Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is your shampoo killing you?

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited August 2013
    The degree of exposure must be really low. Meanwhile most Americans stuff all sorts of crap into their mouths... hmmmmm
    DaltheJigsaw
  • I have to use a special shampoo for psoriasis, I dunno if that would have said chemicals in them.

I read on the internet and from a friend in Canada that if you have a diet that contains mostly alkaline foods rather than acidic ones, the chances of you getting cancer are almost zero. I do not know of the validity of this but here is the chart of foods.

• @nevermind

not every american is a total fool there are still people who care.

over 25 years would the degree of exposure be low if one took a shower everyday usuing them ? even small things add up.
  • I have to use a special shampoo for psoriasis, I dunno if that would have said chemicals in them.

I read on the internet and from a friend in Canada that if you have a diet that contains mostly alkaline foods rather than acidic ones, the chances of you getting cancer are almost zero. I do not know of the validity of this but here is the chart of foods.

it makes sense tom that alkaline foods would greatly reduce risk of cancer because lemons garlic and onions are all good foods to rid the body of free radicals. im not a PHD in holistic medicines or anything but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize those foods help purify the body.
  • blu3ree said:

I have to use a special shampoo for psoriasis, I dunno if that would have said chemicals in them.

it makes sense tom that alkaline foods would greatly reduce risk of cancer because lemons garlic and onions are all good foods to rid the body of free radicals. im not a PHD in holistic medicines or anything but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize those foods help purify the body.
    I have been squeezing a lime into a glass of water every morning for a while now, I don't know how bad that may or may not be for the stomach but I do it anyway, of course along side a healthy dose of fruit and veg every day.

Anyway my friend in Canada went as far to say that if you have a 100% alkaline diet you cannot get cancer. I asked him, well what if you are exposed to huge amounts of radiation or breath in a load of asbestos dust, he still claimed that you would not get cancer but could become ill in other ways... :/
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    No. My shampoo is not killing me.
    lobsterVastmind
  • My hair wash is also non lethal. May have been force fed to bunnies to ensure safety. Yep life sure is dukkha for shampoo testers [sob]

Anything else to worry about? :buck:
    http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx
  • I also heard that after like 6 weeks or so your hair starts to wash itself.. I have never tried and tested that theory though
    Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I also heard that after like 6 weeks or so your hair starts to wash itself.. I have never tried and tested that theory though

Whoops just pressed the insightful button instead of the 'quote'..must be a Head and Shoulders overdose.
    Anyway a friend of mine tested that out in the late sixties Tom. He also read ( in some magazine dealing with ' alternative ' lifestyles..alternative to what I am not sure..alternative to water anyway ) that your body cleans itself if you do not wash...He lasted about 6 or 7 weeks at which point his wife gave him an ultimatum if he ever wanted sex with her again...So he climbed into the shower...
    ThailandTomMaryAnne
  • I once knew a man who thought his shampoo was trying to kill him. He also claimed the body wash was talking about him behind his back, so I didn't pay much attention, only kept the sharp knives in the kitchen hidden when he visited.
    VastmindMaryAnneWonderingSeeker
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    For most people, I think there is probably more harm in the city air that they breathe than there is in their shampoo. That said I do use an all natural shampoo, but it's just what I like, not because I am worried about cancer. I wear clothes with chemicals in them, I sit on furniture and walk on flooring made of chemicals, my water is treated with chemicals. My exposure to those things is vastly more than my shampoo.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    WE are made of chemicals.
  • Just a little side note, I've heard that soap companies are phasing out triclosan, which has been shown to alter hormone levels in the body..that stuff was is in almost every soap that said 'antibiotic' on the label. Moreover, it seems that it's widespread use is pretty unnecessary. Lately I've seen it in deodorants.. been avoiding it myself
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Hair IS self-cleansing. My brother went for nearly a year without washing his hair with soap. After the initial 6 - 8 weeks as the head adjusts to the new regime, nobody could tell.

Washing the body is a whole different smelly, sweat-affected ball-game....
  • federica said:

Hair IS self-cleansing. My brother went for nearly a year without washing his hair with soap. After the initial 6 - 8 weeks as the head adjusts to the new regime, nobody could tell.

Washing the body is a whole different smelly, sweat-affected ball-game....

actually i agree with this, i rinse mine well twice a day but only shampoo once or twice a week. It seems to look and feel much better if you leave some of your natural oils intact. I first tried this after hearing that shampoo could be used to break up and remove the motor oil stains on your driveway!