Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enhanced Perceptions vs Sensory Desire

In the eighteen months since I started practicing to become Buddhst I have noticed that my perceptions of the world are becoming enhanced. I first noticed it with music and then sound in general, the layers of sound as I'm walking down the road can be overwhelming and I am listening to tracks I have listened to for decades and only now am I hearing some of the music involved. The colours seem brighter, my depth of field has increased and noticing the detail is incredible. I am tasting subtle flavours in my food not just the combination or strong flavours.

I am not claiming my practice has given me superpowers but quite the opposite, I thinking less about me and what I once perceived as my problems and am now starting to live in the moment.

Is this what is warned about as sensory desire? I don't seek these things but just notice them going on around me and for every moment of this there are probably ten when I am at work or just sitting alone with my thoughts and I have no craving or these moments. I don't eat expensive foods for more taste or listen to special music for the effects, I just notice if it's there.
lobsteroceancaldera207Dandelion

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    The senses rise and fade, keep walking. Sense desire is more about the drive to acquire pleasing senses or inhibit displeasing senses. As we gain concentration, more of our faculties are available. As a deepening of awareness of the senses arises, do they generate ripples in your mind?

Said differently, if you sit in wonderment at how many lanes on the highway you're experiencing, and are allured/repulsed by the cars, it could be problematic. If it is breath, cars yep cars, breath, no problem, just more data, no biggie.

Imho
  • Sounds super normal :clap:
    . . . as you become aware of what is, rather than dissipated by monkey mind . . .
    Such conditions are mentioned here, don't get caught up in how it corresponds exactly . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyāna_in_Buddhism

It will change. Guaranteed. What fun.
    I am still 'practicing to become Buddhist'. So far, so nothing . . . :wave:
    FairyFeller
  • In the eighteen months since I started practicing to become Buddhst I have noticed that my perceptions of the world are becoming enhanced. I first noticed it with music and then sound in general, the layers of sound as I'm walking down the road can be overwhelming and I am listening to tracks I have listened to for decades and only now am I hearing some of the music involved. The colours seem brighter, my depth of field has increased and noticing the detail is incredible. I am tasting subtle flavours in my food not just the combination or strong flavours.

I am not claiming my practice has given me superpowers but quite the opposite, I thinking less about me and what I once perceived as my problems and am now starting to live in the moment.

Is this what is warned about as sensory desire? I don't seek these things but just notice them going on around me and for every moment of this there are probably ten when I am at work or just sitting alone with my thoughts and I have no craving or these moments. I don't eat expensive foods for more taste or listen to special music for the effects, I just notice if it's there.

If you notice it is there, it is there. Noticing is not desiring. Keep on noticing!
  • I might worry about bipolar disorder and if so get help fast.
    lobster
  • I might worry about bipolar disorder and if so get help fast
    Really? You intuit that? Sounds like spiritual hypochondria . . .
    Not everything is relative to our experience. I fully understand the concern though . . .

There is a Sufi story about how a notable doctor who was tested by being visited by fit and able people. He diagnosed medicine for each one. When asked about this he said, 'I am so used to diagnosing the sick, that the flush of well being is seen as a fever.'
    oceancaldera207
  • @lobster, those were just my symptoms. Brighter colors and more audio consciousness. It might not be for Fairy Feller but for me it was.

• Jeffrey said:

@lobster, those were just my symptoms. Brighter colors and more audio consciousness. It might not be for Fairy Feller but for me it was.

I appreciate that. I meant no offence. :o

It just came as a surprise as I got no sense of that. However meditation psychosis is a possibility . . .
    http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/meditation-related-psychosis-from.html
    Jeffrey
  • psychosis without medicines is very pleasurable at first but then the mind makes so many webs and there is not any letting go of concepts, you just keep getting more and more delusions and eventually, at least for me, I would get terrified and self abusive.

But I remember the first day I was manic and I went jogging and a girl said 'good morning' to me and it was like the warmest feeling. It's kind of like the beginning stages of love, but the sense distortions are more noticeable above.
  • Jeffrey said:

@lobster, those were just my symptoms. Brighter colors and more audio consciousness. It might not be for Fairy Feller but for me it was.

In my case I think it's about my change of pace with life and the time I take to look, listen and taste things and the way I do it.

What's weird is that I have developed an almost tangible space within me for meditation, when I'm meditating it's almost like I am in a room within myself where I can distance myself from my body and monitor my breathing analyse pains, itches rather than just react to them.
  • That sounds good. Maybe I just didn't fly over the bridge when I had my onset of illness. For all I know there can be people who see the bright colors without damage to the third eye or subtle winds or whatever it is that I am afflicted with.

Don't let me scare you but if things get out of hand just remember Jeffrey says that with medicines and therapy you can overcome a mental handicap. That's on the little chance that you are developing a brain disorder ie mental. If it's a disorder it's not your fault; you just got bad brain chemistry.

So I will pray that you have no mental health issue

_/\_
  • Just thought I'd say that in my meditative practice, I can willfully increase sensitivity to sensory perception and other things like this. It can be controlled like a light switch. Focusing on certain principles will bring bodywide pleasure and well being sensations within a few seconds..  You can also willfully desensitize pain to some extent but of course such things require a lot of energy , focus and confidence. Of course, these things pale in comparison to what people have achieved with the mind. Shaolin comes to mind.
    Just don't want you to think there's something wrong with you.
  • What's weird is that I have developed an almost tangible space within me for meditation, when I'm meditating it's almost like I am in a room within myself where I can distance myself from my body and monitor my breathing analyse pains, itches rather than just react to them.
    Understood, sounds good. More internal space.
    Even though ultimately this is a separation into observer and observed, it is a useful process. People say 'just be the breathing, pain, itches' etc, that will come with time/instruction.
    This awareness of the multiple arisings as not boring or to be run from or causing agitation etc. has now been superseded. Sounds right.
    Eventually a more integrated acceptance and 'just is arising' becomes the norm . . .
    Feelings of increased 'sense joy', where 'mundane' experiences are more intense is fine and to be expected. :clap:
    Jeffrey