Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

panoramic experience*

oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
edited August 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I have always loved certain c'han sayings for their clarity, freedom, and openness. I hope to post a series of these, in the hopes that you may find them refreshing and energizing, regardless of your school or system.

Hóngzhì Zhēngjué, (宏智正覺) 1091-1157 CE

When you are empty and spontaneously aware, clean and spontaneously clear, you are capable of panoramic consciousness without making an effort to grasp perception, and you are capable of discerning understanding without the burden of conditioned thought. You go beyond being and nothingness, and transcend conceiveable feelings. This is only experienced by a union with it - it is not gotten by another.

and

The time when you "see the sun in the daytime and see the moon at night", when you are not deceived, this is the normal behavior of a meditative practitioner, naturally without edges or seams. If you want to attain this kind of normalcy, you have to put an end to the subtle pounding and weaving that goes on in your mind.

hongzhi zhengjue left home at the age of 11 to become a monk. he taught for 30 years at the jingde tian-tong mountain monastery, until shortly before his death, when he ventured down the mountain to bid his supporters farewell.

riverflowJeffrey

Comments

• oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Even now years later I am still surprised at how effective some of these phrases are at providing an immediate change in consciousness (if meditated upon.) I could not have been more lucky to find these phrases at the beginning of my journey, as they gave me an immediate taste of the effects of Buddhist practice.From the beginning I had the benefit of experiencing periods of clear thought and emotional stability.. so I knew that there was definite payoff as well as plenty of room to grow.
    riverflow
  • ^^^ I often have experienced the same with Hongzhi and also at times with Dogen. Thank you for sharing!
    oceancaldera207
  • It sounds similar to the system my Lama uses.
    When you are empty and spontaneously aware, clean and spontaneously clear, you are capable of panoramic consciousness without making an effort to grasp perception
    These are the qualities of awareness my teacher speaks about in each of her 1:30 minute dharma talks it seems. Openness, clarity, and sensitivity are the qualities which each of us can find in their awareness right now even. As we study we stabilize alighment? with these three. She has said awareness is panoramic like it can perceive a number of things at once and it makes a perception that is intuitive, like you can merge on the highway taking all of the driving factors into consideration in effect. And also like you are spaced out thinking of home and then a split second you attend to the mandala of driving.
    oceancaldera207
  • Openness, clarity, and sensitivity are the qualities which each of us can find in their awareness right now even
    I like this
    Jeffrey