Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• Why are you surprised there are murderous bigots in the world?
  • poptart said:

Why are you surprised there are murderous bigots in the world?

And that some of them opt for an easy life by joining the Theravada Sangha...
    karmablues
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited September 2013
    In fairness joining Tibetan sanghas for an easy life, and/or because there are lots of males in your family is not exactly unknown either.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Yes, I've been watching the ongoing ethnic cleansing campaign by the Buddhist population with the blessing and aid of the temples and government, which in that country are part of the same power structure. It is heartbreaking, watching monks distort and smear the Dharma in the name of hatred.

In the long history of Buddhism, this is hardly the first time the temples have been corrupted by snuggling up to the government. Monks have even gone to war against other monks.

I'm also disappointed that the other Buddhist temples and groups in the world aren't doing more to speak out and put public pressure on the temples to reign in renigade monks.
    Vastmind
  • The link says something about not being available oustide UK, I did a quick search and only found some references to a bomb that went off during a buddhist teaching...
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    This one isn't bad.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jul/22/myanmars-extremist-monk-blames-bombing-on-muslims/

I find it disheartening that the dharma can be taught by the fearful. I don't really care for the religions that have holy books full of war either but to become that which we fear is shameful.

It's just another elitist group using an ignorant one to gain and keep power and it is saddening they fly a Buddhist flag.