian idea of the thing in itself, also with schopenhauer in that respect. He just took the idea of the will, put it out of it`s metaphyiscal corsett and came up with a will to power, it is more a view of different "power quantas" that do not hold a transcendental oneness as a thing in itself does. Hence his praise of egoism I believe.

To be honest, I think Schopenhauer contradicted himself somehow at the end although he delivered an admirable and very important work in my eyes. Very deep and much of the basis of modern depth psychology. But: As his Evanglist Frauenstätt pointed out, either the thing in itself is the will, then it cannot change. Or it is not, then will is not my nature and it can change. He responded that denying and affirming the will is merely wanting and not wanting, and the he refrained from describing waht it (thing in itself) might be besides will, because it`s obvsiously beyond reach, external (and possibly also internal,) and he was very wary about leaving immanent ground. This does not deny the fact imo, that either his postulate as will as thing in itself is wrong. Or it is right in a sense that it is the most direct character we can get of it, but since it is already representation while we get it thru introspection, it is not it`s true character, merely it`s most immanent attribute within us.

That`s where he hits mysticism and it explains why he admired mystics of all religions until his death, most of all Meister Eckhard and the Upanishads. He frequently adressed that he cannot say more, since his duty as philosopher is to give verifyable claims. As he put it: The philosopher distinguishes himself from the mystic that he raises things from outside, the mystic from inside.
  • edited September 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Crap, I just realized I asked for more reading material. :)

Anyway, thanks.

_/\_
    metta

You`re welcome.:) Basically, I think two of the most interesting points are

a) His view of Nirvana:
    If nirvana is defined as nothingness, this only
    means there is no element of sa.msaara that
    could be used to define or construct
    nirvaa.na.

b) His view of
    prajnaparamita(which is, given the sheer amount of scriputres,
    either very vague or essentially expounding its core :
    Whatever remains after the Will(12) has vanished
    must seem to those who are still filled by it
    nothing. But to the man in whom the Will has
    turned and negated itself, this world, so real
    to us with all its suns and Milky Ways,
    is--nothing.
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    You`re welcome.:) Basically, I think two of the most interesting points are

a) His view of Nirvana:
    If nirvana is defined as nothingness, this only
    means there is no element of sa.msaara that
    could be used to define or construct
    nirvaa.na.

b) His view of
    prajnaparamita(which is, given the sheer amount of scriputres,
    either very vague or essentially expounding its core :
    Whatever remains after the Will(12) has vanished
    must seem to those who are still filled by it
    nothing. But to the man in whom the Will has
    turned and negated itself, this world, so real
    to us with all its suns and Milky Ways,
    is--nothing.

Interesting. I guess though that we are speaking of matters which are beyond range when we start discussing Nirvana and such, so it's difficult to assess the correctness of these statements in regard to Nirvana. And I am wondering to what extent we can directly equate the sunyata doctrine of the prajnaparamita with Nirvana. Now, I will agree with his assessment that emptiness (sunya) is not a mere void, and that those who realize cessation necessarily regard phenomena as fleeting & non-substantial in essence. I just wonder to what extent he actually experienced the cessation of Will/Volition, and whether he contemplated or witnessed the cessation of the other khandas.

Anyway, interesting reading & discussion. A lot of new terms & ideas for my mind to consider.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    I see that the remainder of Schoppenhauer's library (30%) is held by the Universitätsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main. Alas, it is not online and I have no contact there but I shall dig through to the forty-five-year stratum of my own books (back in philo. The layer is recognised now only by shards!) to see if I still have anything relevant.

Simon, I found a list of books on Buddhism he recommended his readers in his writings "On Will in nature". You can find it here http://www.payer.de/neobuddhismus/neobud0301.htm. (point 2.4)

The site is in German, let me know if you need any help

cheers

edit: in 2.1 on the same side, you can also find a list of people who found either to Buddhism thru or were strongly influenced by him. It reads like a who is who of the "Buddhist celebreties" in Germany during the initial phase of the rise of Buddhism there, among them.Dahlke, Neumann, Grimm and Nyânatiloka
  • edited September 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Interesting. I guess though that we are speaking of matters which are beyond range when we start discussing Nirvana and such, so it's difficult to assess the correctness of these statements in regard to Nirvana. And I am wondering to what extent we can directly equate the sunyata doctrine of the prajnaparamita with Nirvana. Now, I will agree with his assessment that emptiness (sunya) is not a mere void, and that those who realize cessation necessarily regard phenomena as fleeting & non-substantial in essence. I just wonder to what extent he actually experienced the cessation of Will/Volition, and whether he contemplated or witnessed the cessation of the other khandas.

_/\_
    metta

Actually, imo the differences between him and Buddhism come in the 4th noble truth that points to the eigthfold path. I am not sure he did meditation, i do not believe so. A main difference seems to be that he points to art as temporary salvation, final salvation being the denial of the will. Contemplating on art, music is a thing that he proposed. But also more in general, the "unwillfull" observation of things, e.g. listening to a sound without wanting it to stop or to last, instead merely listening concetrated on sound, or observing an object.
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    Actually, imo the differences between him and Buddhism come in the 4th noble truth that points to the eigthfold path. I am not sure he did meditation, i do not believe so. A main difference seems to be that he points to art as temporary salvation, final salvation being the denial of the will. Contemplating on art, music is a thing that he proposed. But also more in general, the "unwillfull" observation of things, e.g. listeining to a sound without wanting it to stop or to last, instead merely listening concetrated on sound, or observing an object.

Well, yeah. But his attitude of relinquishment likely brought about a certain degree of cessation. Viewing sounds, sights, etc. in & of themselves does remind me of the 4 foundations of mindfulness (in regards to viewing sensations). And it seems he managed to get close to Right View for a western philosopher. Still, very little parallels with the 8-fold path on the whole.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    Yes, a closer look to the eightfold path in comparison to his philosophy is the most fruitful approach for a comparative study imo. For now, i think his concept of ascesticism could be way off the middle path and propagate an extreme Gautama had abondend. But I am talking out of my ass now, I did not make a real study on that subject up to now. ;)
    edited September 2006
    But I am talking out of my ass now,

That's just gross. :tongue2:

Do you have any links to his view of asceticism?

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    Well, my view, meaning as I understood him, would be, that the ascetic in the last consequence would starve, without feeling sorry for it or suffer during starvation. However, I am not sure if he saw that as a neccessary consequence, as the final stage of asceticism but it could very well be.

I will look for comments in his work concerning asceticism and post them here.
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    Well, my view, meaning as I understood him, would be, that the ascetic in the last consequence would starve, without feeling sorry for it or suffer during starvation. However, I am not sure if he saw that as a neccessary consequence, as the final stage of asceticism but it could very well be.

I will look for comments in his work concerning asceticism and post them here.

From the asceticism thread:
    "I thought: 'Suppose I were to practice going altogether without food.' Then devas came to me and said, 'Dear sir, please don't practice going altogether without food. If you go altogether without food, we'll infuse divine nourishment in through your pores, and you will survive on that.' I thought, 'If I were to claim to be completely fasting while these devas are infusing divine nourishment in through my pores, I would be lying.' So I dismissed them, saying, 'Enough.'

"I thought: 'Suppose I were to take only a little food at a time, only a handful at a time of bean soup, lentil soup, vetch soup, or pea soup.' So I took only a little food at a time, only handful at a time of bean soup, lentil soup, vetch soup, or pea soup. My body became extremely emaciated. Simply from my eating so little, my limbs became like the jointed segments of vine stems or bamboo stems... My backside became like a camel's hoof... My spine stood out like a string of beads... My ribs jutted out like the jutting rafters of an old, run-down barn... The gleam of my eyes appeared to be sunk deep in my eye sockets like the gleam of water deep in a well... My scalp shriveled & withered like a green bitter gourd, shriveled & withered in the heat & the wind... The skin of my belly became so stuck to my spine that when I thought of touching my belly, I grabbed hold of my spine as well; and when I thought of touching my spine, I grabbed hold of the skin of my belly as well... If I urinated or defecated, I fell over on my face right there... Simply from my eating so little, if I tried to ease my body by rubbing my limbs with my hands, the hair — rotted at its roots — fell from my body as I rubbed, simply from eating so little.

Let me know what you find.

_/\_
  • edited September 2006
    I did not find an English version of this passage, so I translate it on the fly to English while giving also the original, just in case someone else knows German and knows the translated English passage of it.It is not from Schopenhauer himself but from "Kindlers neues Literaturlexikon", and is Rudolf Malters view of Schopenhauer`s view of asceticism. Direct quotes from Schopenhauer and my assessment to come when I have more time.

"Since in having compassion, life is still affirmed,it cannot lead to final relief. Final Relief is reached, if thru the complete seeing thru of the principle of individuality [principium individuationis] perception is changed in the way that it does not give any more motives, thru which the will comes into act, to the will.The stopping of wanting becomes visible in the life of the ascetics. While his body is healthy, the ascetic voluntarily abandons the satisfaction of his drives (first of all of his sexual drive which is the higest affirmation of the will). With the disappearance of wanting disapears the appearaning world. measured on it (the appearing world), the state in which the ascetic enters is nothing, measured by the standard of the ascetic (who is not that of the nihil negativum [i`d like to add only nihil privatum]) the appearing world shows itself to be meaningless. Positivly defining the state of final relief / perfection is not possible. It is only directly experiancable and can merely open up inderectly thru reasoning, like as it emerges in an inadequate manner from the commentaries of (christian & indian) mystics.

"Da im Mitleid immer noch das Leben bejaht wird, kann es selbst noch nicht zur endgültigen Erlösung führen. Diese wird dann erreicht, wenn kraft der totalen Durchschauung des Individuationsprinzips das Erkennen sich so ändert, dass es dem Willen keine Motive mehr liefert, durch die er zum Wirken kommt. Das Aufhören des Wollens wird im Leben des Asketen sichtbar. Bei gesundem Leibe verzichtet er freiwillig auf die Befriedigung seiner Triebe (voran des Geschlechtstriebs, welcher die höchste Bejahung des Willens ist). Mit dem Wollen verschwindet die erscheinende Welt; gemessen an ihr ist der Zustand, in den der Asket eintritt, »Nichts«, gemessen am Zustand des Asketen (der nicht der des »nihil negativum« ist) erweist sich die erscheinende Welt als bedeutungslos. Positiv angeben kann man den Vollendungszustand nicht, er ist nur unmittelbar erfahrbar und kann durch die Vernunft nur höchst indirekt aus dem erschlossen werden, was aus den Äußerungen (christlicher und indischer) Mystiker auf unangemessene Weise hervorgeht."

extracted from http://www.payer.de/neobuddhismus/neobud0301.htm
  • edited September 2006
    I translated one passage that has an explicit hint to Buddhist ascetics. It is taken from the World as Will and Represantation II, fourth book, chapter 48

Because poverty, austerity and one`s own suffering in multiple forms already are inflicted thru the complete practice of moral virtues, many discard, and perhaps rightly discard, asceticism in the strongest sense, meaning they don`t abandon every belonging, they don´t delibrate seek the unpleasant and the detestable, they don`t inflictit pain to themselves and they don`t fast. They discard the "hair shirt"^1 and mortification as being superfluous. Justice itself gives the hair shirt, which is a constant strain to its owner and human kindness giving away the neccessary is the everlasting fasting. That`s why Buddhaism is free of that specific kind of grim and exaggerated asceticism, is free from mortification/inflicting
    pain to oneself, which plays such a big role within Brahaminism. There (within buddhism) celibacy, voluntary poverty, humbleness and obedience of the monks and abstention from food made out of animals as well as from worldliness is enough.

If we gotta analyze that, I think we have first to distingiush between monks and laymen. It is not clear from the passage but I think his quote is related to Buddhist monks. Further, we gotta seperate probably different Buddhist traditions. Afaik, vegeterianism is recommended in some Mahayana writings, whereas the early Buddhist monks and I believe the Theravadin monks still today gotta eat what they are given to by laymen. Same goes for celibacy, that afaik obviously existend among the early monks and still today in Theravadin Sanghas, not sure abot the other traditions. As you see, he already was at least aware of ascesticism in the middle way as distinguished form of the extreme variants. Now, I think these are some small thoughts to begin with, for now I think his understanding of the asceticism of the early Buddhists/Theravadins was not so wrong at all, maybe one of the later, if present here, could say something in regard to that, I don`t know the Vinaya Pitaka in detail.

^1difficult to translate, most probalby is meant the shirt of the (christian) penitent, "härenes Hemd" in German
    edited September 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    I translated one passage that has an explicit hint to Buddhist ascetics. It is taken from the World as Will and Represantation II, fourth book, chapter 48

Because poverty, austerity and one`s own suffering in multiple forms already are inflicted thru the complete practice of moral virtues, many discard, and perhaps rightly discard, asceticism in the strongest sense, meaning they don`t abandon every belonging, they don´t delibrate seek the unpleasant and the detestable, they don`t inflictit pain to themselves and they don`t fast. They discard the "hair shirt"^1 and mortification as being superfluous. Justice itself gives the hair shirt, which is a constant strain to its owner and human kindness giving away the neccessary is the everlasting fasting. That`s why Buddhaism is free of that specific kind of grim and exaggerated asceticism, is free from mortification/inflicting
    pain to oneself, which plays such a big role within Brahaminism. There (within buddhism) celibacy, voluntary poverty, humbleness and obedience of the monks and abstention from food made out of animals as well as from worldliness is enough.

If we gotta analyze that, I think we have first to distingiush between monks and laymen. It is not clear from the passage but I think his quote is related to Buddhist monks. Further, we gotta seperate probably different Buddhist traditions. Afaik, vegeterianism is recommended in some Mahayana writings, whereas the early Buddhist monks and I believe the Theravadin monks still today gotta eat what they are given to by laymen. Same goes for celibacy, that afaik obviously existend among the early monks and still today in Theravadin Sanghas, not sure abot the other traditions. As you see, he already was at least aware of ascesticism in the middle way as distinguished form of the extreme variants. Now, I think these are some small thoughts to begin with, for now I think his understanding of the asceticism of the early Buddhists/Theravadins was not so wrong at all, maybe one of the later, if present here, could say something in regard to that, I don`t know the Vinaya Pitaka in detail.

^1difficult to translate, most probalby is meant the shirt of the (christian) penitent, "härenes Hemd" in German

Many thanks for working on giving us a translation, Fofoo. (BTW, 'hair shirt' is absolutely correct. Ever seen one? Ever worn one? It is horrible)

I think that we may assume that AS had some knowledge of Buddhism, both as theory and as practice. The more I read, the more I am convinced that these ideas were trickling into European consciousness as imperial ambition took Westerners more deeply into the Sub-continent, Burma and beyond. Military and civilian officers, together with traders, must have been increasingly common.

Most commonly, the 'softer' forms of Buddhist monasticism would have been encountered, traditions that eschew asceticism. It is only later, with reports emerging from the North-West Frontier and the high Himalayas, after the Afghan Wars and the cartographic surveys, that the more 'extreme' practices began to intrigue the esotericists. [This is supposition on my part and I have yet to establish clear timelines, although it is an amusing passtime.]

I don't think that it would be pushing the text too far to summarise it as saying that life is hard enough when we practice virtue (his "complete practice of moral virtues" could be seen as pointing towrds the Noble Eightfold Path), so why make it even harder?
  • edited September 2006
    no, I never wore one, I was born as protestant ;) Did you?

I think you summarized it quite nicely. He focused very much on moral, he saw it not as an ends, though for him it was the neccessary means to the end within religions.
    edited October 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    no, I never wore one, I was born as protestant ;) Did you?

I think you summarized it quite nicely. He focused very much on moral, he saw it not as an ends, though for him it was the neccessary means to the end within religions.

Yes, Fofoo, I have worn a hair shirt - for a short time.

I was, however, raised as an atheist. (How can you be "born a Protestant"? Were you baptised in utero LOL?)
  • edited October 2006
    Yes, Fofoo, I have worn a hair shirt - for a short time.

I was, however, raised as an atheist. (How can you be "born a Protestant"? Were you baptised in utero LOL?)

oh of course you are right, to be precice, i was born human and bapitsed later :) however, protestant is also an attitude you know :)
    edited October 2006
    Forgive my levity, Fofoo.

Just to 'situate' myself, once again, I was born into a 'mixed' family: my father was from a rabbinical family which spread out from Hannover in the 18th century. He converted to Catholicism after WW1 and became quite prominent in English Catholicism. His time in Spain in 1936-7 and in London's East End during the Blitz, linked to many other contributory causes, brought him to atheism by the time I was born in 1943. My mother came from a Yorkshire Methodist background but went to an Anglo-Catholic (Church of England 'High') boarding school. She was no longer practising, as far as I can remember, but taught us Bible stories, etc. Religion was seen as a subject for debate rather than for dogma and was a favourite at the dinner-table.

From about the age of 11, I attended a local church ('Low' Anglican) in London and served Mass when in France. Both of these activities had the same effect on my father, although his greater opprobrium was directed at the Catholic activity. The result was that my education in Catholic history, doctrine and attitudes was pursued with ferocity, if mainly from an antagonistic position.

• edited October 2006
    Very interesting story, despite the dark hours very rich and beautiful :)

I think the others here do not mind if we distract from the main topic for a few posts :)

I find it interesting that your father converted to catholicism, afaik most people with jewish background in Germany converted to Protestantism, e.g. Kurt Tucholsky, or Schopenhauer`s father, to contribute something to the thread topic ;)

My religous education was rather shallow, average for my time I would say. I always envyed the catholics for their beautiful churches and the atmosphere at their mass, I further was astonished that they do confession. I felt that they admitted that at least something was wrong with their condition, while the protestants played the ostrich ;) I had times where I could not take christianty at all any more, for reasons out of personal experience, but today I rather look at individuals than at lables and try not judge at all unless I strongly feel i have too. Reading Aquinas personally helped me also to regain respect and tolerance towards religions and individuals.
    edited October 2006
    As my father converted at the same time as he changed the spelling of our family name (1917), it may be that his motives had to do with the woman who was his first wife. My eldest half-brother (b. 1919) maintained that it was self-interest but he was pretty bitter. Whatever the actual case, there is no doubt that he threw himself into his new religion; so much so, indeed, that he even gets a mention in Cardinal Heenan's autobiography!

I, too, love the theatricality of the Mass, although I also find the minimalism of a Protestant service very calming. It's all theatre, isn't it! Even the silence that we keep at a Quaker Meeting has its theatrical aspects.

The influence of Protestantism on German philosophy cannot be overstated. The emphasis on personal responsibility and hard work, linked to social responsibility, led directly to Christian Socialism. And we must also notice that it was German archaeologists and theologians who were giving the world a different form of biblical exegesis.

And we can't ignore Schleiermacher, can we?

• edited October 2006

And we can't ignore Schleiermacher, can we?

I am not sure what you mean with that. Schopenhauer attended lectures by Schleiermacher and first admired him, but he later critized his style of lecture, like all German philosphy of that time he considered it to have little substance while hiding that little bit it had to offer behind a smokescreen of incomprehensable language, finding its heigth in Hegel.

Perhaps you can hint me to some of some of Schleiermacher`s work that cannot be ignored in your opinion.
    edited October 2006
    Schleiermacher's work brought Plato and Kant into the German Protestant equation and gave us liberal Christianity, imo. Today's 'fundamentalism' is, whether it understands it or not, a reaction to this liberalisation. Schleiermacher's On Religion: Speeches to its Cultured Despisers ( ) is deemed as important as Calvin's Institutes but it is his hermeneutical work which, I think, can find echoes in Scoppenhauer.

What I am saying, I suppose, is that there was an enormous intellectual and philosophical ferment in the German states and that it may be impossible to disentangle which, if any, threads are the result of Buddhist thought or arose as intimations of truth floated by.

Friedrich Daniel Ernst SCHLEIERMACHER (1768-1834)
  • edited October 2006
    I am not sure if i can agree on that, but I second he had an important influence on christianity. One should not forget that bringing (neo-)platonism into christianity had already been tried by figures like jakob boehme, there were quite some healthy figures in german religious history but they were mostly considered heretic, since they always stressed the importance of individual experience on the path to religion, which of course, weakend the churches importance and authority.
  • edited October 2006
    I agree with Simon in that we will never be able to prove which, if any, ideas from western philosophy are directly derived from Buddhism. However, isn't the important thing that there are usually several points that a Buddhist and a (insert follower of a western philosophy here) can agree on? Where an idea originates isn't nearly as important as how true it is and well one can communicate that truth to others in familiar terms. Just my thoughts.

On another note I really like the concept of this thread. I have always been into philosophy and look forward to more heady conversations in the future.

Ghasso :ninja:
    edited October 2006
    Dharmaguy,

Agreed. The ground we share is the ground on which we can stand together to face the vicissitudes of living in samsara.
  • edited October 2006
    Sure, truth comes first, where it is derived from is of secondary importance, although i find it fascinating that similar ideas occured in different regions at different times.

I am not sure if such a thing as follower of a western philosophy exists, I never met one, very least a "Schopenhauerian" (except maybe houellebecq who claims to be a "schopenhaurian militante", i doubt though he was or is seriously into it). Except for maybe a bit the exestancialists, indian philosophy differs from western imo that it is also practical, somewhere inbetween western religion and philosophy.
  • edited October 2006
    fofoo, a total denial of the will (citta) was Schopenhauer's remedy for samsara. He was convinced that the will, which he considered to be ultimate reality, had no purpose or aim. It is just a blind striving.

Schopenhauer's fundamental error was his inability to understand the purpose of will's blind striving. From a Buddhist perspective, the purpose of will's striving is targeted towards self-comprehension rather than self-repulsion (duhkha).

Well, the point actually is if a purpose can be found, or that will is solely self purpose. What would a higher purpose of what the world wills be from buddhist perspective? Alas,only possible imo if you turn nirvana into a positive concept, meaning you isolate certain qualities from samsara like happyness, put them into nirvana and postulate that they are unconditioned and endless there.
    Will is firstly a sheer immediacy which, because it is immediate with itself has no knowledge of itself (avidya). This is really its blind striving, in other words. As the will conjures up this world (which is other to itself) it begins to see traces of itself. Finally, it comes into samadhic relationship with itself which is nirvana. The will cools down in other words. There is no more striving insofar as it has found itself, purely (visuddhicitta). Everywhere the will sees itself manifested which is the vision described in the Avatamsaka Sutra. This reminds me somewhat of Zen's understanding of final enlightenment.
    So you say the difference between schopenauer`s denial of the will (which, i like to add, he did not recommend anyone, considered it for most including himself unpracticable, merely reserved for saints) and nirvana is basically that the letter one is not a not wanting,but more a dispasionate,stoic wanting?
    Will is the very substance of all (substance is here not to be confused with essence). In the immediacy and ignorance of itself, there are mountains, and waters. But then will comes to realize that these are just empty manifestations. There are no real mountains and waters. Finally, by seeing that mountains and waters are creations of will, in which they are included in the will, itself, will comes to rest (nirvana). All is perfected (paramita). Mountains and waters are once again mountains and waters.

Schopenhauer was brilliant to a point. He just didn't grasp that the striving of will would stop when it comprehended itself. Heretofore, will's forms seemed blind and arbitrary which made it such. With will's actualization of itself all that changes. The world becomes beautiful. All things are manifestations of this Buddha-nature, i.e., the realized will.

Love ya'll

Bobby

From that perspective you describe it, that well known Zen enlightenment experience makes sense to me for the first time. What else could it be than directly experiencing what`s behind all percieved phenomena? I am not so sure however, that the will calms down in the individuum who realized the same quality that drives him drives everything. there still remains the challenge of colliding wills, and even if all wills would allign and causing no conflicts, the quest for "a higher aim" would remain, except one accepts that will is, nothing else and that is all.

I totally agree that will is the very substance of everything. If we accept that Kamma is the law that rules the world, we admit that world is driven by will.
  • edited November 2006
    Actually a good point for looking afterthe issue of will-denying affirmation is Majjhima Nikàya I, (26) The Noble Search

Then it occurred to me, this Teaching( the one of Uddaka Ràmaputta ) does not lead to giving up, detachment, cessation, appeasement, knowledge enlightenment and extinction. It leads up to the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception only, not satisfied I turned away from it.

further:

Then bhikkhus, I a subject of death, knowing the dangers of death was searching the not born noble end of the yoke [1] and attained extinction. I, a subject of decay, knowing the dangers of decay was searching the non-decaying noble end of the yoke and attained extinction. I, a subject of illness, knowing the dangers of illness was searching the not ailing noble end of the yoke and attained extinction. I, a subject of death, knowing the dangers of death was searching the not dying noble end of the yoke and attained extinction. I, a subject of grief, knowing the dangers of grief was searching, the not grieving noble end of the yoke and attained extinction. I, a subject to defiling, knowing its dangers, was searching the not defiling noble end of the yoke and attained extinction. Then knowledge and vision arose to me, my release is unchanged, this is my last birth, there is no more birth [1]

The footnote on mett.lk says on extinction: The not born, not decaying, not ailing, not dying, not grieving, not defiled end of the yoke which is extinction 'ajàtaü,ajaraü, abhyadhiü, amataü, asokam, asankhilitthaü anuttaraü yogakhemaü nibbànaü. It is by realising these things, that the fivefold bhikkhus attained extinction. It's clear that it's to one born that the rest comes, i.e., decay,ailments,death, grief, and defiling. So it is the cause for birth that has to be dispensed. Isn't the desire to be this and that the reason for birth.

It`s interesting how the translations differ, initially i wanted to make a point with the sutta for not wanting, not doing, presenting it as evidence for schopenhaur`s denial of the will, but the english translation says nothing of the like, it merely focuses on the extinction of dukkha ( elements that constitute samsara). Still, the footote gives evidence that the reason for suffering is desire, therfore wanting, will.
  • edited November 2006
    Actually, It just came to my mind that it might be worthwile to mention Schopenhauer`s position on freedom of will. He is often categorized as one who denied freedom of the will, and indeed he denies that hmuans or any other beings possibly could have free will in his writing "On freedom of will".

Albert Einstein once said :"I do not believe in freedom of will. Schopenhauer's words, "Man can indeed do what he wants, but he cannot want what he wants", accompany me in all life situations and console me in my dealings with people, even those that are really painful to me. This recognition of the unfreedom of the will protects me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and judging individuals and losing good humour."

However, Schopenhauer also writes that the will itself is free, rather than humans have free will. He wrote : "The will from which this world originates is ours. It is free". Many have seen in this yet another contradiction in his system, while in fact, he leavesthat open to mysticism and religion, as he repeatedly stated. What`s Buddhism`s answer for the endng o the world [samsara] completely, once and forever, leaving no will, volition, kamma behind that could fuel it?
  • edited February 2008
    This short essay wants to shed some light into both Schopenhauer`s denial of the will and the Buddhist end of Karma. I will not go too deep into Arthur Schopenhauer`s philosophy and merely examine if his denial of the will is an equivalent to the end of Karma in the sense that we can read in the Pali Canon. The goal is that people can benefit from it without having to study the complex philosophical system of Kant (Critique of pure reason) and Schopenhauer`s system itself, but instead can realize the fairly simple idea of will denying and see if it is the Buddhist goal. Last but not least, the essay serves me to finish with the topic which got me thinking about it for a long time.

Arthur Schopenhauer`s philosophy can be summarized as a life denying system. Life is not worth living because it is an endless striving for satisfaction. For every wish we have fullfilled, there are 10 new ones waiting for fullfillment. If wishes are not fulfilled, we suffer. Since all our wishes cannot be fullfilled, we suffer as long as we have them. What drives us is the will (to live), which is blind and has no other goal than striving itself. The world does not strive for a reasonable goal but instead is blindly driven by the will. Schopenhauer claims that the same will is behind the forces of law of nature, like gravity and processes going on in inanimate things, as well as in concious beings. However, concious beings have the ability to recognize things and the higher the conciousness, the more clearly it can be discerned that we are driven by the will. The highest known form of conciosness inhabts human beings. Only human beings can realize the futility of existance and deny what`s driving them, the will (to live). There is a striking similarity with the Buddhist idea that only in the Human realm, escape from Samsara is possible.

Now let`s have a look what Schopenhauer recommends to eliminate the will. In his main work „The world as will and represantion“, he recommends strong ascesis. He says that deliberatly seeking the unpleasant, self-mortification and the avoidance of pleasure breaks the will.He praises christian self-mortification and sees catholizism as a life denying religion, while smashing Judaism, Protestantism and Islam as life affirming and therefore wrong. He rejects the idea from the Genesis, in which God made the world and praised himself saying „Everything was good“ as baseless optimism and claims that only Catholicism and Indian Religions, especially Buddhism are pessimistic and therefore right. Catholicism is pessimistic through the idea of original sin, that we all are born guilty and sinful while Buddhism is pessimistic because it propagates to escape the round of rebirths, also known as Samsara. Although both Religions offer escape, one thru Jesus, the other thru the noble eightfold path, they are pessimistic in their outlook to the world.

For Schopenhauer, suicide is not a denial of the will but an affirmation. A suicidal wants life, he merely does not want it under the circumstances he has. An exception is voluntary starvation, in which the will is denied because no action is taken to prolong life. As long as there is will, there is life, a similar idea to the Buddhist conviction that death is not the end of phenomena, for as long as Karma is there, existance will continue.

Schopenhauer is aware that Buddhism rejects strong ascesis. In „The World as Will and Represantion“ he writes:
    „Because poverty, austerity and one`s own suffering in multiple forms already are inflicted thru the complete practice of moral virtues, many discard, and perhaps rightly discard, asceticism in the strongest sense, meaning they don`t abandon every belonging, they don´t delibratly seek the unpleasant and the detestable, they don`t inflict pain to themselves and they don`t fast. They discard the "hair shirt" and mortification as being superfluous. Justice itself gives the hair shirt, which is a constant strain to its owner and human kindness giving away the neccessary is the everlasting fasting. That`s why Buddhism is free of that specific kind of grim and exaggerated asceticism, is free from mortification/inflicting pain to oneself, which plays such a big role within Brahaminism. There (within buddhism) celibacy, voluntary poverty, humbleness and obedience of the monks and abstention from food made out of animals as well as from worldliness is enough.“

The Buddha clearly rejected harsh ascesis as not leading to final deliverance, Nirvana. Although Schopenhauer is aware of it, he seems not to accept the exclusivity of the noble eightfold path, he merely sees what he sees as Buddhist practice as enough. Nevertheless I think that the goals of Schopenhauer and Buddhism are the same. Both want to end worldly activity, Karma, literally action, which can be translated as intention or will, has to be ended if one wants to reach the final Buddhist goal, Nirvana: „"Kamma should be known. The cause by which kamma comes into play should be known. The diversity in kamma should be known. The result of kamma should be known. The cessation of kamma should be known. The path of practice for the cessation of kamma should be known. „(AN 6.63) I therefore think that the end of kamma is an equivalent to the denial of the will.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I prefer Nietzsche. :)
    edited February 2008
    ajani_mgo wrote: »
    I prefer Nietzsche. :)

Good to know that someone else still loves old Freddy. Why do you, Ajani?
    edited February 2008
    Why not? Gee... Everyone loves Superman!

Nietzsche a poor bloke who is so frequently misinterpreted and abused - I think it really takes someone who had as difficult a relationship with God as he did to really get the implication of what he was saying. Even my teacher's first impressions of him is that of a Nazist! (And she took Philosophy 101 before in university) - although many of his ideas were later supplemented with Sartre's 'existence precedes essence', he laid the infrastructure of existentialist thought for others to follow. Most interestingly is his ideas of the Superman - to conquer oneself and realise humanity, as a "super"-human apart from the rest who bind themselves by chains and almost innate delusions.

Also, his usage of the "genealogical method" was the basis of much of Foucault's thinking later - and Foucault is my idol! Heh - for my thesis now, as a epistemology student in college, it is Foucault I think who influences my philosophy of knowledge. :)
  • edited February 2008
    Not to argue here with you about Nietzsche, but he can in fact be interpreted as a Fascist. That he contradicts his statements ever now and then does not change the fact he advocated suffering as a means to grow, argued against compassion etc, direct contradictions to the Buddha`s teaching. Nietzsche said many clever things, and many stupid things. His life affirming philosophy is the direct opposite of that of Schopenhauer, from which he started and got his idea of the primary importance of the will (to power)
    edited February 2008
    I was lucky enough to read Zarathustra before I had been told anything about it. Ever since then, I have seen him as much of a mystic and prophet as a philosopher. A philosopher in the Greek tradition if you like.

Those of us who hold that the 'spiritual' is important must take seriously his critique because it has become the common currency of the dialogue.

To call him a fascist is anachronistic and an historical solecism. Mussolini and Gentile coined the word a couple of decades after Nietzsche's death.
    edited February 2008
    fofoo wrote: »
    Not to argue here with you about Nietzsche, but he can in fact be interpreted as a Fascist. That he contradicts his statements ever now and then does not change the fact he advocated suffering as a means to grow, argued against compassion etc, direct contradictions to the Buddha`s teaching. Nietzsche said many clever things, and many stupid things. His life affirming philosophy is the direct opposite of that of Schopenhauer, from which he started and got his idea of the primary importance of the will (to power)

Well, that is one way to look at it - in fact I notice no book of the topic of Nietzsche can ever properly shun away from mentioning this part of the interpretation in their text. Yes, the 'Will to Power' is one hell of a concept so easily quoted and used by a million different people with a million different ideologies - but one must partially blame Nietzsche himself, (who really sucks in organisation skills, but who does rock?), for much of his ideas seem to "go halfway" then stop at a point of extreme danger and fatalism, but it is the further thinking and reflection of that which really makes Nietzsche a genius and a non-fascist. Formulations of his like 'God is Dead' are dangerous to hear, but are key to the later elaborations by existentialist thinkers like Sartre's "Existence precedes Essence' and Nietzsche's own attack on senseless virtue.

We have an idea, but what do we do with it? I think it is not fair to blame Nietzsche for a thought others manipulated into action.

Nietzsche was a complex person with a complex question - existentialist themes, however, were never his invention - rather he was the first best-known person to step out and step into Unreason. We see existentialist themes too in the biblical book of Ecclesiastes - where the author in the end, by his fragile humanity, cannot bear to face the possible truth where he is living a life of emptiness, and instead goes onto a return to God - whether or not he exists or not. It is this inherent weakness to Truth Nietzsche saw in Man, that led him onto the path of no return, to dare walk into the horrible Truth (or rather knowledge, if you should argue that our knowledge of the existence of God is after all only knowledge) and leave his human weakness behind. From there, Nietzsche saw that the long, windy road could only be accomplished by someone who really abandoned all of his humanity (which connotes weakness) to accomplish super-humanity (which connotes the fundamental truth of human existence - existence itself). The Superman Nietzsche really wanted was someone who was more radical than the ascetics of Hinduism; the Buddha during his period of self-torture; the individual who destroys himself - aloof, abandoned, existentialist.

It may indeed be against the teachings of the Buddha, who preached the Middle Path and a concern for others. Yet one cannot discount what Nietzsche said - the implications of his philosophy are great and scary. We cannot attack his framework - every argument he makes is deeply-intriguing. We can only make the choice to think for ourselves which framework we actually want for our own lives, but to me personally, I see where Nietzsche and the Buddha may be similar, and where they may also be different. If not Nietzsche, to say that I follow Sartre would be perhaps a more moderate choice in equal effect - I still find myself an existentialist, as much as I am Buddhist. I guess this should not be the case, given the contradictions, but well, this happens. :)
    edited February 2008
    Ajani_mgo,

Thank you for your commentary on Nietzsche and, particularly, what I have noticed as missing from much analysis of his thought: compassion for the man himself.

It can be argued that the person of the thinker should be irrelevant and I have often been criticised for this insistence of mine: all thoughts and ideas are dependent, contingent and outcomes of multiple causes which meet in this 'thinker', be they poet, dramatist, novelist or philosopher. All 'stand on the shoulders of giants' and some insist on trying to jump even higher. Of these, some land back on safe shoulders, and other crash and burn.

Nietzsche seems to me to be a puzzle if he is considered simply as a philosopher. He was a myth-maker and has become a myth himself.

Joseph Campbell suggested that we are living in a time without its all-encompassing myth similar to 'primitive' cultures. My own analysis suggests that Nietzsche is a prophet of the myth of our age. In many ways, the story he weaves, the particular vision of life, seems to become more persuasive as time goes by.

Ecclesiastes is clearly written during the Exile and its pessimism makes it a perfect progenitor for Nietzsche: the Israelites in exile had no God - He was back in Jerusalem in the Temple (see good old Ezekiel) and they were experiencing the same emptiness as ourselves.

You suggest, as do so many others, that Nietzsche's vision is anti-Dharmic but I would disagree. It is the voice of the first three Noble Truths. Even the Third is there (in essence) in the myth of the "free-wheeling Child".

• edited February 2008
    I started reading Zarathustra in university, but put it away after a friend rebuked me for reading Nazi propaganda. I just downloaded the text from Project Gutenberg, planning on finally finishing reading it. Thanks Ajani and Simon!

I still consider myself a bit of an existentialist too, fell wildly in love with their works in my first couple of years of university. I think Kierkegaard's my favourite, even though I was never a Christian.